Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-12-2013   #1
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What I Heard This Morning On the Radio

was around 920 ish, i believe it was 610. The whiny voiced guy said that he dad sources that said peyton to houston was a done deal but that kubiak nixed it because he wanted to be loyal to schaub.

Anyone else ever hear this? Its the first time i ever heard about it. I always heard we werent interested because of the money it would cost.

what could have been.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What I Heard This Morning On the Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator View Post
was around 920 ish, i believe it was 610. The whiny voiced guy said that he dad sources that said peyton to houston was a done deal but that kubiak nixed it because he wanted to be loyal to schaub.

Anyone else ever hear this? Its the first time i ever heard about it. I always heard we werent interested because of the money it would cost.

what could have been.
Wouldn't have worked.
The Texans would have to cut a bunch more players or at least one very good players, probably two.

No money.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #3
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112130 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I remember, we would have had the cap to sign Peyton if we cut 2-3 guys. Not entrenched starters either, but role players.

Kubiak was not interested from the start because he thought Schaub was a better "fit".

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #4
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Wouldn't have worked.
The Texans would have to cut a bunch more players or at least one very good players, probably two.

No money.
yeah i think thats what everyone thought. but how in the world were the broncos able to pull it off. they had just as much talent and presumably salary as we did but were able to do it. they got welker too. i think they could have made it happen if they wanted to.
Old 11-12-2013   #5
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111636 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lance Z explained pretty well how we couldn't have done it. Broncos had much more money to offer than we did.
Old 11-12-2013   #6
thetexanator
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Lance Z explained pretty well how we couldn't have done it. Broncos had much more money to offer than we did.
well then someone on the radio is a gd liar. i trust lances opinion more than i do that other guy. guys an idiot but i thought he had some inside info lol.
Old 11-12-2013   #7
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33473 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Cap reasons aside, there was absolutely no guarentee that Peyton could come back as a starter in the league, let alone a Pro-Bowler again.
Old 11-12-2013   #8
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Peyton to Houston was completely doable if you sacrificed Schaub and did not extend Arian Foster. Foster counted 8m against the cap that year, and Schaub was somewhere around 11m with 1.3m signing bonus before he signed his extension. We could have offered about 16-17m in year 1 to Peyton if that was the plan.

Chris Myers was signed to a contract that counted 4.5m that year, so there was some more room if needed. It was feasible, but there is no way Kubiak would have let someone take away his offensive thunder. I have no doubt about that.
Old 11-12-2013   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeah i think thats what everyone thought. but how in the world were the broncos able to pull it off. they had just as much talent and presumably salary as we did but were able to do it. they got welker too. i think they could have made it happen if they wanted to.
Broncos benefited from the Cutler's trade.
They got a ton of young talents for cheap.
It will be their turn in 2015.
They will probably let Manning go after next year.
Old 11-12-2013   #10
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
Cap reasons aside, there was absolutely no guarentee that Peyton could come back as a starter in the league, let alone a Pro-Bowler again.
These simple risk are the one Texans won't take but they will take the stupid ones like on Ed Reed...
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #11
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93882 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstyle42 View Post
These simple risk are the one Texans won't take but they will take the stupid ones like on Ed Reed...
Probably because Peyton is white and they're racist, right?
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Peyton to Houston was completely doable if you sacrificed Schaub and did not extend Arian Foster. Foster counted 8m against the cap that year, and Schaub was somewhere around 11m with 1.3m signing bonus before he signed his extension. We could have offered about 16-17m in year 1 to Peyton if that was the plan.

Chris Myers was signed to a contract that counted 4.5m that year, so there was some more room if needed. It was feasible, but there is no way Kubiak would have let someone take away his offensive thunder. I have no doubt about that.
How the heck do you not extend Foster?
Old 11-12-2013   #13
thetexanator
All Pro

Quote:
didnt they jump the gun on foster? they had leverage on him, and they decided to play nice if i remember correctly.
Old 11-12-2013   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post

This.

fwiw, John McClain contends to this day that Houston was Manning's first choice because he wanted to play with AJ.

Obvious hindsight being 20/20, but it was never truly an option because of the second thing Dutch mentioned. No way could Kubiak give so much control of his offense to Manning. I have no doubt about that, as well.
Old 11-12-2013   #15
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Probably because Peyton is white and they're racist, right?
With the texans it's more because they make decisions in ways of the past they haven't caught up to the current ways and tricks of the trade. It's deeper than race they have different black guys and white guys in certain positions of rank and authority but as long as the owner and/or Kubiak in this case can have full control and authority over everything they do, say and decision they make. People just have titles. Hard to win that way nobody is being their true self they are just making the man on top happy by doing whatever it takes to keep their job. The guys that speak out against it or simply tell the truth get canned. You see what I'm saying?
Old 11-12-2013   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 120208 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Payton would have gotten released the minute he shook garys signs off and ran his own play
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
didnt they jump the gun on foster? they had leverage on him, and they decided to play nice if i remember correctly.
Don't forget that Foster agreed on a third-year tender minimum in 2011 when he could have take his service elsewhere.

Somebody would have offer him more than that and force the Texans hands if Foster didn't agree to the tender.

Part of the money Foster is receiving with the new contract, IMO, is back pay that was due to him in 2011.
Old 11-12-2013   #18
cstyle42
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Payton would have gotten released the minute he shook garys signs off and ran his own play
Yep bye bye and Case Keenum may not even be qb next year depending on who coaches the team next year we are just at a weird state right now.
Old 11-12-2013   #19
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep. He had another year as an RFA, we could have put a 1st round tender on him for something smallish. Could have franchised him and traded him off too, but that wouldn't have gone over well. Rick Smith said "he would take care of him" if he did well in 2011, so that's why we gave him 5 years 40m. Well, bad things happen when you give lots of money to RBs...

I think you could have sold Foster on the low pay for 1 more year if you told him it was the difference between having Schaub at QB vs Peyton. Any team player should understand the difference between the two. I also have to wonder if Peyton would have taken 15m a year to play here instead of Denver. At the time, Denver looked like a fluke with that win over the Steelers and Tebow at the helm. They had issues, and still do, but putting Peyton up there really vaulted them up the power rankings.
Old 11-12-2013   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would damn near never extend a running back in this league. Tough position to play at a high level for a long period of time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read