Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-17-2013   #1
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 7186 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Can somebody please explain to me...can't pick up a blitz

...why we suck so bad against the blitz this year? Is it just because our offensive line stinks, or that we have RB injury issues? Is it that simple, or are there other reasons?
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #2
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Can somebody please explain to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
because we have a bad head coach with an outdated offense.

absolutely no offensive adjustment to teams blitzing case.

No draw plays to kill the blitz
no bubble screens to wrs
no screens to rbs
no short slants

This coaching staff has always had trouble with in game adjustments.

This offense has always struggled in the second half scoring dating back to last year.

Case has played great so far this season with everything stacked against him. You give schaub 7 years of mediocrity yet you cant even give keenum who has put up great numbers 5 games before you pull him.

SHAMELESS AND DISGUSTING.
I agree with this, the coaches do nothing to help the QB with the blitz, they call screens at the wrong time, they call draws at the wrong time, they empty the back field with no RB at the wrong time.
Old 11-17-2013   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Can somebody please explain to me...
Why Matt McGloin has 3 passing TDs against our defense.

Or what a "McGloin" is? (I thought he was a character in Gangs of New York?)
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #4
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

The burning question is: Has McNair seen enough of this clusterbuck to make wholesale changes when the season is over?

He has to realize that his team is the laughingstock of the NFL.

If that debacle in the red zone at the end of the game doesn't result in McNair's head exploding then he is as much the problem as anyone.

Old 11-17-2013   #5
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57418 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak is trolling you...
Old 11-17-2013   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I gotta throw in the the O-line has SUCKED all year. Also, Keenum, while I'm rooting for him, is not dealing with the blitz well at all and that's why they keep doing it excessively against him (that, & the O-line is a freaking turnstyle). He can't hit the hot receiver on the short route accurately, & I think he doesn't see him soon enough either. This is something he might improve on a lot in the future....or not....I don't know.

Schaub does that far better than Keenum, but we all know he isn't the answer.

We might need a NEW QB, along with a heart and a head coach.

I'm going to find the pink soap, or blue, or whatever.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #7
Naija Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 946 Naija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

You got a inconsistent offensive line (Newton is straight killing them on too many plays), our best pass protecting RB is out for the season and the best TE is out.

Plus this maybe just venom from the recent loss but I question some of the play calling being so predictable the defense knows what is coming and can out work our linemen.
Naija Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-17-2013   #8
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Because our Offensive SUCKS.
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naija Texan View Post
You got a inconsistent offensive line (Newton is straight killing them on too many plays), our best pass protecting RB is out for the season and the best TE is out.

Plus this maybe just venom from the recent loss but I question some of the play calling being so predictable the defense knows what is coming and can out work our linemen.
How do you call for a draw play when the D has been blitzing progressively more the whole game & getting most of the pressure right up the middle? Actually, that's not even predictuable; it's just STUPID.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Being bad against the blitz is a small symptom if the greater problem which is kubiak and quite possibly an owner depending on how he handles this.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #11
bigmck
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
i mean just look at the play where they pull the runing back away from the back field and put him all the way to the sideline,

WTH IS THAT?

WTH IS THAT?
I agree, that is just stupid. It should be used rarely when you are going to have a play where you want to flood downfield with receivers. The Texans are using it a good percentage of the time.
bigmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #12
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 62228 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Really McLovin had time to write a book and Keenum didn't have time read a txt.
Old 11-17-2013   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
The burning question is: Has McNair seen enough of this clusterbuck to make wholesale changes when the season is over?

He has to realize that his team is the laughingstock of the NFL.

If that debacle in the red zone at the end of the game doesn't result in McNair's head exploding then he is as much the problem as anyone.

If McNair doesn't see what has transpired here, I'm not sure what to think or what I am going to do. If he approaches this as something that is mendable with this current regime, I may just call it quits on this team.

I love my Texans, I am a diehard fan, truly. But I am not down for watching a failing organization fail year after year. If McNair doesn't see what is happening now, in this epic meltdown that we just witnessed, then he truly will never have a successful franchise. He'd have to get lucky.

But I don't think that is the case. I think everyone and their mom just saw this as what it truly was, a coaching/player meltdown. The end of the road. The end for this current regime.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #14
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40550 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I gotta throw in the the O-line has SUCKED all year. Also, Keenum, while I'm rooting for him, is not dealing with the blitz well at all and that's why they keep doing it excessively against him (that, & the O-line is a freaking turnstyle). He can't hit the hot receiver on the short route accurately, & I think he doesn't see him soon enough either. This is something he might improve on a lot in the future....or not....I don't know.

We might need a NEW QB, along with a heart and a head coach.

I'm going to find the pink soap, or blue, or whatever.
Thanks for the best, unbiased response I've heard in a while!
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #15
midway
Veteran

Rep Power: 1491 midway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did the last 3 weeks make this board lose its collective memory about Schaub's response to blitzes?

Also the Raiders didn't blitz Schaub, there was absolutely no need, he's simply not good enough to win.
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #16
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by midway View Post
Did the last 3 weeks make this board lose its collective memory about Schaub's response to blitzes?

Also the Raiders didn't blitz Schaub, there was absolutely no need, he's simply not good enough to win.
And simply not good enough to beat them with all day to throw against a soft zone, very sad.
Old 11-17-2013   #17
Naija Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 946 Naija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How do you call for a draw play when the D has been blitzing progressively more the whole game & getting most of the pressure right up the middle? Actually, that's not even predictuable; it's just STUPID.
How about calling a reverse, some screens or getting better blockers?

You had a banged up Ben Tate (who was never great at pass blocking when at his best) in there mostly and a small framed undrafted rookie in there as your primary RBs. Karim isn't doing JACK in special teams, he at least 10 lbs on Johnson, why not have him in on plays you know will require pass blocking?

We've kept Andrew Gardner on this team for almost 3 seasons, WHY when he hasn't sniffed at challenging anyone for a first or second string? How do we have Garrett Graham (13) a good but not special TE and Keyshawn Martin (5) who over his 2 seasons has actually dropped half the balls thrown his way have more targets then your young talented and promising 2nd WR Hopkins (2)?

As bad as the blitzing was and as bad our protection has been, we were out coached in the second half like we've been all season long and the coaches job is to fix problems when they are obvious trends. Guys failing to pick up the blitz is a obvious trend.
Naija Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #18
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Can somebody please explain to me...can't pick up a blitz

The O-Line sucks.
The backs and TEs are terrible blockers.
Keenum can't read a defense.
Schaub is a statue.
Our receivers are not burners and need time to create separation.

Add it all together are you're going to have a bad time.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #19
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Being bad against the blitz is a small symptom if the greater problem which is kubiak and quite possibly an owner depending on how he handles this.

Yup! True!
Old 11-17-2013   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Can somebody please explain to me...can't pick up a blitz

On Keenum's INT Wade Smith got blown up and his man hit Keenum pretty much as he was throwing.

On one sack Brooks blew his assignment - Brooks didn't block anyone , shifted to the other side of the line away from the pressure.

On the other sack , Newton & Tate both missed assignments - Newton took the inside guy , Tate didn't block anyone tho his assignment should have been the inside guy and Newton the widest defender.

There were numerous other blown blocking assignments and other instances of guys getting beat - Particularly Newton.

Doesn't matter who the QB is when mistakes like that are made by the linemen ...

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read