Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-20-2013   #1
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Steel B's Rick/Gary Are Gone Mock

Rd.1 Jake Matthews- OT Texas A&M, 6'5 308 5.25, Matthews is an impact 10 yr starter, great runblocker who has the feet to be a dominate pass blocker too. High football IQ, great bloodlines.

Rd.2 Christin Jones- ILB-OLB, Fla St. 6'2 232 4.64, Jones is a fast tough instinctive LB that can play anywhere in the LB corps. He's a playmaker, something the Texans are sorely lacking. I've got the feeling he can be a pass rusher in the Dumerville role or if the new DC decides to play a 4-3 defense (Something I recommend) he would be a great WLB.

3.Ryan Carrethers- DT Arkansas St. 6'3 328 5.26, Former Wrestler with great quickness. I college he is as dominant as Wilfork is in the NFL. The only reason he falls this far is becuse he plays at a small school. This guy will become dominant in a couple of yrs. This is the guy to help shore up the run defense and keep OL off of cushing.

4. Deion Belue- CB Alabama, 5'11 183 4.48, Top cover guy, good instincts, solid tackler, although he's small was a top S recruit coming out of HS. Major upgrade over McCain. I would trade up if I had to and pick Belue in the bottom of the 3rd.

5. Jon Halapio- OG Florida 6'3 320 5.28, Halapio is a big strong tough guy who the Gators run behind when they need to run the football. Has started 33 games, while he isn't overly athletic Halapio is a football player. He reminds me of a bigger Briesel

5. DeAndre Coleman- DT California, 6'5 315 5.12, Coleman is a big athletic guy who plays on a crappy defense, but I like the fact that he never gives up despite his team gets blown out regularly. He has a chance to be a much better pro than college player. More help in transforming to ais 4-3.

6. Tyler Gaffney- RB Stanford 6'0 226 Stanford, 6'0 226 4.56, Tough, durable, workhorse RB, is always strongest in the 4th qtr. Great feel for the run game, good pass blocker, can catch the ball out of the backfield. Pro ready, Former pro baseball player.

7. Nehemiah Hicks- TE Texas A&M 6'4 255 4.68, Big target, good hands, good blocker. He has been unde used in the pass game but has made his presence felt in the un game. He has potential to be the blocking TE that this team has been missing. He need to get even stronger/bigger but the potential is their.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's Rick/Gary Are Gone Mock

If Rick & Gary are gone .... don't you think a new staff will want their guy at QB when they'll have their pick of the lot ?

I like that draft .... first three rounds are foundation pieces.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #3
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Belue from what I have seen of him.

There are a couple of guys I haven't seen on this mock, but I like the positional choices and the rounds they were selected in. Adding two NTs is a nice idea, we need dline depth badly.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
If Rick & Gary are gone .... don't you think a new staff will want their guy at QB when they'll have their pick of the lot ?

Maybe, but the new regime may like Keenums tape. They may hold off until the 2015 draft that has Hogan/Winston/Petty, all better than the 2014 QB crop. IMHO
Old 11-20-2013   #5
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48706 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Agree, strong valid point. I'm thinking the first thing a new HC is going to analyze is do we have a QB who can make this thing work. Without a competitive QB we're just whistling in the wind. The likely answer is, no we do not. So how and where do we get one.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I like Belue from what I have seen of him.

There are a couple of guys I haven't seen on this mock, but I like the positional choices and the rounds they were selected in. Adding two NTs is a nice idea, we need dline depth badly.
This mock fixes the trenches. I'm really big on having good OL/DL. Watt nees some help. What do you think about my eval of Jones? Have you seen Halapio play? He's got toughness the OL is currently lacking.

Last edited by steelbtexan; 11-20-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2013   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Very Good with or without Kubiak, really nice job addressing problematic needs.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-20-2013   #8
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This mock fixes the trenches. I'm reall big on having good OL/DL. Watt nees some help. What do you think about my eval of Jones? Have you seen Halapio play? He's got toughness the OL is currently lacking.
Jones evaluation seems spot on. I don't know where he ends up in the NFL. I think he was a better ILB, or OLB in a 4-3, than he is an edge pass rusher, but that may be due to experience at the position. I'm excited to see what he does at the combine.

