Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 4 Days Ago   #1
Texanator
Rabid Brahma

Rep Power: 984 Texanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Replays on hits to the head?

Is it time the NFL has a replay system set up for shots to the head calls?
I hate to drag the game out any farther, but we seem to get a ton of these calls and replay seems to almost always show them to be in error.
The Wes Welker hit is a perfect example.
Call me paranoid or a conspiracy theorist, but I'm sick of the BS calls the Texans get all the time and if they are going to enforce penalties for head shots, they need to be sure it happened in the first place.

You mess with the Bull, you get the horn!
Texanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #2
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 126226 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Replays on hits to the head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanator View Post
Is it time the NFL has a replay system set up for shots to the head calls?
I hate to drag the game out any farther, but we seem to get a ton of these calls and replay seems to almost always show them to be in error.
The Wes Welker hit is a perfect example.
Call me paranoid or a conspiracy theorist, but I'm sick of the BS calls the Texans get all the time and if they are going to enforce penalties for head shots, they need to be sure it happened in the first place.
I'd be for that. Considering the game-changing nature of the sentencing phase of the crime, both in terms of yardage and automatic 1st downs, and the inevitable fine/suspension after the fact I think it would be a good thing.

Speaking of automatic 1st downs, they need to go away.

I don't know if you listen to much sportstalk radio, but the eastern press is predictably trashing Swearinger for the hit. Ridiculous.
Old 4 Days Ago   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
... the eastern press is predictably trashing Swearinger for the hit. Ridiculous.
Except for this Patriots beat writer...

Curran: Manning has to share blame for Welker concussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanator View Post
Is it time the NFL has a replay system set up for shots to the head calls?...
No for me.

It's not about intent. If it's a headshot it's a penalty.
Old 4 Days Ago   #4
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 126226 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Except for this Patriots beat writer...

Curran: Manning has to share blame for Welker concussion

No for me.

It's not about intent. If it's a headshot it's a penalty.
Cool article. Thanks. As for "intent" you make a very good point. I, for one, wish they would revisit the rule and make it all about intent or no intent.

This is football, heads are going to get hit. (see all the zero's in weekly NFL paychecks).
Old 4 Days Ago   #5
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116440 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no problems w the refs throwing that flag, the league should review it. I also believe league HQ should be the one reviewing on field calls to ensure accuracy, not the crews that just made the call.

Swearinger's intent was not a head shot, Welker balling up moved the target at the last minute. If intent is to be called, and not actual hit area, then Swearinger would not have been flagged.

My 2 cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #6
Kgbmedic
M1 Tanker

Rep Power: 3435 Kgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respectedKgbmedic is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the defensive player should be penalized if the running puts his head down into the strike area. The man clearly went in with his shoulder and he was going lower than where welkers head was coming into the contact.

Welker brings his head down at the last minute, then gets hit there, that shouldn't be on the defensive guy. Offensive guy needs to take his lick and move on or else put his head off to the side if he wants to curl into a ball before the hit.
Kgbmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #7
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgbmedic View Post
I don't think the defensive player should be penalized if the running puts his head down into the strike area. The man clearly went in with his shoulder and he was going lower than where welkers head was coming into the contact.

Welker brings his head down at the last minute, then gets hit there, that shouldn't be on the defensive guy. Offensive guy needs to take his lick and move on or else put his head off to the side if he wants to curl into a ball before the hit.
It is not a concern of whether it is a foul or not by the rules set out by the NFL it is . But it is here that I have an issue , the NFL is all in on protecting players from head shots , right ? If a defensive player leads with his helmet it is a penalty , but if an offensive player does the same it is not ? Truth is Welker was not ducking he was spearing with his helmet in an effort to force his tackler to avoid him .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 3 Days Ago   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
It is not a concern of whether it is a foul or not by the rules set out by the NFL it is . But it is here that I have an issue , the NFL is all in on protecting players from head shots , right ? If a defensive player leads with his helmet it is a penalty , but if an offensive player does the same it is not ? Truth is Welker was not ducking he was spearing with his helmet in an effort to force his tackler to avoid him .
Offensive players can get flagged too.
Old 3 Days Ago   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
But they rarely get flagged and I've never seen a WR get flagged. Since the concussion lawsuit has been resolved, I don't understand why they cant get the players to sign a waiver regarding concussion issues and get back to playing real football. Instead of the AFL version that God'ell is turning NFL football into.

Under the current rules I'm all for replaying hits to the head. This will make it harder for the God'ell to rig games. (See the tuck rule)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #10
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 59425 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
yeah didn't they put that in last year about backs lowering their shoulders and using their helmets to truck defenders?

I do not remember it ever being enforced cause I saw backs plowing over DBs coming through the line...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #11
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33993 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If the player ducks and creates the hit to the head it shouldn't be a penalty. I wouldn't mind extra time spent on replay if they could get it right. In many cases I think they could, and should judge based on intent.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
yeah didn't they put that in last year about backs lowering their shoulders and using their helmets to truck defenders?

I do not remember it ever being enforced cause I saw backs plowing over DBs coming through the line...
I saw it called a few (5-6) times last year around the league. And during an early game there was some discussion whether Foster should have been called for one.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read