Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2013   #41
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK & REPLACEMENT thread II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I have a question. Is it time for Rob Ryan to get a chance to be HC?

I'm not for him or against him. I'm just wondering. Thinking out loud if you will.
No. Just no.
Old 11-13-2013   #42
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
No. Just no.
Hey, I just spent 8 years watching Gary Kubiak coach a football team. I'm not taking too many options off the table at this point. It's all just mental masturbation on our part anyway. Until someone puts a stake in Gary's heart and it's done nothing any of us suggests will come to pass.
Old 11-13-2013   #43
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hey, I just spent 8 years watching Gary Kubiak coach a football team. I'm not taking too many options off the table at this point. It's all just mental masturbation on our part anyway. Until someone puts a stake in Gary's heart and it's done nothing any of us suggests will come to pass.
The whole Ryan family are great DC's but horrible head coaches.
Old 11-13-2013   #44
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
The whole Ryan family are great DC's but horrible head coaches.
Don't think Rex is a bad coach. much better than Kubiak.
Old 11-13-2013   #45
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Don't think Rex is a bad coach. much better than Kubiak.
Please explain. He took over a 9-7 team and has double digit wins once.
Old 11-13-2013   #46
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

You know what though? It's a pretty common misconception. I was about to respond to DX-TEX with something like "Well, lets look at the numbers..." and I went to Pro Football Reference and found that he's pretty much a .500 coach just like his father.

I'd really always assumed he was more successful than that (and that Buddy Ryan had been more successful than that too).

I don't know that it means that Rob (Rob? Rex? I get them confused) Ryan would also be a .500 coach but I guess it does tend to make that seem likely since they're all out of the same coaching tree and a lot alike.
Old 11-13-2013   #47
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Winning percentages are all over the map. Mike Martz is high .624 (better than Cowher) but I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. Wade Phillips has an excellent winning % and most say he isn't a HC. Dungy is .668 and some folks think John Gruden and his .540 out coached him.

As to Rex I subjectively don't like him and don't see the objective measure by which he is better.
Old 11-13-2013   #48
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 5174 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

give me sumlin and i'm not talking about the rockets
Old 11-13-2013   #49
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 10032 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coaching candidates

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
If we're looking at college coaches, I guess I could find some excitement about Sumlin, but I just think it's too early for him.
I should probably point out that Sumlin is older now than Gary was when he became head coach.
Old 11-13-2013   #50
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Default Re: Coaching candidates

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
I should probably point out that Sumlin is older now than Gary was when he became head coach.
I think his point is this is Sumlin's first year in a big time college conference and he has no NFL experience. Kubiak had 21 years of NFL coaching experience including 10 at OC.
Old 11-13-2013   #51
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
give me sumlin and i'm not talking about the rockets
Why do people want a giant douche who quit on his team right before a bowl game?

He's a scumbag and I don't want that piece of crap anywhere near Houston.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Old 11-13-2013   #52
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lol! Gary could have never won with the teams that Rex won with. Rex turned over a lot of the roster when he arrived. He went to two AFC championships with Sanchez, and might make the playoffs this season. Kubiak couldn't dream of making the playoffs with the current Jets team. This is an easy one.

Quote:
I think his point is this is Sumlin's first year in a big time college conference and he has no NFL experience. Kubiak had 21 years of NFL coaching experience including 10 at OC.
And the majority of Texans fans would all take Sumlin despite Kubiak's experience. Kubiak's experience is a poor resume. In many case a lack of a resume is better then a bad one. Not many people are buying into this illusion that Elway needed Gary to win SB's in Denver. He was leading his team to SB games before Kubiak ever started coaching. Elway made Shanahan and Kubiak.
Old 11-13-2013   #53
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
And the majority of Texans fans would all take Sumlin despite Kubiak's experience. Kubiak's experience is a poor resume.
I would love Sumlin as head coach, that said how many times have "the sexy college coach" failed in the NFL?

Pete Carroll has made a comeback, but failed miserably in his first attempt, Al Groh? Not so much! I could go on and on, but to say Kubiak has a poor resume is asinine at best.

Come with a different argument and we'll talk, but again to say he has a "poor resume" is asinine and self-serving at best.

That said, I think the Texans need to move forward from both Smith and Kubiak.

As an aside on a related issue, HOU-TEX there seems to be a dumpster
Old 11-13-2013   #54
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
And the majority of Texans fans would all take Sumlin despite Kubiak's experience. Kubiak's experience is a poor resume. In many case a lack of a resume is better then a bad one. Not many people are buying into this illusion that Elway needed Gary to win SB's in Denver. He was leading his team to SB games before Kubiak ever started coaching. Elway made Shanahan and Kubiak.
NOW, yes. At the time of Kubiak's hiring, his resume was about all you could ask for from a guy who had not been a head coach. It was his time, and someone was going to give hima job. Sucks that it didn't work out, sucks worse that they extended him beyond 2010, but in 2006, it was a good hire.

As for the QB thing, Elway and Young were both obvious greats before Kubiak got ahold of them. But like it or not, both of those QBs had the best years of their career under Kubiak. Then he also made crappy QBs like Plummer and Griese look good. There are plenty of things to knock about Kubiak, but his work with QBs is not one of those things.

Anyway, not saying no way to the notion of Sumlin, but if you give me the 2005 resume of Kubiak and the 2013 resume of Sumlin, Kubiak's wins. Successful pro experience for Kubiak, for starters, and Sumlin's a bit of a job hopper. Just my preference.
Old 11-13-2013   #55
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
As for the QB thing, Elway and Young were both obvious greats before Kubiak got ahold of them. But like it or not, both of those QBs had the best years of their career under Kubiak.
To expand on this a bit. It isn't just an observation of stats. Both those guys have vigorously lauded Kubiak and stated he was key to their best seasons.

Somewhat related note, Young spoke about Kubiak a couple weeks ago and the assertion Kubiak is a conservative play caller. He basically threw Schaub under the bus. He said that is completely wrong and anyone who has been a QB around him knows it is false but he recognizes the traits of each QB and works with what they can do.
Old 11-13-2013   #56
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 52734 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To expand on this a bit. It isn't just an observation of stats. Both those guys have vigorously lauded Kubiak and stated he was key to their best seasons.

Somewhat related note, Young spoke about Kubiak a couple weeks ago and the assertion Kubiak is a conservative play caller. He basically threw Schaub under the bus. He said that is completely wrong and anyone who has been a QB around him knows it is false but he recognizes the traits of each QB and works with what they can do.
It's regrettable that he spent all this time in Houston trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Now he finally gets a real opportunity in Keenum, and he won't be able to take advantage of it.
Old 11-14-2013   #57
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33516 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Just to kinda kill any Art Briles talk: Art Briles Agrees to 10 Year Extension
I'm sure it can be broken but I get the feeling he really doesn't want to move away from Baylor. He's 58 in case anyone was curious.
Old 11-14-2013   #58
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 11061 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd take a look at Jack Del Rio. He seems to have regained his "swagger" so to speak.
Old 11-14-2013   #59
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntexans1985 View Post
I'd take a look at Jack Del Rio. He seems to have regained his "swagger" so to speak.
I've always thought Del Rio was a turd.
Old 11-14-2013   #60
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 33404 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've always thought Del Rio was a turd.
agreed, no thanks to del rio or the ryan brothers

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read