Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-07-2013   #181
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All Encompassing FIRE Randy Bullock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
You can not like many things the Texans do but to say that losing doesn't bother them is nothing more than fiction. The Texans are patient. Sometimes it won't pay off. They want to create a stable team instead of firing everyone every 3-4 years hoping that they miraculously get the right combination. Is that comfort in losing? No way. They just don't want to end up like the many teams that hit the reset button every few years because they don't win a Superbowl. They want to give everyone, coaches and players, an opportunity to improve.

Sometimes they pulled the trigger pretty quick. See Trindon Holliday. Nobody complained when he was released. They had seen enough of his muffing balls and bad decisions. Then he becomes what he should have been here in Denver and fans complain we weren't patient enough and should have tied the roster spot up for him.

When your season starts and you feel like you can make it to the playoffs and possibly the Superbowl - you usually go with a veteran QB. Rarely will you see a potential playoff team dump their veteran in season and bring in a young (unproven) QB unless there is an injury. See New England Bledsoe > Brady. See San Francisco Smith > Kaepernick. See Arizona Warner (not injured) -not bringing in Lienart. The Texans were in the same boat with Schaub. We knew coming in he was likely our best bet to get to and advance in the playoffs. Schaub gets injured. Keenum got his chance and ran with it.

Here's where things change. When your team is CLEARLY out of the playoff picture like the Texans at 2-6, why get rid of players like Bullock? He's young. He has 8 more games to get his mind right. You lose nothing by keeping him on the roster. Some say it's a lack of accountability. Then Ed Reed, Derek Newton, Schaub, Kareem Jackson & Jonathan Joseph should be released at the same time as Bullock. They have all made game losing plays (or lack of in Reed's case) in multiple games. Does anyone REALLY think we could replace all those players in the middle of the season and improve the team? Get rid of Bullock after the season if he doesn't become the best kicker in the game over the next 8 games.

After all that crap I just said, Bullock should have been fired after all the misses early in the season. At least then the season had hope left and a vet could have stabilized the situation. Now it would take a miracle to get to the playoffs. I doubt that Rackers or Graham would be the catalyst of that miracle.
Lol. That's funny. So, you agree with me.

Re: Trindon Holliday. My point was: it goes HIGHER than Trindon Holliday. He was mismanged and coached poorly. That's a result of them letting Joe Marciano do whatever he wants with zero accountability. Heck, instead of firing him, they actually got him a freaking ASSISTANT this year. And what good did that do?

Our head coach is a "qb guru." That's been his label. Ok. So, why wasn't he able to plan for this QB mess in advance? Shouldn't he have had a Plan B in place for our QB, if he's such an expert? Shouldn't he have seen that Schaub was on a downward slope?

And, about the Texans being patient. Ok, maybe. But, they are living in a bubble. Professionally, we are all measured against our peers. It's how life works. The Texans act as if it takes 8 years to improve a team, and that, if you just let people do their jobs long enough, they will eventually succeed. That's simply not true. Other teams do major turn-around's in a few years. It's the reality of the NFL. There is no other team in the NFL that would keep a kicker after missing three field goals during a nationally-televised game. It simply would not happen on other teams.

You said that they are patient because they wanted to create a stable team. Ok. Do you consider this team "stable?" We have a team full of superstars that are poorly managed and are likely getting tired of playing for a mediocre team. No matter what the players say publicly, they are likely fed up with this team privately.

There is a difference between stable and stagnant.

We are likely stuck with Gary Kubiak for several more years to come, regardless of his success rate. I am starting to accept that. In addition, no way would McNair ever get rid of a coach after having a health scare. Knowing McNair, he'll probably blame the fans for putting too much pressure on Gary, getting him stressed out enough to get sick (yep, I'm serious).

