Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-27-2013   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Back to the Future

Silly exercise, but my brain works that way sometimes. If you could go forward in time 30 years and grab one of those sports almanacs like from the movie and come back to 2013, of course you'd start betting and get rich. Not part of the exercise. But if you knew because of this, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that the Texans were not going to win (or even go to) the Super Bowl in the next 30 years, and no idea after that, would you still be a Texans fan? And if so, how dedicated a fan would you be?
Old 10-27-2013   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Back to the Future

Denial. I'd just refuse to believe it. I'm a strong willed person (aka hard-headed), so I'd be even more fanatical, dead set on the future being wrong.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Denial. I'd just refuse to believe it. I'm a strong willed person (aka hard-headed), so I'd be even more fanatical, dead set on the future being wrong.
You should read "When Prophecy Fails" by Leon Festinger.
Old 10-27-2013   #4
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 27237 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

It wouldn't matter what team you rooted for in that circumstance. If you knew the outcome the excitement is gone, it becomes a story and not a sport.

If I had a sports almanacs from the future it wouldn't matter if the Texans didn't have a winning season over the next thirty years or made every playoff and won 8 Superbowls thru 2043. Knowing the outcome has impact either way.
Old 10-27-2013   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a fair weather fan... or as Dread would say, a bandwagon muff-hugga.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
But if you knew because of this, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that the Texans were not going to win (or even go to) the Super Bowl in the next 30 years, and no idea after that, would you still be a Texans fan? And if so, how dedicated a fan would you be?
When I started with this franchise, in 2002, I knew then it was a longshot to ever win a Super Bowl. Granted, I was not as die-hard as many of you were at the time.

When I bought my season tickets in 2006, it wasn't because I thought they were going to win a Super Bowl in the next 5 or 6 years. It was because I identified with the team & I love football.

As long as they're competitive & in the play-offs more often than not, I'd still feel good about my investment. I've got a pretty good "football family" we don't hunt or fish, or any of that stuff. We get together on the weekends & watch football. We eat, drink, have fun & what not..... football is at the center of all that. For me it's the Texans, for my Brothers, sisters, in-laws, etc... it's another team, but we all get together & have fun with it.

If the Texans win the Super Bowl in the next 10 years, they'll be the only expansion team in the "modern era" to have done so (unless one of those teams, Carolina, Jacksonville, Cleveland, do it in that time).
Old 10-27-2013   #7
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

wouldn't happen because I would make billions betting on the winners, offer McNair a price he couldn't refuse and buy the team myself and build a championship team...

That's if the NFL owners would allow me to own a team because I won my billion on betting, and betting is not permissible in the NFL, so they would say no to my proposal, thus sending the Texans into a 30 year drought of never winning a Super Bowl and me with my billion I got all because of that stupid almanac...

Screw you Doc Brown and your infernal time machine...

wait... what was the question?

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-27-2013   #8
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

After about 10 yrs. of betting and winning all the other sporting events you'd have enough money to buy the Texans and change their course of history. Yes I'd still be a fan. It's not all about the outcome, alot of the fun is the journey.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #9
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20085 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Silly exercise, but my brain works that way sometimes. If you could go forward in time 30 years and grab one of those sports almanacs like from the movie and come back to 2013, of course you'd start betting and get rich. Not part of the exercise. But if you knew because of this, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that the Texans were not going to win (or even go to) the Super Bowl in the next 30 years, and no idea after that, would you still be a Texans fan? And if so, how dedicated a fan would you be?
I would still be a fan bc I don't care about winning, rather I care about the valuation of the franchise
Old 10-28-2013   #10
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102457 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If they were to NEVER win another game i would still be a fan. Are wins and loses important ? Sure they are.

But for me it is more than that, to me the texans represent more than football, more than the score on Sunday. They represent the only connection i have left of my father who committed suicide in 2005. He was a Texans fan and we watched all the games together.

Every time i see them out on the field on Sundays it makes me feel close to him again. So as much as i would love to see them win a SB, it isnt about that for me.
Old 10-28-2013   #11
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 24103 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be a fan as long as watching games is fun for me.

Of course I will stick with the team if they hit a rough patch, but if we talk about a 10year span of suckyness I think I most likely start follow more closely one of the other teams I like.

I highly doubt I would become as huge a fan as I am for the texans now tho.

I won't buy any team merchandise and I will always be watching back to the texans hoping that one day they will come back to entertain me.

I don't feel I am a bandwagon fan because my goal is not to root for the winning team, but to root for a team that entertain me.

I'm not from texas so I don't have any bond to the city itself, this team is the first and only I followed in my life tho, so it's hard to abandon it.

So yes, even if I knew that the texans wouldn't make it to the SB for the next 30 years I would still watch the games as long as it's fun, and I would be the best fan I can be from over here.
Old 10-28-2013   #12
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Knowing what would happen over the next 30 years - whether that meant no Super Bowls or 5 or 10 Super Bowls would pretty much ruin it for me.

A big part of the fun and enjoyment of being a fan is not knowing what's going to happen. Whether that's the entire week leading up to a playoff game, or whether it's the 30 seconds waiting for your team to run a play from the 3 yard line trailing by 4 points with 7 second left in the game.

Knowing the ultimate result - whether good or bad - would change the dynamic too much to make being a fan anything like it is now.
Old 10-28-2013   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 259834 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Knowing the Texans would never be in a super bowl in my life time would end my NFL watching days. I'm not a sports fan at all. I don't give a $hit about baseball, basketball (although I used to LOVE basketball watching) or anything else. If Houston has an NFL team, I'll watch, if not, I won't. But not if I knew before hand they'd never amount to anything. I'm just not that interested in watching sports on TV. Frankly, most of it's boring to me.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #14
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 134946 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston is my hometown and that's the biggest reason I root for the Texans. I will dance with the one that brought me, even if she moves like molasses and hurts herself when she steps on my toes.
Old 10-28-2013   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
wouldn't happen because I would make billions betting on the winners, offer McNair a price he couldn't refuse and buy the team myself and build a championship team...

That's if the NFL owners would allow me to own a team because I won my billion on betting, and betting is not permissible in the NFL, so they would say no to my proposal, thus sending the Texans into a 30 year drought of never winning a Super Bowl and me with my billion I got all because of that stupid almanac...

Hopefully you would become the owner, because obviously you would be a winner and that would be a change for this org.

It would be nice to have ownership whose main goal was to do everything possible to try to win a Lombardi.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
I would still be a fan bc I don't care about winning, rather I care about the valuation of the franchise
Cant tell if serious?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251514 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

If I knew the outcome of all the games/seasons over the next 30 years I think it would take pretty much all the fun out of it. Since we're talking about a "Sports Almanac" and not just a specific book on the Texans I think it would probably ruin any enjoyment I had in sports in general. I'd probably just go find something else to do.

Knowing would screw everything up. I don't want to know what's going to happen.
Old 10-28-2013   #18
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87860 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd probably get the Texans logo tattoo I have covered-up but I'd still watch every game.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #19
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I sort of already decided we won't win one in the next 10. Later we may have a new owner and Kubiak will be gone.

But since this is a whimsical thread, how stupid was getting picked off 1st base last night? You're down 2 runs, nobody else is on, and it's the 9th inning. Your run doesn't mean anything unless another one scores behind it, in which case you score automatically. There are 2 outs, so you can't even say you want to reach 2nd base fast enough to prevent a double play. There is NOTHING to be gained by taking a chance.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #20
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post

I like this plan.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read