Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-04-2013   #21
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This will be unpopular, but..

I didn't know Matt Schaub was on this site posting too...
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #22
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre Johnson would punch the OP if he could right now.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #23
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep, about as popular as Hitler at a bar mitzvah.
Old 11-04-2013   #24
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
In a perfect world, I would have had Gary stay as a figurehead
coach (the players play for him) with Dana Holgorsen as OC, and
Wade Phillips as DC.

Crazy, yes, but at this point it would at least be interesting to watch.
(and I think it would work)

What probably happens is we get someone like Gruden, he fires Wade,
cuts Keenum, and 5 years later we're talking about having to draft
a better QB and determining if JJ Watt has lost a step and if AJ
will make it into the HOF on a first ballot.

Gloom and doom city for me..
TJ
Gruden likes Keenum if I remember correctly
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #25
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

People are wrong about KC. That was a very talented team that suffered through a ton of injuries and horrible QB play last year (Matt Cassell & Brady Quinn lol). They also had a bad Head Coach.

Todd Haley was a decent HC, but did not get along great with his players. He was fired in 2011 and replaced by interim HC Romeo Crennel. Crennel was made HC when the team went on a run after he got the job. In 2012, they went 2-14 because he had no idea how to run an offense led by Cassell/Brady and his defense had a lot of injuries.

People forget the Chiefs won the AFC West in 2010. They haven't been horrible for years. That team is loaded with talent. They had one really bad year because of a perfect swarm of ineptitude (sound familiar). They didn't rebuild overnight just by hiring Andy Reed. The defense got healthy and Reed went out and found a stable QB (Alex Smith). They play great defense, run the ball, and don't turn it over.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #26
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I've read some downright silly stuff here the last couple of days or so, but sadly, this is not the silliest.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #27
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Two reactions:

1. Wut?

and

2. No.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2013   #28
AMartin56
Veteran

Rep Power: 2935 AMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
People are wrong about KC. That was a very talented team that suffered through a ton of injuries and horrible QB play last year (Matt Cassell & Brady Quinn lol). They also had a bad Head Coach.

Todd Haley was a decent HC, but did not get along great with his players. He was fired in 2011 and replaced by interim HC Romeo Crennel. Crennel was made HC when the team went on a run after he got the job. In 2012, they went 2-14 because he had no idea how to run an offense led by Cassell/Brady and his defense had a lot of injuries.

People forget the Chiefs won the AFC West in 2010. They haven't been horrible for years. That team is loaded with talent. They had one really bad year because of a perfect swarm of ineptitude (sound familiar). They didn't rebuild overnight just by hiring Andy Reed. The defense got healthy and Reed went out and found a stable QB (Alex Smith). They play great defense, run the ball, and don't turn it over.
I think the point is this. It's weak to fear change when the status quo isn't getting it done.

Will we be 9-0 next year if Kubiak is fired/resigns due to health issues and we make the right hire? Maybe but probably not.

But we know what we have in Kubiak at this point and he isn't getting it done...to the extent that it's now affecting his health. It would be foolish to stay the course again after already doing it in 2010. Since then we've won a few play off games by retaining Kubiak but has it really gotten us anything other than slightly more entertaining but ultimately disappointing football and worse draft picks?

With all the truly bizarre ways we lose games the constant is Kubiak's regime. Change could be worse but it could also be BETTER.

I'm a bit worried about what might happen if we move to a system that requires beef on the line and what that might do to our roster but it's time to rip off the band aid. Otherwise you're hoping in one hand and $%#$ing in the other to see which hand fills up first.
AMartin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I think one big mistake you're making is simply not understanding the design of this offense.

When Schaub's running this offense, it's less explosive NOT because Kubiak/Dennison is calling less explosive plays and not because the other players on the offense are doing something different... it's because Schaub doesn't want to take the risk on trying to make those throws and prefers to make "safer" reads. He also can't prolong the play and buy time for guys to improvise and get open.

All of those long plays to AJ that Keenum was able to hit last night have probably been available for Schaub at various points during the season. Going back to Schaub at this point doesn't make sense.

I personally think we should just consider this a re-loading season, let keenum do his thing, try to get into the playoffs as best we can but otherwise, just fight, scratch, and claw to get this thing back on track for next year with Keenum as the man (unless he falls to pieces in the last half of the season in which case, we'll be looking for a new QB next draft and be a couple more years out from contention.)
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #30
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

the ONLY reason to go back to schaub is if you believe that dennison and company will do long term damage to keenum. if the line play breaks down and the playcalling gets ugly, it may be detrimental to have keenum's first season spent getting crushed and running for his life. you see it happen with early picks who go to bad teams. they spend their formative NFL seasons with bad coaching and protection, going from great potential to bust in large part because of the situation.

i think the system is firmly enough in place that that wont happen. i do believe the offense will fall off quite a bit without kubiak, much like when wade phillips was out. i dont think it will be harmful to keenum though, it's better for keenum to remain the starter and get all the first team reps and game experience. keenum needs to start, and i think dennison can keep the offense going sufficiently until (if?) kubiak returns.
Old 11-04-2013   #31
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstyle42 View Post
I didn't know Matt Schaub was on this site posting too...
Eh....more likely his father.
Old 11-04-2013   #32
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I think the point is this. It's weak to fear change when the status quo isn't getting it done.

Will we be 9-0 next year if Kubiak is fired/resigns due to health issues and we make the right hire? Maybe but probably not.

But we know what we have in Kubiak at this point and he isn't getting it done...to the extent that it's now affecting his health. It would be foolish to stay the course again after already doing it in 2010. Since then we've won a few play off games by retaining Kubiak but has it really gotten us anything other than slightly more entertaining but ultimately disappointing football and worse draft picks?

