Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-14-2013   #1
Lord Bills
Destruction

Rep Power: 440 Lord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respected
Arrow (Grantland/Barnwell) How the Texans FELL FROM GRACE

Quote:
The writing has been on the wall for the 2-7 Houston Texans for a while now. On Tuesday, the organization waved the white flag. The Texans placed star running back Arian Foster on injured reserve with an undisclosed back injury that will require surgery. On the other side of the ball, they released offseason pickup Ed Reed after just seven games in Houston, with the future Hall of Famer having fallen out of the starting lineup after the team's bye week. He played just 12 snaps on defense in Houston's loss to Arizona last Sunday. Combined with the benching of Matt Schaub for Case Keenum, it's safe to say that the Texans are playing for 2014.

What's so surprising is how quickly things fell apart in Houston. Sure, it was reasonable to expect that the Texans wouldn't go 12-4 again; they were 5-0 in games decided by one touchdown or less last year, and they're 2-4 this year. The talent level here was supposed to be immune to a season this bad. As recently as the 2011 playoffs, the Texans roster might very well have been the envy of the league, full of talented young players on team-friendly rookie contracts, thanks to the drafting acumen of general manager Rick Smith.

That's no longer the case. Moves made by the organization over the past several seasons left the Texans with a series of toxic contracts, deals they've either had or will have to dump while assuming dead money in the process. Elsewhere, players have failed to develop or struggled to replace the talent that a cap-strapped Texans team had to let go elsewhere. Detailing those decisions gives a sense of where things went wrong for Houston and how they've fallen so far off the competitive map in 2013.
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...ell-from-grace

Long article. Barnwell goes as far back as 2010 and discusses notable signings.

Not a good look for the GM.
Lord Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #2
Happy187
Rookie

Default Re: (Grantland/Barnwell) How the Texans FELL FROM GRACE

Thanks for the cool article link.
Happy187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #3
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 12391 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys at Grantland are usually insightful, this was a pretty generic timeline culminating in "Smith is a good GM" ? Thanks for the hours of research. In football you never give big deals out until the last minute, players hold little leverage in negotiations.
Old 11-14-2013   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 112052 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We need a GM with some cap experience and one that doesn't need on the job training. Also, we need a GM that is "in charge". That would be nice.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 77891 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
We need a GM with some cap experience and one that doesn't need on the job training. Also, we need a GM that is "in charge". That would be nice.
You think McNair's going to buy out that much of his contract? I don't, and unfortunately, I think all of our HC candidate talk is moot as well.

I just wonder if McNair will have Kubiak coach a lame duck year or extend him. lol
Old 11-14-2013   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

They forgot Manning and OD.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
You think McNair's going to buy out that much of his contract? I don't, and unfortunately, I think all of our HC candidate talk is moot as well.

I just wonder if McNair will have Kubiak coach a lame duck year or extend him. lol
We haven't heard much from Bob lately .
Old 11-14-2013   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 112052 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

McNair and his organization has a bad habit of rewarding pseudo-success and potential (starting but not ending with the David Carr situation). I think perhaps he needs to learn how to reward something beyond progress and potential. I think we are in new territory here.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #9
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26021 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

No, I didn't write this article but I could've. Several of my comments have expressed most of these same points of view.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 77891 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
McNair and his organization has a bad habit of rewarding pseudo-success and potential (starting but not ending with the David Carr situation). I think perhaps he needs to learn how to reward something beyond progress and potential. I think we are in new territory here.
I sure hope you're right. I've probably been sounding like a broken record saying it'll be status quo next season. It's hard to believe otherwise due to our history of you just mentioned.

This sucks! We're cap screwed. We're coach screwed and we're GM screwed.
Old 11-14-2013   #11
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont need anyone to tell me how the texans "fell from grace" I have watched every damn game, seen every player released/signed, so i dont need to waste anytime on another article from someone who just reads about the team and sees the occasional highlight.
Old 11-14-2013   #12
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26021 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I sure hope you're right. I've probably been sounding like a broken record saying it'll be status quo next season. It's hard to believe otherwise due to our history of you just mentioned.