It may sound like I'm talking nonsense, but, I judge actions, not words. The Texans say one thing, but their actions tell a different story.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #182
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The only comment I would make as far as continuing the "Bullock experiment" is that the more his kicks factor into losing games the more he will undoubtedly have a very strong negative effect of the entire team's psyche, just as Schaub's picks did.
Cloak,

Exactly. I didn't even mention the message that they're sending to other players by not holding Bullock accountable. Look at how much this team came alive once Schaub was benched and Keenum went in.
Old 11-07-2013   #183
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263877 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

They aren't getting rid of Bullock because he's Kubiak's guy and Kubiak is out sick at the moment.

But, if I'm the GM or head coach I wouldn't be letting that stop me. Not if I care about winning.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #184
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
They aren't getting rid of Bullock because he's Kubiak's guy and Kubiak is out sick at the moment.

But, if I'm the GM or head coach I wouldn't be letting that stop me. Not if I care about winning.
Correct. Rick Smith SHOULD step in here and make this change, and would be justified and well within the scope of his job to do so.
Old 11-07-2013   #185
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 122253 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The only comment I would make as far as continuing the "Bullock experiment" is that the more his kicks factor into losing games the more he will undoubtedly have a very strong negative effect of the entire team's psyche, just as Schaub's picks did.
The good Doctor makes a salient point.

This goes with my feelings on the Texans Defense - As angry as I saw Duane Brown get when Schaub threw a pick-6, I can only imagine how motivated the Texans "D" was at that point. It sure can't help them watching our kicker shank another one either.
Old 11-07-2013   #186
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can't argue that point Doc. You are probably right. His leash should still probably be fairly short. His kicks have possibly cost the team 1 game. Kareem Jackson's penalties have possibly cost us 2. We could go on with most of the players. I know it's easy to single out the kicker. He has 2 jobs - make kicks and kick off. He has been terrible at one and not good at the other. That puts him in line with most of the players on the team this season. Everyone not named AJ have been performing poorly.

The only point that could possibly counter yours is - what if he makes an awesome recovery and starts making all of his kicks? What does that do to the team's psyche?

I'm not saying Bullock SHOULD be kept. Only that the team has no huge reason to cut 1 underperforming player on a team full of them.
Old 11-07-2013   #187
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Lol. That's funny. So, you agree with me.
Sure - on that point.
Quote:
Re: Trindon Holliday. My point was: it goes HIGHER than Trindon Holliday. He was mismanged and coached poorly. That's a result of them letting Joe Marciano do whatever he wants with zero accountability. Heck, instead of firing him, they actually got him a freaking ASSISTANT this year. And what good did that do?
100% agree. See my signature.

Quote:
Our head coach is a "qb guru." That's been his label. Ok. So, why wasn't he able to plan for this QB mess in advance? Shouldn't he have had a Plan B in place for our QB, if he's such an expert? Shouldn't he have seen that Schaub was on a downward slope?
Hi. My name is Case Keenum. I am the solution Coach Kubiak had in mind.

Quote:
And, about the Texans being patient. Ok, maybe. But, they are living in a bubble. Professionally, we are all measured against our peers. It's how life works. The Texans act as if it takes 8 years to improve a team, and that, if you just let people do their jobs long enough, they will eventually succeed. That's simply not true. Other teams do major turn-around's in a few years. It's the reality of the NFL. There is no other team in the NFL that would keep a kicker after missing three field goals during a nationally-televised game. It simply would not happen on other teams.
Texans improved in year 1 of the Kubiak era. I won't get into it again in this thread but basically years 1-3 have legitimate reasons to be overlooked when evaluating the Kubiak era. If you think I'm calling for Kubes to be back - see my signature.

Quote:
You said that they are patient because they wanted to create a stable team. Ok. Do you consider this team "stable?" We have a team full of superstars that are poorly managed and are likely getting tired of playing for a mediocre team. No matter what the players say publicly, they are likely fed up with this team privately.

There is a difference between stable and stagnant.
After the start of this season - again I agree. See my signature.

Quote:
We are likely stuck with Gary Kubiak for several more years to come, regardless of his success rate. I am starting to accept that. In addition, no way would McNair ever get rid of a coach after having a health scare. Knowing McNair, he'll probably blame the fans for putting too much pressure on Gary, getting him stressed out enough to get sick (yep, I'm serious).

