Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-28-2014   #1
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174761 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Are the nay sayers on OB's band wagon yet?

The Texans had a n impressive season. I'd say that they over achieved considering the fact that they had all of those injuries at the QB position and their lousy #1 pick didn't contribute.

A lot of people were bashing OB early on when he was hired and throughout the season. Ending with a 9-7 to where they were a Ravens/Browns game away from making the playoffs was pretty good coming from 2-14 especially getting their last two wins under a QB that the previous coach couldn't get one win with.

I feel like this franchise finally has a strong coach that will usually out coach other team rather than being out coached like we had with Capers/KUbiak.

Thanks for a good season OB. We just need a franchise QB now.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014   #2
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24957 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are the nay sayers on OB's band wagon yet?

Firing kubiak early and going after OB was best move mcnair has made as an owner
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014   #3
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

What an incredibly promising start to his head coaching career. I think he has all the makings of being a fantastic head coach for a long time, I didn't get the feeling that any of our wins were gimmicky, we just looked like a well-coached team for the majority of the season. If we can find QB or if Mallett turns into that guy we could have a real nice run coming up.
Old 12-28-2014   #4
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 157415 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
The Texans had a n impressive season. I'd say that they over achieved considering the fact that they had all of those injuries at the QB position and their lousy #1 pick didn't contribute.

A lot of people were bashing OB early on when he was hired and throughout the season. Ending with a 9-7 to where they were a Ravens/Browns game away from making the playoffs was pretty good coming from 2-14 especially getting their last two wins under a QB that the previous coach couldn't get one win with.

I feel like this franchise finally has a strong coach that will usually out coach other team rather than being out coached like we had with Capers/KUbiak.

Thanks for a good season OB. We just need a franchise QB now.
I was never a nay sayer so sorry i couldn't tell you !

facebook.com/ThatRump
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 255450 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I was not a naysayer but admit was very cautious and it was a huge gamble. I was ready for Kubes to leave three seasons ago regardless of record. Same with Crennell but less risk. Very pleased with both and was hoping Clowney would have the chance to do the same.
Old 12-28-2014   #6
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87661 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't hyped about the hire but was open minded. He did make rookie mistakes throughout the year but he coached well for the most part. Kudos to him
Old 12-28-2014   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 488802 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I've got three things to say about that...

1. I'm a little disappointed O'Brien didn't blow his stack for us to see,

2. I'm a little disappointed O'Brien didn't answer 15 questions in a row with, "We're moving on to [the next game]",

3. I'm smdh Bill O'Brien isn't even in the conversation for H.C.O.Y.
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2014   #8
Corrosion
Idealist

Rep Power: 289057 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

This team exceeded my expectations .... Lots of things I could nitpick OB for but that's hard to do considering they finished on the high end of what I thought possible prior to the season and did it with four quarterbacks.

On to next year .... Honeymoon is over.

Should be an interesting offseason .... lots of questions to be answered.

Who's your QB?
Is Foster back?
Is #80 back?
What happens to the secondary ?!
Lots of others.
Old 12-28-2014   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174761 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
I wasn't hyped about the hire but was open minded. He did make rookie mistakes throughout the year but he coached well for the most part. Kudos to him
He definitely wasn't perfect, but over all what I liked is that we won the majority of games that we were supposed to win. We lost to the tougher teams and only were blown out of like one game. We kept so many games really close and were right there to take it, but had mental errors and a lot of bad QB play that cost us.

Over all though, I feel like this guy had this team ready every week and turned a soft team into a gritty hard nosed team in one off season. I'm pretty happy to be a fan of a team with a hard nosed coach for the first time in Texans history.
Old 12-28-2014   #10
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67866 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I think you Bring both Arian and Andre back. Why? 1. Find a QB and make your run. 2. I'd like to see them both retire here.
Old 12-28-2014   #11
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60331 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

BoB exceeded my expectations.

I thought 8-8 was a high water mark. It wasn't, good for
him and good for the team.

If we can bring most of our current players back next year
we should (barring injury) still be in the playoff hunt this time
next year.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014   #12
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
This team exceeded my expectations .... Lots of things I could nitpick OB for but that's hard to do considering they finished on the high end of what I thought possible prior to the season and did it with four quarterbacks.

On to next year .... Honeymoon is over.

Should be an interesting offseason .... lots of questions to be answered.

Who's your QB?
Is Foster back?
Is #80 back?
What happens to the secondary ?!
Lots of others.
Foster is a big wildcard to me in the off season. I think you have to take long hard look at what you think his health will be moving forward. Depending on what you think it might be, would you consider trading him if the value is right for what you could get? As an aging RB it likely wouldn't be that high, but you never know. I'd love to have him back, but I do think that his mileage as an NFL RB is a strong thing to consider moving forward. What do you think?

I think that AJ is likely gone unless he has a big market for him as a free agent. I silly can't see the Texans not asking him to restructure his contract, and I have no idea if he'll be willing to do it. I heard on the radio from McClain that AJ hasn't been really happy this season and still wants a change of scenery, so we'll see what happens there.

