Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2013   #1
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163364 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default This is just weird..

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spor...29a86ecc308649

Quote:
Jones, the head coach at SMU, has impressive credentials, and I'm going to touch on them for those of you not familiar with his background because it pertains to Texans quarterback Case Keenum.

Jones was a backup quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons before embarking on a college and NFL coaching career. He was the head coach at the University of Hawaii before SMU.

Jones' jobs in the NFL included being the head coach of the Falcons and San Diego Chargers.
Quote:
In May, I was visiting with Jones in the Dallas area. I asked him about Matt Schaub. Before responding to my Schaub question, Jones said, "Let me tell you about Case Keenum."

Jones scouted Keenum every season when he played for the Cougars. Jones figures he watched every play of Keenum's college career. Here's some of what Jones said that night.

"I'm going to make a prediction," Jones said. "When Case gets to training camp, you're going to see a different quarterback."

Different from what?

"Different from the quarterback he was last year on the practice squad," Jones said. "During training camp, he's going to show so much improvement you'll hear the coaches, especially (Gary) Kubiak, talking about how much he improved.

"Why? Because he had a season to learn the offense and let the coaches and players get to know him."

Yeah, well, so what? Keenum was an undrafted rookie free agent stuck in the third-team role behind Schaub and T.J. Yates, who won a division title and playoff game as a rookie.

'Fire burns in his belly'

But Jones went on.

"In preseason, Case is going to play so well, everybody will talk about how much better he's gotten, and he'll play so well he'll beat out (Yates) for the backup job," Jones said. "And let me tell you, if Schaub gets hurt, it won't surprise me a bit if it's Keenum - not Yates - that plays."

At that point, I suggested we put the cork back in the bottle, but Jones had piqued my interest.

I asked him why he was so high on Keenum that he'd make such an outlandish prediction?

"Because he's got that 'it' factor," Jones said. "He's a dynamic leader and a fierce competitor. His coaches and teammates love him and respect the hell out of him. And he makes great decisions with the ball. He doesn't make the same mistake twice."

OK, but those are intangibles. Keenum didn't even get drafted. Thirty-two teams, including the Texans, passed him up. Scouting reports said he was too short, and he played in a system that helped bloat his statistics.

Jones grinned and said, "And that's another reason I'm so impressed with him. He's such a competitor - that fire burns in his belly - that he's going to be determined to prove everybody wrong when he gets a chance.

"Hey, let me tell you something else: He's got a real good arm, and he's very athletic. He can get away from the rush. He can run when he needs to. You watch how quick he gets outside on the (bootleg). The ball comes out quick. And he's very accurate.
McClain is talking about a talk with Jones in May of this year. MAY!

Straight up X files s**t right here. The truth is out there...
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #2
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131191 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This is just weird..

But Keenum didn't beat out Yates for the backup job...
Old 10-18-2013   #3
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64147 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone who watched Case play at UoH should have thought he could have a chance to be the real deal.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #4
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163364 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Yeah but EVERYTHING else was correct including Keenum jumping in to start over Yates if Schaub went down. Scary stuff
Old 10-18-2013   #5
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spor...29a86ecc308649

McClain is talking about a talk with Jones in May of this year. MAY!

Straight up X files s**t right here. The truth is out there...
You guys are getting me hyped for this game. I blame everyone on this board if Case isn't a hall of famer. It's on you Texanstalk.
Old 10-18-2013   #6
macho grande
Veteran

Section: thin air up here
Rep Power: 2875 macho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
You guys are getting me hyped for this game. I blame everyone on this board if Case isn't a hall of famer. It's on you Texanstalk.
This!! I can't wait. I'd lost interest in watching same ol schaub. I haven't been this intrigued since last year's divisional game vs the Pats. Hopefully there's a different result this week :-)
macho grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #7
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post

CASE "THE FACE" KEENUM!!!! get around him

aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2013   #8
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 64171 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think under any other coach, he would have.
Old 10-18-2013   #9
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
everything he said was true including outplaying TJ Yates in the preseason. I mean it was close but not really. Offense flowed when Case was there.

The aura was strong.

Aura levels approaching 85.7%.

I think that's when Dre was first infected by it. Only reason why Yates was named #2 was because of Kubiak's seniority status philosophy.
Maybe Case is just gassy
Old 10-18-2013   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sure he did. Gary just didn't have it in his heart to take the #2 spot away from Yates for what he felt was a statistical "tie" between the two. He left TJ his #2 spot and put Keenum on the roster. The first chance he gets to start one of them he goes with Keenum and has Yates back him up?

