Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-12-2005   #21
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

It is better to be sacked than to throw an interception or get a penalty
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #22
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59723 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
It is better to avoid the rush, pump fake then hit the open receiver for a td than thrown an INT or get sacked. Bret Favre does it all the time. LOL
Old 07-12-2005   #23
Fldvldog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
It is better to avoid the rush, pump fake then hit the open receiver for a td than thrown an INT or get sacked. Bret Favre does it all the time. LOL

Favre is one of the best at it...
Fldvldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #24
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I honestly like both QB's equally. If I was starting a team and I had to choose b/w the two I'd simply close my eyes and throw a dart. I think both are higly competitive, and higly capable of being the franchise as they are proving to be. I'm a Texan fan all day but I'm not going to deny the future greatness of Leftwich. I just hope our TEAM is better than his.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #25
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar

And of course if the TD isn't there it's better to get outside the tackles and throw it into the third row before running out of bounds and hanging another sack on your line. They already do a good enough job of piling them up without help from the QB.
Old 07-12-2005   #26
Fldvldog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
I honestly like both QB's equally. If I was starting a team and I had to choose b/w the two I'd simply close my eyes and throw a dart. I think both are higly competitive, and higly capable of being the franchise as they are proving to be. I'm a Texan fan all day but I'm not going to deny the future greatness of Leftwich. I just hope our TEAM is better than his.
That is nice to hear -- especially from a Texan fan...
Old 07-13-2005   #27
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsfanincanada
Of course you will all take Carr, you are all Texans fans.

At least Leftwich can beat Manning.
Sandwhich did not beat Payaton. This is a team sport. The wins and losses do not hang on a single person. I am sure if you reflect on that win you will see it was a team effort. Persoanlly I think your backup can be as good as leftwich at times.

Here are the stats for that game. Manning had a better day than your QB, but he lost. The Jags were just better that day.

stats

I am sorry if I am being a little rude, but I can't stand to see somebody say one QB beat another QB. :brickwall
Old 07-13-2005   #28
Fldvldog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
Sandwhich did not beat Payaton. This is a team sport. The wins and losses do not hang on a single person. I am sure if you reflect on that win you will see it was a team effort. Persoanlly I think your backup can be as good as leftwich at times.

Here are the stats for that game. Manning had a better day than your QB, but he lost. The Jags were just better that day.

stats

I am sorry if I am being a little rude, but I can't stand to see somebody say one QB beat another QB. :brickwall
Really? Because I endlessly hear from numerous Texan fans how "David Carr beat the Jags." I know there are some Texan fans with some sense in them, but some of them... :brickwall
Old 07-17-2005   #29
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Yes we all know its a team sport but let's be real here most victories are always associated with the QB.

I mean someone will say Dan Marino has the best winning % of any qb not Anthony Munoz has the best winning % of any OL.

The qb's are the pretty boys and get all the credit (and all the blame.)
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005   #30
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

carr had a pretty solid season last year, of course he has room for improvment but he will only get better.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #31
Jagsbch
Veteran

Rep Power: 47 Jagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Gaffney lead the Texans in YPC (yes, more than Andre Johnson), had the longest pass play from scrimmage last year, and Carr threw to Gaffney 21 times on third down in 2004 and completed each pass for a first down. Some of Gaffney's lack of production comes out of the fact that Carr isn't one of the better QB's at scanning the field and reading defenses and will look to his primary too long and just dump the ball off to Dom. If you really break down Carr's passes over the 4 years he has always had trouble identifying his mid-read options. His rookie year was all Bradford (first read) and Billy Miller (last read - safety valve at that time). Not much in the middle then either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
I know several of you have stats for 'everything' so how about letting
us no how many sacks were Carr's fault last year because--

1) runs out of bounds behind line of scrimage (counts as a sack in the
NFL) instead of throwing the ball away
2) holds on to the ball too long
3) weak at reading defense--looks primarily for 1st read and then check
valve
4) bales out of the pocket at the first sign of pressure

...thanks!
The thing I like most about Byron is his composure in the pocket. His ability to hit more WR''s week in and week out than any QB in the league, reveals just how astute Byron is at scanning the field and being able to read coverages knowing how all of his WR's routes will unfold in the coverage, while simultaneouly being able to throw inbetween three defenders with pin point accuracy as well as some of the hottest velocity in the league. Last year Byron was surrounded by up and coming rookies, bang up trenches, ball and chain scheme and not to mention a concusion during the last Texan game... this year those rookies are looking to emerge. Jimmy said this is the best group of WR's this team has ever had.

Don't count Matt Jones out, oh and furthermore our defense is going to really go a long way in helping us gain the time of possession neccessary to rack up some decent stats this year. I go with Byron and not look back.
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #32
TommyS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
I honestly like both QB's equally. If I was starting a team and I had to choose b/w the two I'd simply close my eyes and throw a dart. .
cross your eyes and throw a dart and you're bound to hit leftwich coz he's one BIG S.O.B.

I just saw the EA QB challenge on CBS this weekend (my cable will be installed for the start of preseason...) and thats one fat-*** looking QB.
TommyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #33
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsbch
The thing I like most about Byron is his composure in the pocket. His ability to hit more WR''s week in and week out than any QB in the league, reveals just how astute Byron is at scanning the field and being able to read coverages knowing how all of his WR's routes will unfold in the coverage, while simultaneouly being able to throw inbetween three defenders with pin point accuracy as well as some of the hottest velocity in the league...
Wow, hard to believe Leftwich didn't make All Pro after that description. I'm still trying to determine how an astute, pinpoint accurate QB like Byron finished behind David Carr in completion % and yards/pass. If he's hitting more WR's than any QB in the league, week in and week out, wouldn't Leftwich have ranked higher than 18th in completion %?
Old 07-18-2005   #34
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I had Leftwich in front of Carr before last year but when we played the Jags the contrast in the two QB's was stark and I think Carr has much more upside now. Bottom line is I think Leftwich will be another Bledsoe. Big, strong-armed guy who is easy to hit in the pocket and needs a great line because he can't move. Unlike guys like Dan Marino, Leftwich has a slower release and that hurts him as a pocket only type QB.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #35
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
yes and maybe
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #36
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69728 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Wow, hard to believe Leftwich didn't make All Pro after that description. I'm still trying to determine how an astute, pinpoint accurate QB like Byron finished behind David Carr in completion % and yards/pass. If he's hitting more WR's than any QB in the league, week in and week out, wouldn't Leftwich have ranked higher than 18th in completion %?
Thank you, for a second there, I thought he was talking about Peyton Manning.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #37
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsfanincanada
Of course you will all take Carr, you are all Texans fans.

At least Leftwich can beat Manning.
yall's defense is better...at least yall can pass rush. overall, david owns byron

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read