Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-30-2013   #81
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Duane Brown and Jake Matthews

Look at the last 10 bowl winners and losers and you won't find 1 rt taken even in the top 15. You would be hard pressed to find a lt taken in the top 10 on those teams. I wouldn't waste a top 3 pick on a non impact player. Go look at the 07 joe thomas draft and look at the guys taken around him. Megatron,AD,revis,lynch,willis. The last good rt the texans had was a 3rd rd pick. I would take clowney or mike evans way before I would draft matthews.
Old 11-30-2013   #82
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliantTexan View Post
Fisher,Joeckel, and Johnson all went in the top five this past draft. And each of them are currently listed at right tackle for their teams. Not exactly unheard of.
Fisher went to a team who eventually franchised tagged their LT and seems unlikely to retain him next year and Jacksonville traded their LT and will probably start Joeckel next year when he's healthy. It's not an analogous situation.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #83
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Look at the last 10 bowl winners and losers and you won't find 1 rt taken even in the top 15. You would be hard pressed to find a lt taken in the top 10 on those teams. I wouldn't waste a top 3 pick on a non impact player.
I wouldn't call them non-impact players, but...

1st round OTs from the past 10 SB winners:

Michael Oher: 1-23 RT playing LT
Baluga: 1-23 RT
Tarik Glenn: 1-19 LT
Old 11-30-2013   #84
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Look at the last 10 bowl winners and losers and you won't find 1 rt taken even in the top 15. You would be hard pressed to find a lt taken in the top 10 on those teams. I wouldn't waste a top 3 pick on a non impact player. Go look at the 07 joe thomas draft and look at the guys taken around him. Megatron,AD,revis,lynch,willis. The last good rt the texans had was a 3rd rd pick. I would take clowney or mike evans way before I would draft matthews.
After thinking about it I would take Clowney or Barr over Matthews. Of course I just watched 2 series of Morgan Moses dominate Jimmy Gayle. I'm moving Moses up to Rd.3 in my next mock.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #85
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I wouldn't call them non-impact players, but...

1st round OTs from the past 10 SB winners:

Michael Oher: 1-23 RT playing LT
Baluga: 1-23 RT
Tarik Glenn: 1-19 LT

You proved my point. Texans have a high end lt,I think myers is solid,brooks can be good. I would insert jones at rg and quess at rt from what I saw at camp. Most important is the qb
Old 11-30-2013   #86
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You proved my point. Texans have a high end lt,I think myers is solid,brooks can be good. I would insert jones at rg and quess at rt from what I saw at camp. Most important is the qb
If there was a QB worth taking at 1-1.

In my mind there isn't one worthy.

In yours I'm sure you think Bridgewater is worth 1-1. Can you say HWNSNBM part deaux.
Old 11-30-2013   #87
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
After thinking about it I would take Clowney or Barr over Matthews. Of course I just watched 2 series of Morgan Moses dominate Jimmy Gayle. I'm moving Moses up to Rd.3 in my next mock.
Contrary to our disagreements on qbs, I agree with what you post about the trench warfare. Now maybe we disagree about the value of when to draft the guys,but overrall I. Agree the need for these guys. I think all in all, I want playmakers in the 1st 3 rounds. I need guys who can make game altering plays. In the early 1st I see bridgewater,clowney,mike evans,cj mosely,barr, in the top as splash guys. There will be high quality ol and dt depth in the 2nd,3rd rds.
Old 11-30-2013   #88
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If there was a QB worth taking at 1-1.

In my mind there isn't one worthy.

In yours I'm sure you think Bridgewater is worth 1-1. Can you say HWNSNBM part deaux.
Where are u getting ur info from. Bridgewater is a way better prospect than carr ever was. Its not even close. A lot of the texans line issue come from the limited rt tree by the qbs and lack of poise. Schaub stays on schedule but has 0 mobility and keenum can't stay on schedule and panics.
Old 11-30-2013   #89
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Contrary to our disagreements on qbs, I agree with what you post about the trench warfare. Now maybe we disagree about the value of when to draft the guys,but overrall I. Agree the need for these guys. I think all in all, I want playmakers in the 1st 3 rounds. I need guys who can make game altering plays. In the early 1st I see bridgewater,clowney,mike evans,cj mosely,barr, in the top as splash guys. There will be high quality ol and dt depth in the 2nd,3rd rds.
The thought of pairing Watt with Clowney or Barr is more appealing than drafting Bridgewater and watching his career get killed like Carr.

Clowney with Watt and a guy like Ego Ferguson in the 3rd means pass rush problems solved for the next 10 yrs. I would draft these guys switch to a 4-3 since the LB corps stinks so bad.
Old 11-30-2013   #90
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The thought of pairing Watt with Clowney or Barr is more appealing than drafting Bridgewater and watching his career get killed like Carr.

Clowney with Watt and a guy like Ego Ferguson in the 3rd means pass rush problems solved for the next 10 yrs. I would draft these guys switch to a 4-3 since the LB corps stinks so bad.
The jets have the best front in football. They work teams when geno plays well or even avg.you can have watt and clowney playing with their hair on fire,but,when the qb is a liability ,it doesn't matter. Comparing bridgewater coming to a team with 2 probowl caliber players and andre to carr and coming to an expansion team isn't even aples to oranges. The line isn't as bad as you make it out to be. They have an immobile,slow footed avg arm guy and a short,erractic avg arm guy. No comparison.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read