Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-24-2013   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Lets get back the Oilers

I think it would be nice to do something in honor of BumPhillips' passing. But since he's an "Oiler" I doubt we'll be able to, no matter how much since it makes.

I'd be frustrated as a player, knowing how much it would mean to my coach.
Old 10-24-2013   #22
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

meh.....spilt milk and all that.

I've spent a long lifetime following the Oilers and now the Texans. I don't care if the Titans own the Oilers history, I still love Earl and Bum and all the others. This is akin to the thread about trading AJ to another team and being more loyal to the player than to the team.

The Texans represent Houston. The Titans represent Tennessee. Spilt milk, water under the bridge and all those other clichés are appropriate here.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #23
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I think it's laughable that anyone in Tennessee thinks the Oilers are their history. Doesn't bother me, though. They can have most of it anyway.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #24
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42267 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Would love to, but TN simply won't let it happen.

After all, they have such a long and storied NFL history..

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #25
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfan96 View Post
Because the colts didn't change their name.... They are still the Colts.
It would be great to look at a "ring of honor" and see the names of Mike Munchiak, Ken Houston, George Blanda, Earl Campbell and Mr. Warren Moon, but the Oilers are NFL history. They ceased to be. It was a great era in which to be alive, but we can't go back. Houston belongs to the Texans now.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #26
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
It would be great to look at a "ring of honor" and see the names of Mike Munchiak, Ken Houston, George Blanda, Earl Campbell and Mr. Warren Moon, but the Oilers...
...were stolen from us and there's nothing we can do about it. It was nice knowing he had to fly 750 miles to attend a "home" game. He was pretty much shunned in his circles here in Houston. His "friends" were all on his payroll. And he became a bitter old man who lived and died alone.

But the history is here in Houston -- he can't steal that.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #27
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I was a huge Oiler fan back in the day but that day has long ago past. Former Oilers who want to embrace the city have no problems being accommodated by the Texans from what I can see. Let possum holler keep the name for all I care.
Old 10-24-2013   #28
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
So why didn't Indy give the rights of the Colts back to Baltimore?

I mean, they didn't do it, so why should the Titans?
Because the Colts remained the Colts when they moved. The Titans voluntarily changed their name from Oilers.

The Cleveland Browns became the Baltimore Ravens and the new team in Cleveland called themselves the Browns, similar to what OP proposes.

But for heaven's sake let's not call ourselves the Oilers, who were the laughing stock of the league because of their litany of dreadful coaching (which, by the way, we are challenging). I do wish we would officially become the Toros, to match our logo, and calling ourselves Texans is too boastful.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #29
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think it would be nice to do something in honor of BumPhillips' passing. But since he's an "Oiler" I doubt we'll be able to, no matter how much since it makes.
The Texans have honored numerous other Oilers as Houston sports figures. Bud isn't going to complain.
Old 10-24-2013   #30
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The Texans have honored numerous other Oilers as Houston sports figures. Bud isn't going to complain.
Better yet...let's ask him. Bud...you have any issue with us honring the former OILERS? (listening intently)...guess not.

"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 10-24-2013   #31
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's not and say we didn't.
Old 10-24-2013   #32
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74774 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans could do it. Money talks. The question is would it be worth it?

I'd like to see the Texans were Oiler jerseys on alternate days at least. Make the Titans wear a QB practice jersey a few times a year.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #33
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

That was my team and not a day goes by when I don't think about the Oilers or something related to them. Having said that and having really meant it... Let it go. War's over and Bud the worm dropped the big one. Gotta move on.

Last edited by Hervoyel; 10-24-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #34
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
War's over and Bud the worm dropped the big one. Gotta move on.
...and now Bud is being eaten by worms. The cycle is complete.
Old 10-24-2013   #35
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Coming back and reading through this thread again. All of OP's reasons are faulty at best. In fact in his Original post, he even said the Texans should be called the Oilers again.
I do want to point out that the NHL didn't award us a team because they don't want to expand. Something they still haven't done to this day. They have just moved former teams to new places.
I think everyone agrees, the Texans are the Texans. Not the Oilers. TIme to move on.

Mallet: The Texas Hammer!
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #36
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Might as well bring back all my ex wifes as well.
Old 10-24-2013   #37
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
Might as well bring back all my ex wifes as well.
They make pills for when you start having thoughts like that.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #38
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Oilers died when the team rolled out of town.

We will always have the memories, but the stats, the pain, and the name belonged to Bud Adams. It was always more about him than the team or the city in his mind.

So, no thanks.

Houston has a team, they are named the Texans.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #39
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
The Oilers died when the team rolled out of town.

We will always have the memories, but the stats, the pain, and the name belonged to Bud Adams. It was always more about him than the team or the city in his mind.

So, no thanks.

Houston has a team, they are named the Texans.

I LOVED the Superbowl he made it to and how close he was to the Lombardi. When homeboy was denied the endzone by a FOOTand the clock ran out I was the happiest muff-hugga on EARTH! In my mind I could hear the immortal Don Addams saying:

"Missed it by ...that much."
Old 10-25-2013   #40
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as I loved the Oilers, I am perfectly fine with the Texans. I like having our own identity.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read