Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-24-2013   #21
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 118212 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Just TOO Slow and quick especially at WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Irrespective of QB, I agree. But Hopkins caught 18 balls in the first three weeks. The only game he's had with more than 3 catches since was against ARI, with Keenum at QB. Moreover, his YPC average was higher going into this game than it was with Schaub.

Point being, it's not the QB really. He's a rookie, the offense is screwed over right now, coaching is a mess, and the locker room is probably fractured. So whatever changes happen, he'll be fine with some stability.
agreed, but we still need some speed
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #22
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Thread title fail just like our team

Fitting

Yes we suck at most positions
Old 11-24-2013   #23
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 281570 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Well, sure. Team needs speed everywhere, really. But laying that at the feet of Hopkins is silly, IMO. Hopkins is going to be the best #2 WR in the game at some point, I think. But he'll never really be a true #1 in the mold of AJ, Fitz, CJ, White, etc. There aren't a ton of those guys though.
Old 11-25-2013   #24
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been complaining about our slow, plodding offense for a while now. I'm not a big fan of Hopkins either. His lack of ability to separate is profound. Almost all of his catches are contested with players draped all around him.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #25
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Nuk will be fine...he's a possesion guy..fine for going over the middle. for some odd reason though, we keep sending him on fly routes & that's not his strong suit.

Martin is trash - needs to be released
Jean is trash - needs to be released

I like Posey, i think he's our 3rd guy.

OD has always looked slow to me...probably need to release him b/c of injury history and cap hit.

I'm cool with graham..i think he's ok...keep him b/c he'll be cheap.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #26
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Why was Jacoby Jones cut again?
Cause he sucked pretty bad.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #27
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Cause he sucked pretty bad.
And yet somewhere else with different coaches, better QB (especially in postseason) and better leadership - he was one of the reasons the raves won a super bowl. Imagine that.
Old 11-25-2013   #28
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I think Nuk will be fine...he's a possesion guy..fine for going over the middle. for some odd reason though, we keep sending him on fly routes & that's not his strong suit.

Martin is trash - needs to be released
Jean is trash - needs to be released

I like Posey, i think he's our 3rd guy.

OD has always looked slow to me...probably need to release him b/c of injury history and cap hit.

I'm cool with graham..i think he's ok...keep him b/c he'll be cheap.
you find possession guys later in the draft. The no burst, no quicks, no long speed guys are a dime a dozen there. Hopkins great hands has everyone mesmerized but you can't keep throwing to guys who struggle to get open in the NFL. He doesn't have the upper body strength to manhandle guys when draped ala Fitzgerald or Boldin. I think he is seriously overvalued.

Old 11-25-2013   #29
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
you find possession guys later in the draft. The no burst, no quicks, no long speed guys are a dime a dozen there. Hopkins great hands has everyone mesmerized but you can't keep throwing to guys who struggle to get open in the NFL. He doesn't have the upper body strength to manhandle guys when draped ala Fitzgerald or Boldin. I think he is seriously overvalued.
You don't reckon the year 3 rule for WRs is going to apply here Vin? Usually when a rookie wideout starts to show what he's really capable of?

I'd say that great catch ability could serve him really well down the line if things do begin to fall into place for him in gaining separation.

I'm also thinking OD is probably about ready to become a cap casualty, Martin has flashed but isn't going to get that opportunity to develop being at best the 4th guy and having to split his practice time with return duty.

Posey as I've said elsewhere is on a free pass from me this season whilst still coming back from a nasty injury.

It's one position where the talent is definitely there for me, just needs the best coaxing out of it.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #30
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not ready to dump on a rookie WR that has showed some promise. Hopkins may still develop into a solid receiver. Even Posey may still become a decent receiver. The problem with our WR core is the Kubiak system. It really doesn't allow for small, fast receivers that can take the top off the defense. Everyone has to be great blockers which limits the kind of body a receiver can have.

Time for change. We could still keep AJ, Hopkins & Posey but add some game breaking speed and the WR core would be pretty good.
Old 11-25-2013   #31
4x4tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 448 4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Hopkins looked slow to begin with. Great hands but just doesn't have the look to me of a stud wr. Posey is one to me that does, would like to see him more.

Martin is terrible...Jean I thought showed promise and then we stopped playing him...weird

The defense is so slow..the rb from the raiders blew by dj mr sec swearinger and Joseph actually lost ground. McCain and Harris are too slow and should be cut. Rick smith needs to be held accountable for his miserable 2nd and 3rd round draft picks.

