Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-03-2013   #121
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: We are number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
He also has the second-highest number of QB pressures, but even then my argument was about the tape. It would only take you ~8 minutes more to watch his Tennessee game from this year over the amount of time it took you to look up some stats.
I could, but Tennessee isn't exactly tough competition. It certainly was a tough game for SC, but that doesn't mean it was a true test of Clowney's abilities. He had some good plays in that game for sure, and I'm not saying he isn't a great college player, but there are reasonable questions about him coming into the NFL.

He didn't seem like a number 1 overall pick in the Mizzou game, very Mario Williams-like to me. He eats up TEs and RBs when they are 1v1 on him, does OK vs OTs 1v1, but his overall effort leaves a lot to be desired. Every time they run a play away from him, he just kind of jogs towards the area of the ball. Several times it seems he could have saved some yards if he had put more effort into getting to the runners area, but he didn't seem to care. That's where all the motor questions come from, and then add to that his offseason conditioning questions and you have a lot of risk with this guy. The "Will he give a ****?" question is always important when selecting 1st rounders.

To me it's all going to be mental questions with him. He clearly has the tools and athleticism to be a top 5 DE/OLB in this league, but I don't know if he has the will power to be all he can be. I think the Texans will pass on him, but I bet Atlanta ends up picking him in the top 5. Might be a nice fit for him being so close to where he played in college.

All JDC snaps from Mizzou game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb-8ePTyOnQ
Old 12-03-2013   #122
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16278 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Seeing some of Clowney's post-game comments after losing a game makes me wonder if the Texans would even draft him. The guy might not even love playing football.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013   #123
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115980 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I could, but Tennessee isn't exactly tough competition. It certainly was a tough game for SC, but that doesn't mean it was a true test of Clowney's abilities. He had some good plays in that game for sure, and I'm not saying he isn't a great college player, but there are reasonable questions about him coming into the NFL.

He didn't seem like a number 1 overall pick in the Mizzou game, very Mario Williams-like to me. He eats up TEs and RBs when they are 1v1 on him, does OK vs OTs 1v1, but his overall effort leaves a lot to be desired. Every time they run a play away from him, he just kind of jogs towards the area of the ball. Several times it seems he could have saved some yards if he had put more effort into getting to the runners area, but he didn't seem to care. That's where all the motor questions come from, and then add to that his offseason conditioning questions and you have a lot of risk with this guy. The "Will he give a ****?" question is always important when selecting 1st rounders.

To me it's all going to be mental questions with him. He clearly has the tools and athleticism to be a top 5 DE/OLB in this league, but I don't know if he has the will power to be all he can be. I think the Texans will pass on him, but I bet Atlanta ends up picking him in the top 5. Might be a nice fit for him being so close to where he played in college.

All JDC snaps from Mizzou game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb-8ePTyOnQ
You make very good points in this post and I don't disagree with you. I will merely point out that the bolded above is not quite true concerning Clowney. Tennessee might have the best tandem of OT's in the country.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013   #124
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I think he's responding to the fact that he's a LT prospect and you called him a day one starter. Is that just for us? Or for every team?

Obviously, if we draft Matthews he's playing RT for the foreseeable future. If someone else drafts him he's probably playing LT.

IIRC, Mussop has been on record before that he doesn't see Matthews as a "franchise LT". I personally think he's overrated as a prospect, but he's still a darn good player.
Thank you, that is exactly what I meant. And if he's not a franchise LT there is no way he is worth the first pick especially if you plan on playing him at RT. I do believe he is a very good player and could possibly turn into a highly rated OL. Right now he needs a great combine if he want to go top ten.
Old 12-03-2013   #125
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess ESPN would love us at no. 1 maybe a reversal..just show our offensive with no quarterback. ...and caption"what does your team need?"
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #126
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I think he's responding to the fact that he's a LT prospect and you called him a day one starter. Is that just for us? Or for every team?

Obviously, if we draft Matthews he's playing RT for the foreseeable future. If someone else drafts him he's probably playing LT.

IIRC, Mussop has been on record before that he doesn't see Matthews as a "franchise LT". I personally think he's overrated as a prospect, but he's still a darn good player.
I think Mattews is just like his dad. He can play LT/RT more than adequately. But Mattews would be a HOF OG.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #127
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I think Mattews is just like his dad. He can play LT/RT more than adequately. But Mattews would be a HOF OG.
Hate to say this but, this will work in our favor. With The recent injuries and Mariota returning to school, it makes the healthy QB's available even more valuable. That is If our NEW coaching staff doesn't feel comfortable with drafting a QB first.
Old 12-05-2013   #128
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Were number 1

Quote:
Yeah guys, listen to Texian. Nobody in the NFL is scouting college players during the season, or watching their games, or making up their draft boards. Nobody does any of that until March, when the NFL season is over. That's when they buckle down and get to work. It's not like these NFL teams have dozens of scouts and an entire division devoted to doing stuff like that! Take it from this guy, he's got an Insider subscription to ESPN, so he knows what he's talking about!
FYI - I don't just make stuff up or post ad hominem. I watch many NFL related shows and read numerous Internet articles. I get most of my information from former GMs and HCs, Pioli, Casserly, Angelo, Devaney, Savage, Billick, Mariuci, Gruden, Edwards, Parcels, Johnson etc. and I also follow a couple of former scouts.

Example: http://sulia.com/channel/football/f/...source=twitter

What I have learned from reading/watching these guys over the years.

Not to long after the NFL draft, College Scouting Departments begin their preparation for the upcoming year. Up through and the completion of the Bowl Games scouts are evaluating, preparing and cataloging their respective scouting reports on players who were eligible for the next draft when the new seasons start. Beginning with the first underclassmen declarations until The Combine, scouts then begin the process of evaluating, preparing and cataloging underclassmen who have declared for the draft. After the Bowl Games and prior to The Combine is when team draft boards begin to take their initial shape. The end of February, College Scouting along with GMs and HCs are in Indy for The Combine. After the Combine, draft boards, as discussed by Jerry Angelo, make their biggest shifts. March the scouts are attending Pro Days and polishing their reports. After the Pro Days and before the Draft is when most teams final draft board are set.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #129
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
FYI - I don't just make stuff up or post ad hominem. I watch many NFL related shows and read numerous Internet articles. I get most of my information from former GMs and HCs, Pioli, Casserly, Angelo, Devaney, Savage, Billick, Mariuci, Gruden, Edwards, Parcels, Johnson etc. and I also follow a couple of former scouts.

Example: http://sulia.com/channel/football/f/...source=twitter

What I have learned from reading/watching these guys over the years.

Not to long after the NFL draft, College Scouting Departments begin their preparation for the upcoming year. Up through and the completion of the Bowl Games scouts are evaluating, preparing and cataloging their respective scouting reports on players who were eligible for the next draft when the new seasons start. Beginning with the first underclassmen declarations until The Combine, scouts then begin the process of evaluating, preparing and cataloging underclassmen who have declared for the draft. After the Bowl Games and prior to The Combine is when team draft boards begin to take their initial shape. The end of February, College Scouting along with GMs and HCs are in Indy for The Combine. After the Combine, draft boards, as discussed by Jerry Angelo, make their biggest shifts. March the scouts are attending Pro Days and polishing their reports. After the Pro Days and before the Draft is when most teams final draft board are set.
Old 12-05-2013   #130
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hey DR, after you've watched the NFL for another 30+ years, you will know a lot more about the NFL. And that will be much more than you know today!
Old 12-06-2013   #131
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

The more I think about it , the more I don't want the #1 overall pick.

I don't see a player at any position that's worthy of the distinction at least as to how they fit on the current roster.

Bridgewater - Just don't think he's a "Franchise QB" , might be above average but not elite.

Clowney - Oh FFS .... what a waste of talent. If he has a motor , it came out of a moped.

Matthews - #1 overall for a RT ? (Sure he will eventually move to LT but still).

Anthony Barr - I think he's over rated.

Manziel - Boom or Bust , just too great a risk for the #1 pick.

Jace Amaro - Not for a TE.

Derek Carr - You have to be kidding me right ?!

C.J. Mosley - Might be the best football player in this draft but can you really spend the #1 pick on a guy who probably plays ILB ??

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu - Sure , the best CB in this draft but no where near being the best player or biggest impact.

Louis Nix - See Olomu.

Mike Evans - Another 1st round WR ??? I'd consider him if there weren't so damn many other holes to fill.

