Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-25-2013   #21
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the rebuilding path?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
McNair bought into Kubiak's BS that it takes 5+ years to rebuild, which is clearly false. Look at the Chief.
The Chiefs had back to back seasons picking 1st and 11th .... then they added a former #1 overall pick at QB who has a record of 30-7 over the last three seasons.

I'd say they were the exception , not the rule .... Its not all that often teams make quality QB's available - The last two to move were Favre and Brees (You could throw Manning in the conversation but considering his health issues at the time , that was a highly questionable decision at the time).

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #22
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The Chiefs had back to back seasons picking 1st and 11th .... then they added a former #1 overall pick at QB who has a record of 30-7 over the last three seasons.

I'd say they were the exception , not the rule .... Its not all that often teams make quality QB's available - The last two to move were Favre and Brees (You could throw Manning in the conversation but considering his health issues at the time , that was a highly questionable decision at the time).
Some people wanted Schaub over Smith.

Discount those people as talent evaluators.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #23
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Posted this in the Kubiak thread, but how would you guys feel about Ray Horton? For reference, he was the secondary coach under Dick LeBeau with the Steelers and is the former defensive coordinator for the 2011-2012 Cardinals and is now the 2013 coordinator for the Browns. He runs a 3-4 so he wouldn't have to change the defense on a fundamental level, he has NFL experience as a defensive back and coach, and has coached a ton of really good secondary players like Paolumalu, Patrick Peterson, and most recently Joe Haden.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #24
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

We don't really need to "rebuild." That implies tearing the whole thing down and starting over from scratch at every position.

Fire Kubiak, fire Marciano, fire Rick Smith if you want, improve the offensive line at all costs, and work on bolstering the depth so when the inevitable injuries happen they're not as devastating as they have been the last few years. I mean, no amount of depth can cover what we've had to go through injury-wise in the last three years but the impact can be lessened a bit.

When healthy, we still have Arian Foster, Andre Johnson, Duane Brown, Owen Daniels, JJ Watt, Brian Cushing, Jonathan Joseph, Danieal Manning, and Kareem Jackson on this team. That's a whole helluva lot.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #25
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
2-9

After 8 yrs?
not saying anything about our current state, we've peaked and unfortunately fallen off the other side of the cliff this season. to say that in 2006 we could've hired someone to get us straight to 13 wins however is asinine. we built this team as it should've been done, through the draft. because of that we do have talent on this team that hopefully a new coach could turn around right away.

harbaugh inherited a ton of early first round draftees. much like us, kansas city was nowhere near as bad as their record. the teams people like to point to for the quick turnarounds all have talent to build on. the texans didnt when we hired kubiak and his "slow" "do it the right way" approach.
Old 11-25-2013   #26
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
...the texans didnt when we hired kubiak and his "slow" "do it the right way" approach.
Agreed. Two years after a change, AJ will not be the only current Texan still on the team.
Old 11-25-2013   #27
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Some people wanted Schaub over Smith.

Discount those people as talent evaluators.
I mentioned Smith before they extended Schaub ....Everyone said I was crazy. Wonder how Rick Smith feels about that $29.15m he gave Schaub now ?!

I Miss Good Schaub.
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2013   #28
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I mentioned Smith before they extended Schaub ....Everyone said I was crazy. Wonder how Rick Smith feels about that $29.15m he gave Schaub now ?!
Now that the guaranteed money is gone and it came before Flacco got signed to his mega-deal, I'd say pretty decent.
Old 11-25-2013   #29
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Now that the guaranteed money is gone and it came before Flacco got signed to his mega-deal, I'd say pretty decent.
The guaranteed $$$ isn't gone. ~$10.5m of it will be on the cap next year , or possibly the next two years depending upon how they decide to designate his cut.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 11-25-2013   #30
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The question should be does Rick feel as bad as you and I do?

Answer- doubtful

Does Gary? I believe he's a broken man,

I hate what he's having ro go thru, Although I would like his paycheck. LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #31
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say we have a solid foundation and a solid team but solid teams don't linger around for 8 years and not even reach the AFC Champ game soild teams don't never get the #1 seed

solid teams don't get beat by 1-8 jags team at home

Solid teams don't lose week 1 to Mark shanchez a rookie QB first game ever

Solid teams don't get beat by Rookie first tme starter ever in the NFL MIke mcgleenen

Solid teams don't get blown out to the rams with there backup QB at home

SOlid teams don't pee there pants and get blown out in foxborro TWICE !!!! wait 3 times once with carr

solid teams don't get blown out at heniz field week 1

Solid teams don't pee there pants like every prime time game

sOLID TEAMS don't go like 16-3 with the COLTS

I can go on and on
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #32
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Agreed,

Are you willin to wait until 2015 to get a great QB? Or are you wanting to reach an get the next Sam Bradford?

