Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-18-2013   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown and Jake Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I don't think the way our season is going we'll have to trade up for him. It's likely that the 2-3 teams in front of us will be looking to draft QB or defense (i.e. Clowney) before tackle.
You seemigly are unaware of the back & forth BHSman & I are having. His position is we could trade out of top 5 for a similar player to Matthews. I think that could be great but I questioned who would trade up to take our pick.
Old 11-18-2013   #42
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

We have over a month left in the season. I know my mind is going to change plenty between now and the draft as we get more info to analyze.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #43
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
We have over a month left in the season. I know my mind is going to change achingly between now and the draft as we get more info to analyze.
Sure but there has to be some reason to look forward to.
Old 11-18-2013   #44
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Sure but there has to be some reason to look forward to.
I like reading all the comments. Gives me something to think about other than kubiak and Schaub. I'm pretty sure they'll be gone next year anyways so I really don't even care about them anymore.

So yeah....you are right. The draft is definitely something to look forward to and think about.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #45
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why trade up for Matthews if Lewan or Kouandijo or Irving or Richardson are almost as good as others have posted? Can't see either of those teams giving up much when they can sit tight and get a decent Olineman. Chargers could get a very good OG staying put.
If they're so interchangeable, why is half this thread at half-mast over drafting a right tackle at 3rd-5th overall?
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #46
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You seemigly are unaware of the back & forth BHSman & I are having. His position is we could trade out of top 5 for a similar player to Matthews. I think that could be great but I questioned who would trade up to take our pick.
Whoops. Missed out on the context there.

Well, heavily dependent on the Ben Roethlisberger situation in Pittsburgh, if he is traded, they might be looking to trade up. They may be looking to trade up regardless to get Jake Matthews and protect their QB. That's a very slim possibility.

Cleveland has an extra 1st. Perhaps we could trade for theirs, and a second on top of that. They'd have our first and the one they got from Indy. However Cleveland's first might be further back than we really want.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
If they're so interchangeable, why is half this thread at half-mast over drafting a right tackle at 3rd-5th overall?
Good question and has been topic of conversation during years I have been on this MB. It is the "value" thing. It is known that usually certain positions can be drafted in other rounds or at least may be drafted lower in specific round. I follow that to some extent but must realize that those other players may not be there. Often posters make comments like you can draft a right tackle later, but then say they do not watch college games or know little about those other players. How is that plausible? For example, I have watched Kouandijo, Richardson, Erving and Collins a lot; none are as good as Matthews. It is strictly opinion if you take Matthews or settle for a lesser talent and perhaps get extra draft pick. I am awaiting responses from my 3 Amigos partners on a trade down scenario I suggested.

My "philosophy" is if you want a player to fill a high priority need, why be concerned that you might "reach"? The fun of mocks is not saying take a tacke or QB in first but rather getting the best total mock value rather than just one or two picks.

To answer your question, Matthews and the other guys are not interchangeable, but is a particular team able to get a solid RT rather than trading up and spending more to get a franchise RT that will also be a franchise LT. For me I hold Matthews unless an overwhelming trade is offered.
Old 11-18-2013   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Whoops. Missed out on the context there.

Well, heavily dependent on the Ben Roethlisberger situation in Pittsburgh, if he is traded, they might be looking to trade up. They may be looking to trade up regardless to get Jake Matthews and protect their QB. That's a very slim possibility.