The Gators have a nice running game, so I would assume that Halapio is a good run blocker, but I honestly haven't keyed on him specifically when watching the Gators. The Gators wear teams down with their running game, it's too bad they can't seem to do anything else on offense.

Only issue I have with this mock is that there isn't a QB taken.
Old 11-20-2013   #9
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48706 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe, but the new regime may like Keenums tape. They may hold off until the 2015 draft that has Hogan/Winston/Petty, all better than the 2014 QB crop. IMHO
What happens, what is your Plan B and long term plan, if say the Texans win 6 to 7 games in 2014 and that puts them out of any picture for any of the Top 3 QBs (Winston, Hogan, Petty) in 2015 draft? Conventional Wisdom says few if any of the 2015 class of QBs will meet their 2014 lofty expectations. For every Luck there are numerous Lienart, Young, Clausen, Gabbert, Locker, Sanchez, Barkley, Smith,Thomas etc, etc
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Jones evaluation seems spot on. I don't know where he ends up in the NFL. I think he was a better ILB, or OLB in a 4-3, than he is an edge pass rusher, but that may be due to experience at the position. I'm excited to see what he does at the combine.

The Gators have a nice running game, so I would assume that Halapio is a good run blocker, but I honestly haven't keyed on him specifically when watching the Gators. The Gators wear teams down with their running game, it's too bad they can't seem to do anything else on offense.

Only issue I have with this mock is that there isn't a QB taken.
Thanks for the reply

I dont like any of the QB's in this draft enough to spend a rd 1-3 pick on one. After that you may as well start throwing darts at you QB draft board. 2015 is a different story.

The QB I would consider taking in the 3rd rd is McCarron, I know how you feel about him. LOL I guess you aren't in love with this QB class either.
Old 11-20-2013   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thanks for the reply

I dont like any of the QB's in this draft enough to spend a rd 1-3 pick on one. After that you may as well start throwing darts at you QB draft board. 2015 is a different story.

The QB I would consider taking in the 3rd rd is McCarron, I know how you feel about him. LOL I guess you aren't in love with this QB class either.
I don't have a problem with McCarron. I actually kind of like him, but it's so hard to evaluate him because of how dominant his running game and offensive line is. He makes plays when needed, it's just not often needed, especially in the clutch. I'd look at him in the 3rd round, but if I had my choice between McCarron and Murray in the 3rd, I am taking Murray.

Overall, I don't like this QB class just because of the guys at the top. I think Bridgewater could be special but it's hard to say that with any certainty because of his competition. Mariota may have something special actually, I just don't know because of the system he runs. Manziel, you know where I am at with Manziel. He can really throw the ball and I like his foot quickness a lot, but the character concerns and his style of play are concerning. I think he is going to get hurt too much to even develop. 5'11 185-195 is what I think he actually is. Hundley isn't ready, but I like what he can provide assuming he gets better against tough competition. I like Boyd, but I don't like his occasional inaccuracy and his throwing motion is kind of odd. I would actually take Boyd in the 2nd round, assuming he interviews really well. That FSU game doesn't concern me as much as it does others. Murray is probably my favorite, but can he overcome the height concern like Brees and Wilson have? I thought Wilson was a much better prospect, so I don't know. McCarron, I already talked about him.
Old 11-20-2013   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
What happens, what is your Plan B and long term plan, if say the Texans win 6 to 7 games in 2014 and that puts them out of any picture for any of the Top 3 QBs (Winston, Hogan, Petty) in 2015 draft? Conventional Wisdom says few if any of the 2015 class of QBs will meet their 2014 lofty expectations. For every Luck there are numerous Lienart, Young, Clausen, Gabbert, Locker, Sanchez, Barkley, Smith,Thomas etc, etc
What if the Texans spend a 1st in 2014 on Manziel and he doesn't pan out?