The quarterbacks just don't excite me. The "physical Freak" of this draft .... doesn't care and nothing else really fits.

I'd really like to see them move down in the draft somewhere around 8-10 pending the compensation is worth the move. (1+2 this year and at least another 1 next year)

@ 8 give me Mosely
@ 33 give me Antonio Richardson (OT - Tenn.)
@ 40 Shayne Skov

I'll take a QB in the 3rd and sign a veteran in FA ....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #132
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Clowney - Oh FFS .... what a waste of talent. If he has a motor , it came out of a moped.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh OK buddy
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #133
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh OK buddy
Hey , his own statements back that up .... I know he's your boy and all .... but he's been his own worst enemy in this process.

Yes , he's a physical freak with a questionable motor. There is the potential of him doing the same thing once he turns pro - only playing up to his capability in a contract year.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #134
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Becoming a shame that Mariota returns to college.

I hope some other team falls stupid in love with Teddy at 1/1.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #135
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hey , his own statements back that up .... I know he's your boy and all .... but he's been his own worst enemy in this process.

Yes , he's a physical freak with a questionable motor. There is the potential of him doing the same thing once he turns pro - only playing up to his capability in a contract year.
Feel free to quote these incriminating statements, then.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #136
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Hey DR, after you've watched the NFL for another 30+ years, you will know a lot more about the NFL. And that will be much more than you know today!
Do you have any idea how dumb you sound throughout this thread? You jumped on a guy for making a simple generalization about the scouting community liking Bridgewater as the current top QB in the 2014 draft, which is an innocuous statement that really does seem to be the consensus. The guy is apparently well connected with scouting folks around the league (actual people), so you ignore that and continue onward with this silly meaningless crusade. Then we come full circle to your "sources" of knowledge, and it's ****ing Twitter feeds of select NFL related folks. Congrats, you fail.
Old 12-06-2013   #137
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Do you have any idea how dumb you sound throughout this thread? You jumped on a guy for making a simple generalization about the scouting community liking Bridgewater as the current top QB in the 2014 draft, which is an innocuous statement that really does seem to be the consensus. The guy is apparently well connected with scouting folks around the league (actual people), so you ignore that and continue onward with this silly meaningless crusade. Then we come full circle to your "sources" of knowledge, and it's ****ing Twitter feeds of select NFL related folks. Congrats, you fail.
No offense to you if I choose to believe what Bill Polian, Scott Pioli, Charlie Casserly, Brian Billick, Steve Mariuci, Bill Parcels, Jimmy Johnson, Herm Edwards, Mike Mayock, Jay Glazer, Adam Schefter, dozens of NFL players, former NFL scouts have to say on many different TV SHOWS, media outlets, print articles along with your despised twitter over anything YOU and other message board hacks bring to the table. Your comments are a waste of time compared to what they have to say along with all their knowledge and experience.

Last edited by Texian; 12-06-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-06-2013   #138
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans fans are turning on each other.

The thing is Rick was Garys hand picked guy. He turned on Gary to save his own job. (Yet he touts his christian values. He should've gone down with the ship. As long as Rick runs this team it will never win a SB

Bets are now open and as proven you have an 8 yr window. Great job BoB

Instead of firing the people most responsible for this mess you fire Rick/Coach Joe.

Hope you enjoy your last decade BoB, just remember you cant take yor $$$$ with you.

Last edited by steelbtexan; 12-06-2013 at 07:32 PM.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #139
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Laziness is the hardest of all vices to break.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #140
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No offense to you if I choose to believe what Bill Polian, Scott Pioli, Charlie Casserly, Brian Billick, Steve Mariuci, Bill Parcels, Jimmy Johnson, Herm Edwards, Mike Mayock, Jay Glazer, Adam Schefter, dozens of NFL players, former NFL scouts have to say on many different TV SHOWS, media outlets, print articles along with your despised twitter over anything YOU and other message board hacks bring to the table. Your comments are a waste of time compared to what they have to say along with all their knowledge and experience.
None of those people has ever said the scouting departments don't have rankings at all until tada its time to put the final draft order together. I don't care if it is little stars in the corner of the page with their notes on a player or talk over the water cooler about who they like better after last weekends games this whole process is geared toward evaluating and ranking.

You're acting like a child and its obvious.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read