Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

LonerATO's Mid-Season Mock

LonerATO

All Pro
I have wanted to put one of these together for a while now but just didn’t have the time.

I am basing this mock based upon how the season has turned out so far and I also want to layout a few things that I thought about when putting this mock together.

A. Kubiak is more than likely not going to be fired and will probably have one more year to turn it around.

B. Keenum's continues to impress and Kubiak opts to go with a veteran to compete with Keenum instead of using a draft pick, but will also sign a rookie FA.

C. Texans will be drafting close to top 10 at the end of the season and as much as I would like them to draft a top rated player, I would rather they trade back for more picks.

1st — Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama, OT, 6-5 310
He quick off the snap, great at run blocking and uses his athleticism in pass protection. Cyrus could take over for Newton on day one, thus giving the Texans two studs at the Tackle position.

2nd — Christian Jones, Florida State, OLB/ILB 6-3 232
Jones has great run-stopping ability and can also defend the pass. Though he can rush off the edge, he is really is more of an ILB.

3rd — Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas, OLB/DE, 6-4 250
We all know the bloodlines though he is still pretty raw. Jackson has 32 tackles, five sacks, seven tackles for a loss and an interception for the season.

4th — Jaylen Watkins, Florida, CB/S, 6-0 188
He has good closing ability and can hit. Watkins put pressure on Joseph or be the starter across from Swearinger and would be a better option than McCain on 3rd downs.

5th — Bruce Gaston, Purdue, NT, 6-2 310
Gaston could put on a little more weight, but well know that Wade likes to have use “lighter NT’s” in his 3-4. Gaston is still 10 pounds heavier than Mitchell and could play the run as well as the pass.

6th — Tevin Reese, Baylor, WR/KR, 5-10 170
Good and hands and even better speed after the catch. Reese has had more dropped balls this year, but is a better option than Martin.

7th — Jay Bromley, Syracuse, DE/DT, 6-4 285
Holds up well against the run and would be the replacement for Antonio Smith.

Now I know many of you guys have been clamoring for a TE really early and I to would love to see a 6-4 —6-6 TE on this team, but I just don’t see that happening. How many years did it take Smith/Kubiak to spend a high round pick on a freaking #2 receiver? I actually feel as though the Texans could get that kind of TE, but he would come with some character issues and would need to be watched by the team. I believe that the Texans could either use a late round pick or sign him as a FA and that player is none other than former Oregon Duck TE Colt Lyerla.

This Article on NFL.com will give you more insight about Colt and his resent issues, but keep this in mind, Vontaze Burfict was once considered a late 1st to early 2nd round talent, but he had terrible character issues and is now a key piece in Cincinnati’s defense. Using a late round pick on Colt would not be a waste in my mind if he didn’t work out and it’s not like you are dropping a 3rd on a certain player.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...on-te-colt-lyerla-poses-dilemma-for-nfl-teams

One more thing I would like to add, I think the Texans should honestly look really hard at possibly acquiring Jonathan Martin from the Dolphins. Everyone knows that he is not going to go back there and play with that team and I think the Texans could trade the Dolphins their 3rd or 4th round pick to them for him. I'm sure many of you don't like the idea of having him on the team but it just seems like the guy really needed to be in a veteran locker room and not surrounded by jackasses. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts go after him as he was Luck's protector on his blindside.

Last edited:
Nice work LonerATO!

I agree with you on Kubiak. One more year, if it doesn't work out then housekeeping is in order.

Keenum could nullify need to take QB high but who will be the backup what if Case gets hammered?

OT is a real possibility. However look how much better the OL played with a mobile QB.

ILB a must. He's a good one too!

All rest fill needs. Not sure about Martin if Texans use a first on OT. However if they go DL I would have no problem bringing him here :polevault:

OT is a real possibility. However look how much better the OL played with a mobile QB.

I don't think the Oline was any better. Keenum was pressured he just avoided sacks. Think about him with a solid Oline and his mobility. Plus the run blocking needs to improve.

