Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-18-2014   #201
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hey guys, what do you think about Derek Carr..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
lol i found hulk75's twitter. Shockingly pimping his brother like he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Those two show such unwavering support for each other. I admire that.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #202
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 78643 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm OK with drafting Carr at somewhere other than 1.1

I also agree with Cak's take.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #203
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
McShay has a fourth-round grade on QB Carr

Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay has a fourth-round grade on Fresno State QB Derek Carr.

McShay also labeled Carr the biggest risk of the quarterback group since people are mentioning him in the first-round. "I don't see it," McShay began. "60 percent of his throws within five yards of the line of scrimmage, struggles against pressure and that tape I watched against USC, that is not a quarterback, to me, that looks like a potential starter in the league."

It can be difficult to separate quarterbacks from systems, and Carr's inability to fire in the face of a pass rush has been well documented in the form of poor balance, but we still expect him to be, at worst, an early second-round pick.
can't quite place it, but this sounds vaguely familiar.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #204
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr might be my favorite QB in this Draft, but are the rumors true that the Texans have taken him (or any QB with the name "Carr") off of their Board ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #205
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Carr might be my favorite QB in this Draft, but are the rumors true that the Texans have taken him (or any QB with the name "Carr") off of their Board ?
O'Brien addressed that specifically a while back and said "not at all."
Old 04-21-2014   #206
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
The Texans care about winning. If they think Carr gives them the best chance of winning, long term, we'll take him. If not... we won't.

I can't look at this bunch of QBs & understand how anyone would think Carr gives anyone the best chance to win. He is not a franchise changing type of QB, like Peyton or Elway. He's not a Day 1 Starter. He's a developmental guy as far as I can see & I'm glad the media has him as a 1st round prospect.
Old 04-21-2014   #207
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Carr is actually similar to Savage in physical talent, but with three key differences.

1. Savage did play in a system that better prepared him for the NFL game (albeit only for one year). Carr didn't.

2. Savage doesn't seem to notice pressure at all, which may be why he holds onto the ball forever and takes so many sacks. Carr does notice pressure, but becomes a terrible QB when he is pressured.

3. Carr's production is light years better, but is also helped by his offensive system and level of competition.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2014   #208
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I think Carr is actually similar to Savage in physical talent, but with three key differences.

1. Savage did play in a system that better prepared him for the NFL game (albeit only for one year). Carr didn't.

2. Savage doesn't seem to notice pressure at all, which may be why he holds onto the ball forever and takes so many sacks. Carr does notice pressure, but becomes a terrible QB when he is pressured.

3. Carr's production is light years better, but is also helped by his offensive system and level of competition.
One of the things I look for, is how often the guy throws the ball away. Sometimes, throwing the ball away is the right decisions. Sometimes it's not. Sometimes a guy will throw it away too early, sometimes they wait too long.

Very few of the guys in this draft have ever made the decision to throw the ball away. From what little bit I've been able to watch, since I don't watch college football & only have what's on the net.

Savage made that decision a lot. With the little bit that's out there on him, you've got plenty to base your judgement on how he did making that decision. With Carr, it looks like it was never an option. I get that same feeling with Manziel, with Bridgewater, with several of these guys.

It's not something that I'll hold against a guy, or push up a guy for, not on it's own. But it's something I would have to ask Carr about during an interview, then I've got to judge how much of his answer I want to believe. Is he just telling me what he thinks I want to hear?

90% of the time, throwing the ball away has to be an option in my QBs mind. Carr & Bridgewater, at least, have never taken a 20 yard sack or put the team in a tough position (that I know of) for not giving up on a play though, but I think that is not very likely in the NFL.
Old 04-21-2014   #209
Lucky

Rep Power: 145631 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

1. Derek Carr did play in a traditional WCO his 1st 2 years at Fresno. So actually, he has as much, if not more, experience in a pro-style offense than Savage.
2. Regarding Carr, that's true. Even his college coach said that was a weakness, though he had improved. Pittsburgh was among the very worst in the nation in sacks allowed. As always, it's up to interpretation how much that is on the QB vs. the o-line.
3. That's true. Though Pitt and Fresno did have a common opponent (New Mexico). Both teams destroyed the Lobos.
Old 04-21-2014   #210
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
1. Derek Carr.
What do you think about David Fales? How do you think he compares/differs from Carr?
Old 04-21-2014   #211
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 306626 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Very few of the guys in this draft have ever made the decision to throw the ball away. From what little bit I've been able to watch, since I don't watch college football & only have what's on the net.

