Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-20-2013   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter

Wow! Perhaps I am simply too big a fan of these guys to be a realist. I did not understand how physically limited Schaub was until I saw Keenum playing the position today. The movement, the release, and the opportunity for playmaking was a stark difference from what we have been dealing with- at least since the lisfranc injury.

Not only that, but he was very poised, I thought. Clearly, there were issues make hot reads and accounting for overload blitzes late in the game. However, I think the most costly mistake of the game was the decision to not activate Cierre Wood. Tate was clearly unable to do anything... KC knew it and pinned their ears back. If the Texans had the ability to run the ball, the second half goes very differently.

I must agree that this team should go forward with Keenum in two weeks. After that, we will see. Not in my most optimistic moment (and I did think we had a chance to win this game), did I expect to be so impressed with him today. Hard not to get excited about the kid. I did not see an issue with arm strength, release, size, etc... He seems to have the tools and showed the potential to be a leader, though much of that develops (or doesn't) over time.

While being very critical of Kubiak's decision to not activate Wood, I must say that he did an excellent job preparing Keenum to playing and putting together a winning gameplan for him. Who would of thought the entire game would be played from pistol... Genius, given Keenum's comfort in shotgun but also to combat the noise level.
Old 10-20-2013   #2
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter

Good post. I am wondering about some of Kubiak's play calling and burning timeouts like they were going out of style, but all in all, I agree with what you're saying.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I will need to rewatch the games a few more times, but Keenum does pass the eye ball test.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #4
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Case doesnt change our need to make qb top priority next yr
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #5
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 8368 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxtexanfan View Post
case doesnt change our need to make qb top priority next yr
^^^^this!!!
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #6
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
the burning of timeouts is due to the fact that he doesnt allow audible freedom and the lack of a no huddle offense.

its a complete disadvantage coaching and strategy wise.

We need a new coach that is up with the modern times in the nfl. How can you not have a no huddle QB audible system set up in 2013?
Or maybe we had a QB who never started a down in the NFL before.
Old 10-20-2013   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Thank you dale. That was a good post.

Whether case is the guy or not, it should be clear that what we had at the qb position before was not good enough.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2013   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I think I will need to rewatch the games a few more times, but Keenum does pass the eye ball test.
Please just don't excuse away all of his mistakes 76. That'd be more fuel to the fire.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #9
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19254 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Unfortunately Newton and Smith changes our need...and perhaps Cushing...

I think Case will play well enough if he's given the chance to.

OL has been a much bigger issue and so has LB position in general.
Old 10-20-2013   #10
datchapin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2013 datchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After one game of course not. However after today's performance he deserves the chance to play and make a case to be the QB moving forward. After all the years and chances Schaub was given CK should be given the opportunity to prove his worth on the team.

I like what I saw today and would like to see how he develops. My 2 cents.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #11
AMartin56
Veteran

Rep Power: 2935 AMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respected

Case deserves to start. Kubiak and Schaub need to go. Draft for value in first...take QB in the second of a deep QB draft. It's not like our 2nd round picks have been can't misses under Rick.
AMartin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #12
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 137757 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post

Newton is a worse RT than Schaub is a QB. Even if Schaub were to play again he'd get smacked like keenum because newton is awful. There are more positions to focus on with the first pick than QB.
Old 10-20-2013   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

There is another reality to consider. Regardless of what you think about Kubiak, he does quite a bit with limited talent at QB. From Rosenfels, to Schaub, to Yates, to Keenum... I'm not sure that if Keenum shows well, we need to attack the position early in the draft- there are mid round possibilities, not to mention guys available in the off-season that could add significant depth. Plus, whether we keep Schaub next year or not, there will be a salary cap cost to deal with, so that also may limit our aggressiveness at that position. Also, I must say, Schaub is a heck of an option as a #2- assessing Keenum the next few weeks will determine a lot!

Also, I agree the Oline must be addressed! Newton is killing me!.. and though I like the 5th rounder who played some LG, Williams' knee injury means he should be an afterthought. They need to upgrade the position! Also, I don't think Ben Jones is the answer at Center and finding Myers' replacement is not a bad idea.

ILB!!! must be addressed. Even with Cushing, we are thin in talent at ILB. I think the Mays signing was a very good one- and while he is a plug and play guy that has playmaking ability, he is not a guy to count on the next 2 or 3 years as a starter.

Otherwise, the team will have pieces to replace at RB and need to continue to add to secondary depth. Still, I think the talent base and future looks very good... and, depending on how we overcome the Cushing loss, I think this season isn't lost yet- need to win all of our division games, though!

