Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-11-2013   #61
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116054 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If you were JJ Watt, would you stay?

Watt laughs everyday when he drive his new Ford F150 (the official truck of the Houston Texans and JJ Watt) past Reliant on his way to HEB with his nmom to get some ice cream before he goes back home to set his roster for his Yahoo fantasy team
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #62
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWin View Post
It must be so frustrating for him to single handedly carry this defense and make big play after big play after big play only to lose 7 straight games. Watch our secondary make bonehaded plays & mistakes every week. Watch our offense not make the big play when it's needed.

He's gonna go to a contender right? No way he stays in Houston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
As soon as he's a free agent, he'll be gone. It's plain to see JJ cares about winning. He won't stay with a franchise that has no chance to succeed.
Complete crap.. I remember people starting a similar thread about Andre Johnson way back when... and he stayed, because he never sniffed free agency. This isn't the NBA where money is guaranteed and players form coalitions with other STs to win a championship, this is the NFL.. Where lives can change and careers can end on any given snap so a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush (reason why Watt won't even reach free agency).. because nothing is guaranteed.

J.J. Watt isn't going anywhere and the first player who tells you he cares more about winning over getting paid is a damn liar (hello Mario). Yeah players care about winning, you know what they care more about?.. getting paid. If J.J. Watt does leave it'd be because the Texans didn't pony up the cash to keep him.. nothing else. And lets not forget.. THIS WILL BE THE FIRST TIME IN WATT'S CAREER THAT HE DOESN'T SEE THE POSTSEASON. So can we please stop acting like he's played for a perennial loser and is looking for the first train out of dodge.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #63
Gotta Know
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Gotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
J.J. Watt isn't going anywhere and the first player who tells you he cares more about winning over getting paid is a damn liar [(hello Mario). Yeah players care about winning, you know what they care more about?.. getting paid. If J.J. Watt does leave it'd be because the Texans didn't pony up the cash to keep him.. nothing else. And lets not forget.. THIS WILL BE THE FIRST TIME IN WATT'S CAREER THAT HE DOESN'T SEE THE POSTSEASON. So can we please stop acting like he's played for a perennial loser and is looking for the first train out of dodge.
You obviously don't know JJ.

He walked away from a scholarship to pursue his dreams. Money isn't his driving force. He's already proven he'll risk financial loss to work toward an end.

You used Mario as an example. Can you not tell the difference in response to losses between them?

I'm not saying he's going to leave but team potential will most certainly play a more important role than money.

Regardless where he goes he'll be set for life so why not work for an organization he feels good about and gives him the chance to attain his goals.
Gotta Know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #64
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 56179 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

nope. id pack my bags and leave.....on a jet plane...........dont know when ill be back again
Old 11-11-2013   #65
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Know View Post

He walked away from a scholarship to pursue his dreams. Money isn't his driving force. He's already proven he'll risk financial loss to work toward an end.

You used Mario as an example. Can you not tell the difference in response to losses between them?

I'm not saying he's going to leave but team potential will most certainly play a more important role than money.

Regardless where he goes he'll be set for life so why not work for an organization he feels good about and gives him the chance to attain his goals.
No.. he walked away from a scholarship to walk on and pursue his dream to play for Wisconsin, which illustrates nothing on how he feels about signing a lucrative contract. Scholarships don't pay MILLIONS OF DOLLARS (this isn't college, it's the NFL, a business), so I really don't understand your "walked away from a scholarship" argument. CMU was coming off a 9-4 season when J.J walked away, so how in the hell did he walk away to join a "winner", he was already on a "winner". He walked away to join a div 1 program, nothing else, nothing less... Wake me up when he turns away the Texans and the blank check they're going to offer him... I'll save you the time, it isn't going to happen.

The "I care about winning over getting paid" is the biggest lie in sports. They all care about money.. then winning. Yes some will shave a few bucks to join a better team, but that's all it ever is.. a "few bucks". If the Texans want to keep Watt they'll keep him, all they have to do is reach into their ass pocket and pull out their checkbook.

Money aside.. for Christ's sake (hide the women and children *gasp*).. the guy is about to experience just his first season of non playoff football.. Good lord. Some of y'all need a prescription of Prozac.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 11-11-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-11-2013   #66
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 27534 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected
Unhappy Re: If you were JJ Watt, would you stay?

Passion trumps Loyalty every time.

His passion to compete and win fumes through his nostril every Sunday. Eventually Watt will realize he's not in a winning environment and will look to open other doors. If he does that I won't be mad but wish him good luck. His talents is too great to be wasted in a place like Houston. Sorry, sad but true.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #67
Gotta Know
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Gotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respected

Car Bombed,

I don't know why you think you know JJ better than I do.

Trust me, You Don't.

If it makes you feel better, go ahead and believe the Texans have a monopoly on his services based on money alone.

Anyone who knows JJ knows how wrong you are.
Gotta Know is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-12-2013   #68
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82097 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Car Bombed,

Trust me, You Don't.

If it makes you feel better, go ahead and believe the Texans have a monopoly on his services based on money alone.

