Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-10-2013   #21
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
There was a leak in Dec 2010 that Kubiak was gone too and it never happened.
At that time the head coach was not coming off of a mini stroke, and there was no criticism of the interim head coach's defensive methods.
Old 11-10-2013   #22
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans FO frustrated with Kubiak?

Interesting timing, to say the least. There is plenty of blame to go around the entire franchise but I just don't see them letting Kubes go unless it is for purely health reasons...
Old 11-10-2013   #23
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
I have zero real problems with Rick Smith. That guy has done an amazing job over the years. Of course some moves have panned out and others haven't. This is real life.
What exactly is Rick's job?

He's part of the problem, not as much as Gary, but still part of the problem.

The only time Rick has run a draft and went to the combine on his own was the 2010 draft. (Gary decided to skip the combine for an elective surgery. Sleep apnea) The KJ draft, it was a disaster. This is why I've got little faith in Rick's ability to find and procure talent.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #24
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33797 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

I blame Rick Smith. Shelling out big bucks to extend Matt Schaub, Arian Foster and even Brian Cushing, when he didn't have to. We should have waited until the off-season. If any of them leave then so be it. We've lost good players in free agency before like Mario Williams. Now we have to restructure all of those contracts next off-season. We may release Matt Schaub after June 1.
Old 11-10-2013   #25
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
On my phone so can't paste the link but there's a slightly fuller article on nfl.com which says the frustration is at a lack of in-game rotation, on the dline in particular leading to them being gassed late in games. Teams are beating us on 4th quarter comebacks consistently so it's hard to disagree. Then again how good is the talent behind the starters??
I told everyone last year, having a smallish NT and no depth on the DL was going to hurt us. But most everyone wanted that elusive #2 WR.

Still having said that I like our options going forward. The early rounds of this coming draft is going to present is with some very interesting choices.
Old 11-10-2013   #26
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
I blame Rick Smith. Shelling out big bucks to extend Matt Schaub, Arian Foster and even Brian Cushing, when he didn't have to. We should have waited until the off-season. If any of them leave then so be it. We've lost good players in free agency before like Mario Williams. Now we have to restructure all of those contracts next off-season. We may release Matt Schaub after June 1.
^^^^
This

And I dont think Rick is all of that good at drafting outside the 1st rd. That's why the Texans are so lacking in depth.

If Rick gets credit for UDFA Foster, does he get credit for UDFA Keenum?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #27
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
The interesting part of Rapoport's report is that he said the Texans' front office is "a bit frustrated" with Kubiak and the rest of his coaching staff.

The frustration stems from coaches having too much draft input...
Well the "front office" is Rick Smith, so this tells me the owner has somehow told Smith to follow the coaches draft wishes. Which makes a little bit of sense to me in light of the character & injury challenged draft picks that are uncharacteristic of past drafts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
...keeping stars on the field too long. Rapoport elaborated on the last point saying that the front office believes the lack of a defensive-line rotation leads to wearing down late in games.
This smells to be as much about Arian Foster's 400+ carries last year as it does about defensive rotation. Both are valid points, imo.

Everybody and their dog said we'd be paying the price for running Foster into the ground.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-10-2013   #28
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
^^^^
This

And I dont think Rick is all of that good at drafting outside the 1st rd. That's why the Texans are so lacking in depth.

If Rick gets credit for UDFA Foster, does he get credit for UDFA Keenum?
I remember reading an article where Foster described the UDFA process. He only signed with the Texans because they offered a 2 year contract. It's not like we thought much of him really. I don't doubt Keenum is in the same boat. We look at these guys as JAGs. If they play well, they stay on the PS or if they're lucky on the active roster.

I don't think much thought really goes into it other than we need X running backs, and we need Y LBs and they sign em up.
hradhak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #29
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard the other day where 20% of the players in the league are UDFA so more than people want to admit teams actually find players this way.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Interesting time for this to be published, especially with an organization that rarely has leaks.

Change is coming.
It is interesting... I don't know what to make of it.

Kubiak is the F.O. He can't be frustrated with himself, & even if he were, he's the guy to fix it.
Old 11-10-2013   #31
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

This seems a lot like the rumors that came out in 2010. The FO is frustrated with Kubes, but the front office is Rick Smith and Gary hired him. Does this make any sense at all ?

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #32
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Interesting time for this to be published, especially with an organization that rarely has leaks.

Change is coming.
That's exactly what I thought. For this organization this is how something like this begins. The only leaks the Texans ever have are intentional, planned leaks. I almost feel like I did the week Chris Palmer got sent packing. It's like the frustration is finally getting to the guys who make decisions.
Old 11-10-2013   #33
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I heard the other day where 20% of the players in the league are UDFA so more than people want to admit teams actually find players this way.
Teams get 7 draft picks a year. with no misses and all re-signs it would take 8 years to fill out the 53 man roster. Pure numbers dictate that low priority positions and depth have to come from somewhere. The true wins in UDFA are getting starters or superstar from the large of junk that is mostly there.

foster is a huge win for the Texans and if he maintains anything close to what he is doing Keenum can be another.
Old 11-10-2013   #34
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

We need some leaks about Joe Marciano, man.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #35
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow ... they are also tired of Cabbage patch dolls , Beanie Babies and hula hoops .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #36
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16278 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope this is true because I hate the way this team is coached. I will still watch them but I'll never be truly excited until Gary is gone.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #37
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
I hope this is true because I hate the way this team is coached. I will still watch them but I'll never be truly excited until Gary is gone.
You won't be truly excited by a superbowl win with Gary at the helm?

We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #38
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

meh.....whatever. I'll believe change when I see it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #39
PockyAF
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3090 PockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respectedPockyAF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There was a leak in Dec 2010 that Kubiak was gone too and it never happened.
Do you remember who reported that?
PockyAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #40
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I agree with this. The Texans run a 3-4, but have never drafted an impact nose tackle. They are extremely weak at LB for a team that puts an extra one ont he field at any given time. They are weak on OL for a team that is supposedly more run oriented than most others in the NFL. Whatever you think about the talent they let go, it's evident they didn't have a sufficient plan to replace that talent. If you draft guys that work out, you either have to keep them or plan for their replacement. The Texans FO has done a crappy job of that, IMO.

As for the cap ... well, I'll just say that Ed Reed makes about the same as Quin this year, so yeah, that cap number looks great. LOL
This what I am talking about, fans making claims without giving entire picture. Reed's
2014 cap hit is $3.2 m BUT he can be cut after 2013 season with only $1.3 m dead money opening up about $4 m in cap savings. He was a risk but a relatively cheap one.

Quin 2014 base is only $1 million BECAUSE he also got a signing bonus of $5.25 m giving him $6.25 in his pocket; cap just over $2 million. 2014 & 2015 his cap hit jumps to $5 m but has $6.25 m dead money if cut after 2013 and $4.2 m dead money after 2014.

Quin had 85 T 2010 77 T 2011 and 84 T in 2012 as a Texan.

In 2013 with Detroit Quin has 28 tackles in 8 games that project to 56, his worst ever season. He does have 2 INTs. Reed in two less games has 16 tackles. No I am not pleased with Reed but Quin does not thrill me either.

I was not a Posey fan but fair to say if he had not been injured, we probably would not have drafted Hopkins. We now have seemingly a very good group of receivers. I too want a big Nose and a ILB and have mocked them. However with the other needs, Texans have gone at those needs rather than what you and I want. Team did this with Oline using a 7th on Newton and this addresses your first comment about OL. Texans are not just a run team and the players selected have to play well in this ZBS. Those guys are usually not first rounders. Where would we be if Newton, Brennan Williams and Q had not been injured? Just part of the game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read