Savage made that decision a lot. With the little bit that's out there on him, you've got plenty to base your judgement on how he did making that decision. With Carr, it looks like it was never an option. I get that same feeling with Manziel, with Bridgewater, with several of these guys.
Well we saw different Carr games then. I commented during one Fresno game that Derek has better touch on his deep ball and knew to get rid of the ball (including not running out of bounds behind the LOS) much better than David.
Old 04-21-2014   #212
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
1. Derek Carr did play in a traditional WCO his 1st 2 years at Fresno. So actually, he has as much, if not more, experience in a pro-style offense than Savage.
2. Regarding Carr, that's true. Even his college coach said that was a weakness, though he had improved. Pittsburgh was among the very worst in the nation in sacks allowed. As always, it's up to interpretation how much that is on the QB vs. the o-line.
3. That's true. Though Pitt and Fresno did have a common opponent (New Mexico). Both teams destroyed the Lobos.
1. I wouldn't really count Carr's freshman year because he barely saw the field, but I did forget that he played his sophomore year under Jeff Grady before Pat Hill was fired. So I will amend my previous statement and say that each received one year of on-field experience in a NFL-style offense.

2. Pittsburgh does not appear to have a great OL. But after watching Savage, I'm forced to conclude that he has no idea when or where pressure is coming. He takes more bad sacks than any QB in this class not named Logan Thomas. That is just my opinion of course. Someone else may watch Pittsburgh and think Savage does just fine picking up pressure. But I would disagree.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #213
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

"He's got a live arm. Bright kid. Quick release. There's a lot of things to like about him. The only thing with Carr – he's in one of those dink-and-dunk offenses. He's got to get the ball downfield (in the NFL). There's a lot of throws that he's going to have to make on a consistent basis that we just haven't seen him do." – Former NFL general manager Jerry Angelo
Old 04-27-2014   #214
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Why Derek Carr Is the Best Quarterback in the 2014 NFL Draft
Quote:
Going back to the 2013 college football season we have seen multiple quarterbacks mentioned as the best quarterback available in this draft. The list includes Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater, Central Florida's Blake Bortles and Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel.

I have never bought into to any of those players as the top quarterback prospect. I wrote an article on this site a few weeks ago on why I felt that no quarterback in this class was worthy of being a top-10 selection. I felt then as I feel now that there are players at other positions who are deserving of being drafted in the top 10.

...They all have faults in their game and all need a period of development before they are ready to step in as a starter.

In saying that, I do have one quarterback rated higher than any of the others. That player is Fresno's Derek Carr [who] I do believe... will get drafted somewhere in the first round. If I had to select a quarterback he would be my first choice.

I have viewed the coaches tape on seven Fresno State games from 2013, two from 2012 as well as watched three practices at the Senior Bowl, so I have had a good look at his play...
Old 04-27-2014   #215
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Why Derek Carr Is the Best Quarterback in the 2014 NFL Draft
Quote:
None of the quarterbacks in this class has anywhere near the talent of an Andrew Luck or a Matthew Stafford.

nvm
Old 05-08-2014   #216
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Just saw of a video on ESPN of Derek Carr throwing a football 61 MPH. That's Favre level arm strength.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #217
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109144 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Just saw of a video on ESPN of Derek Carr throwing a football 61 MPH. That's Favre level arm strength.
Dude has a cannon, no doubt.
Old 05-08-2014   #218
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

There may be a chance we don't even draft Carr, but if they do, I'll just hope for the best.
santo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #219
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Pfff. Jeff George could throw that on his knees.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #220
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116441 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Pfff. Jeff George could throw that on his knees.

Between his legs, into the wind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read