Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: You make the call!
Keep Kubiak & Smith 13 11.21%
Fire Kubiak & Smith 77 66.38%
Fire Kubiak & keep Smith 22 18.97%
Keep Kubiak & fire Smith 2 1.72%
Other 2 1.72%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2013   #21
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 51498 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak/Smith: Keep them or fire them?

I voted 'fire Kubiak, keep Smith'. Here's the reasoning: they've both got to go, but there's no one at the club who has a clue who to hire (witness the Dan Reeves consultancy fiasco last time around), so Fire Kubiak and get Smith to hire his replacement. Give Smith one more draft / FA and if things don't drastically improve next season, fire him too.
markn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #22
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i'll be a lonely sunshiner. i have enough confidence in kubiak's talents to keep him, especially if we decide to go with keenum. smith i dont have strong feelings about in either direction.
You do realize that his "talents" have gotten us a 2-7 record with a talented squad, don't you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #23
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

well aware of it. and hopefully this epic fail of a season will spark some changes within the organization. i dont believe that kubiak needs to be one of those changes.
Old 11-12-2013   #24
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 8553 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

I vote to fire them both, but I would be ok if Smith stayed.
BigBull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #25
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
well aware of it. and hopefully this epic fail of a season will spark some changes within the organization. i dont believe that kubiak needs to be one of those changes.
Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #26
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Fire both. I am not sure why some think Smith would be OK to keep. His HUGE mistakes erase any very small success he has had. Don't want to hear how he structured MS contract so that the hit would not be very bad if we needed to release. We should have never extended. Don't want to hear how Mcnair made the decision on Reed. A real GM would have over ruled. Really would like to hear what Smith has done to warrant even thinking about keeping. What player has he traded and got the best end of the deal?
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #27
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn View Post
I voted 'fire Kubiak, keep Smith'. Here's the reasoning: they've both got to go, but there's no one at the club who has a clue who to hire (witness the Dan Reeves consultancy fiasco last time around), so Fire Kubiak and get Smith to hire his replacement. Give Smith one more draft / FA and if things don't drastically improve next season, fire him too.

How would Smith know who to hire? Kubiak is the one who brought him on board.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-12-2013   #28
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Don't want to hear how Mcnair made the decision on Reed. A real GM would have over ruled.
Not real familiar with chain of command? Owner trumps GM.
Old 11-12-2013   #29
Ghostform
Veteran

Rep Power: 7330 Ghostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully both so i can do my best Mel Gibson impression

Ghostform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #30
Naija Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 946 Naija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was previously on board with keeping Smith and maybe Wade Phillips + defensive coaches (a la Steelers and their DC), but the way this ship is spinning out of control they all need to be gone and we will probably need to burn the grass after the season is done to get the funk out of Reliant and off the returning players.
Naija Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #31
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Why didn't they cook the duck ?

OH and

FIRE
cooked ducks weigh more? Great movie and great scene.
Old 11-12-2013   #32
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted to keep Smith. Not because I think he deserves it, but I think he survives the culling.

If he gets fired as well, though, I want to see them bring in a GM and let him find a coach. I don't want my GM hired by the coach this time around.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #33
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

What I would like to see happen (entire new organization) is opposite of what I think will happen (everyones stays, gets an extension, and a puppy for Xmas).
Old 11-12-2013   #34
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

After some soul searching, I chose both. I hate wholesale change, but Smith gets the flak for poor drafts (how can you hit on more UDFA's than 1st-3 rounders? By my count anyways), so Smith needs to go.

Kubiak is too damned loyal to players even to the detriment of the team. He may be a great OC, but a HC needs more objectivity and do what's best for the team not the player. If he'd accept a demotion, I'd consider keeping him.

Wade Phillips needs to go. I've seen more than enough of 10 yard cushions in man coverage. I've seen enough of his lost look on the sideline. Actually, he's about right on schedule for a change. 3 and out is pretty normal for Wade.

Marciano needed to go years ago. 'Nuf said.

I'm not sure what I hope for in the future, other than many Super Bowl wins. I can't get excited about hot college coaches nor do I want another hot NFL coordinator to get the job. IMO, Gruden is a joke, so I guess it's Cowher or nothing. Cowher has always reminded me of a child molester for some reason. Maybe it's my hatred of Pittsburgh, but I've heard others echo the same sentiment.
Old 11-12-2013   #35
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

What goes on at Texans practices?

What does Gary and Rick watch?

All they see are their ego's. If Kubiak and Smith were in Seattle there would be no Russell Wilson.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #36
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
Ahhhhh, I'm starting to feel better already. Welcome to the dark side.

What these poor souls don't realize is that Kubiak is going to waive all of the people wanting him fired & give all his supporters seats on the front rowwwww & the cheerleader of their choice.
Do I get my choice or is it pot luck?

I don't care...I'M IN!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.

Last edited by drs23; 11-12-2013 at 10:45 PM.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #37
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Fire both. Rick cant properly balance a check book
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #38
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Smith has done decent in the draft and FA.

How much influence he has vs Kubiak & Wade I don't know.

I think Kubiak has gone stale and needs to be replaced, my only if to that is if the QB change has freshened things, I'd keep him too.
Old 11-12-2013   #39
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I think Smith has done decent in the draft and FA.

How much influence he has vs Kubiak & Wade I don't know.

I think Kubiak has gone stale and needs to be replaced, my only if to that is if the QB change has freshened things, I'd keep him too.
He should have the most influence. Kubiak and Phillips should have opinions and be able to be over ruled.
Old 11-12-2013   #40
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
All they see are their ego's. If Kubiak and Smith were in Seattle there would be no Russell Wilson.
If they were in Seattle or any other NFL town not named "Houston" they would already be looking for a new job. Kubiak would be so far removed he'd already have been fired from his next job.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read