Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2013   #141
Lucky

Rep Power: 185201 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster (season ending back surgery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
You'd need to get the Patriots to release him first.
No, Wood is on the Pats practice squad. He can be signed to any teams active roster.
Old 11-10-2013   #142
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93882 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
You'd need to get the Patriots to release him first.
Not if we put him on our active roster, he's on their PS.
Old 11-10-2013   #143
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
This really makes losing Woods hurt even more. He looked so good.
Yep. Wood would of had a chance at a good career here. It is really weird the way everything happened at about the same time with Foster, Tate, and Wood. Johnson was the next best rb in preseason but he couldn't hang on the ball. Hopefully he has fixed that. Still, such a shame that Wood blew what could have been a great opportunity.
Old 11-10-2013   #144
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Back injuries are tough to deal with. Look at Tracy McGrady and his back problems. I think Foster's days as a starting back are over. Hope he gets healthy and can play for another year or two. Fortunately running back is a position that can be filled relatively easily nowadays.
Eh, while I am certainly no NFL starting running back, I had this same surgery a year ago and had a very speedy recovery - felt amazingly better six weeks from surgery and was back running without limitations shortly afterthought hat.

The docs may have better and more informed thoughts, but if his disk is pushed into the nerve then that seems to be one of the primary reasons doctors may opt for surgery - no amount of injections or therapy seem to alleviate that level of pain and discomfort.

I think he will be back and just fine next season.
Old 11-10-2013   #145
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53394 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

How much would Arian count against next years cap if we cut him? How about if we trade him?
Old 11-10-2013   #146
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
How much would Arian count against next years cap if we cut him? How about if we trade him?
I think he only counts a bit over $5.5 million next year so unlikely he would be cut...
Old 11-10-2013   #147
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Great now we need a RB in the draft.

One year turnaround not looking so likely anymore.

Resign Tate, cut Foster is what I would do.
Old 11-10-2013   #148
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm starting to think that CnD works for the Texans or knows someone on the Texans medical staff.

His assessment of our players injuries are incredibly accurate!
Old 11-10-2013   #149
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I'm starting to think that CnD works for the Texans or knows someone on the Texans medical staff.

Maybe he is actually a doctor who "listened"
Old 11-10-2013   #150
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post

Uh, no to ALL of this.
Old 11-10-2013   #151
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane View Post
Eh, while I am certainly no NFL starting running back, I had this same surgery a year ago and had a very speedy recovery - felt amazingly better six weeks from surgery and was back running without limitations shortly afterthought hat.

The docs may have better and more informed thoughts, but if his disk is pushed into the nerve then that seems to be one of the primary reasons doctors may opt for surgery - no amount of injections or therapy seem to alleviate that level of pain and discomfort.

I think he will be back and just fine next season.
I wouldn't count on Foster if I were the Texans. That's all I'm saying. I said the same thing over and over again with Cushing's situation earlier this year and what I feared happened with him.
Old 11-10-2013   #152
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post

haha so Minnesota should of cut Peterson after his ACL huh ? Yeah i cant believe they held on to that scrub. Wow some of you people crack me up haha.
Old 11-10-2013   #153
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I wouldn't count on Foster if I were the Texans. That's all I'm saying. I said the same thing over and over again with Cushing's situation earlier this year and what I feared happened with him.
Cushing latest injury was hardly due to his first injury, that was a vicious block by Charles, and that would of messed a lot of people knees ups. Foster will come back just fine, hell look at Peyton Manning after all his neck surgeries he had.
Old 11-10-2013   #154
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Now we are "proper *******ed"
Old 11-10-2013   #155
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
No, Wood is on the Pats practice squad. He can be signed to any teams active roster.
OOPS!!!
Old 11-10-2013   #156
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
haha so Minnesota should of cut Peterson after his ACL huh ? Yeah i cant believe they held on to that scrub. Wow some of you people crack me up haha.
Im no doctor, but I would think back surgery is just a but more serious than knee surgery. Oh yea and the whole Foster is nowhere close to the type of athlete All Day is argument.

No.Where.Close.
Old 11-10-2013   #157
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. There are some really terrible opinions presented as facts in this thread.
Old 11-10-2013   #158
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post

I can't rep CnD enough for what he contributes to this forum, but he's just sharing his expertise on a general level, without the benefit of having examined the players in question. That really highlights just how much the Texans obfuscate injury information and how much we cannot believe anything they say.
Old 11-10-2013   #159
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78831 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

*sigh* depressing.
Old 11-10-2013   #160
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243454 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

There was a Northwestern study published in the March issue of the Journal of American Sports Medicine that examined records of NFL OL and DL, who had herniated disc surgery during their active careers over a 2 decade period (~1990-2010) that were publicly available.......in order to determine their career outcomes, They found a total of 52. Not only did 80 percent of these particular players return to the game, they also played an average of 33 games during three years after the surgery. About half of them attained starter position. When you look at these surprisingly encouraging number, you must keep in mind that the 52 number was for those known to the public through the media and the stats through the NFL. The specific surgery and pathology in most cases were not available to assess "minor" vs "major"........and, we all know that public information released by the teams many times is of dubious accuracy. As we also know, NFL players have surgeries that are never made public. Not only that, but you need to ask yourself how many NFL players have had back issues, retired and THEN had surgeries, instead of opting to try continuting their careers through surgery. These latter players would not be counted in these stats and would likely add significantly to the "poor outcome" category.

There are no other studies I am aware of NFL players (including RBs) undergoing back surgeries. With this said, yes, OL and DL put great amounts of strain on their backs, but they do not typically sustain this strain under high impact situations from not only head-on, but also from the sides as is the case with RBs. Keep in mind that it is not uncommon that after one level of disc problems are demonstrated, other levels being affected may be not far behind. As disc problems may commonly be the result of compensation for other injuries, even if this episode of Foster's disc problem is surgically corrected, with his recurrent history of significant lower extremity injuries (and these are likely to continue to recur) , I would be very guarded about his long-term prognosis as a RB.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read