Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-25-2013   #21
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 22174 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3 NFL Games in London in 2014?

I recall that when the Vikings played a few weeks ago, their next week was a bye. I didn't look up the team that they played to see if that was the case with them as well.

I look at the teams playing in another country as marketing a quality product. If players began to show concern about the schedule, I will rethink my opinon.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #22
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
I recall that when the Vikings played a few weeks ago, their next week was a bye. I didn't look up the team that they played to see if that was the case with them as well.

I look at the teams playing in another country as marketing a quality product. If players began to show concern about the schedule, I will rethink my opinon.
The team they played was Pittsburgh and they also were on a bye the following week. The two teams that play in London this week (SF/Jac) have byes next week.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #23
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Curious why the nfl is pushing this.cheaper to play there than LA? Stadium hold more people in london than LA.
Also not sure about the dollar to pounds conversion rate

Just throwing out la. It could be mexico city (security be ok there)

Canada? Piss off their league play?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #24
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53447 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Musicians and actors often travel several DAYS before a show. That gives them time to adjust. Businessmen also build in two or three days to adjust to jet lag.

Football players put their bodies on the line. This is a physical sport. Flying in and out of the United Kingdom is not going to work if you have to turn around, take ANOTHER long flight, and then get home, rest, and preparing for the following weeks game.

Also, because of the jet stream, flights FROM the Europe TO the United States are often a few hours long. Houston to Paris, for example, is 8 hours. Paris to Houston, by contrast, is 11 hours.

Also, regarding flying NY to San Diego: when you do that you are gaining 3 hours. And players aren't in San Diego long enough to adjust to the time difference, so jet lag is not as much a factor.

When you fly to Europe, however, you are losing 6 or 7 hours. That's why most flights to Europe leave the US at night: so they can arrive in England first thing in the morning (and, so they can allow US passengers to connect on later outbound flights).

A team in London will never happen.

There is not a 3 hour difference flying from Paris to houston vs houston to Paris. It's about 9 1/2 from houston to Paris and 10 3/4 from Paris. Let's not make up a 3 hour difference
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #25
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bob McNair, Jim Isray and the next Titans own will not let that happen. Such a move would mean THEIR players and staff would have brutal travel schedules. Nope. Won't happen.

And: Jerry Jones is the Big Dog in the NFL. What he says goes. McNair is in good with Jones, and would simply tell Jerry to lobby against such a move.
One game a year in London for the division teams guaranteed. Then 5 other teams will also have to make the trip each year, and those teams will vary. It's really not that big of a deal.

Jacksonville is a ****ty city, with a ****ty following, ****ty revenue streams currently, and it's not going to improve any time soon. London is a brand new market, with millions of new fans, and it might entice the rest of the continent to start watching. That revenue alone would outweigh another failed LA team. I think Goodell wants to open up this market, and I think he wants this to be part of his legacy as commish. It makes a lot more sense than Canada or Mexico, the UK is much more lucrative.
Old 10-25-2013   #26
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36745 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
One game a year in London for the division teams guaranteed. Then 5 other teams will also have to make the trip each year, and those teams will vary. It's really not that big of a deal.

Jacksonville is a ****ty city, with a ****ty following, ****ty revenue streams currently, and it's not going to improve any time soon. London is a brand new market, with millions of new fans, and it might entice the rest of the continent to start watching. That revenue alone would outweigh another failed LA team. I think Goodell wants to open up this market, and I think he wants this to be part of his legacy as commish. It makes a lot more sense than Canada or Mexico, the UK is much more lucrative.
They also have a stadium in place in London. Toronto and Mexico City would have to build one. Rogers Centre is not large enough, and Azteca would easily be the worst stadium in the NFL if they put a team in Mexico.

Compared to LA I think a team in London has a better chance of being a regional team than a team in LA. A fourth team in California really only brings the LA market. London would bring all of the UK. Britain is small enough that fans could come from across the country for games.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 222056 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
They also have a stadium in place in London. Toronto and Mexico City would have to build one. Rogers Centre is not large enough, and Azteca would easily be the worst stadium in the NFL if they put a team in Mexico.
Mexico City would not have to build a new stadium. They have a 105k stadium with almost 1000 suites. Renovations to that would be fine.

And frankly so what if it isn't typical US opulence? Only Canada of the options being discussed would draw a significant visiting fan population. It won't be a typical US audience.

I don't think London is insurmountable but I think you and Dutch are (a) being flippant about the travel inconvenience and (b) over estimating the interest/revenue in London. The only country which took to NFL Europe was Germany. In England American football is a novelty. In Mexico it has an enthusiastic audience.
Old 10-26-2013   #28
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 12708 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
There is not a 3 hour difference flying from Paris to houston vs houston to Paris. It's about 9 1/2 from houston to Paris and 10 3/4 from Paris. Let's not make up a 3 hour difference
I have done this trip twice. I know how long it takes.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #29
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 12708 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post

Are you aware of how close Houston is to Mexico City? The flight down there from here is laughable. Hell, Denver, LA, San Diego, and other cities West of here would be even closer.

Mexico is a MUCH more viable market than the United Kingdom, financially and logistically.

Also: Goddell wants his legacy to be 1) Dealing with the concussion issue and player safety and 2) Getting a team in Los Angeles.

London is a novelty. Nothing more.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #30
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36745 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Mexico City would not have to build a new stadium. They have a 105k stadium with almost 1000 suites. Renovations to that would be fine.

And frankly so what if it isn't typical US opulence? Only Canada of the options being discussed would draw a significant visiting fan population. It won't be a typical US audience.