Last edited:
A. Kubiak is more than likely not going to be fired and will probably have one more year to turn it around.

The biggest problem I have with this is McNair passes on head coaches that could be the best possible hire in the next 3-5 years. Passing on Jim Harbaugh is one example. IMHO McNair needs to go all in on David Shaw with a backup plan for Jimbo Fisher.

The biggest problem I have with this is McNair passes on head coaches that could be the best possible hire in the next 3-5 years. Passing on Jim Harbaugh is one example. IMHO McNair needs to go all in on David Shaw with a backup plan for Jimbo Fisher.

If McNair was to fire Kubiak, I would be all for bringing in David Shaw.

Nice work LonerATO!

I agree with you on Kubiak. One more year, if it doesn't work out then housekeeping is in order.

Keenum could nullify need to take QB high but who will be the backup what if Case gets hammered?

ILB a must. He's a good one too!

All rest fill needs. Not sure about Martin if Texans use a first on OT. However if they go DL I would have no problem bringing him here :polevault:

I think they might bring Orlovsky back, but that is only because he has been in the system or they could keep Yates on the roster and then sign a UD Rookie.

I would rather go DL/LB with the first pick, but with the injuries to Williams and Quessenberry I felt that a high draft pick on the OLine would be the better option.

Are you guys dumping Yates? Despite his last outing which was poor, I'd probably rather him in 2014 + a project QB in late round or UDFA than signing a vet FA.

Are you guys dumping Yates? Despite his last outing which was poor, I'd probably rather him in 2014 + a project QB in late round or UDFA than signing a vet FA.

First & foremost are we in agreement Texans need to trade or outright release Schaub? whichever he is not on the Texans roster next season.

Second I would prefer someone to challenge Case. Not a backup to the backup. Why not catch lightening in a bottle twice but blow it out of the water with a bigger more athletic version who just needs development?

My thing was Texans should have tried to trade TJ early in season while he had some trade value & elevate Case with Matt as his backup (essentially what we have now).

First & foremost are we in agreement Texans need to trade or outright release Schaub? whichever he is not on the Texans roster next season.

Second I would prefer someone to challenge Case. Not a backup to the backup. Why not catch lightening in a bottle twice but blow it out of the water with a bigger more athletic version who just needs development?

My thing was Texans should have tried to trade TJ early in season while he had some trade value & elevate Case with Matt as his backup (essentially what we have now).

IMO, this QB class is similar to last year WR class.
No sure-fire top end, but deep.

Look at Kenny Stills, for example.
There could be a guy that falls through the crack like Wilson or Cousins.
Guys will call because there are not that many teams looking for a starting QB.

Or we can go even lower, but also find another FA veteran on the cheap, while putting the lower round or UDFA QB through Keenum's experience, on the PS.

I don't think the Oline was any better. Keenum was pressured he just avoided sacks. Think about him with a solid Oline and his mobility. Plus the run blocking needs to improve.

He just avoided sacks = extending plays - pulling in defenders to close gaps & opening windows for WR's especially deep routes. either way a win for the OL.

Run blocking can always improve. Foster is out. Tate is like an old lady crossing the street with broken ribs & best option is Dennis Johnson an undrafted free agent signed off the practice squad two weeks ago. I find it hard to blame it all on the OL when it comes to current state of RB efficiency affairs with Texans...

I saw a lot better edge protection, Brown & Newton both sealed off much better as well as run blocking. The interior is where they had problems. Mostly Wade Smith I believe, although I hate to single anyone out as they play as a unit. I'm sure Quessenberry would be the starting & future LG for the Texans if he was healthy. Next season. Newton feet looked a lot more active the problem he has is that his arms are shorter than ideal, all things being equal/healthy, about the same as Winstons I believe? He should probably be a backup & not a starter which is why they drafted Brennan Williams. He is your prototypical RT, big body, good arm length & movement skills. What sucks for Texans & whoever has played QB were the injurys to these talented players expected to step in early & contribute, which they have not.

