Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-04-2013   #21
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42267 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: **offical texans 2014 draft thread **

our biggest problem is we need a kicker.

I wonder what the record for most missed kicks in a season is?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #22
awc713
Rookie

Rep Power: 247 awc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respected

does anybody have their eye on certain players in particular?

i'd love to get clowney. i think he takes plays off now because he doesnt want to get injured and ruin his pro career. he knows how much money is at stake, and theres no point putting it on the line for a 20th ranked college team that doest pay. i get it.

i think if we decided to get a qb, which the rest of the season will decide, i'd like us to just go big and get someone on the first round, as opposed to some guy that falls to the 2nd-3rd round. this is a qb driven league. if we can get mariotta i do it in a second
awc713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #23
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 4235 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Jake Matthews please
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #24
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Need LB's and OL in no particular order. Need to clean house and kick some of the dead weight off the roster.
My suggested cuts (only notable ones):
Ed Reed
Matt Schaub
J-Jo
Sharpton
Antonio Smith
Bullock

Possible cut:
Foster?? I think he is done and worn down unfortunately. (not sure, maybe pay Tate and cut Foster if it makes sense financially)

I think this would free a crap load of cap space to sign our younger players to better deals. K-Jax, JJ Watt, Tate will all need new deals.

Any input on this?
Old 11-04-2013   #25
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Ed Reed
Matt Schaub
J-Jo
Sharpton
Antonio Smith
Bullock

Possible cut:
Foster?? I think he is done and worn down unfortunately. (not sure, maybe pay Tate and cut Foster if it makes sense financially)

I think this would free a crap load of cap space to sign our younger players to better deals. K-Jax, JJ Watt, Tate will all need new deals.

Any input on this?
My question is, who steps up at CB with JJo gone? Basically you have KJax, JJo and hot garbage behind them. All rookies or any FAs out there to target?

Also, Ninja may be a cap casualty but he's still clearly you 3rd best defensive player (Cushing, Watt). Crick has been pedestrian in relief of Smith.

Cut Foster and pay Tate? Maybe but I'd probably cut Foster and let Tate get paid somewhere else. Draft or go FA to get their replacements. Too many team holes to pay so much for injury prone RBs.
Old 11-04-2013   #26
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32969 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

We need so many things it is hard to prioritize.

Is Case the next Drew Brees? Wont know until we put a better O-line in front of him in my opinion. So do you go O-line first or QB?

Regardless if Cushing ever returns to form, we need ILB help in a huge way.

Secondary is still suspect, although the rookie looks like the real deal at strong safety.

Kicker is crap but we should be able to address that in FA.

DL needs to add another serious pass rush threat, and wouldn't mind some girth in the middle.

Our number one running back seems to have grown a vagina.

This team is unfortunately, because of Gary insisting on staying with Schaub, now two to three years away from contending again. So now we need to build moving forward the right way, not thinking we are one player from winning it all.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #27
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77717 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ed Reed
Matt Schaub
J-Jo
Sharpton
Antonio Smith
Bullock

Possible cut:

Any input on this?
Sharpton and Ninja are Free Agents next year so we don't need to worry about "cutting" them. Sharpton is garbage, but I would definitely bring Ninja back for the right price. I would definitely cut Bullock. Cutting Schaub, Reed, and Joseph would put tons of dead money on us if we cut them. Not to mention that although he is overpaid, Joseph is far superior to the hot garbage we have at CB behind him and Jackson.

Tate is a FA and is going to get starter money thrown at him. No way we can reasonably match. Cutting a worn down Foster for an injury prone Tate just does not make sense.

Jackson has a team option that we can use to hold onto him for an extra year and if his play continues to progress then give him a new contract. Watt needs an extension ASAP.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2013   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We still have Brennan Williams at OT and Quizz at OG; I think they have the talent to be upgrades on the O-line.

That is if Williams can last in the NFL, of course.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #29
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Cutting Schaub, Reed, and Joseph would put tons of dead money on us if we cut them. Not to mention that although he is overpaid, Joseph is far superior to the hot garbage we have at CB behind him and Jackson.
Actually cutting those 3 would SAVE over 10 million in cap space.
Schaub 4,000,000
JJo 3,750,000
Reed 2,666,666
Old 11-04-2013   #30
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77717 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Actually cutting those 3 would SAVE over 10 million in cap space.
Schaub 4,000,000
JJo 3,750,000
Reed 2,666,666
Yes, but the rest of the contract becomes dead money. Schaub isn't making $4 mil next year and Joseph isn't making $3.75 mil.

Schaub has a $14.5 mil cap hit next year. Joseph has an $11.25 mil cap hit. Reed is at $5.33 mil

You're cutting $31 mil in cap and only getting $10 mil to use because of the dead money allocated to your cap.

I'm not a cap savant like some guys on this board, but I do know that cutting those guys frees up short term money and handcuffs you in the long term. It's exactly what the previous regime did that got us in salary cap hell.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 11-04-2013   #31
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77963 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

QB in the first. I think Keenum has skill, but the dude is built like Olive Oil
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #32
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yes, but the rest of the contract becomes dead money. Schaub isn't making $4 mil next year and Joseph isn't making $3.75 mil.

