Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-23-2013   #21
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Working Out Lots of Players "Behind Closed Doors"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
I liked Ramses Barden pre injury, huge receiver.

Rest of them I'm pretty meh about.
I'm here too. I wanted him in the off season. I think he's could provide some depth and a red zone target.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #22
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dutch, how do you think the cap works in this instance?

Schaub's base salary of $10M and the game bonus of $1M aren't guaranteed, right?

So if we trade Schaub, those amounts should be prorated to reflect the seven games that Schaub were on the roster.

The Texans are responsible for $4.8125M of that $11M.
That's $6.1875M they don't have to pay Schaub, correct?

Schaub is in the book for another $7M in signing bonus (dead money).
It looks to me like the Texans are only short of 812.5K for Schaub.

Let's round it up to $1M even.
The cap space they currently have is more than enough to cover that, and they can close the book on Schaub.

There will be an extra $14.5M in cap space next year to play with

Is there anything wrong with my calculation?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #23
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Also Dutch, while you're here and since you're the expert (even though you kind of overestimated last time), can you weigh in on what you think we're going to get compensatory-wise for next draft? 76 seems to think we're getting a hell of a lot of picks coming and I am saying we might get one. Here's the thread:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...t=compensatory
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #24
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18240 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Schaub's base salary of $10M and the game bonus of $1M aren't guaranteed, right?

So if we trade Schaub, those amounts should be prorated to reflect the seven games that Schaub were on the roster.

The cap space they currently have is more than enough to cover that, and they can close the book on Schaub.

Someone willing to trade for Schaub? Who would take him? Isn't his contract bloated?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #25
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 127721 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
Someone willing to trade for Schaub? Who would take him? Isn't his contract bloated?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
Many teams would take a schaub, he is better that what a lot of teams have.
Old 10-23-2013   #26
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So if we trade Schaub...
Who would trade for an old, system QB with zero mobility and a degenerative foot injury?

The only possibility I see would be if Redskins were playoff bound and had an injury at QB1 or QB2... like when we tried to reacquire Rosenfels.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #27
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Four pick sixes is a row? He's the laughing stock of the league, no one would chance the uproar by bringing him into their team. Schaub is dead weight and deal money now.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-23-2013   #28
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm looking at Over The Cap for the info on his contract. The signing bonus money is guaranteed and already paid. It's paid out over the years as long as he plays with the Texans. If you have another source that has different numbers, then I think that's where we differ. It seems to me that you're mixing his salary with signing bonus, but those are two distinctly different forms of compensation.

His salary for 2013 is 7.25 million, spread out over 17 weeks of payments. It's week 8, so that's where I get the 3.4m already paid. That's on our cap for the year regardless. The remaining 9 weeks worth of salary would be taken over by the receiving team.

He has 14 million in signing bonus remaining (3.5m a year for 4 years), and that gets accelerated to this year's cap if he's traded or cut. So that would mean 14 million from signing bonus, plus whatever salary is already paid to him (3.4m), giving us a total cap hit of 17.4m if they move him.

I don't know of any other guarantees made to him. The roster bonuses are for future years, so we wouldn't be subject to them. Guaranteed money for base salaries will move with the player, so the remainder of his salary for this year and any future years that have guarantees will stay with him. I believe only 2013 is guaranteed though.
Old 10-23-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dutch, I'm looking at spotrac's numbers.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/

I got the $14M in signing bonus covered.

Let me take a look at overthecap to see what's going on there.
Old 10-23-2013   #30
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Are you looking at 2013 or 2014? Cause 2013 and beyond is what currently applies.
Old 10-23-2013   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

DR. I agree and had MS on roster thru this season for the reasons you state of contract. Any chance Browns want to get rid of WR Josh Gordon enough to take Schaub? Risk factor about same & his base and cap are peanuts. I have read that 3 teams have inquired with at least one offer of a player + high draft pick.
Old 10-23-2013   #32
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Never mind; they have the same number.
I just looked at the wrong year.