I don't think London is insurmountable but I think you and Dutch are (a) being flippant about the travel inconvenience and (b) over estimating the interest/revenue in London. The only country which took to NFL Europe was Germany. In England American football is a novelty. In Mexico it has an enthusiastic audience.
I'm not opposed to games in Mexico or Germany, but I think you are underselling the UK. 1.3 million Brits watched the Super Bowl pregame show on BBC in 2011 despite it coming on at midnight (I can't find any reports for the game ratings themselves), compared to 1.23 million Germans who watched last year's game (admittedly it aired even later there).

Let's keep things in perspective. The NFL has played at least one game in London every year since 2007. They have played a total of 16 NFL games in London (seven regular season and nine preseason). Berlin has hosted four games, none since 1994. They played seven total games in Mexico - one was regular season (Tokyo has hosted nearly twice as many games) They haven't played a game in Mexico (or anywhere other than Canada or England) since 2005:

Quote:
The N.F.L. also held a regular-season game in Mexico City in 2005 that drew more than 103,000 fans to Estadio Azteca, but the league has not returned, reportedly because the stadium is considered inadequate.
Azteca doesn't come anywhere close to Wembley, the host Stadium of the 2012 Olympics. Roger Goodell has openly discussed hosting the Super Bowl in London..They have already tried to become a permanent tenant at Wembley once. I don't think it's flippant or over estimating in the least to say the NFL considers London a far more attractive candidate:

Quote:
Eric Grubman, the league's Executive Vice President of Business Ventures, addressed the teams as part of the International Committee presentation at the meeting less than two weeks ago, and spoke in certain terms about the desire to have a team in London, sources said, with numerous attendees leaving the meeting with the impression this initiative will result in a team moving to London more quickly than owners had previously imagined.

“Grubman pretty much flat-out said, ‘We want to have a team in London -- our goal is to get a team there and make this happen,'” said one source who was present for the meeting. “It didn't sound like an if, we took it as a when.”

Said another source at the meeting: “I don't even know why they call it the International Committee. They should just call it the London Committee. It's pretty obvious everything is geared to the U.K. and, really, Wembley Stadium. I left that meeting thinking this isn't 20 years away, this is happening in five to 10 years. The league is really behind this.”

Last edited by Dan B.; 10-26-2013 at 03:41 AM.
Old 10-26-2013   #31
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Ashling O’Connor: Over-hyped and over here - why NFL’s invasion is a cover-up for a cry for help
Old 10-26-2013   #32
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53447 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have done this trip twice. I know how long it takes.
You must have flown different aircraft on each leg. There isn't a 3 hour difference no matter how many times you've said you've done it
Old 10-26-2013   #33
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 222056 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Good lord, why argue over something so easy to look up?

United Airlines non-stop"
Intercontinental to Heathrow 9 hours 25 min.
Heathrow to Intercontinental 10 hours 45 min.
So 1 hour 20 min. longer to US.
Old 10-26-2013   #34
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The Super Bowl attracted 4.3m across the BBC and Sky. Compare that with the 2010 World Cup final, which was watched by 24m people in the US.
I saw that 4m figure from the NFL somewhere last night but I didn't cite it because that seemed too high. That would mean 7% of the country stayed up to watch a game in the dead of night in Great Britain, compared to 7.5% of the US that watched the World Cup (btw held quadrennially not annually) at 2:30 EST in the US.
Old 10-26-2013   #35
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Good lord, why argue over something so easy to look up?

United Airlines non-stop"
Intercontinental to Heathrow 9 hours 25 min.
Heathrow to Intercontinental 10 hours 45 min.
So 1 hour 20 min. longer to US.

I looked it up before I posted the first time to verify but when I went to turkey earlier this year is was an hour and change longer on the way back so I knew 3 was well off
Old 10-26-2013   #36
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Jags moved to London, you can't keep them in a South division any more, right? I mean, London is further north than every Canadian team but one. Move them to the AFC East and Miami to the AFC South. Those AFC East teams (Buf, NYJ, NE) are a couple of hours closer and the Texans wouldn't have to make that trip every year.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #37
Wolf
100% Texan

Think I read somewhere that roger is hell bent on LA and or London

Kinda not an If but a when ..tone
Old 10-26-2013   #38
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

It will happen eventually whether we like it or not

London has sold our every game. Mexico City isn't even a consideration so I don't know why anyone's even talking about it

Nfl Europe is meaningless. Of course no one cared about it. How many of you watch the mlb minor league games? I wouldn't watch an nfl Europe team if they were the only teams I had access to either. Inferior played, limited marketing, poor play, very low stakes.
Old 10-26-2013   #39
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Think I read somewhere that roger is hell bent on LA and or London

Kinda not an If but a when ..tone
It could've been this article posted earlier today on PFT.

Quote:
With the NFL eyeballing a return to Los Angeles and expansion to London, Commissioner Roger Goodell addressed for the first time his preferred pecking order.

“I want both, but it doesn’t matter which one is first,” Goodell told a forum of European NFL fans, via Bill Williamson of ESPN.com.
LINK
Old 10-26-2013   #40
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
If the Jags moved to London, you can't keep them in a South division any more, right? I mean, London is further north than every Canadian team but one. Move them to the AFC East and Miami to the AFC South. Those AFC East teams (Buf, NYJ, NE) are a couple of hours closer and the Texans wouldn't have to make that trip every year.
If it happens, I wouldn't count on anything. The Cardinals existed in the NFC East from 1988 (The year they relocated to Arizona) until 2002 even though there was only one team in the entire NFC that was further west than they were.

The NFL's hand was finally forced when on the heels of the Ravens/Browns addition, the creation of the Texans made a two conference/six division league no longer feasible.

Who knows what would actually happen, but to say a relocated Jaguar franchise would absolutely have to result in a re-allignment (even a minor one) probably isn't the case.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read