Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-22-2013   #21
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 31401 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: After watching the last 3 games over -- blocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
They need more goal line running plays than the handoff to the RB 9 yards deep in the backfield.
I'd love to see that, but I can't remember the last time we have needed a yard and got it with our O-Line. Short yardage runs IMO are probably our biggest weakness due to the line always losing the LOS battle. The only hope is Zone blocking stretch and that doesn't seem to work too well in short yardage situations, these guys can't muscle anyone for a yard.

*Sig by False Start*
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
-David Daye
BeerTastesLikeVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #22
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197411 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They need more goal line running plays than the handoff to the RB 9 yards deep in the backfield.
The ZBS (and our team specifically) has never been built for goal line stands.......and for the most part, unfortunately passing in those situations has been an afterthought for Kubiak.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

for a ZBS team we are AWFUL blocking in space. ZBS teams should be masters at second level blocking and should be elite screen teams since they should have better feet than power blocking types...but if you watch the games closely you will notice that we are an AWFUL screen team.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #24
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
for a ZBS team we are AWFUL blocking in space. ZBS teams should be masters at second level blocking and should be elite screen teams since they should have better feet than power blocking types...but if you watch the games closely you will notice that we are an AWFUL screen team.
I think we did all of the above really well back in 2011. I'm not sure what happened other than the losses of Winston and Brisiel
Old 11-22-2013   #25
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 48076 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Foster masked a lot of inadequacies in the O-line.
Old 11-22-2013   #26
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
I think Foster masked a lot of inadequacies in the O-line.
Except Derek Newton. Foster couldn't work a miracle on that guy.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #27
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

my issue with our screens is they take so long to develop. it's not just a screen, it's a play-action pump fake to one side screen to the other. by that time the defense has sniffed it out. the screen is supposed to expose the rush by turning their attack on the quarterback into a quick hit, not a 5 second slow developing play behind the line of scrimmage.
Old 11-22-2013   #28
datchapin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2013 datchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we're as bad as some bill us to be. Both Tate and Foster avg. 4.5 YPC this season and we rank 12th in the league in regards to YPG at 120 YPG. What I see as the problem (and this is nothing new) is that we get away from the running game. We don't consistently go to it late in games and when we do it is in bad situations. Instead of wearing down the D and making them pay for it later we get away from it rely on the pass too heavily and keep their defense fresh. It's always bothered me because Kubiak has always said, we need to stick to the running game because it opens up our offense. Well then, do it.

Passing, there simply is no excuse. It doesn't matter if the QB is under center or in shotgun a lineman's job is to block and buy time. Our O-line at times just looks lost. Not able to pick up the blitz. Head up, feet chopping, use peripheral vision if no one engages you immediately, move back in order to pick up anyone that comes your way. I've seen occasions where one of our guys goes to help another lineman and leaves his hole wide open. That's unacceptable. It shouldn't happen at all much less 4-5 a game. That's embarrassing and that is on the coaching. You're not going to stop every blitz, but our performance in pass blocking thus far is more to do with mental preparation than with talent. I would be more tolerant if our guys lost the battle, but that they don't even know where to be to engage the defenders just leaves a disgusting taste in my mouth.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #29
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm fine with the ZBS, but it's fundamentally disadvantaged in the red zone. Lighter, faster offensive linemen vs. a compressed defense where linebackers and DB's can support the defensive line. I thought Brandon Brooks would be a solution in one way, but I don't know what happened there.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #30
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197411 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak:

Quote:
(on the problems in the second half of games recently) “Yeah, it’s something we’ve talked about. We’ve got a few ideas. I’m not going to share them with you, but I’m going to try something different. But we’ve struggled coming out offensively in the third quarter. We’ve struggled because I think we’ve struggled to run the ball consistently this year as a football team. Defensively, we’ve given up big plays in the third quarter. We’ll shuffle some things this week and try to do some things better, but we’ve got to play a complete football game.”

(on starting out slowly in the first quarter with turnovers) “Well, I know the last two weeks, we’ve basically spotted a team 21 points when you think about turnovers. The one in Arizona that led to a touchdown. So we’ve played form behind in a lot of football games this year. We have battled back and got our self in position to win in what the last four weeks. We’ve had the ball with a chance to win the football game, but haven’t finished.”
BTW, Kubiak will again be coaching from the heavens...........
Old 11-22-2013   #31
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

O-Line is the #1 reason for our free fall imo and we have been getting progressively worse here for years.

Alex Gibbs.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #32
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
O-Line is the #1 reason for our free fall imo and we have been getting progressively worse here for years.

Alex Gibbs.
yep, agree completely. I just typed the same in another thread. Both sides of the trenches need major upgrades to compliment Watt and Brown.

How Newton was seen as a viable RT is beyond my comprehension. Dude has been horrible regardless of who is behind center. He doesn't even look like a somewhat decent backup, much less a full time starter.
Old 11-22-2013   #33
JPPT1974
September Falls

Rep Power: 864 JPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respected

Next year's draft should hire an OL as the #1 draft pick!
Old 11-23-2013   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I'd love to see them stack the line with 7 Offensive linemen, 1 TE, another offensive lineman as a FB & a RB. Snap the ball, run left, see Ben Tate hit a pile of ugly & push the line as hard as he can.

Then see Case in the back of the end zone on the right side holding the football doing Jacoby's dance.

Old 11-23-2013   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'd love to see them stack the line with 7 Offensive linemen, 1 TE, another offensive lineman as a FB & a RB. Snap the ball, run left, see Ben Tate hit a pile of ugly & push the line as hard as he can.

Then see Case in the back of the end zone on the right side holding the football doing Jacoby's dance.

Who knows, Kubiak is saying that there will be changes in the Jags game that he is not going to be revealing at this time. I hope he put in a call to Art Briles to get some suggestions.
Old 11-23-2013   #36
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post

Alex Gibbs.
I agree, but WTH happened!? We got the same exact guys from last season, the same coaches... yet they are so much worse!
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #37
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I agree, but WTH happened!? We got the same exact guys from last season, the same coaches... yet they are so much worse!

One thing about the OL that hasn't helped is that Newton was never given a chance to recover from his patella tendon surgery, Smith from his bone bruise, Brown from his ankle bone spurs and turf toe, and Brooks from his turf toe.
Old 11-23-2013   #38
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
One thing about the OL that hasn't helped is that Newton was never given a chance to recover from his patella tendon surgery, Smith from his bone bruise, Brown from his ankle bone spurs and turf toe, and Brooks from his turf toe.
Not to mention we peaked here shortly after Gibbs left. What he built was no more after 2011. Our Oline wasnt that good last year.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read