Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2013   #181
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: What is the rebuilding path?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post

So how's that going? Is she top of the class or just barely hangin'?
Actually deans list pretty much. The typo on nursing school,lol.
Old 12-05-2013   #182
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Actually deans list pretty much. The typo on nursing school,lol.
Yeah, I know. Just funnin'.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #183
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87188 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets clarify some things for some of you.

Rebuilding - Having to dismantle the team and REBUILD the roster. Something that truly does not happen that often. But when it does the team regresses badly for quite some time. This is what we did when Gary FIRST got here. This is what the Jets and Jaguars are doing.

ReTOOLING - Having to make a few changes, MAYBE you change some coaches and bring in a new philosophy. This is a quick turnaround and will will not require a roster rebuild. We have NEVER done this, but its something a team does to jump start the "heart". The Chiefs and Eagles are the most recent examples.

NOW of those 2, which do you think we are?

Clearly we are just retooling. A new head coach, a defensive upgrade and some upgrades to our oline. (qb is for another discussion) We will bounce back in no time, AND the idea that it takes years to flip a team is garbage and the Falcons, Seattle and Eagles showed you that's garbage.
Old 12-05-2013   #184
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The difference is I dont see Bridgewater in the class of Stafford. You see Bridgewater as a franchise QB, I dont. But I really like the back and forth conversation you are providing. Lots of respect for your hisorical perspective.

I here ya about kids and college. I've got a very bright (took after his mom) 19 yr old that is failing a class because he cant get out of bed and nake it to class by 8:00. (Frustration)
Well, just about every notable draft "expert" would disagree with you.

Let me guess, you believe we should build up the line and draft AJ McCarron?

So he can join the likes of all the other Pro Bowl SEC QBs (not including last name Manning) killing it in the NFL these days? Cam Newton and Stafford are all that's left and w/out Megatron I don't think Stafford would even be a .500 QB. McCarron will fail like all the rest. He should shoot to be a Matt Lionheart, and hope to ride the pine and chill in hot tubs w/ hookers, praying his name never gets called.

We can't continue spending first round picks on our line every year and wait for this mystic QB to come riding in on their stallion. He's no Andrew Luck, but the last one like that before him was Peyton Manning. With that said Peyton only won 1 Super Bowl and a lot of others have won them in the meantime. Teddy is the guy. I am just waiting for April so I can buy my Bridgewater Texans jersey.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #185
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Prett obvious even this earl y in the process. Get the qb,fill in the other holes.
Old 12-06-2013   #186
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 18049 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see us take a LB, preferably Anthony Barr, with the first overall. Our tackling is atrocious and we can't cover a TE for anything, LB is the most desperate need.

I may be in the minority, but I'm content to give Keenum a second look next year. Keenum's essentially a rookie and has performed admirably amid multiple systems failure and a regime collapse. With a fresh HC, some hard work, and major oline improvements we could set him up for success and get a real look at what we're working with. Also, he would be cheap compared to a first overall pick or star veteran; this is important because we have a lot of positions to improve on and will need more cap space than we have.
Old 12-06-2013   #187
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

With this dreadful season comes high draft position with trade back possibilities also another small advantage is remaining League cuts the Texans have first choice may not help but could be a hidden value in the offseason.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2013   #188
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

This season reminds me of similarities between the 2005-2006 season where we stuck with Carr for a few years (don't recall how many), drafted Mario Williams (DE), and hired a new HC in Kubiak.

With that being said I would do the following:

1.) Hire Lovie Smith (I want a proven HC and not some OC/DC being given the HC gig for the first time).

2.) Draft Clowney (not the biggest fan but him and JJ Watt can secure the line for years to come)

3.) ?????

4.) Win Super Bowl XLIX
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #189
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Lets clarify some things for some of you.

Rebuilding - Having to dismantle the team and REBUILD the roster. Something that truly does not happen that often. But when it does the team regresses badly for quite some time. This is what we did when Gary FIRST got here. This is what the Jets and Jaguars are doing.

ReTOOLING - Having to make a few changes, MAYBE you change some coaches and bring in a new philosophy. This is a quick turnaround and will will not require a roster rebuild. We have NEVER done this, but its something a team does to jump start the "heart". The Chiefs and Eagles are the most recent examples.

NOW of those 2, which do you think we are?

Clearly we are just retooling. A new head coach, a defensive upgrade and some upgrades to our oline. (qb is for another discussion) We will bounce back in no time, AND the idea that it takes years to flip a team is garbage and the Falcons, Seattle and Eagles showed you that's garbage.
Well said and I agree. I have long said that changing coaches would not be as scary as people think. If you take a hard look at this team, a lot of the pieces are there. It's just a matter of putting it all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #190
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

McNair made it clear we are not rebuilding.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #191
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
This season made it clear that slow and steady was just another name for under-achievement and repeated failure. Even McNair could no longer convince himself otherwise.
Old 12-06-2013   #192
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
While that's a great idea, I don't know how possible it is. I haven't heard too many owners say, "We're rebuilding now."

On the offensive side, we're built for a Kubiak/Shanahan offense that's based primarily on the ZBS. After being used so much last year, I don't know how much tread is left on Arian's tires and I don't know if we keep Tate. I also don't think we have THE QB. So that means we're going to have to make moves across the line, at QB, and probably at RB.

On the defensive side, we're built for a penetrating 3-4/5-2. Our CBs are risky and the only good safety we have is Swearinger, who's scary in his immaturity. At LB, we've got Cushing who's questionable because of his health and then we've got a bunch of scrubs. On the DL, what we're going to do depends on the DC we get and his defense. If we go to 4, Mercilus and Reed will probably be asked to gain weight and drop down on to the line; if we go to an old-school 3-4, we've got to get an NT and then Watt and Smith become questions.