The only quick looking player we have is Dennis Johnson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
4x4tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #32
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 143833 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've been complaining about our slow, plodding offense for a while now. I'm not a big fan of Hopkins either. His lack of ability to separate is profound. Almost all of his catches are contested with players draped all around him.
I'd be cool with slow and prodding if the offense was tough and punishing but slow and prodding and soft is a bad threesome. I really hope the next regime does away with the cut back RB and smallish OL and establishes a smash mouth running attack.
Old 11-26-2013   #33
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
You don't reckon the year 3 rule for WRs is going to apply here Vin? Usually when a rookie wideout starts to show what he's really capable of?

I'd say that great catch ability could serve him really well down the line if things do begin to fall into place for him in gaining separation.
I kinda see the long speed and separation of Jabbar Gaffney with the hands of Larry Fitzgerald.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
I'm not ready to dump on a rookie WR that has showed some promise. Hopkins may still develop into a solid receiver. Even Posey may still become a decent receiver. The problem with our WR core is the Kubiak system. It really doesn't allow for small, fast receivers that can take the top off the defense. Everyone has to be great blockers which limits the kind of body a receiver can have.

Time for change. We could still keep AJ, Hopkins & Posey but add some game breaking speed and the WR core would be pretty good.
I'm not ready to 'dump' myself him but I think he's never going to be a WR1 or a draw for any kind of chronic double team like the big time wr's in this league. Isn't that what you are supposed to be buying in the first round of the draft though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
I'd be cool with slow and prodding if the offense was tough and punishing but slow and prodding and soft is a bad threesome. I really hope the next regime does away with the cut back RB and smallish OL and establishes a smash mouth running attack.
slow and plodding usually comes packaged with mean and brutish, but not with the Texans. We've truly taken on the personality of the Head Coach though...so we have that going for us.

Old 11-26-2013   #34
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, i no longer think he's the heir apparent to AJ like i did when we drafted him, but i think he still has a chance to be a really good WR here with us with an offseason, new system, HC and Qb.

Basically we were about 2 years too late in drafting him...or someone like him (figures). I think if he was paired with a younger version of AJ, he'd be just what the doctor ordered. But he needs that guy opposite him that's a burner to take the top off. AJ, as great as he is & has been for us just doesn't scare guys with his speed anymore imo.

He's not ready to assume that over the middle role just yet, i think come next year, he will be.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #35
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Damn shame what the internet has done to rookies.
Old 11-26-2013   #36
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I kinda see the long speed and separation of Jabbar Gaffney with the hands of Larry Fitzgerald.

I'm not ready to 'dump' myself him but I think he's never going to be a WR1 or a draw for any kind of chronic double team like the big time wr's in this league. Isn't that what you are supposed to be buying in the first round of the draft though?

slow and plodding usually comes packaged with mean and brutish, but not with the Texans. We've truly taken on the personality of the Head Coach though...so we have that going for us.
I see the Gaffney/Fitzgerald comparison. I liked Gaffney though and thought he needed better coaching. I hope Hopkins improves some more but he hasn't been even close to a bust. And...no I don't think you draft a WR in the late 1st round and EXPECT him to be the #1. You can hope he becomes one but I'd be very happy to have a 10 year starter even if it is at WR2.
Old 11-26-2013   #37
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
And yet somewhere else with different coaches, better QB (especially in postseason) and better leadership - he was one of the reasons the raves won a super bowl. Imagine that.
He's still not very good.

You make it sound like he's suddenly blossomed into a good receiver. He hasn't. He's still a 4th-5th receiving option. His best years as a receiver were still with the Texans.

Even with us, he was only good for one or two good plays per year and with the Ravens, he just happened to make them in the playoffs. As opposed to fumbling the ball away like he did with us.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #38
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Cordarrelle Patterson would have been a better pick, world class speed.
Old 11-26-2013   #39
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish the Texans had taken TY Hilton in the 3rd rd 2 yrs ago. Or Kenny Stills in the 5th this past draft. They seem to be able to blow the top off of defenses.

How are Montgomery/T.Williams/B.Williams doing now?

This is one of the reasons why Rick needs to go.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #40
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Sad thing is that this isn't the yr for speed at WR overall. Watkins has speed. but I cant see spending another #1 on a WR.\

Hopefully Posey comes back healthy next yr. He's a guy who can take the top off of a defense and open things up for the underneath stuff.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read