Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-02-2013   #81
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Were number 1

Trading back is usually my favorite choice in the first round unless there is a guy we absolutely must have. All four of my top choices for us have questions.

Bridgewater - clearly the best QB in this class, but valid questions as to whether he is elite or not
Matthews - fantastic technician with limited upside, not as good as the A&M OT from last year, great but not elite
Clowney - most talented player in the draft, but valid questions about a variety of things
Barr - my top choice if we stay in a 34 with the next regime but not if we switch
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #82
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: We are number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
By the chart 34 (560 pts) to 25 (720 pts) would cost 86 (3rd round 160 pts) or a lower half 2nd round pick next season.

I'd like an answer on this one as well. Is there not a guy who will be a good safe bet at RT in the upper 2nd?

I share some of the sure fire concerns over Bridgewater, Manziel, etc. but it sure does seem like you are accepting a game manager or much lower potential going to a McCarron or Mettenberger. Would it be so bad to have someone between Duane Brown and Winston plugged in at RT?
Thanks, I would be willing to move up and give up a 3rd. Then hope Moses fell to the top of the 4th or trade up 5-7 spots back into the 3rd and pick Moses. I've watched him several times and while he's on a horrible team with a terrible QB. Moses appears to be very strong in the run game and can pass protect very well too. He's a mountain of a man with very long arms. Another good thing about Moses is that he's played RT before moving to LT this yr, so the learning curve shouldn't be as great.

With an arm like Mettenbergers you consider him to be a game manager? He has an elite arm and has played in a pro system under Cam Cameron this yr. He has made great strides this yr and is just begining to scratch the surface of his potential. IMHO. Mettenberger reminds me of Ben/Flacco/Rivers. You could do alot worse. While I like McCarron alot, the combine will be huge for him. I think he can be more than a game manager.

I like Mettenbergers potential at 25 much more than Bridgewater at 1-1. Plus you get to add the best pass rusher in the draft. Clwney, who is going to light up the combine MW style, or Barr. IMHO Either way you address the 2 most important positions on the team.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #83
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Watch Beidgewater film, kid throws lasers, quick decision maker who can extend plays. My biggest concern as of now is who will be coaching him. Would Tony Dungy be interested in a return to coaching?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #84
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
All very much true. I was just curious as to why you would call out one poster for spouting off the opinions of scouts that he may or may not have access to, but then in the very next post exclaim so certainly that you know what NFL draft boards will look like.
I should've have used IMHO. However, based on history I don't think there has ever been an active NFL Scout who has publicly discussed prior to the draft the potential of a player, their positives, negatives and draft ranking. If they've one must be leery of false or misleading information. False and misleading information seem to be more of the norm when NFL teams release information about perspective draft picks. Another thing that I have learned by what has been said by NFL GMs is that team draft boards are not even set until 2-3 weeks prior to the draft. So at this point there is no consenus #1 draft pick on an NFL draft board (this season isn't even over). Also based on history I don't know of any sportswriter or any journalistic draft scout wannabe who has picked the correct order of players drafted or 100% of a team's draft picks. You're right I shouldn't assume that everyone knows this.

Last edited by Texian; 12-03-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #85
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

For me, I have to wait and see how the evaluation process goes. Bridgewater could put up ridiculous numbers in an Oregon or A&M offense, but they kind of run a slow plodding offense. I like his moxy though and what he brings to the table from an intangibles standpoint.

Clowney is simply a freak of nature. He made some plays the other night that guys his size shouldn't be making. The fact that he's played bored all year scares me though. He'll have to prove that this was something that won't translate to the next level. Seeing as how we just wasted a draft pick last year dealing with the same thing isn't a comforting feeling, but his talent level is hard to overlook.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #86
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
For me, I have to wait and see how the evaluation process goes. Bridgewater could put up ridiculous numbers in an Oregon or A&M offense, but they kind of run a slow plodding offense. I like his moxy though and what he brings to the table from an intangibles standpoint.

Clowney is simply a freak of nature. He made some plays the other night that guys his size shouldn't be making. The fact that he's played bored all year scares me though. He'll have to prove that this was something that won't translate to the next level. Seeing as how we just wasted a draft pick last year dealing with the same thing isn't a comforting feeling, but his talent level is hard to overlook.