Schaub has a $14.5 mil cap hit next year. Joseph has an $11.25 mil cap hit. Reed is at $5.33 mil

You're cutting $31 mil in cap and only getting $10 mil to use because of the dead money allocated to your cap.

I'm not a cap savant like some guys on this board, but I do know that cutting those guys frees up short term money and handcuffs you in the long term. It's exactly what the previous regime did that got us in salary cap hell.
I'm no cap due either so maybe someone that is better can help here. Pretty sure I'm correct though. Example -

Schaub is due in 2014:
10,000,000 salary
1,000,000 roster bonus
3,500,000 prorated bonus
Total 2014 cap hit if on the roster - 14,500,000

Dead money if Schaub is cut:

Cap saving if cut:
14,500,000 (cap hit) - 10,500,000 (dead money) = 4,000,000
Old 11-04-2013   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ed Reed
Matt Schaub
J-Jo
Sharpton
Antonio Smith
Bullock

Possible cut:

Any input on this?
Ed Reed: you can cut after this season and save a wee bit but need to be comfortable with Swearinger + imo draft high.

Joseph: No one on roster to replace him and unfortunately weak draft. Good news is if there is a FA out there you like you can cut Joseph and use savings to go after FA. Big risk. I had said elsewhere if he recovered health wise we could bonus him out and add 2 years as he would be in early 30s but it might be best to keep him as is and keep eating his contract like we are doing with Ninja and Wade Smith.

A. Smith: last year of contract, 32 YOA, $9 million cap hit for about 3 tackles/game.

Sharpton: needs to go into politic with his uncle.
Bullock: who? lol

No way Foster gets cut and Kareem Jackson is under a team option for 2014 at just under 2014.
Old 11-04-2013   #34
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm no cap due either so maybe someone that is better can help here. Pretty sure I'm correct though. Example -

Schaub is due in 2014:
10,000,000 salary
1,000,000 roster bonus
3,500,000 prorated bonus
Total 2014 cap hit if on the roster - 14,500,000

Dead money if Schaub is cut:

Cap saving if cut:
14,500,000 (cap hit) - 10,500,000 (dead money) = 4,000,000
I'm not saying that it wouldn't free up cap space. It would. What I'm saying is you handcuff the cap because that dead money doesn't just disappear. You free up an immediate $4 million to use, but that $10 million is gone.

If the salary cap were $150 million then we would only be able to use $140 million because of the $10 million in dead money that's already allocated to the cap.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 11-04-2013   #35
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not saying that it wouldn't free up cap space. It would. What I'm saying is you handcuff the cap because that dead money doesn't just disappear. You free up an immediate $4 million to use, but that $10 million is gone.

If the salary cap were $150 million then we would only be able to use $140 million because of the $10 million in dead money that's already allocated to the cap.
Hehe - so you keep players you don't like or that can't play and have $0 cap space. Dead money sucks but if you can get better players with the 10 million left, you cut them.
Old 11-04-2013   #36
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 73208 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

do whatever is needed to grab JAKE MATTHEWS.

after that, spend the rest of the draft on linebackers. no BPA. no filling other holes. just linebacker after linebacker - OLB, ILB, 43, 34, rush, cover, specialists, whatever. linebackers.

14 wins next year.
Old 11-04-2013   #37
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Jake Matthews please
I agree completely. We need to beef up the OL and we need quality LBers. I would draft Jake Matthews in Rd 1, a ILB in Rd. 2, and a CB in Rd. 3.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #38
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Hehe - so you keep players you don't like or that can't play and have $0 cap space. Dead money sucks but if you can get better players with the 10 million left, you cut them.
But can you get better players? A lot of those guys are on the street for a reason.

The dead money also stays with the team. It doesn't just disappear after one year. I'm pretty sure we carried Anthony Weaver's dead money for like 3 years. It probably has something to do with the time remaining on the contract when you cut them.

That said, what QB is going to be better than Schaub? If you're fine with Yates at backup, then cut him. Use that money for a #3 QB. I agree that there is no reason to pay him that salary if there is no intention to use him. I'm pretty sure he's the backup though and Yates is #3.

What CB on the street is going to be better than Joseph? I don't think there is one. Joseph has definitely lost a step, but cutting him would put McCain and Harris on the field permanently. Not exactly making the team better.

I will give you Reed, he's awful. There are better options.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 11-04-2013   #39
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
This is why I get so angry when I think about the 2012 and 2013 playoffs. The injuries we suffered, Jacoby Jones' bull****, etc.

Everyone told me "Relax, they'll be good. They'll be here for years to come. Don't worry. Their time is coming."

No. In this league, you strike while the iron is hot. That iron turned ice cold real fast.
Great post. I agree completely. Boy I wish we had even just Matt Leinart healthy back in 2012.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #40
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77963 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

It will also depend if there is a new coaching staff. If that happens, I figure that QB will be the 1st pick

DeAnthony Thomas at KR/PR/RB would be nice
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read