Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-12-2013   #1
MistaRed
All Pro

Rep Power: 13090 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ben Tate article on MMQB

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/12/ben-ta...s-acupuncture/

Article from Peter King's MMQB website. Talks about Ben playing through his rib injury and his history with the Texans. Here's a small excerpt:

Quote:
I ask him one final question: Do you want to be a Texan?

He pauses and stares at the road. He weighs everything before answering; his rivalry with Foster, the uncertain coaching situation, the pain in his ribs, the pain in his ankle, the aches throughout his body, his girlfriend and their expected child, due in February, his widowed mother, the way his dad looks at him, with eyes shifting in color from exposure to gasoline fumes. Its impossible to pick just one emotion. He wants money for himself, for his family, for his son. He wants to be respected, and to feel wanted. Above all, he just wants to play.

I want to be somewhere where Im appreciated, he says. I want to be somewhere, with all the off-seasons Ive worked as hard as Ive worked, where I have a chance to show everyone what I can do on a regular basis.

Do you want to be a Texan?

Thats a tough question to answer. I cant say, No, I dont want to be here. But I cant say I do want to be here, because they invested in Arian, Tate says. I feel as though Im just as talented, I can do the same things he does, so where do I fit in?

My time in this game is limited. Im 25. Im in my prime for the next three years. So I want to be somewhere where I can utilize that. Ive said it before, I dont work this hard to be anyones backup. Thats just not why I play this game.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #2
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ben Tate article on MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/12/ben-ta...s-acupuncture/

Article from Peter King's MMQB website. Talks about Ben playing through his rib injury and his history with the Texans. Here's a small excerpt:
Well good luck Tate. I wish you well. Maybe you can find that fan base that is not wishy washy.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

A RB who doesn't like playing second fiddle to one of the better backs in the league, go figure. I don't blame him, but it's just bad timing/team situation.

Enjoy your time in Cleveland, Ben.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #4
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Besides wishy washy thing, if I were Ben, I will go where you are appreciated which of course includes finance side of it and preferably playoff contention team. But RB life in NFL is short so, finance sides weighs more I think.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #5
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 123205 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

If he was happy being a backup, I wouldn't want him. Good luck to him proving he's a #1 back in this league. I think he can be. I'm not sure if Foster returns from back surgery so I'd hate to see him go
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #6
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't think anyone expected him back anyway. He needs to do what is best for him and now his upcoming family. As a running back you really can't blame him because their shelf life is so short. They really have to get it while they can. And he's right. He is talented enough to start in the league so I wish him luck when the season is over.

Last edited by deucetx; 12-12-2013 at 12:22 PM.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #7
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 108923 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Ben has the ability to be a premier runningback, but he was never as good at one cut running as Arian. The cutback lane was hardly ever an option for him. That won't matter as much in a new offensive scheme, but what will matter is the contract that Cleveland will be offering him. I hope it's huge, and I hope he's a top five rusher.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2013   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 169136 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting...

Quote:
“Tate just hasn’t come along,” Kubiak told reporters. “Everybody thought he could—our trainers, our doctors—but he hasn’t, so we’ll listen to him.”

Privately, Tate fumed. He had been working harder than ever, changing his diet and embracing all manners of rehabilitation. What was being reported as a hamstring injury was actually a hamstring tear, he says. He had been given a four to six week timetable for returning but missed only three weeks.

“For him to say that to the media,” Tate says, “that made me feel like, Why would I want to come back and play for someone that’s putting me down, when you know what I’m going through? For him to make it seem like I’m a lazy guy or not a tough guy, that was really unfair to me.

“I don’t know if we ever did get past that. We probably smoothed it out during this offseason. We sat down and talked. I told him pretty much those exact words. I think he realized, maybe it was just the heat and pressure of the season that got to him.”

When I first got here he wouldn’t help me with none of the plays,” Tate says. “I was a second-rounder and he was undrafted, so he wasn’t really trying to help me. Despite all that, all the arguments, all the times I wanted to beat him up, we have become friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #9
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99016 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope your next team has a great training room for you to spend your time in, Ben!
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #10
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
When I first got here he wouldnt help me with none of the plays, Tate says. I was a second-rounder and he was undrafted, so he wasnt really trying to help me. Despite all that, all the arguments, all the times I wanted to beat him up, we have become friends.
And that's the mentality that results in a losing team.

Look at the difference in the Ravens. Ed Reed, Anquan Boldin both coached up & mentored the young guys.

