Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-04-2013   #21
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sitting on the lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I blame some of that on playcalling though. Keenum played well enough to win in the end. Giving up 3 consecutive TDs on defense, some terrible ref calls, and an inexplicable 3rd down overturn on the field was ridiculous. Yes it would have been great to step on the gas, but the Colts adjusted and started reading our plays. We needed to keep throwing new stuff out there and didn't
I'm not blaming Keenum at all. It's all on the playcalling. We didn't play with that same edge that we had in the 1st half and it obviously hurt our production.

Defensively, we didn't put the same kind of pressure on Luck in the 2nd half and he tore us apart. Our crappy DB play caught up with us in the end yet again.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #22
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

We left 12 points on the table. The 4th and 1 we failed to convert early in the game which could have been a field goal attempt from about extra point range. And then the other three misses by Randy Bullock. Those could have won us the game obviously.
Old 11-04-2013   #23
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I'm not blaming Keenum at all. It's all on the playcalling. We didn't play with that same edge that we had in the 1st half and it obviously hurt our production.

Defensively, we didn't put the same kind of pressure on Luck in the 2nd half and he tore us apart. Our crappy DB play caught up with us in the end yet again.
Yeah the defense really frustrated me in the 2nd half. We got some hurries, but they weren't good enough to get Luck off target. I'm also just amazed at our lack of ability to create turnovers. I think our DBs are playing the receiver more than the ball and we end up never making plays on the ball.

That and Brice McCain is terrible and we need a better 3rd string CB.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #24
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I'd be fine with Kubiak going. I wonder though how much influence Kubiak can have on getting Keenum to grow, or is that something he would do under a new coach on his own. Keenum looks good enough to succeed in any system. He can make throws that Schaub can't. I definitely think Schaub's stat success was largely the system he was in.

If Keenum finishes strong the rest of the way, I don't think you need a QB in the draft. I'd rather we spend high draft picks on a NT, ILB, FS / SS, and a RT. It's obvious that our deficiency at this point is really on defense.
It'll be interesting...if we keep losing the way we do (against bad teams and good teams) we may have a chance to draft Clowney...
Old 11-04-2013   #25
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
It'll be interesting...if we keep losing the way we do (against bad teams and good teams) we may have a chance to draft Clowney...
I said this in another thread but I'll say it again......I want nothing to do with Clowney. He's lazy. Even Spurrier is just about done with him. Give me a guy with a relentless work ethic over a guy with all the tools but no desire to use them.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 11-04-2013   #26
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I said this in another thread but I'll say it again......I want nothing to do with Clowney. He's lazy. Even Spurrier is just about done with him. Give me a guy with a relentless work ethic over a guy with all the tools but no desire to use them.
Guess we will see, I don't really pay attention to that stuff. I think Clowney may have the "I'm just trying to get through the year healthy..." mentality and I can't blame a player for that.
Old 11-04-2013   #27
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Clowney would be another Mario Williams. Crazy talent but takes some plays off, has a lazy work ethic. I could care less if he looks good without a T-shirt and in shorts at the NFL combine. The better football player is going to be C.J. Mosley and that's a position of need for us.
Old 11-04-2013   #28
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah. Clowney reminds me a lot of Mario Williams. His stats are pretty mediocre and I think that has hurt his draft status. He has a lot of hype going for him.

I dunno enough about the rest of the d line draft class, but Clowney sounds like he'd be perfect for the Cowboys.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #29
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

The defense was insanely good with Mario Williams though and Watt.
Old 11-04-2013   #30
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Well we've got better qb play....Case hasn't thrown an int and hasn't given the other team points.......and guess what? The defense still sucks....play well for a 1/2.... Stink it up for another......that's pretty much how the whole team has been playing all year...people just got distracted and looked over the defense b/c of the pick 6 derby we had going.

#1 defense my ass...when we absolutely have to have it, they can't stop anybody...... They're frauds....been saying it since week 3-4. 20 pts in the 2nd half 15 pts in the 4th......terrible. The sad part about it is i still see folks giving them a pass....the focus is now shifting from the pick 6's and TO's to the **** kicker...
This is straight up bull****. This coaching staff in this game sat on the lead. They did nothing in the 2nd half to step on the other team's throat. Typical game from this organization's mind set. We've seen it for years.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #31
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

I do not believe Dennison ever called any plays.
I believe he was there as a prop while Gary
ran the offense.

When Gary went out, and Rick had to call the plays,
with Wade trying to play HC+DC it was noticeable
that the gameplan went basic.

I don't think Case couldn't handle the playbook -- I
think Dennison was guessing without a real clue
of what the offensive strategy should have been
in the second half..