It may sound like I'm talking nonsense, but, I judge actions, not words. The Texans say one thing, but their actions tell a different story.
I don't agree with this though. McNair will do what he does every year. He'll weigh the pros and cons of keeping Kubiak. Getting rid of Kubiak is risky. Many head coaches excel in their second jobs after having some success in the first. Is it a change of scenery or just that the coaches are better than their records were. I think that if Keenum tears through the next 8 games under Kubiak then McNair will have trouble letting him go. If Keenum struggles badly and this team bombs, McNair could easily fire or change Kubiak's position within the organization. Kubiak getting ill should have little influence on McNair's decision - imo.
Old 11-07-2013   #188
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

We should go ahead and sign him to an extension and get that out of the way.
Old 11-07-2013   #189
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Correct. Rick Smith SHOULD step in here and make this change, and would be justified and well within the scope of his job to do so.
He cant, Gary has final say on the 53 man roster. It's in his contract.

Fact is, Gary Kubiak is the reason this team is where it is. These are his handpicked players.

With that said Get Well Soon Gary
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #190
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 84240 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bullock is so fat all he wants for Christmas is to see his feet.
He has Dick-do disease, his belly sticks out further than his richard do.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #191
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
I can't f'ing believe we are keeping our kicker.. wtf..
This is not hard to believe. With Kubiak laid up, Smith is the only one who could make a decision and it would be in bad taste to do so. As soon as Kubes is back and capable of being in on the decision you might see some action being taken.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #192
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 263877 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Bullock is so fat he generates his own gravitational pull

Which could explain his kicking accuracy

Old 11-07-2013   #193
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 31109 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
This is not hard to believe. With Kubiak laid up, Smith is the only one who could make a decision and it would be in bad taste to do so. As soon as Kubes is back and capable of being in on the decision you might see some action being taken.
Nope, I think I figured it out on the way home.. we are going for 2-14 for the draft!!

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #194
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

From the Houston Texans Facebook page:

Quote:
"We're going to continue to go with Randy. He certainly knows and we told him, and everybody else knows. He’s got to get it done."

READ: http://bit.ly/17cbk2P — with Jose Alonso.
I'm glad he now knows he has to get it done. Him not knowing that before was a problem.
Old 11-07-2013   #195
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
From the Houston Texans Facebook page:

I'm glad he now knows he has to get it done. Him not knowing that before was a problem.

eriadoc wins the sarcasm post of the month award. MSR

Old 11-07-2013   #196
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Dude, I can remember when I would look down and not only not see my "Big Bill" but I couldn't see my toes either. Now, that's a boiler!! WTH??!?!!?....
Old 11-07-2013   #197
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

eriadoc wins the sarcasm post of the month award. MSR
Got him for you!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #198
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm no expert. i've rewatched the 3 misses from sunday repeatedly and i just dont like his form at all. first off, he's slightly different on each. he begins his first two with a slight lean back or hesitation. he also seems to be a bit bouncy on his approach, not settling himself with his right leg and making the plant more difficult. i prefer a much more solid right foot than being on your toes to calm and balance the next step. finally he's more over the top of the ball than i like, which can aid in distance at the cost of accuracy. the last kick he was off-balance from the get go, falling off to his left before finishing the first step.

in my opinion the least important part of the kick is the kick itsself. it's all about the approach - step, plant, swing. you have to be balanced and you have to be accurate with your plant foot. this is even more important when you're struggling. players often get too worried about the situation and lose their form, or they try to adjust instead of getting the simple mechanics right. much like chuck hayes who could shoot freethrows in college, but looked like he was having a seizure by the end of his pro career.

it's my conclusion that he's got too much to fix. he cant calm his mind enough to perform in stressful situations, and he has mechanical flaws as well that will be very difficult to iron out. as such he's probably going to be pretty streaky his entire career.
Old 11-07-2013   #199
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #200
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 54152 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Can someone going to the game plant one of these in Randy's room?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read