Cleveland has an extra 1st. Perhaps we could trade for theirs, and a second on top of that. They'd have our first and the one they got from Indy. However Cleveland's first might be further back than we really want.
Cooking dinner now but will try to pm you a possible trade scenario I am thinking of for your opinion.
Old 11-18-2013   #49
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85909 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't like the idea of drafting a RT high. However, drafting a franchise LT and playing him at RT until Duane Brown's contract is up is entirely different. I wouldn't have a problem taking Matthews in the top 5 and then giving him a big contract and moving him to LT when Brown's deal is up.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #50
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I don't like the idea of drafting a RT high. However, drafting a franchise LT and playing him at RT until Duane Brown's contract is up is entirely different. I wouldn't have a problem taking Matthews in the top 5 and then giving him a big contract and moving him to LT when Brown's deal is up.
What kinda prospect is Baylor's Richardson ? Im all for trying to build a line like the saints had with Evans and Nicks . I think Brooks can be one of those guys so they're half way there .
Old 11-19-2013   #51
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85909 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
What kinda prospect is Baylor's Richardson ? Im all for trying to build a line like the saints had with Evans and Nicks . I think Brooks can be one of those guys so they're half way there .
He's in that top tier of OG's. Late 1st-early 2nd round pick more than likely. Some teams like him at OT because it's a premiere position, but he's a good college OT compared to being an elite college OG.

I'm convinced that the Seahawks will be leaving the 1st round with either him or Gabe Jackson.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #52
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8094 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
kinda moronic to draft with potential future cap 'implications' in mind.
rick smith is that you!?!?
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #53
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
rick smith is that you!?!?

After watchin todays game

Give me

Rd,1 Matthews, after a trade down
Rd,2 Richardson.

It's time to build the best OL possible.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #54
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
After watchin todays game

Give me

Rd,1 Matthews, after a trade down
Rd,2 Richardson.

It's time to build the best OL possible.
Why would you want TWO tackles taken high when we would need one at best with maybe a lower round pick for depth?
Old 11-25-2013   #55
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Why would you want TWO tackles taken high when we would need one at best with maybe a lower round pick for depth?
Mattews is the #1 rated OT and Zyril Richardson is the #1 rated OG.

An OL of

Brown/Richardson/Myers/Brooks would fix (Garts word) alot of what's wrong with the offense. Building the old Oilers OL

Steinkuhler/Munchack.Pennison/Matthews/Salem didn't miss many playoffs. Much less go 2=8.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #56
bhsman
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Mattews is the #1 rated OT and Zyril Richardson is the #1 rated OG.

An OL of

Brown/Richardson/Myers/Brooks would fix (Garts word) alot of what's wrong with the offense. Building the old Oilers OL

Steinkuhler/Munchack.Pennison/Matthews/Salem didn't miss many playoffs. Much less go 2=8.
Ah, gotcha. I thought you were referring to Tony "Tiny" Richardson out of Tennessee. Even then, LG may not be that great of a priority between Quessenberry and Ben Jones.
Old 11-25-2013   #57
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems to me that the fanabse overvalues Jake because his last name is Matthews.

Great player, but the team already has a great LT. What they don't have are pass rushers or a QB
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #58
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
It seems to me that the fanabse overvalues Jake because his last name is Matthews.

Great player, but the team already has a great LT. What they don't have are pass rushers or a QB
matthews can play RT....& we definitely don't have 1 of those.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #59
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
matthews can play RT....& we definitely don't have 1 of those.
Spending a top-5 pick on a RT makes no sense, and any trade down will see him gone as a team takes him for an LT.

The team has no QB or pass rush outside JJ Watt. You can fix RT in round 3. Can't really do that with QB or pass rusher (baring a Russell Wilson-like breakout)
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #60
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Spending a top-5 pick on a RT makes no sense, and any trade down will see him gone as a team takes him for an LT.

The team has no QB or pass rush outside JJ Watt. You can fix RT in round 3. Can't really do that with QB or pass rusher (baring a Russell Wilson-like breakout)
This. It has become painfully clear to me that we may not suck enough to get our hands on someone like Winston next year, so let's grab our franchise guy while we can. Other than the knock on his arm (which isn't a big knock, let's be honest, his arm is more than adequate) Bridgewater has a strong mental game and is almost unfazed by pressure. He steps up in the pocket to deliver.

We land Bridgewater in the 1st, pick up a pass rusher in the second (if we have first pick we can probably still land a late 1st round prospect who just slipped a little) and look for O-line in the third, ILB in the fourth (or perhaps trade up lower picks for another 3rd rounder and get Skov) and so on.

I expect us to pick up a nickel CB in free agency.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read