Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-25-2013   #41
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster/Tate down leaves Graham for now…

Because someone is going to have to say it if for no other reason than to get it out of the way here we go..... "Emmitt Smith ran a 4.8 in the 40"
Old 10-25-2013   #42
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Because someone is going to have to say it if for no other reason than to get it out of the way here we go..... "Emmitt Smith ran a 4.8 in the 40"
I've watched both Foster and Tate get run down from behind at various times. Doesn't bother me. Didn't bother me when Domanick Davis got ran down from behind. All I care about is getting into the secondary. If he can't turn a 20 yard run into a 40 yard run, I can live with that. It's the ones that can't turn a 2 yard run into a 5 yard run that I have issues with.
Old 10-25-2013   #43
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That oft-quoted number was actually obtained from his school "combine." It was timed manually as were all school 40s at the time. This has been shown to vary by 0.5 seconds to the most accurate electronic method. Therefore, the NFL Combine first engaged partial electronic timing of the 40 after 1990. With this timing, Smith subsequently ran a 4.50.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Either way, there's a difference between a 210lb guy running 4.8 & a 190lb guy running 4.8
Old 10-25-2013   #45
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I've watched both Foster and Tate get run down from behind at various times. Doesn't bother me. Didn't bother me when Domanick Davis got ran down from behind. All I care about is getting into the secondary. If he can't turn a 20 yard run into a 40 yard run, I can live with that. It's the ones that can't turn a 2 yard run into a 5 yard run that I have issues with.
I think they call that the Ron Dayne syndrome. "If you need 1, he can get you 2; if you need 3 he can get you 2"

I've heard a list of FA on the street. There's a reason most of those guys are on the street at this point in the season. I imagine that we are looking for a stopgap for the next week or 2. If we lose against Indy, I think we shutdown Foster and let Tate handle the reps once he's healthy.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #46
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
You sound like the kind of person who has no accountability in his life. The Texans make a lot of really bad decisions, but cutting some immature players who are unappreciative of the career they get to have as professional football players that are bench players on top of that is not one of them. This is just bad timing from a RB stand point I applaud their decision to cut a few knuckleheads from a 2-5 team. Get them the hell out of here.
Yeah, there are plenty of Kubiak's decisions you can question, this really isn't one of them. If you're too stupid to not do whatever they were doing the night before a huge game when you're gonna get a shot to make an impact, then you're too stupid to be on my team.
Old 10-28-2013   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
that's college. they should have a clean slate when they came to the texans.

You think kubiak held it against them that they got in trouble in college?

That's just dumb.
why should they have a clean slate from college? Stupid is stupid and they were given chance to not be stupid again. That is hardly draconian. Perhaps you should learn what the term means. The athenian law giver punished most crimes with death and it has come to be known as "harsh". I doubt many will agree with you that these three were treated harshly. College and young adulthood is not a free card to do stupid and expect others to shrug it off.
Old 10-28-2013   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Yeah, there are plenty of Kubiak's decisions you can question, this really isn't one of them. If you're too stupid to not do whatever they were doing the night before a huge game when you're gonna get a shot to make an impact, then you're too stupid to be on my team.
Problem is the Texans never said what team rules they broke. & they shouldn't. We've heard the players speak out & they seem to understand that this was warranted.

Both Montgomery & Jefferson have come out with negative drug screens. Chances are they'll get picked up by some other team, they'll make an impact, maybe even become "stars"

Most people will blame Kubiak for cutting them. like he cut Demps, Jacoby, Trindon, & even though Wade said he'd rather have McClain than Chris Jones, Kubiak gets it for that as well. Even though cutting them is probably what saved their careers.

Yeah, Jacoby & Trindon flashed here. But they weren't nearly as consistent as they are now. Not only did they fumble, or fail to cleanly receive the ball, but they both tended to run sideways when they were here.
Old 10-28-2013   #49
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok, so based on the very small amount of information we have to work with here's the question. If Foster and Tate are both in street clothes on the sidelines who do you think will start Sunday night and who will be first off the bench?

I'm hoping Dennis Johnson ends up as the 3 and we never see his fumble-prone ass on the field at all.
Old 10-28-2013   #50
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok, so based on the very small amount of information we have to work with here's the question. If Foster and Tate are both in street clothes on the sidelines who do you think will start Sunday night and who will be first off the bench?

