Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-15-2013   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hopkins Says He can be Better than AJ

LINK
Pretty damned ballsy from a rookie with 2 career games under his belt. He has produced on the field but is a long way from replacing AJ.
AJ is one good AJ season from jumping about 8-9 spots on the all time receiving yards list. DHop has about 1% of AJ's career yards.

I like confidence, but this smacks of disrespect to the biggest influence he'll probably have in his career. I'm not a big fan of this comment by DHop.
Old 09-15-2013   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81025 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hopkins Says He can be Better than AJ

I'm not a fan of it either, but I don't think he meant anything disrespectful by it. AJ apparently told him not to put himself in his shadow & to try to be even better & that he COULD be even better someday. Hopkins just isn't quite clever or experienced enough to know he shouldn't say that to the media, even if AJ has no problem with it.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 322465 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Aim high, young man.
Old 09-15-2013   #4
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 10496 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
On Sunday, Hopkins said he can better than Andre Johnson.

“That’s my mindset and that’s what Andre’s telling me: ‘Don’t try to shadow yourself when you know you can be better,’ ” Hopkins said.
Sounds harmless and seems like a good mindset to have.
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post
That's one of those "you can think about it but don't say it" things to me. If you want to be better than AJ, go out on the field and do it, don't talk to the media about it. Especially when AJ is in the trainer's room during your shining moment.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if DHop becomes better than AJ. AJ is a few very good years from having HOF stats. I also agree that he should aim high. Just be more respectful about it.
Old 09-15-2013   #6
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This, and dude has a.very long.way to go
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #7
Naiirb
All Pro

Rep Power: 2725 Naiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't see the big deal about this comment. Hopkins even says that's what Andre tells him
Naiirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2013   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 422320 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep, he's just parroting what AJ tells him.

But he should aim high. Aim for Megatron.

JJ Watt says wants to be the best ever. So does DeAndre.

He's a 1st round pick -- he better expect to be great.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #9
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 50129 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

What was the full statement he said? Lets not take anything out of context.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #10
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22107 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Do y'all remember that one guy that came in here from NC I think and said he was going to be better than AJ and was out before training camp started?

Either way, when we win a Superbowl AJ will be seen as great as a sports figure as Hakeem was to this city. He is truly admirable to stick with this franchise after the Capers-Casserly-Carr fiasco. Any other receiver would have left years ago.

Hopkins will never be able to match that. He won't go through building a team. Do that then get back to me. AJ left some good years and stats by doing so.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 301180 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think any disrespect was meant by it. He's got goals and he's set them high where his teammate and mentor told him to set them.

Beats the hell out of that UDFA (whose name I can't even remember) who quit in camp and was talking about being the next Andre Johnson. At least Hopkins has the ability to mindset play his way into the conversation

-great minds
Old 09-15-2013   #12
busterspencer
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 busterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I don't think any disrespect was meant by it. He's got goals and he's set them high where his teammate and mentor told him to set them.

Beats the hell out of that UDFA (whose name I can't even remember) who quit in camp and was talking about being the next Andre Johnson. At least Hopkins has the ability to mindset play his way into the conversation

-great minds
I do not care what he says, good or bad... JUST KEEP PLAYING GOOD FOOTBALL...JUST HELP US WIN!!!!!
Old 09-15-2013   #13
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112904 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
What was the full statement he said? Lets not take anything out of context.
Aw c'mon man! It wouldn't be any fun around here if we weren't allowed to take things out of context.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #14
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfl.com/player/andrejohns...gs?season=2003

He does have slightly better stats than AJ after two games.
Old 09-15-2013   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 422320 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
“He just stepped up,” second-year receiver Keshawn Martin said. “He just made big catch after big catch. He just has incredible talent and I’m excited. I’m excited for the rest of this season.”
“I’m speechless, dude,” tight end Owen Daniels said. “For him to make those plays at that point in the game, just throw it up…”
“Hop played huge in the back end of the game,” head coach Gary Kubiak said. “He made some big plays. That’s what he’s here for. We survived today because of some great heroics and some plays by him. Trusting him, putting up some balls, putting up some jump balls and trusting him.”
“He’s maturing in a hurry,” said Daniels, who was the last Texan aside from Johnson with a 100-yard receiving game. “You don’t expect that confidence and maturity out of a guy as young as he is, with as little experience as he has. It’s Week 2 in his first year in the league, but he’s a really confident guy. He knows that if the ball’s in the air, that he’s gonna go and snatch that thing. He did it all day today. He’s done it since I’ve seen him here, since he’s been in town.”
http://www.csnhouston.com/football-h...s%E2%80%99-win

Quote:
“It was a great ball by (QB) Matt (Schaub),” Hopkins said of his game-winning catch. “He put it in the perfect position for me to go up and catch it. We practice that basically every day, the wide receivers. And practice makes perfect.”

“Anytime I see one-on-one, that’ s wide receiver’s dream,” Hopkins said.

“I probably had about 16 people come from South Carolina,” Hopkins said. “There was probably 10 of them who it was their first time flying.”

...Hopkins strives to be even more prolific than the 11-year veteran.

“I feel like I can be better than Andre,” Hopkins said. “That’s my mindset. And that’s what Andre tells me. (He says) Don’t try to shadow yourself when you know you can be better.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...1-ff6050e60474
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #16
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 50129 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Aw c'mon man! It wouldn't be any fun around here if we weren't allowed to take things out of context.
That's true ... message boards are all about taking things out of context.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #17
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25247 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
Do y'all remember that one guy that came in here from NC I think and said he was going to be better than AJ and was out before training camp started?

Either way, when we win a Superbowl AJ will be seen as great as a sports figure as Hakeem was to this city. He is truly admirable to stick with this franchise after the Capers-Casserly-Carr fiasco. Any other receiver would have left years ago.

Hopkins will never be able to match that. He won't go through building a team. Do that then get back to me. AJ left some good years and stats by doing so.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
Well, I agree it will be tough to match what Andre or Hakeem has done...but if say Harden-Dwight combo won 4 championships?? I'd put them over Hakeem, that's just me.

So if Hopkins 10 years from now is passing Andre on the all-time list and thanks to him we have a couple of superbowls...then yeah, he'd pass Andre for me.

Doesn't mean I'd forget Andre or not respect what he's done. My hopes is that Hopkins DOES surpass Andre. I'm a fan of the team first so I hope he IS better than Andre because that thought is crazy.

With that said, he has some time to go. He also doesn't have the physical tools Andre does, doesn't mean he can't be great though. Right now he's had one good game so I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I'm glad he has confidence and I hope he works towards that goal instead of just saying it to say it.
Old 09-15-2013   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 273556 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure he meant no disrespect, but he could have probably waited a little longer to say it publicly. Sort of like the Letterman jacket fiasco........should have waited to try to make a statement AFTER establishing a meaningful accomplishment..........didn't make anyone look good.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a comment I'd have read and thought nothing of.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 338874 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Aim for the stars... hit the moon.

either way, we win.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read