Your numbers are correct.
Schaub can't be traded this year.
Old 10-23-2013   #33
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I missed the Skelton mention. That means that Pat White would be considered for QB too.

BOOM.

That's the big story here. We have three QB's on the roster, and we're trying out another. A drastic move is about to be made, and I think it's a Matt Schaub trade. Other than the fact that we're trying out QB's, consider:

- Jeff Fisher has schemed against Schaub for seven years, and has seen Schaub at his best. Schaub would be a major step up from what they have now in Brady Quinn.

- Fans have turned against Schaub. If you doubt that's a major factor, consider how it was the key reason for releasing Jacoby Jones early, according to Jacoby's agent.

Link.

Jacoby never had his Jersey burned in the Reliant parking lot. He never had a hamburger named after his mistakes. Jacoby never had a replacement at his position who immediately outshined him, yet he still had to move.

Schaub is not Jacoby, but their confidence has been comparably diminished. And they have both been referred to as "Public Enemy No. 1." in Houston. In both cases, a fresh start is/was best for them. It would make sense that either Schaub or his agent have requested a trade in the interest of a fresh start, and to get away from rabid fans. In a way, the success of Keenum in his debut may have been the best case scenario for Schaub's interests, because it provided a smooth exit.

The schism between Schaub and fans is irreparable, so Matt Schaub is leaving Houston mid season. Count on it.
This all sounds good, in theory. And, I agree that they are in full panic mode. Jobs are - or should be - clearly in jeopardy.

But, I just can't see this team trading their QB in the middle of the season. That's not how this team has traditionally operated. They're not in the habit of taking chances or making big moves.

The more likely scenario is they simply bench Schaub the rest of the season and make a move then.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #34
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Here's ProfootballTalk's article about it if it helps some. I stopped trying to understand the cap crap. It makes my tiny brain hurt too much. Linky
Old 10-23-2013   #35
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Who would trade for an old, system QB with zero mobility and a degenerative foot injury?

The only possibility I see would be if Redskins were playoff bound and had an injury at QB1 or QB2... like when we tried to reacquire Rosenfels.
Lead-foot Bledsoe started for two teams after his stint in New England (after an injury that landed him in the hospital for several days); it happened before

Moot point now with Schaub's contract.
Old 10-23-2013   #36
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Here's ProfootballTalk's article about it if it helps some. I stopped trying to understand the cap crap. It makes my tiny brain hurt too much. Linky
Thanks man, I've read that article before.

I'm getting a bit older, sometimes my short-term memory isn't too good.
I knew it's not feasible to trade Schaub this season, but in my haste, I just forgot about it.

My bad.
Old 10-23-2013   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Also Dutch, while you're here and since you're the expert (even though you kind of overestimated last time), can you weigh in on what you think we're going to get compensatory-wise for next draft? 76 seems to think we're getting a hell of a lot of picks coming and I am saying we might get one. Here's the thread:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...t=compensatory
I'm thinking two, not a boat load, LOL.

A 4th or 5th and a late rounder (6th or 7th).
Old 10-23-2013   #38
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I saw this yesterday and got too busy to post it. I don't know if it has been posted yet.

Link.

Other than White, all those guys are receivers. Pat White would likely be trying out as a receiver/returner.
Is Martin's health-issue something that effects his depth perception? He's appeared clueless as to how deep in the endzone he is much of the time.
Old 10-23-2013   #39
Bronco Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 29 Bronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Bronco Texan Send a message via Yahoo to Bronco Texan

I don't see Schaub traded, but possibly put on IR? Kubiak and company have to know that is Schaub is ran onto the field again the stadium would break the Chiefs decibel record in boos. So if his foot is bad enough to keep him out of a few more games maybe they thinking to just put him on IR, and then just cut him at the end of the season. Then they can just focus on evaluating Keenum and Yates for the rest of the season.
Bronco Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #40
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163364 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans had QB's in to throw to WR's they were looking at. No intention of signing a QB.

Why is this so hard to comprehend by some?
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read