Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Jayson Braddock on 2014 draft.... Texans twist?

If you didn't listen to Koch&Kalu this morning, here's the podcast.

Very interesting take on this draft, in some ways, against the grain, but obviously in love with the defensive players in this draft. It's a pretty good discussion, worth listening to.
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 176794 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jayson Braddock on 2014 draft.... Texans twist?

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Quote:
I won't write another draft evaluation publicly for the rest of my life. IF you lose, same wager. Majority hits win.

I call the "Career vs Career" challenge. Anyone willing to stand behind the guys on the right for 3-4 years. I'll take the left. IF I lose...

I've been accused of making rankings for shock. Never been me, came up with a bet to see who had more convictions behind their evaluations..

16) Phillip Gaines vs Bradley Roby 17) George Uko vs Kareem Martin. I'll take the guys on the left, the majority will take the right.

12) Shayne Skov vs Chris Borland 13) Jimmie Ward vs Haha Clinton-Dix 14) Dion Bailey vs Calvin Pryor 15) Pierre Desir vs Darqueze Dennard

9) Demarcus Lawrence vs Anthony Barr 10) Scott Crichton / Marcus Smith vs Kony Ealy / Jeremiah Attaochu 11) Jordan Zumwalt vs CJ Mosley

6) Allen Robinson / Cody Latimer vs Kelvin Benjamin / Davante Adams 7) Zack Martin vs Jake Matthews 8) Taylor Lewan vs Greg Robinson

4) Isaiah Crowell / Storm Johnson vs Bishop Sankey / Jeremy Hill (Made a couple doubles match) 5) Bruce Ellington vs Marqise Lee

1) Brett Smith vs Johnny Manziel 2) Keith Wenning vs Tom Savage & Logan Thomas (2 for 1) 3) Tre Mason vs Carlos Hyde
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Don't have time to listen to podcast but is he talking about how players would perform for Texans or just in their careers? I like some of his choices (left) but some on right.
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 176794 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Don't have time to listen to podcast...
Not about the podcast. Figured this was the JB draft topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
...is he talking about how players would perform for Texans or just in their careers? I like some of his choices (left) but some on right.
Careers. Can't evaluate based on Texans as they won't get all of these prospects.

JB putting his "underdogs" up against DraftTwitter's "favorites".
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Listened to the whole segment Thunderkyss, but aren't you a G.Robinson guy and if so what's your response to Braddock's evaluation of the big Auburn OT as being overrated because he's so weak in pass-blocking ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Listened to the whole segment Thunderkyss, but aren't you a G.Robinson guy and if so what's your response to Braddock's evaluation of the big Auburn OT as being overrated because he's so weak in pass-blocking ?
I am concerned... He didn't say Robinson sucked, only that Auburn's offense was run heavy, so he wasn't asked to do very much. Robinson's combine tells me he's athletic enough, so.... I don't know.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61655 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jayson Braddock on 2014 draft.... Texans twist?ł

Quote:
Not about the podcast. Figured this was the JB draft topic.

Careers. Can't evaluate based on Texans as they won't get all of these prospects.

JB putting his "underdogs" up against DraftTwitter's "favorites".

This is silly
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 146812 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is why I think he's a good pick at 1-1 for us.

His strength and experience is in his run blocking. He needs work on his pass blocking.

That sounds like an RT.

So we draft him, plug him in at RT. He's not a threat to DB at LT.

Robinson is then able to come in, be an immediate starter, upgrade our line so much that it's mind-boggling, and still be a guy who could grow into an LT in case we need him to do that in the future.

It all comes down to how you value your line and how you value the 1-1 pick and what you think is going to have the biggest impact on the future of the team.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
This is why I think he's a good pick at 1-1 for us.

His strength and experience is in his run blocking. He needs work on his pass blocking.

That sounds like an RT.

So we draft him, plug him in at RT. He's not a threat to DB at LT.

Robinson is then able to come in, be an immediate starter, upgrade our line so much that it's mind-boggling, and still be a guy who could grow into an LT in case we need him to do that in the future.

It all comes down to how you value your line and how you value the 1-1 pick and what you think is going to have the biggest impact on the future of the team.
Of course he's not and that's because he's got issues as a pass-blocker. Can't use the 1.1 on a OT who's forte is run-blocking, the opportunity cost is just too much in a strong Draft like this years.
But this Braddock guy is too much in love with Clowney if he says he wouldn't trade our 1.1 to ATL for their 1st and second round picks this year and next years second. But can it be that I've underrated Clowney ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Of course he's not and that's because he's got issues as a pass-blocker. Can't use the 1.1 on a OT who's forte is run-blocking, the opportunity cost is just too much in a strong Draft like this years.
But this Braddock guy is too much in love with Clowney if he says he wouldn't trade our 1.1 to ATL for their 1st and second round picks this year and next years second. But can it be that I've underrated Clowney ?
& Clowney has a lot of things to work on as a pass rusher, then some more as a LB.