I think there's some talent on this team but the more I think about it, the more I'm worried that whoever we get to coach is going to have to get really creative to use it and will probably blow things up and start from scratch.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #193
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

whatever term you used to describe it, with a new head coach they will rebuild. To what degree is the question.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #194
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

A few weeks ago I was all for sorting the o line this season and nabbing our QB of the future next season.

With cases struggles, I'm taking a QB first and fixing holes after that.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #195
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
I would like to see us take a LB, preferably Anthony Barr, with the first overall. Our tackling is atrocious and we can't cover a TE for anything, LB is the most desperate need.

I may be in the minority, but I'm content to give Keenum a second look next year. Keenum's essentially a rookie and has performed admirably amid multiple systems failure and a regime collapse. With a fresh HC, some hard work, and major oline improvements we could set him up for success and get a real look at what we're working with. Also, he would be cheap compared to a first overall pick or star veteran; this is important because we have a lot of positions to improve on and will need more cap space than we have.
I am a UH Grad and went to and saw Keenum play MANY games while I was there. It should go without saying I am probably one of his biggest fans and die hard supporters.

With that said... He's gone 0-7. Regardless of how close he might have came all of those games, he's gone 0-7. That includes 3 games to the Jags and Raiders with a first time starting QB. Those teams are dumpster fires and if Case can't beat them after half a season, then I'm sorry, but QB is the most pressing position there is.

The Colts with ALL of their flaws (and everyone knows a 2-14 team has them) took at QB #1 and made the playoffs at 11-5 the next year with one major change... the #1 pick.
Old 12-07-2013   #196
TexansFTW
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
This season reminds me of similarities between the 2005-2006 season where we stuck with Carr for a few years (don't recall how many), drafted Mario Williams (DE), and hired a new HC in Kubiak.

With that being said I would do the following:

1.) Hire Lovie Smith (I want a proven HC and not some OC/DC being given the HC gig for the first time).

2.) Draft Clowney (not the biggest fan but him and JJ Watt can secure the line for years to come)

3.) ?????

4.) Win Super Bowl XLIX
Take a look at what "The Game Changer" Clowney has done this year and then read a little bit about what NFL scouts have been saying about him and try to convince yourself he is the answer.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...deveon-clowney
Old 12-07-2013   #197
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I am a UH Grad and went to and saw Keenum play MANY games while I was there. It should go without saying I am probably one of his biggest fans and die hard supporters.

With that said... He's gone 0-7. Regardless of how close he might have came all of those games, he's gone 0-7. That includes 3 games to the Jags and Raiders with a first time starting QB. Those teams are dumpster fires and if Case can't beat them after half a season, then I'm sorry, but QB is the most pressing position there is.

The Colts with ALL of their flaws (and everyone knows a 2-14 team has them) took at QB #1 and made the playoffs at 11-5 the next year with one major change... the #1 pick.
O-7. In two of those games, he did not even get to finish the third quarter. The Texans D giving up big play to big play against Oakland. Jags have been playing better. I'm not going to worry too much about the record that Keenum has right now. I don't think that is fair to put that on him when the team is complete **** this season. I'm more focused on how Keenum is ACTUALLY PLAYING. Going by his actual play (and taking into account Kubiak), he has done okay. He has shown enough flashes imo to still have that potential of being a starting QB for a playoff team. At worst, he is one of the better backups in the NFL.

I do not believe there is a franchise QB at the top, so take Clowney and see how far Manziel falls would be what I would do. NO TEDDY!
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #198
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
O-7. In two of those games, he did not even get to finish the third quarter. The Texans D giving up big play to big play against Oakland. Jags have been playing better. I'm not going to worry too much about the record that Keenum has right now. I don't think that is fair to put that on him when the team is complete **** this season. I'm more focused on how Keenum is ACTUALLY PLAYING. Going by his actual play (and taking into account Kubiak), he has done okay. He has shown enough flashes imo to still have that potential of being a starting QB for a playoff team. At worst, he is one of the better backups in the NFL.

I do not believe there is a franchise QB at the top, so take Clowney and see how far Manziel falls would be what I would do. NO TEDDY!
No Johnny either. Keep looking.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #199
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111406 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post

Keenum is not the answer.

He had a few nice spots in his first 3 games and looked like he was doing his part. He started off

57 of 102
822 Yards
7 TDs
0 INT
8.5 ypa
Passer Rating 105.1

In his first 3 games.

Since then?
62 of 117
770 Passing Yards
2 TDs
4 INTs
6.5 ypa
Passer Rating 65.1

Nobody was ready for him and nobody knew what to expect with him in the game. His first 3 games there was nothing to gameplan against but since then it has become painstakingly obvious that if you get pressure on him he will start to feel pressure that isn't there and break away from the pocket. There is no doubting he's exciting to watch, much moreso than Schaub but he is inconsistent and has some glaring weaknesses. He is kind of like doug flutie meets tony Romo.

We need a QB!

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013   #200
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37160 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I've watched of Teddy Bridgewater...

He has more physical tools than David Garrard (referenced him due to his display of toughness,) and a mind for the game like Byron Leftwich. He has almost no NFL talent around him, except MAYBE his favorite receiver, #9. When they play big schools, he's shown he's belonged.

Is he a #1 pick?

If the Texans are holding that pick, they have no choice but to take him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read