Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013   #61
Exascor
Hall of Fame
 
Exascor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Atascocita
Posts: 1,587
Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Yep. Always take bpa. Now in the perfect world,bpa will fill a need also. I can't remember who,but I asked if Mike Evans is the highest rated player at 5,do you take him? My answer is yes and it has 0 to do with trying to trade andre,its just bpa. For all the crap millen took and he deserves it,he still took megatron despite taking roy williams and mike williams in previous drafts.
So if the best player available is a QB and you've drafted a QB in the first round for the past 3 years, do you still draft bpa?

Eventually you have to take bpa at a position of need or at least don't take a player in a position you have no need for.
__________________
Texans v3.0 - Currently in alpha testing - Expected release date 9/7/2014
Exascor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #62
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,262
Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BL Stop bleeding Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
So if the best player available is a QB and you've drafted a QB in the first round for the past 3 years, do you still draft bpa?

Eventually you have to take bpa at a position of need or at least don't take a player in a position you have no need for.
Yep but you ain't gonna win that war with BPA only folks. For the Texans, BPA each round would probably hit a priority or at least strong need. There can always be exception to filling a need such as a franchise type player when you need maybe a safety.

Don't know about you but I like to evaluate players and when selecting one, be aware of what is coming up in next one to two rounds at least. For example, we need to replace ILB but why go Mosley when you can get a very good linebacker in second or third round? Why draft Matthews in first if you think Antonio Richardson in second can lock down RT for 10 years? I definitely want to get into position to go BPA most rounds but this off season ain't gonna be it. However, if things go well (and when do they ever?) we can set this roster up for success.

I think Texans fans will be agreeable with almost any plan if they know McNair is committed to building a strong team. 4-3 or 3-4, ZBS or power blocking; run oriented, pass first or a mixture; Cam Newton or RG3 type QB as long as it produces football that we enjoy watching and bragging about, fan will be fanatics. That is what we do.

Oh and this
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #63
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 51
Posts: 11,971
Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BL Stop bleeding Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Yep but you ain't gonna win that war with BPA only folks. For the Texans, BPA each round would probably hit a priority or at least strong need. There can always be exception to filling a need such as a franchise type player when you need maybe a safety.

Don't know about you but I like to evaluate players and when selecting one, be aware of what is coming up in next one to two rounds at least. For example, we need to replace ILB but why go Mosley when you can get a very good linebacker in second or third round? Why draft Matthews in first if you think Antonio Richardson in second can lock down RT for 10 years? I definitely want to get into position to go BPA most rounds but this off season ain't gonna be it. However, if things go well (and when do they ever?) we can set this roster up for success.

I think Texans fans will be agreeable with almost any plan if they know McNair is committed to building a strong team. 4-3 or 3-4, ZBS or power blocking; run oriented, pass first or a mixture; Cam Newton or RG3 type QB as long as it produces football that we enjoy watching and bragging about, fan will be fanatics. That is what we do.

Oh and this
I'm a fan of BPA and if say Watkins is BPA and I'm stacked at WR I would try to trade down and accumulate more draft picks. This helps turn the odds in your favor. I will say if you've got a player rated head and shoulders above everybody else on your board you should pick him. Example: Watt, DE wasn't a huge need but Wade took him because he was way higher rated than everybody else on the board.

I try to look at the draft in 2 yr cycles. The OL/DL was very strong last yr, LB's not so much. This yr LB's are strong. So I wouldn't reach for a LB last yr if it was a need, because I know I can get a better LB this yr and use the 2013 draft to fortify the OL/DL and fill in the gaps with FA's.

Hope you can understand my philosophy, this was a poorly written post. LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #64
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,408
Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink Re: BL Stop bleeding Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I'm a fan of BPA and if say Watkins is BPA and I'm stacked at WR I would try to trade down and accumulate more draft picks. This helps turn the odds in your favor. I will say if you've got a player rated head and shoulders above everybody else on your board you should pick him. Example: Watt, DE wasn't a huge need but Wade took him because he was way higher rated than everybody else on the board.

I try to look at the draft in 2 yr cycles. The OL/DL was very strong last yr, LB's not so much. This yr LB's are strong. So I wouldn't reach for a LB last yr if it was a need, because I know I can get a better LB this yr and use the 2013 draft to fortify the OL/DL and fill in the gaps with FA's.

Hope you can understand my philosophy, this was a poorly written post. LOL
Not poorly written at all. Generally if we give a prospect 3 years to grade, influencing future contract offer, we should also look three years ahead in draft cycle. People who arn't into what we do in mock threads cannot fathome why or how we can discuss these topics year round & reason is the process of player evaluation is continuous, year round. Bottom line, in our own little way we are trying to help find answers to player personal questions.

If you are certain Watt is best player on board I would take him this year, next year & the year after that. Imagine a front line with three JJ's? But seriously, odds of BPA being same position in consecutive seasons rare, so there shouldn't be any conflict. Nobody cares or even remembers where you selected a player only that he works out & fills a need on Texans so they can improve.
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #65
otisbean
All Pro
 
otisbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 572
Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BL Stop bleeding Mock Draft

I agree with both you guys, draft your BPA then use FA to fill needs/cover gaps
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #66
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 46,338
Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BL Stop bleeding Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Nobody cares or even remembers where you selected a player only that he works out & fills a need on Texans so they can improve.
That is a demonstrably false statement. Only about a million comments were made on Mario alone with qualifiers such as "for a #1 pick." Good and bad statements are made like OD being a great TE especially for a 4th round pick. People compare performance to draft place constantly.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #67
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,262
Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BL Stop bleeding Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I agree with both you guys, draft your BPA then use FA to fill needs/cover gaps
The current CBA has reduced space to allow FAs to make much difference. I think days of bringing in two big FAs like Joseph and Manning are done. The draft is way to build the roster but we have to be better at it.
We could get an average guy like Joe Mays to shore up a hole but that too is hit or miss.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-23-2013   #68
otisbean
All Pro
 
otisbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 572
Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BL Stop bleeding Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
The current CBA has reduced space to allow FAs to make much difference. I think days of bringing in two big FAs like Joseph and Manning are done. The draft is way to build the roster but we have to be better at it.
We could get an average guy like Joe Mays to shore up a hole but that too is hit or miss.
I wasn't thinking of adding a JJo type player, more like a Joe Mays to plug holes. If you can find a serviceable player to keep you from over drafting a need position that would be ideal. I think the cap situation for most intelligent teams should improve over the next few years as the rookie pay scale is under control now. Theoretically, this should allow more money in the future to fill needs through FA.

And I agree with you as well, we have to be better at drafting. We're not bad but we could be quite a bit better
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #69
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,408
Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BL Stop bleeding Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That is a demonstrably false statement. Only about a million comments were made on Mario alone with qualifiers such as "for a #1 pick." Good and bad statements are made like OD being a great TE especially for a 4th round pick. People compare performance to draft place constantly.
in regards to really good or bad maybe, but you are highlighting the minority (media darlings) not the majority of players (avg. Joe's) in the league. the only critical time is draft day itself, when teams have to act/stand by big boards carved out in war rooms from scouting department/coaching staff & ownership, once selected who gives a rip, at least I don't! As matter of fact once they're off the board & not Texans I don't give a rip
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger