Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-04-2013   #1
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default First Mock2014

Alright , after last nights game against the Dolts , I'm sold on Keenum at least for the duration of this season. With that in mind , I'm taking QB off the top of the list (for now).

1) FSU OT Cameron Erving - Big , Fast , Nasty. Clemson's Vic Beasley was shut down by Erving. Beasley came into the game leading the nation in sacks.
Erving has the foot speed to block at the second level. Good fit for this scheme. (Im assuming Matthews and Lewan are gone)

2) FSU ILB Christian Jones. - He may go earlier but most sources have him rated as a second round selection now. Cushing needs some help inside. Jones is a dynamic ILB. If he's gone Tennessee's AJ Johnson and UConn's Yawin Smallwood are in the conversation.

3) Washington NT Danny Shelton 6'1" 330 .... finally a tree stump in the middle that can get some push.

4) North Carolina FS Tre Boston - Ed Reed is stealing right now , he wont be back. Depth on the back end will be important.

5) Georgia TE Arthur Lynch - OD costs too much. Lynch is a strong blocker and reliable pass catcher.

6) Notre Dame CB Bennett Jackson - You can never have enough corners.

7) West Texas A&M DE/OLB Ethan Westbrooks - Classic tweener pass rush project.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #2
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: First Mock2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Alright , after last nights game against the Dolts , I'm sold on Keenum at least for the duration of this season. With that in mind , I'm taking QB off the top of the list (for now).

1) FSU OT Cameron Erving - Big , Fast , Nasty. Clemson's Vic Beasley was shut down by Erving. Beasley came into the game leading the nation in sacks.
Erving has the foot speed to block at the second level. Good fit for this scheme. (Im assuming Matthews and Lewan are gone)

2) FSU ILB Christian Jones. - He may go earlier but most sources have him rated as a second round selection now. Cushing needs some help inside. Jones is a dynamic ILB. If he's gone Tennessee's AJ Johnson and UConn's Yawin Smallwood are in the conversation.

3) Washington NT Danny Shelton 6'1" 330 .... finally a tree stump in the middle that can get some push.

4) North Carolina FS Tre Boston - Ed Reed is stealing right now , he wont be back. Depth on the back end will be important.

5) Georgia TE Arthur Lynch - OD costs too much. Lynch is a strong blocker and reliable pass catcher.

I like it. Jones in the second would be a steal, but I don't think he'll be there.

Don't know much about Shelton but like the position addressed. Can he demand double teams to allow Watt and whoever our other DE is to get ne on one more?

I like Boston and Lynch. They would be solid later round talent.

Do not know the other two, but the positions addressed seem good.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

What happened to Smallwood against University of Central Florida with only 2 assists for tackles?

http://articles.courant.com/2013-11-...ard-linebacker

Last edited by badboy; 11-04-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: link did not post at first.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What happened to Smallwood against University of Central Florida with only 2 assists for tackles?

http://articles.courant.com/2013-11-...ard-linebacker
Good question , but he's pretty far down my list ....

If you don't get one of Jones or Johnson in the second and aren't comfortable with Smallwood you can always wait a round and go after one of Shayne Skov or Andrew Jackson in the third.

Old 11-04-2013   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good question , but he's pretty far down my list ....

If you don't get one of Jones or Johnson in the second and aren't comfortable with Smallwood you can always wait a round and go after one of Shayne Skov or Andrew Jackson in the third.
Have not been able to watch him play just research articles. He is solid tackler that can hit and cover; Skov is recovering nicely and is extremely smart and Jackson is my boy but more inside box for both. Probably stick with Smallwood for now.

He is not mailing it in on a winless team.
Old 11-04-2013   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think corner is a much higher priority than ilb. Joseph and McCain suck and don't even make many plays anymore. I think mays has been ok and I'd bring him back next year. I'd keep sharpton as depth as well. I'd look to add a good vet via fa.

I started a thread a while ago, but I'd personally move Cush outside and let brooks reed go or trade him or whatever.

But I think we need another really good corner. I think solid safeties can be had, but our corners/DB's as a whole are right up there with the worst part of the defense because of the money tied up into them and the production.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think corner is a much higher priority than ilb. Joseph and McCain suck and don't even make many plays anymore. I think mays has been ok and I'd bring him back next year. I'd keep sharpton as depth as well. I'd look to add a good vet via fa.

I started a thread a while ago, but I'd personally move Cush outside and let brooks reed go or trade him or whatever.

But I think we need another really good corner. I think solid safeties can be had, but our corners/DB's as a whole are right up there with the worst part of the defense because of the money tied up into them and the production.
I'd like to replace JJo too .... but damn there are just so many holes on this team you cant fill them all in one draft.