Unless the best player available is an OT I doubt Texans will spend a first round pick on this position. I know I wouldn't & I'm a big fan of drafting OL early!

I like the first three picks of this draft a lot. I haven't seen a ton of Jeffcoat but if I remember correctly, he was the #1 overall recruit the year he came out of high school. I also like Watkins from Florida. I don't know the other players.

Schaub who? Yeah he should be gone hopefully we gets a draft pick but has to go. Maybe some QB coach guru will think he can turn him around.

IMO, Case does not need another player to push him. He knows no other way but 100%. He has had to fight against obstacles his entire career. He and Yates will be playing for contracts in 2014. Also, TJ has 2 years in system which would give him a nudge over a draft pick.

Almost agree with lightning in bottle but we need too much to use a pick on QB or WR (Evans was who I was looking at). I moved McCarron off my mock and replaced with Pittsburgh's Harris in 7th who is looking good against Notre Dame tonight.

Yeah we should have tried to trade Yates especially if Keenum was Kubiak's QB of future as I thought. Don't understand that unless no one interested.

He just avoided sacks = extending plays - pulling in defenders to close gaps & opening windows for WR's especially deep routes. either way a win for the OL.

Run blocking can always improve. Foster is out. Tate is like an old lady crossing the street with broken ribs & best option is Dennis Johnson an undrafted free agent signed off the practice squad two weeks ago. I find it hard to blame it all on the OL when it comes to current state of RB efficiency affairs with Texans...

I saw a lot better edge protection, Brown & Newton both sealed off much better as well as run blocking. The interior is where they had problems. Mostly Wade Smith I believe, although I hate to single anyone out as they play as a unit. I'm sure Quessenberry would be the starting & future LG for the Texans if he was healthy. Next season. Newton feet looked a lot more active the problem he has is that his arms are shorter than ideal, all things being equal/healthy, about the same as Winstons I believe? He should probably be a backup & not a starter which is why they drafted Brennan Williams. He is your prototypical RT, big body, good arm length & movement skills. What sucks for Texans & whoever has played QB were the injurys to these talented players expected to step in early & contribute, which they have not.

Unless the best player available is an OT I doubt Texans will spend a first round pick on this position. I know I wouldn't & I'm a big fan of drafting OL early!
Very good post and points, and what I saw on Oline also. Newton's arms 33 1/8 @ combine and Winston said his were 34 @ 2006 combine. Williams was 34" but his knee surgery was not same knee he has issues with per Roto. Both Q and Brennan have a year before Game 1.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8521/brennan-williams

Brennan can be the swing tackle; Quizz can play LG.
Agreed IF healthy & that is issue as draft is 4 months before we know if either are. So do we gamble or take another lower round chance on a RT like JaWuan James Tennessee in 4th? If we move Q to RT like some are saying, we better spent a first on Cyril or Gabe. I don't see anyone else starting LG not even Ben Jones who looked pedestrian replacing Smith occasionally. If Williams and Q are both healthy, we hit the lottery.

Let's not forget OLB Trevardo Williams should be back and he was causing some positive comments here when drafted.

I realize this mock doesn't fill every need with high quality players, we've just got to many team holes and filling them all just isn't possible in 1 draft. But the more I study this mock the more and more I like it. Job well done. I like the first 5 picks and just not familiar with the last 2.

Last edited:
I realize this mock doesn't fill every need with high quality players, we've just got to many team holes and filling them all just isn't possible in 1 draft. But the more I study this mock the more and more I like it. Job well done. I like the first 5 picks and just not familiar with the last 2.

I like it too .... I've got OT and ILB in rounds 1 & 2 with safety in round 4 as well.

We both have DE & NT in our drafts tho in different rounds .

Many of our mocks look very similar as far as position goes even if we differ on players at this point .... All of this can change over the course of the rest of the season , mainly how Keenum plays from here on out as to how we view our needs as we get closer to the draft.

For now , I'm content with Keenum's play and wouldn't spend a high pick on a QB unless somehow Andrew Luck is in this draft class somewhere.

Back