I think Kubiak knew since the preseason he'd probably end up doing this if Matt went down. While Schaub was still in the mix there was just no reason to make the change on paper.
Old 10-18-2013   #11
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
agree we all know Kubes loyalty problems, i am shocked he did this. This is an obvious save your job and the season move. Glad he made it though.
Old 10-18-2013   #12
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131191 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Man you fanboys are easy to set off...
Old 10-18-2013   #13
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10263 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by macho grande View Post
This!! I can't wait. I'd lost interest in watching same ol schaub. I haven't been this intrigued since last year's divisional game vs the Pats. Hopefully there's a different result this week :-)
this is where i was at... this is the first time since the letterman jacket game that ive checked an opposing teams message board.. i came into this season defeated, knowing schaub is a loser who doesnt put this team over the top. idk what to expect with keenum but im so excited, jessie spano.. all the high praise from everyone has me with high expectations, its probably foolish but heres to hope..
Old 10-18-2013   #14
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

After thinking about it further, here is the real reason why I think Keenum wasn't named the #2 QB coming out of camp and I can't really blame Kubiak for it.

He didn't want to put Keenum #2 behind a mentally soft and struggling (coming off last season) QB. He wanted to give Schaub every chance to succeed and rebound back to being a solid/above solid starting QB. If Keenum would've been #2 out of the gate, every time Schaub would've thrown a ball over his receiver's head, at his receiver's feet, or thrown a horrible pick at home, the boo birds would've came out calling for Case. Yates being listed at #2 was the protection buffer that Kubiak needed to give Schaub a legit chance to rebound without being hounded by fans in the crowd who would of wanted to see the hometown kid.

It didn't work though... Schaub played like **** still and still looked mentally broken throughout the early part of the season, then when he put in Yates for mop up duty, he fell on his face too. Against the Rams (which if Schaub would've been hurt or not) I believe Schaub was put on notice he was playing for his job. He played decent and completed some passes and avoided the pick.. then bam, he goes down and the crowd cheers. Kubiak throws Yates out there and he plays like **** again. I believe it was right then and there that Kubiak decided he was going to roll with Keenum.

This whole "Yates and Keenum will be splitting carries and then I'll name this week's starter" was probably just lip service to the media. It only took a couple of practices for him to come up and name his starter and I believe Keenum will remain his starter for the rest of the year. The fans have been done with Schaub and I think Kubiak is now too. His inability to stay healthy, inability to make chicken salad when things break down, and his habit of making horrible mistakes at the worst times have cost Kubiak dearly at key points in his Texans' coaching history. I think this 2-4 start (granted it wasn't always Schaub's fault, but Kubiak runs his offense and QBs.. only thing he can truly control) was the straw that broke Kubiak's back.

Outside of injury or absolute horrible play by Keenum, I honestly don't see Schaub returning as the starter this year for the Texans. I don't even think Keenum has to play out of this world to keep the job. I believe even if Keenum has growing pains and struggles at times, Kubiak will still stick with him as long as he's making enough positive plays along the way.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #15
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
Under any other coach he wouldn't have been signed at all. Amazing the Case crew seems to overlook that what talking about Gary and how he handles things
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #16
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Under any other coach he wouldn't have been signed at all. Amazing the Case crew seems to overlook that what talking about Gary and how he handles things
you dont know that for sure, he is a home town kid. You dont know what any other coach would of done.
Old 10-18-2013   #17
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
you dont know that for sure, he is a home town kid. You dont know what any other coach would of done.
What other team offered him something?

Gary gave him a chance in more than one way despite what you may think
Old 10-18-2013   #18
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post

They overlook that for a reason... because it flat out is NOT true.

Case would've been invited to a camp if he didn't sign here. LMAO, seriously just because the guy was a UDFA does not mean that nobody had a eye on him, they simply didn't want to spend a draft on him (like Gary), but he would've been offered a try out by one of the other 31 teams.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #19
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish Matt Schaub and the rest of the Texans got as much support as Case is getting right now.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #20
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post

They overlook that for a reason... because it flat out is NOT true.

Case would've been invited to a camp if he didn't sign here. LMAO, seriously just because the guy was a UDFA does not mean that nobody had a eye on him, they simply didn't want to spend a draft on him (like Gary), but he would've been offered a try out by one of the other 31 teams.

Yeah the teams were forming a line for the texans to skip on him

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read