I would rather spend next season evaluating Case behind a fortified OL and if Case doesn't pan out trade up for one of the QB's in 2015. It will pobably cost two 1st's moving from 10-12 to 2-3, but I would rather take my chances on Keenum/Winston/Petty/Hogan than Bridgewater/Manziel/Mariota. That's my plan B. I get what your saying about needing a QB to answer Luck. But this yrs QB class is too risky for my taste.
Old 11-20-2013   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Very Good with or without Kubiak, really nice job addressing problematic needs.
Great minds think alike. LOL

Thanks man it means alot coming fom one of the top ametuer talent evaluators on the MB.
Old 11-20-2013   #14
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

You gave them 2 5th rounders. Is this assuming we get some compensation picks? Also, you said they are going back to a 4-3 defense, is this you assuming again?

Overall the picks look pretty good to me, but I have to think with a new regime, they will want their own QB, unless the coach is Sumlin.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Agreed

But the main problem with tht Texans to date is they dont have the solid foundation pieces. I dont know if it's Rick/Gary/Wade's fault but it is what it is. I do know that Rick ran the 2010 draft when Gary missed the combine. The results were a disaster.
Old 11-20-2013   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
You gave them 2 5th rounders. Is this assuming we get some compensation picks? Also, you said they are going back to a 4-3 defense, is this you assuming again?

Overall the picks look pretty good to me, but I have to think with a new regime, they will want their own QB, unless the coach is Sumlin.
Dutch is pretty good at predicting comp picks and he predicted a 5th.

I hope the go back to a 4-3 with the current lack of LB's/NT's.
Old 11-20-2013   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What if the Texans spend a 1st in 2014 on Manziel and he doesn't pan out?

I would rather spend next season evaluating Case behind a fortified OL and if Case doesn't pan out trade up for one of the QB's in 2015. It will pobably cost two 1st's moving from 10-12 to 2-3, but I would rather take my chances on Keenum/Winston/Petty/Hogan than Bridgewater/Manziel/Mariota. That's my plan B. I get what your saying about needing a QB to answer Luck. But this yrs QB class is too risky for my taste.
I definitely understand this mindset, especially with the QB class we are facing. I really like Petty and obviously Winston. Petty's arm is unreal from the few games I have seen of his. The ball comes off his hand like a rocket. I think he has some issues with pressure right now, but he still has another year to develop.
Old 11-20-2013   #18
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 50351 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I'm the only person here that isn't a big believer in Christian Jones. Not a very sound tackler and bites on the run too much in PA. I feel like this is a pretty weak class at ILB and there is better value taking Borland in the third.
Old 11-20-2013   #19
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104085 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Rd.1 Jake Matthews - zero complaints about this pick. Nail a need, give our QB the protection he needs.

Rd.2 Christian Jones - again no complaints. He can develop nicely in the middle or become a pass rusher on the edge. I think we would play him in the middle mostly though.

3.Ryan Carrethers - You made Wilfork comparisons and I agree. DT is a desperate need.

4. Deion Belue - Brice McCain needs to go. Belue is a tough CB. Solid pick.

5. Jon Halapio - need to watch

5. DeAndre Coleman - need to watch but DT depth = not a bad idea.

6. Tyler Gaffney - I dig this pick. Gaffney is a worker.

7. Nehemiah Hicks - Man I have seen this guy's pass catching talent go wasted here at A&M (like all the other TEs so far in Sumlin's system) but he is a blocker for sure. He'll be valuable at the goal line.

Solid draft. I like the picks, where they are, and the needs being addressed. Patches quite a few holes in the ship.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #20
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Why would they like keenums tape enough to pass a qb? There is no way a new coach and gm is gonna pass their qb for an undrafted free agent. I think even if rick stays and he hires a guy, he's gonna want his guy period.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read