I thought the secondary played great this season honestly.

QB is our biggest problem though. I still think we need to do everything possible to get a proven vet that could be available that is good if one becomes available or to draft "our guy" if we can get low enough in the draft though a trade. I don't think that relying on Mallet is a sound plan when we didn't get to see enough from him.
Old 12-28-2014   #13
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
BoB exceeded my expectations.

I thought 8-8 was a high water mark. It wasn't, good for
him and good for the team.

If we can bring most of our current players back next year
we should (barring injury) still be in the playoff hunt this time
next year.
Are you retracting all of the bashing you did when we hired him and early on in the season now? You were pretty rough on OB.
Old 12-28-2014   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 417456 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I was actually pretty high on OB to start, but after all that rookie treatment of the whole team thing... kinda soured on him.

I think we all agree Kubiak should have been fired. One of the reasons was because the team went 2-14. If we thought that was a 2-14 team, then... firing Kubiak wouldn't have been "the fix"

In other words, we weren't a 2-14 team last year. By all accounts we shouldn't have finished 2-14.

It was practically the same team Kubiak took to 12-4.

So I don't think 9-7 is any kind of evidence to the quality of OBrien's coaching. In fact, Kubiak taking the 2006 team to 6-10 was an even better feat.

There are a lot of things I'm not happy about what OB has done & a lot of things I'm extremely pleased with what OB has done. After his first season I thought Kubiak was in over his head & hoped he would grow into the position. I feel the same way about OB.

Granted, I don't remember Kubiak being as challenged as OB was this year, so I'd probably rate OB's first year a couple of clicks higher than Kubiak's. At this time in Kubiak's career, I felt pretty excited for 2007. Thinking maybe we'd have a winning season. With OBrien, I expect a winning season & I expect to make it past the divisional round.
Old 12-28-2014   #15
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60331 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you retracting all of the bashing you did when we hired him and early on in the season now? You were pretty rough on OB.
Technically, I was never rough on OB -- I was rough on McNair --
Because he hired a guy that was unproven at the pro level when
there were two former superbowl coaches available.

I gave BoB the benefit of the doubt all season, and he did better than
I expected. Although there were times when I started to convulse at
some of the Kubiak-like decisions he made (with players, and game management, etc..)

And, if he does a couple of things:
1) Brings in a legit O.C.
2) Cuts the cord with StinkyPete(tm)
3) Changes his snarky, "bellichick-ian" attitude with the press

I will be fully on the BoB bandwagon

speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014   #16
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 257482 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I was actually pretty high on OB to start, but after all that rookie treatment of the whole team thing... kinda soured on him.

Granted, I don't remember Kubiak being as challenged as OB was this year, so I'd probably rate OB's first year a couple of clicks higher than Kubiak's. At this time in Kubiak's career, I felt pretty excited for 2007. Thinking maybe we'd have a winning season. With OBrien, I expect a winning season & I expect to make it past the divisional round.
Did you ever lose ALL respect for Kubiak as you did OB today?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014   #17
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

OB had a great season. Considering that we had essentially the same personnel as last year. I think OB is a legit coach. I think we are an above average QB away from a deep playoff run.

Our defense needs to remain strong for us to be a perennial playoff team and 2 bad drafts in a row are going to take their toll here soon. My hope is that we have a strong draft ths time around to make up for it.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 187480 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Foster is a big wildcard to me in the off season. I think you have to take long hard look at what you think his health will be moving forward. Depending on what you think it might be, would you consider trading him if the value is right for what you could get? As an aging RB it likely wouldn't be that high, but you never know. I'd love to have him back, but I do think that his mileage as an NFL RB is a strong thing to consider moving forward. What do you think?

I think that AJ is likely gone unless he has a big market for him as a free agent. I silly can't see the Texans not asking him to restructure his contract, and I have no idea if he'll be willing to do it. I heard on the radio from McClain that AJ hasn't been really happy this season and still wants a change of scenery, so we'll see what happens there.

I thought the secondary played great this season honestly.

QB is our biggest problem though. I still think we need to do everything possible to get a proven vet that could be available that is good if one becomes available or to draft "our guy" if we can get low enough in the draft though a trade. I don't think that relying on Mallet is a sound plan when we didn't get to see enough from him.
Money is my biggest problem. I need to do everything possible to win the lottery. I don't think relying on my job is a sound plan since I don't make much.
Old 12-28-2014   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 417456 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Did you ever lose ALL respect for Kubiak as you did OB today?
Twice. When he released Jacoby Jones (felt it was due to fan pressure) & when he didn't let Tj Yates throw the ball when he benched Schaub in the San Fran game 2013.
Old 12-28-2014   #20
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Twice. When he released Jacoby Jones (felt it was due to fan pressure) & when he didn't let Tj Yates throw the ball when he benched Schaub in the San Fran game 2013.
You were one of Kubiak's biggest supporters. That simply can't be denied.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read