Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-07-2013   #41
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21706 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texian's Mid Season Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You are going to have to link where Phillips has said he preferred smaller NTs. There are posts with link in this forum where Wade has pointed to previous NTs of different sizes that he played. He stated he takes what he has and tries to make them better. You can also say for every "lighter" Nose there are dozens who do not perform well. I think it depends on the fight in the dog rather than dog in fight. We have seen how Nose players have performed for Texans like Cody and Mitchell and I am ready to try a different approach. We get impact on the QB from Ninja, Watt and occasionally someone else but we need a way to shut down running game before the back gets past the LOS. Our Dline and LBs are not getting it done & why I am focusing on that in my mock.
I think if you review Wade's first press conference after being hired as Houston's DC I believe IIRC you will hear Wade discussing how he wants to attack the football and how he has been successful with a smaller 1 gap penetrating NT and he doesn't need a monster 2 gap NT in his system.

I understand what you're saying but science says that most 340 lb NT do not have the physical stamina to play 1000+ snaps a season and on average are limited to 300-400 snaps played effectively. Of course there are exceptions to every rule Wilfork and Ngata being two.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #42
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 223543 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I think if you review Wade's first press conference after being hired as Houston's DC I believe IIRC you will hear Wade discussing how he wants to attack the football and how he has been successful with a smaller 1 gap penetrating NT and he doesn't need a monster 2 gap NT in his system.
Key word in there being "need." Wade was being asked about the absence of a big body on the roster and responded with he had worked with both to success.

FYI - before you go off on a tangent, I am not a proponent of big NTs.
Old 11-07-2013   #43
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I understand what you're saying but science says that most 340 lb NT do not have the physical stamina to play 1000+ snaps a season and on average are limited to 300-400 snaps played effectively. Of course there are exceptions to every rule Wilfork and Ngata being two.
Wade had Jammal Williams IIRC at San Diego and he was a big guy . I think Wade's defense isn't much to write home about . If you get inside the 20 yd line , you're going to score . Could that be a symptom of having to light of guys in the middle .
Old 11-07-2013   #44
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Key word in there being "need." Wade was being asked about the absence of a big body on the roster and responded with he had worked with both to success.

FYI - before you go off on a tangent, I am not a proponent of big NTs.
Big , strong guys who can move , don't last long in the draft . The last being Poe .
Old 11-07-2013   #45
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Big , strong guys who can move , don't last long in the draft . The last being Poe .
There are only a handful of these guy's in the league ... everyone else is looking for them.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #46
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
There are only a handful of these guy's in the league ... everyone else is looking for them.
Yep

I think Nix can be that type of player.

Look at what Star has done for Carolinas pass rush this yr compared to last yr, even though he doesn't have a bunch of sacks. Same with Poe and KC.

I can only dream of how good the pass rush would be if Watt was next to Nix, with Murphy and Mercilus rushing from the outside.

If Nix falls to the Texans picking him would be a no brainer. Despite being a huge man he can move. I would trade up for Murphy into the bottom of the 1st and instatly have the pass rush the team has been lacking for yrs.

Like I stated before the Texans wont be able to fix everything in one draft. But getting JJ some help and finding a RT would make me happy.

Murphy will be a huge upgrade over Ninja. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #47
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Yep ... you know what Vince Wolfork , BJ Raji , Lynval Joseph , Haloti Gnata , and Casey Hampton all have in common , besides being at least 330 lbs ?
Old 11-07-2013   #48
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21706 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

what the coach said......

http://prod.www.texans.clubs.nfl.com...d-7b056ff56727
Old 11-07-2013   #49
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64802 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wade had Jammal Williams IIRC at San Diego and he was a big guy . I think Wade's defense isn't much to write home about . If you get inside the 20 yd line , you're going to score . Could that be a symptom of having to light of guys in the middle.
It's a symptom of playing man coverage with inferior DB's, IMO. This defense is usually pretty good when it comes to ypc against and rush TD's against. We get scorched in the redzone because we have only have 2-3 guys who are capable of matching up in man coverage. Teams exploit that endlessly, as well have all witnessed.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #50
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep ... you know what Vince Wolfork , BJ Raji , Lynval Joseph , Haloti Gnata , and Casey Hampton all have in common , besides being at least 330 lbs ?
???

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #51
Texian
Hall of Fame

The latest revision to the mock:

1. Johnny "TEXAN" Manziel, QB Texas A&M
2. Jeremiah Attachou, OLB, Ga Tech
3. Brandon Sherff, RT, Iowa
4. Arthur Lynch, TE, Georgia
5. Marcus Williams, CB, North Dakota State
6. Storm Johnson, RB, Central Florida
7. Trey Hopkins, OG, Texas

Last edited by Texian; 11-16-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-17-2013   #52
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The latest revision to the mock:

2. Jeremiah Attachou, OLB, Ga Tech
3. Brandon Sherff, RT, Iowa
I just finished watching Iowa vs Purdue tape, Brandon Scherff is unlikely to make it until Rd 3. Moving him up to RD 2 and a Top 40 pick and sliding Attachou back to RD 3 Top 75 pick. Lynch played well vs Auburn, Storm Johnson ran for 122/8.9 ypc.

2. Brandon Sherff, RT, Iowa
3. Jeremiah Attachou, OLB, Ga Tech
Old 12-16-2013   #53
Texian
Hall of Fame

If the draft were today, I would revise my mock. Mainly because the Texans today have the 1st pick instead of the 5th.

1. Blake Bortles, QB, 6'4", 230, UCF
2. Aaron Donald, DE, 6'0" 285, Pitt
3. Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, 6'3", 242, GA Tech
4. Billy Turner, OT, 6'5", 318, NDSU - contingent on 25+ 225 reps
5. Marcus Williams, CB, 5'11" 197, NDSU - contingent on a sub 4.5
6. Trey Hopkins, LG, 6'4", 305, UT
7. Crockett Gilmore, TE, 6'6", 255, CSU - because name is perfect for a Texan.

If Bortles returns to school I am all in for a trade back.

Last edited by Texian; 12-17-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read