I'm hoping Dennis Johnson ends up as the 3 and we never see his fumble-prone ass on the field at all.
I think Karim starts. He played pretty good in the preseason and would be on the team if Wood wouldn't have exploded.
Old 10-28-2013   #51
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
I think Karim starts. He played pretty good in the preseason and would be on the team if Wood wouldn't have exploded.
...........and Karim has always been a solid Kick returner.
Old 10-28-2013   #52
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Off the top of my head... Da'Rick Rogers, Vontaze Burfict, Cliff Harris. All players with 1st round talent that went undrafted because of their history in college.

Of course character matters. It's on the scouting report right next to their 40 time.

Also, this discussion was already had in the other thread. Let's talk about Graham.
Character matters, would y'all draft 2 yrs of Hernandez if it meant going to the SB and having to deal with what the Pats did for about 2 weeks?

I know I would sign him up. Maybe BoB didn't really mean it when he said he wanted to craft his team after the way that Kraft/Pats do business.

Ray Lewis Double murderer/SB winner?
Roethlisberger Rapist/SB winner
Johhny Jolly Purple drank/SB winner.

Are we starting to see a theme here?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Character matters, would y'all draft 2 yrs of Hernandez if it meant going to the SB and having to deal with what the Pats did for about 2 weeks?

I know I would sign him up.
As long as you've got Jimmy Grahams, Rob Gronkonskis, & Vernon Davis' out there... not to mention Jordan Camerons out there..... why bother with the Aaron Hernandezes out there?
Old 10-28-2013   #54
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

I know I would sign him up. Maybe BoB didn't really mean it when he said he wanted to craft his team after the way that Kraft/Pats do business.

Ray Lewis Double murderer/SB winner?
Roethlisberger Rapist/SB winner
Johhny Jolly Purple drank/SB winner.

Are we starting to see a theme here?
His statement was that Kubiak shouldn't consider the players' past in college, which would be an unrealistic expectation.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #55
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

If Foster plays this week, he is more likely than not to re-aggravate his hamstring (try to remember back to what happened in the past (several times) when Foster was brought back too soon). If Tate starts, he is more likely than not to be ineffective.

Karim should be our 1st RB. And the Texans should spend some concentrated time in practices to "retrain" Jones to carry the ball.
Old 10-28-2013   #56
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

not too concerned about speed, he was able to take a couple to the house at pitt so he can move the ball. besides, this is an offense (albeit better line at the time) that had ron dayne looking pretty good. i also like switching it up at runningback from time to time, it makes things difficult on the defense to adjust to a style they're not used to preparing for.

the real question is, can these young guys pass block?
Old 10-28-2013   #57
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
not too concerned about speed, he was able to take a couple to the house at pitt so he can move the ball. besides, this is an offense (albeit better line at the time) that had ron dayne looking pretty good. i also like switching it up at runningback from time to time, it makes things difficult on the defense to adjust to a style they're not used to preparing for.

the real question is, can these young guys pass block?
Karim has always been considered a strong pass blocker.

Coming out of college, DJ was a responsible and willing pass blocker.
Old 10-29-2013   #58
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
If Foster plays this week, he is more likely than not to re-aggravate his hamstring (try to remember back to what happened in the past (several times) when Foster was brought back too soon). If Tate starts, he is more likely than not to be ineffective.

Karim should be our 1st RB. And the Texans should spend some concentrated time in practices to "retrain" Jones to carry the ball.

Yes
No

Karim should start and be spelled by Graham. If neither is effective (unlikely) then you swing for the fences and see what Johnson can do.

Jones isn't some puppy who just got to the NFL. He's an old dog FB who can't carry the ball for **** and who has also spent his entire career prior to this year in Jacksonville learning to run behind whatever the hell it is the Jags OL does for MJD. You don't retrain that guy in one week hoping he suddenly gets it. He's sporting that big ol' 3.4 yard average as the Jags "surprise" back with MJD as the decoy? I don't think you want that man carrying anything.

Karim, Graham, Johnson, and then Jones if things are totally screwed.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read