Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199937 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Looks like Blackout Rule May be OTD

Finally, something fan-friendly and less likely to hold fans hostage to seeing their home team play for bucks they can't afford.

Quote:
The NFL is not having a very good couple of days.

In an op-ed written for USA Today, Federal Communications Commission chairman Tom Wheeler said that the agency would vote on Sept. 30 to kill the television blackout rule which the league has fought to protect.

“With the first weekend of professional football in the books, two things should be abundantly clear,” Wheeler wrote. “The NFL is king; and the Federal Communication Commission’s sports blackout rules are obsolete and have to go.”

Blackout rules were instituted in 1975 to drive fans off their couches in front of free television and to the games with a paid ticket.

But only two games were blacked out last year, and the NFL is raking in television money hand-over-fist, so the need to government intervention seems a bit outdated.

That’s Wheeler’s stance, and he pounded the drum on behalf of fans in Green Bay, Cincinnati and Indianapolis, who nearly missed out on playoff games on TV when ticket sales lagged.

“The bottom line is the NFL no longer needs the government’s help to remain viable,” Wheeler wrote. “And we at the FCC shouldn’t be complicit in preventing sports fans from watching their favorite teams on TV. It’s time to sack the sports blackout rules for good.”

The league has fought to protect the rules, as it helps protect their investments. But a time when they’re working to convince fans to come to the stadium, the stick of a television blackout might be going away.
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
atomictelephone
Rookie

Rep Power: 5744 atomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respectedatomictelephone is a quality contributor and well respected

If that actually happens this would be huge. The blackout rule never made any sense to me anyway and with the FCC continuing to get out of wanting to regulate as many things as it has historically this makes perfect sense and is good for the fans.
atomictelephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand
Default Re: Looks like Blackout Rule May be OTD

For the life of me last weekend I could not get any help to get the Texans broadcast in NYC, due to the blackout and Fox Sports.

I ended up picking up the illegal stream.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard on the radio that only two games were blacked out last season. This is an antiquated rule and should be abolished accordingly.
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
qqert
Veteran

Rep Power: 10591 qqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respected

this i can support, and an open internet.
bring back tormail !!
qqert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

The unintended consequence could be pay-per-view. The greed of the NFL knows no bounds.

They're like the thief that just robbed a person and saw a $5 bill fly out of the wallet as he was fleeing. In his eyes he just "lost" five bucks.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
The unintended consequence could be pay-per-view. The greed of the NFL knows no bounds.

They're like the thief that just robbed a person and saw a $5 bill fly out of the wallet as he was fleeing. In his eyes he just "lost" five bucks.
Sadly, if I have to do pay-per-view to watch NFL games I'll probably be done.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
You and me both.
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
No probably here. Pay equals NO VIEW.
New fan of #21 Kendrick Lewis
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't know why pay per view is even a topic. They are making billions and billions off TV as is. As DB pointed out this affects almost nothing ticket sales wise. It actually means more people get to see the games so the adspace is more valuable.

The sky isn't falling.
Old 1 Week Ago   #11
Showtime100
Got AJ?

If you are telling me you can't see the NFL going pay-per-view in the future, for whatever reason, you are kidding yourself.
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
If you are telling me you can't see the NFL going pay-per-view in the future, for whatever reason, you are kidding yourself.
They already are, in a way, with NFL Ticket.

But, with public financed stadiums and the threat of congress with the tax exempt status, I do not see it going full blown pay-per-view anytime soon.
Old 1 Week Ago   #13
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40389 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
They already are, in a way, with NFL Ticket.

But, with public financed stadiums and the threat of congress with the tax exempt status, I do not see it going full blown pay-per-view anytime soon.
There would be a tremendous decline in viewership if they went PPV and off over the air networks. Unless there was a shift in how TV and sports on TV work overall, I don't see this happening any time soon.

What they might do, is make it available PPV online, separate from your TV subscription, but I don't think DirecTV would be too happy about that.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL won't go to strictly pay for view, it would be suicide. There will always be NFL over free air. There are way to many fans that can't afford tickets anyway, and that TV ad revenue is big.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
There would be a tremendous decline in viewership if they went PPV and off over the air networks. Unless there was a shift in how TV and sports on TV work overall, I don't see this happening any time soon.

What they might do, is make it available PPV online, separate from your TV subscription, but I don't think DirecTV would be too happy about that.
I agree. Just look at the multi-billion dollar deals they sign with networks. That's a guaranteed revenue stream that cannot be replaced with pay-per-view.

I think they will evolve the NFL Ticket type thing to augment the existing systems with networks.
Old 1 Week Ago   #16
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 55244 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sunday ticket is as close to ppv as it gets. I think they will just keep doing what they do, maybe convert all games to sunday ticket and up the price. Greedy ****s
Old 1 Week Ago   #17
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40389 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Sunday ticket is as close to ppv as it gets. I think they will just keep doing what they do, maybe convert all games to sunday ticket and up the price. Greedy ****s
But why do that when the networks pay you BILLIONS. Now way could that revenue be replaced by sunday ticket sales.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #18
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 55244 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
But why do that when the networks pay you BILLIONS. Now way could that revenue be replaced by sunday ticket sales.
Pretty sure DTV paid like 4 billion, now you get rid of cbs, espn and fox and ONLY show games on dtv sunday ticket, you could charge crazy amounts of money. It would suck for consumers, but the nfl clearly doesn't care about the fans
Old 1 Week Ago   #19
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmmm,

Raiders & Jaguars invest in high pick QBs and the blackout rule goes away...
Old 1 Week Ago   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

This is the sort of thing I point to whenever someone gets too far down the road on a rant against big business and how government needs to rein them in. Government all to often is complicit in decisions that help business at the detriment of the public - in this case, the blackout rules, which were put in place by the government specifically to force the public to buy tickets of they wanted to watch the game. Government has no place in that process. Of course, we also have the stadium deals, taxes to pay the owners, etc.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read