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #32
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 27534 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you watched the Steelers/Pats game earlier today you saw what a real team does. The Pats had the Steelers on the ropes late and stepped on their throats and routed them out of the building. That team was trying to score touchdowns on every drive with a lead late in the game. That kind of aggressiveness and intensity is something this team has never had and is sorely lacking. It's been a dark mark on this franchise for years. We always manage to blow games like this because of the attitude we play with when we have a lead.
I don't think Bellichik would've play that aggressive if that was Brady second start of his NFL career. Bellichik could afford that type of playcalling because of the trust he has for Brady that developed from all those years. If Keenum turn out to be the real deal I'm sure the playcalling would be very different.
klockWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #33
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
I don't think Bellichik would've play that aggressive if that was Brady second start of his NFL career. Bellichik could afford that type of playcalling because of the trust he has for Brady that developed from all those years. If Keenum turn out to be the real deal I'm sure the playcalling would be very different.
Maybe so. Belichick sure as heck wouldn't have played soft prevent defense in the 2nd half though. He would have kept his that aggressive swarm going all night long.

It happened on both sides of the ball and it's not just tonight. It's a mentality with this team and this regime. When the Texans get a big lead they take their foot off the gas and let you back in the game. When the Pats, Packers, 49ers, etc get a big lead they embarrass you. Completely different attitude that those teams have.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 11-04-2013   #34
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Maybe so. Belichick sure as heck wouldn't have played soft prevent defense in the 2nd half though. He would have kept his that aggressive swarm going all night long.

It happened on both sides of the ball and it's not just tonight. It's a mentality with this team and this regime. When the Texans get a big lead they take their foot off the gas and let you back in the game. When the Pats, Packers, 49ers, etc get a big lead they embarrass you. Completely different attitude that those teams have.
Yep, can completely agree with this.

I was rolling my eyes to hear Chris and whatshisname talk about how the Texans had a easy schedule from here on out and how they will be 2 games back as if they had it in the bag. I KNEW the colts were coming back.

I do think things would have been different with Kubes though, he was calling a great aggressive game this time around. I sort of feel like Schaub has kind of neutered Kubes (not saying he should be given another year. Definitely not saying that) but the offense with Case was night and day different than the one with Schaub.

I figured a defensive coach would come in and try to run out the clock and rely more on the defense...defense was really disappointing though.
Old 11-04-2013   #35
qqert
Veteran

Rep Power: 10591 qqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: Sitting on the lead

sitting on a lead is a bad game strategy.
why did we forego the deep bombs in the 3Q?
qqert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #36
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 4237 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Totally agree with the spirit of this thread.

Bullock needs to be replaced, even I will acknowledge that now. However, wasn't the Texans up 21-3 at halftime? All the Texans would have to do is stop Indy from scoring 18 points and they win the game without scoring another point!!!!

Bullock needs to go, but if you are allowing teams to come back and win games after being down by 18 at halftime, I PROMISE you that there are more issues on the team than just the kicker!
HouTx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #37
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115041 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
I do not believe Dennison ever called any plays.
I believe he was there as a prop while Gary
ran the offense.

When Gary went out, and Rick had to call the plays,
with Wade trying to play HC+DC it was noticeable
that the gameplan went basic.

I don't think Case couldn't handle the playbook -- I
think Dennison was guessing without a real clue
of what the offensive strategy should have been
in the second half..

TJ
Quote:
PDS ‏@PatDStat 55m
Andre made a point to say that plays were taking longer to get to the huddle. The entire flow to the game was shot. #Texans

Yep
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #38
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think it was after the block FG that the Texans had a 3rd and short deep on the Indy side of the field . Every body in the stadium knew a run was coming and the Colts stuffed it . The Texans went for it on 4th down and did the same thing with the same results . You could feel the air go out of the balloon a bit .

With the games rules today , you never let up . The league wants offense which makes ground and pound is obsolete . A great defense now is one that makes timely plays whether it's through turnovers or timely sacks .
Old 11-04-2013   #39
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
We left 12 points on the table. The 4th and 1 we failed to convert early in the game which could have been a field goal attempt from about extra point range. And then the other three misses by Randy Bullock. Those could have won us the game obviously.

I can't assume that Bullock would have made the chip shot field goal.

We should be looking at free agent kickers Tuesday, and sign the best of the lot.

Shane Lechlers short punt gave Indy some good field position too. I think it led to a short TD drive if my memory serves me. But I seldom trust my memory anymore.

And I agree that the team predictably went into a shell with the lead at halftime.

I wish Kubiak a speedy recovery and a new job somewhere else.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read