Finally, I am in love with our WR situation! If we have a QB that can get the ball to them like Keenum did today, the combination of Hopkins, Posey, and an aging AJ is pretty freakin' sweet!
Old 10-20-2013   #14
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

If schaub isn't 100% Gary can give case another start without qb controversy
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Newton is a worse RT than Schaub is a QB. Even if Schaub were to play again he'd get smacked like keenum because newton is awful. There are more positions to focus on with the first pick than QB.
The two biggest coaching blunders today:

1. not activating Cierre Wood
2. Playing Newton instead of Harris on the final two drives of the 4th quarter. (Newton's athleticism is sometimes an asset in the run game- but, given the fact that we had no running back and the Chief defense were in attack mode, Harris needed to be in the game- he was in the 1st half on both scoring drives, I think)
Old 10-20-2013   #16
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 33937 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Unfortunately it looks like we will be taking a LB pretty early, gonna be tough to get both.
Old 10-20-2013   #17
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19254 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
There is another reality to consider. Regardless of what you think about Kubiak, he does quite a bit with limited talent at QB. From Rosenfels, to Schaub, to Yates, to Keenum... I'm not sure that if Keenum shows well, we need to attack the position early in the draft- there are mid round possibilities, not to mention guys available in the off-season that could add significant depth. Plus, whether we keep Schaub next year or not, there will be a salary cap cost to deal with, so that also may limit our aggressiveness at that position. Also, I must say, Schaub is a heck of an option as a #2- assessing Keenum the next few weeks will determine a lot!

Also, I agree the Oline must be addressed! Newton is killing me!.. and though I like the 5th rounder who played some LG, Williams' knee injury means he should be an afterthought. They need to upgrade the position! Also, I don't think Ben Jones is the answer at Center and finding Myers' replacement is not a bad idea.

ILB!!! must be addressed. Even with Cushing, we are thin in talent at ILB. I think the Mays signing was a very good one- and while he is a plug and play guy that has playmaking ability, he is not a guy to count on the next 2 or 3 years as a starter.

Otherwise, the team will have pieces to replace at RB and need to continue to add to secondary depth. Still, I think the talent base and future looks very good... and, depending on how we overcome the Cushing loss, I think this season isn't lost yet- need to win all of our division games, though!

Finally, I am in love with our WR situation! If we have a QB that can get the ball to them like Keenum did today, the combination of Hopkins, Posey, and an aging AJ is pretty freakin' sweet!
Forgot all about RB because yeah Ben Tate is gone and I'm not sure he'll be worth the price a team is going to pay him as he has problems staying healthy (even as a backup back with limited carries) and fumbles the ball more than Foster even though Foster carries it a ton more.

Good thing about the HB situation is Kubiak is historically pretty good with the run game. I think Case will prove just enough for the Texans to hold off on using a high pick at QB because we have more pressing needs like obviously the Oline which is in dire need of help right now.
Old 10-20-2013   #18
YeaLikeRightNow
Veteran

Rep Power: 651 YeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well stated...this is our "needs list" for next season!
YeaLikeRightNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #19
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaLikeRightNow View Post
Well stated...this is our "needs list" for next season!
Watching Newton, it is very difficult to comprehend how he can receive competent coaching by a good NFL offensive line coach (Benton is certainly competent), be such a good athlete, and have such hideous technique after three years in the NFL. It just doesn't make sense. If he was a 1st round stud, then I could guess that he is perhaps too arrogant and stubborn to take coaching. However, as a late round pick, trying to make it in the NFL, without any attitude problems I'm aware of, I just don't get it! Some guys, I guess, just aren't coachable.
Old 10-20-2013   #20
YeaLikeRightNow
Veteran

Rep Power: 651 YeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Watching Newton, it is very difficult to comprehend how he can receive competent coaching by a good NFL offensive line coach (Benton is certainly competent), be such a good athlete, and have such hideous technique after three years in the NFL. It just doesn't make sense. If he was a 1st round stud, then I could guess that he is perhaps too arrogant and stubborn to take coaching. However, as a late round pick, trying to make it in the NFL, without any attitude problems I'm aware of, I just don't get it! Some guys, I guess, just aren't coachable.

Newton could be quicker if he'd drop a few pounds. His hand techniques are absent, his footwork makes him look very busy, as if he's really trying hard; but he goes nowhere.
YeaLikeRightNow is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read