Cant really blame Clowney especially after seeing Lattimore get hurt last yr and fall from a 1st rd ( losing millions $$$$) to the 5th/6th rd.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #87
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Cant really blame Clowney especially after seeing Lattimore get hurt last yr and fall from a 1st rd ( losing millions $$$$) to the 5th/6th rd.
I think this is exactly what happened. I don't blame him one bit. He's pro ready and knows he's just buying time. In his position most would do the same thing. Especially aftet seeing first hand what happend to a teammate.
Old 12-02-2013   #88
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Clowney and Adrian Peterson are the only guys I can think of off the top of my head that probably could've gone straight to the NFL after high school.
Old 12-02-2013   #89
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Quote:
Clowney and Adrian Peterson are the only guys I can think of off the top of my head that probably could've gone straight to the NFL after high school.
His high school highlights are ridiculous. You can't watch them without laughing.
Old 12-02-2013   #90
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All very much true. I was just curious as to why you would call out one poster for spouting off the opinions of scouts that he may or may not have access to, but then in the very next post exclaim so certainly that you know what NFL draft boards will look like.
and FWIW, people who actually do have some access to inside information @AlbertBreer @NFLosophy are saying the Bridgewater is not necessarily the consensus #1 pick and it's possible A.J. McCarron could be 1st QB drafted.
Old 12-02-2013   #91
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
and FWIW, people who actually do have some access to inside information @AlbertBreer @NFLosophy are saying the Bridgewater is not necessarily the consensus #1 pick and it's possible A.J. McCarron could be 1st QB drafted.
You yourself have already acknowledged the dangers of hearing false and misleading information from those in the know during this time of year so excuse me if I choose not to believe that. But thank you for your take.

I do, however, acknowledge that while I have Bridgewater graded as the #1 QB it is far from a guarantee that he ends up the first one drafted.

I also admit that I am higher on McCarron than most seem to be. But I don't see him being the first QB drafted. His ceiling simply doesn't appear high enough.
Old 12-02-2013   #92
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's the reason why I said consensus and not unanimous. There are some who disagree, but the majority favor Bridgewater.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #93
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
That's the reason why I said consensus and not unanimous. There are some who disagree, but the majority favor Bridgewater.
and just who is the majority? you and bah007? The consensus and unanimous in NFL draft rooms that you speak of don't exist in NFL draft rooms today. Currently teams are trying to finish the last 25% of the regular season. Somewhere around a month before the draft those consensus and unanimous opinions will be formed along with each team's respective draft board. And the consensus and Unanimous may have 32 different varieties.
Old 12-02-2013   #94
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The kid at Ole Miss Robert Nkemdiche could probably hold his own.
Old 12-02-2013   #95
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and just who is the majority? you and bah007? The consensus and unanimous in NFL draft rooms that you speak of don't exist in NFL draft rooms today. Currently teams are trying to finish the last 25% of the regular season. Somewhere around a month before the draft those consensus and unanimous opinions will be formed along with each team's respective draft board. And the consensus and Unanimous may have 32 different varieties.
Yeah guys, listen to Texian. Nobody in the NFL is scouting college players during the season, or watching their games, or making up their draft boards. Nobody does any of that until March, when the NFL season is over. That's when they buckle down and get to work. It's not like these NFL teams have dozens of scouts and an entire division devoted to doing stuff like that! Take it from this guy, he's got an Insider subscription to ESPN, so he knows what he's talking about!
Old 12-02-2013   #96
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Yeah guys, listen to Texian. Nobody in the NFL is scouting college players during the season, or watching their games, or making up their draft boards. Nobody does any of that until March, when the NFL season is over. That's when they buckle down and get to work. It's not like these NFL teams have dozens of scouts and an entire division devoted to doing stuff like that! Take it from this guy, he's got an Insider subscription to ESPN, so he knows what he's talking about!
Au Contraire - ALL NFL scouting departments have been busy for many months scouting hundreds of teams and players. In addition they have been busily filling out scouting reports on all players eligible for the upcoming draft. Between now and the middle of January NFL scouting departments will be busy evaluating and completing their scouting reports on the 70-80 underclassmen who are currently in the process of declaring for the 2104 NFL draft. And no I cancelled my ESPN insider several years ago after reading one to many Todd McShay insider evaluations and predictions. I figured ESPN Insider was a waste of my time and money and I still do.
Old 12-02-2013   #97
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Clowny next to Watt
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #98
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The kid at Ole Miss Robert Nkemdiche could probably hold his own.
Maybe so. He isn't near the specimen that Clowney was as a high school senior though.
Old 12-02-2013   #99
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Maybe so. He isn't near the specimen that Clowney was as a high school senior though.
You're right, he's even more so. At 18 and already 300lbs, plays like a LB and is already a man among boys. Reggie White in the making.
Old 12-02-2013   #100
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You're right, he's even more so. At 18 and already 300lbs, plays like a LB and is already a man among boys. Reggie White in the making.
Reggie white minus the heart.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read