I hope you're not implying Bridgewater is anything like bradford are you? Maybe you're hurt because keenum ist the answer,but bridgewater is the best prospect since luck. So I dunno what you're implying. If the texans have the top pick,which it looks like they will,they take bridgewater and they're back at it. It will be the 1st time they have a guy who can do everything.
Old 11-25-2013   #33
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

either way the AFC south will have alooootttt of young QB's

all 4 teams
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #34
bhsman
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I hope you're not implying Bridgewater is anything like bradford are you? Maybe you're hurt because keenum ist the answer,but bridgewater is the best prospect since luck. So I dunno what you're implying. If the texans have the top pick,which it looks like they will,they take bridgewater and they're back at it. It will be the 1st time they have a guy who can do everything.
I'm not against a Bridgewater pick, especially if we have the first pick and the new coach (assuming Kubiak is let go) wants 'his guy', but I'm really hoping for Clowney at this point.
Old 11-25-2013   #35
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
We don't really need to "rebuild." That implies tearing the whole thing down and starting over from scratch at every position.

Fire Kubiak, fire Marciano, fire Rick Smith if you want, improve the offensive line at all costs, and work on bolstering the depth so when the inevitable injuries happen they're not as devastating as they have been the last few years. I mean, no amount of depth can cover what we've had to go through injury-wise in the last three years but the impact can be lessened a bit.

When healthy, we still have Arian Foster, Andre Johnson, Duane Brown, Owen Daniels, JJ Watt, Brian Cushing, Jonathan Joseph, Danieal Manning, and Kareem Jackson on this team. That's a whole helluva lot.
I'm sorry but I disagree. Our coaches did not have the backups ready to perform. You want to say injuries were bad the last three years? The only thing that was bad was the coaching, going into a season playing 3-4 with only one starting calibre ilb? That's bad, real bad. Manning got injured? You've had Keo around for years, coach him up or replace him.

Schaub gets a career ending injury 3 years ago? Why did you resign him and still hobble him out there?

Who else has been injured really? And why are all our 2nd and 3rd round picks inadequate depth?
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #36
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

What exactly are you disagreeing with? The depth was bad because the talent and coaching was bad.

We've had an insane, unfathomable amount of injuries over the last three years. Do I really have to make the list for you?
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #37
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
What exactly are you disagreeing with? The depth was bad because the talent and coaching was bad.

We've had an insane, unfathomable amount of injuries over the last three years. Do I really have to make the list for you?

While ur making that list,go to the broncos and patriots and make a list too.I'm pretty sure they've lost as many if not more probowl/high caliber ball players as the texans have. While you're at it,go look at the gb packers superbowl team that had 15 players on ir.
Old 11-25-2013   #38
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I am going to assume the Texans need to rebuild. Further, I am going to assume they make some changes in the coaching and maybe the front office before next season. Given that, how should the Texans rebuild this time?

Option 1:

Do it "the right way". Get about 6 wins next year, go 8-8 for a couple of non-losing seasons, reach the winning goal of 9-7, and then in year five win 11 or 12 games and make the play-offs.

Option 2:

Take the approach to try and turn it around next year and make some noise in the play-offs the year after that. This approach risks...well, I'm not sure it risks anything. I was never clear on that.

I'll go on the record for option 2. I'd like to see them improve quickly.

In the new NFL it does not take 3-4 years to "rebuild". We see it season after season now. Look at the Seahawks, Colts, Chiefs those are just a few examples in the last 2 seasons. With a new coaching staff i BELIEVE this team with the current roster including the guys on IR could win a superbowl. This season will help us get a few more pieces to help. But i dont see a need for a full on gut/rebuild.
Old 11-25-2013   #39
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
While ur making that list,go to the broncos and patriots and make a list too.I'm pretty sure they've lost as many if not more probowl/high caliber ball players as the texans have. While you're at it,go look at the gb packers superbowl team that had 15 players on ir.
This is exactly what I'm getting at. It's an injury sport, that's why you have so many players in camp. It isn't as if when someone gets injured you might as well send me out there and try and get the most you can out of me. You have other professional players who you've put time into.

Injury is not an excuse over a 3 year period. It isn't an excuse over a one year period when you've had 8 years to put your roster together.

Sure Cushing going down 2 years running is bad, but why is it that street FAs are better than guys we've had around this team for 2 or 3 years? Is it really easier to perform when you've had a week or two with these fools coaching you than if you've had 2 years of their tuition?

It's all headed up by a QB guru who's had all 3 of his QBs regress markedly over the past 3 years. Keenum looked just like a Kubiak QB yesterday.

Why haven't they got a backup cornerback capable of handling the outside?

The packers have lost Rodgers FFs and you think we've got injury problems? What about the pats last year when we went to foxboro, they were jacked up all over the place and running 3rd stringers at many positions.

Yes there have been injuries. No it isn't an excuse for 2-9. If we were somewhere around .500, if the injuries had struck before the losing streak began, maybe you'd be able to say aww shucks better luck next time.

Unfortunately this Super Bowl favourite team is suddenly bottom of the pile. And don't try and pad out the injury stats with guys who've called time on a lost season either.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #40
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 10496 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
At least he has a good vision.
He has someone else's vision and hasn't been successful implementing it. Probably because he doesn't know any more about those two clubs than the typical fan.
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read