I'd cut the following - JJo , OD , Schaub and Manning.

Might try and resign Ninja .... to avoid another hole to fill.

Some of these holes you try to fill via FA - where are you likely to get a better CB , the draft or FA ? I don't think this draft is all that deep at corner. Probably better off in FA.

This is all assuming Keenum is the long term answer at QB .... either way , I think you are looking at 2015 before you are a real contender again because of all the dead money and young players with a steep learning curve.

Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2013   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Like your mock draft.

The only thing I would do differently be draft Carrethers in the 2nd and Skov in the 3rd. BB turned me onto Carrethers, the former wrestling champ looks like he was made to play NT.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd like to see some Bouye to find out what he's got.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Like your mock draft.

The only thing I would do differently be draft Carrethers in the 2nd and Skov in the 3rd. BB turned me onto Carrethers, the former wrestling champ looks like he was made to play NT.
I couldn't complain about that , almost went with both of them. As long as I get Cameron Erving with the #1 and hit NT/ILB with the next two picks I think its a strong draft.

Old 11-04-2013   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Like your mock draft.

FYI, Carrethers had another 9 tackles against South Alabama new total 63 with 3.5 sacks. How about placing him next to Tuitt replacing Ninja? Stephon Tuitt is recovering nicely from 2012 groin injury 6'7 322 (but should reduce to about 312). His 2013 stats in 8 games 29 tackles 5 sacks 9 hurries. DE and DT
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...l-draft/page/7

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/10/24/584...be-in-the.html
Old 11-04-2013   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
FYI, Carrethers had another 9 tackles against South Alabama new total 63 with 3.5 sacks. How about placing him next to Tuitt replacing Ninja? Stephon Tuitt is recovering nicely from 2012 groin injury 6'7 322 (but should reduce to about 312). His 2013 stats in 8 games 29 tackles 5 sacks 9 hurries. DE and DT
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...l-draft/page/7

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/10/24/584...be-in-the.html
I just cant see replacing two DL in one draft when there are so many other holes .... Try to resign Ninja for a reasonable deal and fix some of the other issues , Ninja hasn't been part of the problem.

Old 11-04-2013   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:

I like the draft and agree with the needs . Here's the BUT , I want the Texans to drop the ZBS and on defense , go back to a 4-3 . Your draft would still work because I would put Cushing at OLB , we need a RT , S , CB , and a big TE .
Old 11-04-2013   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just cant see replacing two DL in one draft when there are so many other holes .... Try to resign Ninja for a reasonable deal and fix some of the other issues , Ninja hasn't been part of the problem.
The Panthers were in the same situation as the Texans are last yr. They drafted Star and Short with their first 2 picks and look at the improvement this yr on defense.

I do agree with you and really like Erving alot though.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #15
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Panthers were in the same situation as the Texans are last yr. They drafted Star and Short with their first 2 picks and look at the improvement this yr on defense.

I do agree with you and really like Erving alot though.
It's all up in the air because the way the seasons going , it will be someone else's choice and what scheme they run .
Old 11-04-2013   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
It's all up in the air because the way the seasons going , it will be someone else's choice and what scheme they run .
I don't know about that .... Kubiak & Co may well be back given the circumstances. Pending his health of course.

Despite the record:

The defense is #1 in the league , however misleading that stat may be.

The offense is top ~7 with a UDFA QB starting two games and a guy they expected to perform reasonably well falling apart at the seams.

Old 11-04-2013   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
I don't know about that .... Kubiak & Co may well be back given the circumstances. Pending his health of course.

Despite the record:

The defense is #1 in the league , however misleading that stat may be.

The offense is top ~7 with a UDFA QB starting two games and a guy they expected to perform reasonably well falling apart at the seams.
The three damning stats are ,

1. 2-6 record
2. 146 points scored
3. 221 points allowed

I wouldn't be surprised by anything Bob would do or not do .
Old 11-04-2013   #18
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Based 32 yr olds Freeney and Redding signed for $4 million a yr plus last year expect that for Ninja and that will leave you approx $3-$4 mil to sign the other 14 contracts needed to fill out the roster. If you also re-sign Mitchell you're about out of money and still have to sign 13 players. And people say the Texans don't have salary cap problems.
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'd like to see some Bouye to find out what he's got.
Me too. Was super dissapointed when he went down.
Old 11-04-2013   #20
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I'm still evaluating keenum and right now he's earned the right to compete for the job next year. I'm not taking a qb high off the list. Plus, after 4 games,we will see dc's start to force him to his left and start making him throw the ball from the pocket. We know if kubes is fired,the new guy is gonna want his own guy.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read