JJ is that you?
Old 11-12-2013   #69
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post

His passion to compete and win fumes through his nostril every Sunday. Eventually Watt will realize he's not in a winning environment and will look to open other doors. If he does that I won't be mad but wish him good luck. His talents is too great to be wasted in a place like Houston. Sorry, sad but true.
Envirements change when regimes change.. and change is coming. There plenty of time to become a winner before Watt comes close to FA
Old 11-12-2013   #70
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Car Bombed,

Trust me, You Don't.

Well see.. feel free to bump this thread when he turns down the brinks truck the Texans are going to back up to his door step. He's going to be the highest paid defensive player in the league.
Old 11-12-2013   #71
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

If I was JJ would I stay? Yes, I would.

Reasons are rather simple. As frustrated as we are as fans this organization actually does or is trying to win. They aren't just sitting idly on their hands like the Bengals of yester years use to do with Mike Brown at the helm. They made pursuits in free agency, they made pursuits in coach hirings (Phillips at least) and they draft pretty solid for the most part. It's one thing to be on a team that is all about collecting revenue. It's another to be on one that is trying to make the moves to win but has miscalculated. Question will be what will they do to adjust their approach.

Secondly, most contenders wouldn't be able to afford him without drastic changes on their roster. How many contenders are usually sitting there with a hefty amount of cap space? Not very many at all. It is generally bottom feeders that have the cap space so there is no guarantee a contender would be there waiting for him. Just not highly likely unless he took considerably less than his value. At his age I don't see that overly likely. That's something you do later down the line.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #72
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Nice. Watt will be highest paid defensive player regardless of where he suits up. Real question is realistically speaking how long does this rebuild take? I'm sure his contract will be full of clauses and "outs" should this take too long.
Old 11-12-2013   #73
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post

Yep.

All of the "but he loves the city!" talk is sheer nonsense, and juvenile. I can't believe some of the things I'm hearing in this thread.

This will come down to money and winning. He wants both. If we can get paid somewhere else - which he will - AND go to a winning team, it's a wrap.

Now, my opinion is based on us keeping Kubiak. If we bring in a new coaching staff, all bets are off and I think he stays.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #74
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of y'all do not seem to comprehend the business side of things.

JJ cannot just decide he's going to leave the Texans and walk away.

He's under contract through 2014. And the franchise has the option to tag him for a couple of seasons after that.

Do not be surprised when they announce a huge contract with him before the start of the 2014 season. The Texans do not like the franchise tag, and they will certainly try to get him a new contract before it becomes an issue.
Old 11-12-2013   #75
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Some of y'all do not seem to comprehend the business side of things.

JJ cannot just decide he's going to leave the Texans and walk away.

He's under contract through 2014. And the franchise has the option to tag him for a couple of seasons after that.

Do not be surprised when they announce a huge contract with him before the start of the 2014 season. The Texans do not like the franchise tag, and they will certainly try to get him a new contract before it becomes an issue.
Kinda off topic but

Doesn't the entire franchise number count against the cap? That's serious jack!
Old 11-12-2013   #76
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Kinda off topic but

Yes it does, and it's fully guaranteed the second the tender is signed.

We're not talking about the franchise tag until 2016 (The Texans have a unilateral option for the 2015 season at what will be an extremely reasonable amount), and while I'm sure the Texans will try to avoid it, at some point guaranteed salary is guaranteed salary, and you're going to have to recognize it. Kicking the can down the road is a two edged sword anyway.

To give it a little perspective, the franchise tag amount for DE's in 2013 was $11,175,000. Jonathan Joseph actually counts a little more than that against the 2013 cap, and next year Joseph, Schaub, and Johnson are "scheduled" for more than that much. Ignoring AJ for the moment, even at their peak of productivity, neither Joseph or Schaub was close to as valuable as JJ should be when the time comes. As I said before, I'm sure it's not their first choice, but if the options are A.) JJ gets franchised or B.) JJ hits the open market, I'm confident you will see the tag used regardless of the cap situation at that point in time.
Old 11-12-2013   #77
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Kinda off topic but

Good point. Even more incentive for the franchise to get him signed before it comes to such drastic measures.

Obviously, if JJ just does not want to be here, he can refuse any/all contracts offered to him by the Texans and wait them out. If he truly wants to be somewhere else, the risk of injury for one year deals is something he's going to have to chance.

But, since none of us really knows what's in the man's head and heart, we have to look at history to see how the franchise might handle it.
Old 11-12-2013   #78
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126616 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

YUP! BE that guy who puts a defense on the map. How many DCs did Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, Michael Strahan, Howie Long & Mike Singletary go through as players and how many losing seasons did each endure? He should stay here and build something.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #79
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

If I was JJ Watt I would crush this thread!
Old 11-12-2013   #80
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans aren't rebuilding. They're retooling. Retooling is different than rebuilding. Retooling is what successful teams do. If they have a down year, they work to fix problems instead of constantly tearing things down like perpetual losers Buffalo, Cleveland, Oakland, etc.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read