None of these guys are perfect. Even Andrew Luck comes into the league having to learn something.

Now that we're not paying the 1st round picks an arm & a leg, I have no problem taking the best OL prospect I can find. Again, Eric Fisher signed a contract where he was getting paid less than what we were paying Eric Winston, who was not very good pass blocking. His forte was in the run game.

& like I said earlier, his "issues" were that he wasn't asked to do a lot of pass blocking because they were so run oriented. He's got the measurables to be a very effective pass blocker.
Old 1 Week Ago   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 146812 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You couldn't spend 1-1 on a guy with flaws when you were having to pay that guy more than anyone else on your team. But with the changes in the CBA, you can be a lot more flexible with how you approach that 1-1 pick.

If we were still using the old, no-limit rules, then there's no way you draft anyone other than Clowney or the best QB on your board. You had to swing for the fences with the 1-1 under those rules. But now, you can be a lot more prudent.

Quote:
Because of his questions, I have Clowney as about the 3-5th guy I'd draft -- and none of the guys I have are QBs, btw. If he lives up to his potential, then he'll probably be the best guy in this draft and should be taken 1st. But for me, there's a big chance he won't live up to that potential so I've downgraded him.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
5) Bruce Ellington vs Marqise Lee
Speaking of South Carolina's Bruce Ellington, who looks like a great slot WR prospect, here he is showing some athleticism at 5'9"...

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/RapSheet/view/16774173
Old 1 Day Ago   #13
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Default Braddock -- 2014 Top 100 NFL Draft Prospects

The Deep Post w/ Jayson Braddock -- 2014 Top 100 NFL Draft Prospects
Quote:
My top 100 will consist of players who I view as the top 100 most talented NFL prospects, based solely on their performance in college. I’ve highlighted in red some of the players that may have injury concerns, character problems, etc. I do NOT factor these concerns into my rankings. It’s impossible to guess how 32 different teams adjust a guy’s value who’s coming off an ACL injury or a drug problem. I don’t try to read their minds.

Here’s my Top 100 prospects based off my evaluations and how I believe they’ll transition over to the NFL and develop as their career progresses at the next level. Chris Gordy and I will be doing a special NFL Draft show on Wednesday, April 23rd. If you strongly disagree or are looking for more information on why I rank a certain player so high or low, please call in to discuss.

100-11

10 Jimmie Ward Northern Illinois Free Safety/SS
- Fluid enough to play slot corner, can man up a tight end or stick with a shifty receiver. Great closing speed, instincts of a MLB, cleans up other’s messes, sees the blueprint of the offense. He’s a game changer.

9 Louis Nix Notre Dame 3-4 NT/4-3 DT
- A true NT that can play three downs if needed to. Strong at the point. Scheme diverse

8 Taylor Lewan Michigan Tackle
- Great kick, smooth, can handle speed. Awareness is second to none. Plays with a mean streak and has great hand location.

7 Zack Martin Notre Dame OT/OG
- He’s technically flawless. Great lateral movement, able to step in and play the left or right side, inside or out, power or zone. He has awareness to the complete defense, he’s smart and calculated to overcome arm length.

6 Eric Ebron North Carolina Tight End
- Good hands and the ability to immediately look for YAC. Matchup problem and a headache for opposing defenses to lineup against his NFL team’s personnel grouping. Much better blocker than what he gets credit for.

5 Aaron Donald Pittsburgh 4-3 DT (3 Tech)
- Exceptional get off. Good leverage to hold off 1 man, insane 1 gap penetrator. Ability to win with under arm rip, spin, swim, etc. Great movement skills.

4 Khalil Mack Buffalo 4-3 SOLB
- A killer when operating in space. Great COD and “boxer’s feet”. Gets the OL dancing when creating in space. Sure tackler that zeroes in on the ball and makes textbook tackles. Solid in coverage. Struggles disengaging from talented tackles when in the trenches.

3 Justin Gilbert Oklahoma State CB
- Sure tackler, return specialist, special teams killer. Shutdown corner with great size, length, and speed. Reminds me of a young Champ Bailey.

2 Sammy Watkins Clemson WR
- Top notch, world class acceleration. Shifty outside receiver that can beat the jam and teams have to respect as a decoy. Great hands and a YAC machine, big play threat. He’s a taller, Percy Harvin.

1 Jadeveon Clowney South Carolina 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB
- It’s Jadeveon Clowney. No comparison needed, no rhetoric. This kid is special and you don’t pass on him, trade him, or even acknowledge him without written consent from Chuck Norris.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read