This sucks! We're cap screwed. We're coach screwed and we're GM screwed.
The good news is it's ALL FIXABLE.
Old 11-14-2013   #13
Texian
Hall of Fame

IMHO you can add the following to the list of Barnwell's reasons for the Texans demise:

Bob McNair said in 2006 that Bob Kraft, a fellow owner, was his friend and mentor. In 2006 after the Patriots had won 3 out of 5 Super Bowls, Bob said he was going to use "The Patriot Model" to build his team. Understandable and made sense at the time. Building his "Patriot Model" Bob hired Gary Kubiak to be his Bill Belichick and Rick Smith to be Gary's Scott Pioli. Gary traded for Matt Schaub to be his Tom Brady.

The flaw in the Bob's "Patriot Model" is unlike Belichick who not only had a great mind for the X and Os in all three phases of the game, Belichick had a very good understanding of the dollar and cents of the salary cap, an eye for talent and also how to organize, prepare and run the team NFL draft. With Gary Kubiak, Bob has a head coach who has Belichick power but has demonstrated he is ONLY very good at the X and Os on the offense.

After 8 years it has become clear that Gary Kubiak is NOT Bill Belichick, Rick Smith is not Scott Pioli and Matt Schaub is not Tom Brady. Maybe the time has come for Bob McNair to scrap his "Patriot Model" and adopt the "Packers Model" or the "Ravens Model" and find his Ted Thompson or Ozzie Newsome. The first place Bob should look is to Eric DeCosta, 17 years in the Ravens system, schooled in all departments, learned from Ozzie and promoted to Assistant GM. The first head coach Bob and Eric should talk to is David Shaw.
Old 11-14-2013   #14
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2292 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would hire Eric DeCosta right now. The Ravens have been smart with the cap and have been a good team for more than a decade.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #15
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 23062 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

tl;dr version for you kids out there: It is Rick Smith's fault.

I agree.
Old 11-14-2013   #16
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 4112 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

That article seems to vindicate Smith, not hurt him.

Walter: That's not a terrible contract. Only 8 was guaranteed and he was a veteran receiver. I'm sure Kubiak was saying he was the guy he wanted too.

Ryans: You don't know he's going to tear his achilles causing you to need to draft Cushing.

Joseph: Again, no alternative. We HAD to have a good veteran corner, and even with his current play, he's been significantly better than Asomugha.

Foster: I'm never a fan of paying running backs, but from an organization, fan, and owner standpoint, I'm not sure there was much choice here.

Mario: clearly the right decision.

Brisel: clearly the right decision.

Winston: clearly the right decision.

Bullock: That had to be Kubiak, not Smith.

Schaub: I bet that was a Kubiak decision, the contract isn't terrible, and it's structured so we can get out of it.

Reed: Awful.

Cushing: Guys get injured.

That's a lot more good decisions than bad ones.
noxiousdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #17
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
That article seems to vindicate Smith, not hurt him.

Walter: That's not a terrible contract. Only 8 was guaranteed and he was a veteran receiver. I'm sure Kubiak was saying he was the guy he wanted too.

Ryans: You don't know he's going to tear his achilles causing you to need to draft Cushing.

Joseph: Again, no alternative. We HAD to have a good veteran corner, and even with his current play, he's been significantly better than Asomugha.

Foster: I'm never a fan of paying running backs, but from an organization, fan, and owner standpoint, I'm not sure there was much choice here.

Mario: clearly the right decision.

Brisel: clearly the right decision.

Winston: clearly the right decision.

Bullock: That had to be Kubiak, not Smith.

Schaub: I bet that was a Kubiak decision, the contract isn't terrible, and it's structured so we can get out of it.

Reed: Awful.

Cushing: Guys get injured.

That's a lot more good decisions than bad ones.
Dont agree, we should of kept Winston. He is worlds better than newton could ever dream of being
Old 11-14-2013   #18
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 4112 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Dont agree, we should of kept Winston. He is worlds better than newton could ever dream of being
Not at that price tag. It was an easy cut.
Old 11-14-2013   #19
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
Not at that price tag. It was an easy cut.
Have you looked at our offensive line this season ? Whats more important a good o-line or saving a few bucks that u eventually blow on a washed up safety
Old 11-14-2013   #20
noxiousdog
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Have you looked at our offensive line this season ? Whats more important a good o-line or saving a few bucks that u eventually blow on a washed up safety
Winston still sucks, as evidenced by being cut by two more teams (I thought he was in Raider's camp, but maybe not), and being on a new bad O-line.

You're right, the o-line clearly needs improved and Newton's terrible, but that doesn't negate the Winston decision.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read