With all the truly bizarre ways we lose games the constant is Kubiak's regime. Change could be worse but it could also be BETTER.

I'm a bit worried about what might happen if we move to a system that requires beef on the line and what that might do to our roster but it's time to rip off the band aid. Otherwise you're hoping in one hand and $%#$ing in the other to see which hand fills up first.
I was worried about a whole new offensive scheme that would require bigger O-linemen but then I thought, why not just give Shanny Jr a HC gig? He's young and has balls and would probably love to come back. We definitely need a new DC anyway so he can choose his own DC and ST coach and we're good to go with some hopeful high draft picks.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #33
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45032 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

My lack of faith lies in the fact that I simply don't believe
Dennison knows which plays to call in each situation with
Keenum in there..

I think Dennison is the Frank Bush of the offense.

Kubiak looked like he was coming out of his box over the
last two games. I think Wade and Dennison open the
box back up and hop in together (singing kumbaya)

I will just hope that there is some magic going on in
the staff room today, and we're going to see some
no-huddle air raid mixed in with zone blocking bootlegs..

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #34
AMartin56
Veteran

Rep Power: 2935 AMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
I was worried about a whole new offensive scheme that would require bigger O-linemen but then I thought, why not just give Shanny Jr a HC gig? He's young and has balls and would probably love to come back. We definitely need a new DC anyway so he can choose his own DC and ST coach and we're good to go with some hopeful high draft picks.
Fair enough but I'm also a bit worried about anyone off the Shanahan coaching tree at this point. It may be just as irrational a fear as those that say we should keep Kubiak rather than rebuild but I don't like Shanahan's body language on the side line either and I feel like anyone training under him could be the same sort of sad sack that Kubiak is.
Old 11-04-2013   #35
AMartin56
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
My lack of faith lies in the fact that I simply don't believe
Dennison knows which plays to call in each situation with
Keenum in there..

I think Dennison is the Frank Bush of the offense.

Kubiak looked like he was coming out of his box over the
last two games. I think Wade and Dennison open the
box back up and hop in together (singing kumbaya)

I will just hope that there is some magic going on in
the staff room today, and we're going to see some
no-huddle air raid mixed in with zone blocking bootlegs..

TJ
Dennison is DEFINITELY the Frank Bush of the offense. He's a friend of Kubes and played LINEBACKER for crissakes. Name me anyone else with that background that is known as an offensive minded coach?

Having said that I'm still not convinced who calls the plays. One day you read that Kubes does...the next that it's Dennison with Kubiak having veto power (You normally hear this when some needs to defend Kubiak's poor game management). Last night the play calling in the second half looked a lot like it always does to me...an attempt to sit on a lead...so it may not matter who calls the plays. Kubes and Dennison are very likely operating from the same mindset.
Old 11-04-2013   #36
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Serious questions - what has Kyle Shanahan done to make you think "here's a clear upgrade at head coach"? Also, do you really want a rookie hc/oc hybrid?
Old 11-04-2013   #37
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just heard that Kubiak was given stroke meds at the hospital. Bad, bad news...
It is indeed, prayers out for Gary and his family.

Quote:
I simply have no faith that Dennison (or Wade for that matter) could put together a winning offensive gameplan to make use
of Keenum's skillset...
I agree 100% that this team will suffer greatly without Kubiak's tailoring the playcalling to Case's strengths.

Quote:
I believe Schaub should be named the starter for next week.

Ok go ahead, flame me now..TJ
Ermmm, you lost me there. Consider yourself flamed...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #38
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't there. I saw it on TV but I could still hear the stadium come unglued when Keenum let the dragon loose and hit AJ on those long TD's.

Bob McNair heard that and while I had visions of the Texans racking up 40 points on the Colts and then Keenum saying "I'M GOING TO DISNEYLAND!" I have no doubt that McNair had a similar fantasy that also involved Keenum jersey sales and dollar signs everywhere.

Case Keenum is starting. He's starting the rest of the year and he's starting next year too unless he totally ****s the bed at some point this year. Bob McNair literally made it a condition of employment that Gary Kubiak keep David Carr to get the job (or so Texans lore says) and David Carr to my knowledge maybe made the crowd go nuts like that one time (his first start in 2002).

Keenum is the QB. That's just reality guys. Barring injury Schaub will never start a game for the Texans again.
Old 11-04-2013   #39
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Serious questions - what has Kyle Shanahan done to make you think "here's a clear upgrade at head coach"? Also, do you really want a rookie hc/oc hybrid?
I'm just guessing but I feel like he actually had some play calling duties when he was here and the offensive production went way down after he left. Of course that's all conjecture and hear-say. To be honest, I'll take anyone as HC over Kubes. I want a HC with balls and I want Phillips gone too because our defense is starting to look a lot like the same crap we were running out there in 2010. Really would like a HC that hold people accountable and isn't afraid of making changes when stuff obviously isn't working, like Marciano's dumb ass.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #40
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm just guessing but I feel like he actually had some play calling duties when he was here and the offensive production went way down after he left. Of course that's all conjecture and hear-say. To be honest, I'll take anyone as HC over Kubes. I want a HC with balls and I want Phillips gone too because our defense is starting to look a lot like the same crap we were running out there in 2010. Really would like a HC that hold people accountable and isn't afraid of making changes when stuff obviously isn't working, like Marciano's dumb ass.
If I recall, he left for Washington before the 2010 season began, and when Dennison was brought in Foster and the offense had probably their best year (2010) but the defense was so bad it did not make a different.

Kyle Shannahan will be a HC in the league though, his offenses have been pretty good in Houston and Washington.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read