The I'm gonna get mine guys are losers.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Tate is on my "I Don't Give A $hit" list. If he stays, fine, if he leaves, fine. It's all the same to me.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I feel like Tate has been done a disservice by Kubiak, and by extension, the team. The injury chatter and way Kubiak handled him was pretty unprofessional, IMO. We saw Kubiak do that with a few players, for whatever reason. Aside from that, he was just never a good fit for this offense. He runs best when he sticks to the front side and rarely does well on cut backs. The Texans drafted him anyway after watching him at Auburn, so not sure what they thought they'd get. He's produced anyway, but in a different manner. It was nice having both him and Foster together.

Where I really blast the team on this is how they've planned for his departure. As someone above me said, we all expect him to be gone. His contract is set in stone, so the team knows exactly when he'll be leaving as well. What has Rick Smith done to prepare for that departure to this point? Dennis Johnson? Cierre Wood? Foster is the #1 guy, of course, but he's a little banged up, been overused, and could probably use a breather now and again.

My final thought is based upon his answer to Peter King:

Quote:
Do you want to be a Texan?

“That’s a tough question to answer. I can’t say, ‘No, I don’t want to be here.’ But I can’t say I do want to be here, because they invested in Arian,” Tate says. “I feel as though I’m just as talented, I can do the same things he does, so where do I fit in?
Stop being so damn wishy washy and ANSWER THE QUESTION!

Old 12-12-2013   #13
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He pauses and stares at the road. He weighs everything before answering; his rivalry with Foster, the uncertain coaching situation, the pain in his ribs, the pain in his ankle, the aches throughout his body, his girlfriend and their expected child, due in February, his widowed mother, the way his dad looks at him, with eyes shifting in color from exposure to gasoline fumes. It’s impossible to pick just one emotion. He wants money for himself, for his family, for his son. He wants to be respected, and to feel wanted. Above all, he just wants to play.
WTF did I just read?
Old 12-12-2013   #14
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ben Tate article on MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
And that's the mentality that results in a losing team.

Look at the difference in the Ravens. Ed Reed, Anquan Boldin both coached up & mentored the young guys.

The I'm gonna get mine guys are losers.
Apples and oranges. All the Ravens players you mention were/are long time vets with established positions.
In 2010, Tate was a 2nd round draftee competing with Foster for a starting position that Foster had not secured yet.
I would've preferred Foster to be selfless for the sake of the team, but I understand how a UDFA might not want to help a rookie win that starting position.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #15
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ben, I'm sorry you were never the player Arian was.

I'm sorry you never got to earn your high-round selection.

I'm sorry that you never quite seemed to fit the one-cut system that your HS preferred.

I'm sorry that you're wishy-washy about remaining in Houston.

Hopefully, you can find a team with a power-running game that better suits your abilities.

Hopefully that team can also with provide you with:
- your own personal mentor, so that you don't have to realy on UDFAs to teach you your position.
- a head coach that will only pump sunshine about your injury prognosis and not rely on team doctors to give him timeframes for your return.
- a fan base that never boos their home team and rejoices when starters are pulled willy-nilly in the midst of extended losing streaks.
Old 12-12-2013   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Good luck to Tate wherever he lands...unless it's in our division. Sorry, steel blue runs deep in my veins.

But dude wants to be paid while he's still a viable commodity. I don't have a problem with that perspective. And regardless of what the owner says or wants us to believe, 2014 is a rebuild of sorts. Just hitting the off-season without a HC and starting QB, much less all the other holes to fill, is a type of rebuild. Tate should not have to wait around but instead find a team that needs a plug and play RB. If I was him, I'd look for a team like the Patriots, Saints, Packers, Broncos, who are already winning and he can take advantage of the next 2-3 years to contribute.

I feel the same toward Tate as I do DeMeco. All the best to these guys.
Old 12-12-2013   #17
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

It was a bad situation for Ben all the way around with the Texans after he was drafted. First the injury that initially IRed him and then the ascension of Foster, which was certainly a good thing for Arian and certainly also the Texans, but not for Ben. I'm wishing him the best in the future as long as he secures an opportunity with a non AFC South franchise.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude's not even the better RB with Arian on IR, imo. To me, he seems indecisive at times which makes him slower to hit the running lane or cutback. DJ's small and raw, but he's very quick and knows where he wants to go. Albeit, not always correct, but he's a rook.

Let Tate go into FA, keep DJ and pick someone else up via draft to be Arian's successor
Old 12-12-2013   #19
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 143833 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

The texans FO needs to ask itself 'which injury prone RB do we want to continue with?

I don't think he's un appreciated here. I just think he can't admit to himself that Forster is just better. I'd like to keep him but if I were him Id look for good payday because the shelf life is running out.
Old 12-12-2013   #20
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

nothing unexpected about the piece.

hes playing because its his contract year
he didnt play with the hammy because it wasnt his contract year
players and backups dont want each other taking their jobs
wants to get paid, will go to highest bidder
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read