Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who gets the start at QB after the buy?
Keenum 162 88.52%
Schaub 21 11.48%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2013   #481
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Who gets the start at QB after the bye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy_gt View Post

There's a reason why Kubiak is risking putting it all on a young QB when his million dollar starter can play and will be sitting on the bench.
Uh yeah.... the starter sux
Old 10-30-2013   #482
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Should Keenum continue to be the starter? Yes.
I'm sure Kubiak has made up his mind & Keenum is the starter barring injury. Then Schaub will get an opportunity to redeem himself. But Kubiak is pretty good at making ho-hum QBs look good. If Case can be average (Schaub) Kubiak will make him look elite.

Quote:
Would or should the texans pass a qb in the 1st rd? No!
I'm hoping the team did lay down on/because of Schaub. If this team plays the way they should, Keenum will be fine, better than fine. I'm not opposed to drafting a QB in the first, but I want a guy with lots of promise.... Cutler or Freemanish. I'd even be willing to take a look at Ponder if he happens to hit the market.

Then We can use our 1st on the OL someone to take LG or RT.

Or even an ILB, a cheap understudy for Cushing.
Old 10-30-2013   #483
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Uh yeah.... the starter sux
And you don't even like him, never have.

:potstir:

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #484
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
And you don't even like him, never have.

To be clear, no I've never been a Matt Schaub fan, but I was fairly certain we could win a Super Bowl with Matt Schaub. While most of this fan base would prefer we tossed a perfectly good Matt Schaub (past tense) out for whatever, and cycle QBs through Houston until we find a franchise guy, it made more sense to me to put a team around him that can win a Championship.

No different than what Atlanta did, no different than what San Francisco did with Alex Smith, & what Baltimore did around Flacco. None of those QBs, in my mind, are any better than the Matt Schaub we saw coming in to 2013. His biggest problem was that he hadn't located his clutch gene.

Neither Baltimore or Atlanta is making plans to replace their QB. & Flacco isn't any younger than Schaub, than Schaub is younger than Brady or Manning. The only reason SF had a QB waiting in the wings is because they had a new coach coming in.

& there futures are tied to their $100M QBs.

Now... with whatever is going on in his head, he can't be trusted. We've got two viable options (again, in my mind) that can.

I still do not have a problem with the contract they signed. He's got a $7M salary this year, a $10M cap hit.... There's nothing wrong paying that for a starting QB of a good Matt Schaub's ability. Then we're not stuck with him beyond this season. It might hurt a little, but we've got more cap space without him than whit him going forward.

But yes, before this year I wouldn't have said that Matt Schaub sux. He just wasn't as good as we wanted him to be.
Old 10-31-2013   #485
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm sure Kubiak has made up his mind & Keenum is the starter barring injury. Then Schaub will get an opportunity to redeem himself. But Kubiak is pretty good at making ho-hum QBs look good. If Case can be average (Schaub) Kubiak will make him look elite.

I'm hoping the team did lay down on/because of Schaub. If this team plays the way they should, Keenum will be fine, better than fine. I'm not opposed to drafting a QB in the first, but I want a guy with lots of promise.... Cutler or Freemanish. I'd even be willing to take a look at Ponder if he happens to hit the market.

Then We can use our 1st on the OL someone to take LG or RT.

Or even an ILB, a cheap understudy for Cushing.
(Freeman) Upchuck & (Ponder) Puke.

For the love of god, don't even waste your time on these guys. If Case doesn't look like a Starter going forward, draft a QB and sign a older vet to help teach him the ropes.

If Case looks like he's a starter go elsewhere in the first round.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #486
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post

For the love of god, don't even waste your time on these guys. If Case doesn't look like a Starter going forward, draft a QB and sign a older vet to help teach him the ropes.

I disagree and I don't have to look any further than the bills. After jp losman fell on his face,they drafted trent edwards in the 3rd rdin 07. He looked pretty good for a few games. They entered 08 with a chance at flacco and they passed while the ravens moved up to get him. Well we know the story and the rule is unless you're sure your qb is the sanswer,you can't pass a guy who can be a franchise qb. Unless case looks like drew brees,they can't afford to pass a talented qb who might be a franchhise qb. The qb is the most important position and you can't hide that guy no matter the talent around him. Not to mention the texans have andrew luck in their division. If you don't catch up with him,the texans will be forever relugated to 2nd or 3rd place. Once the afc south was formed in 02,peyton manning won it every year except 1 time. its gonna happen like that again if the qb isn't question isn't solved.
Old 10-31-2013   #487
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dalemurphy, I agree players are mis judged,but how does a qb go undrafted? I mean they said ryan fitzpatrick had one of the best chalkboard sessions ever. He stuck around,got his chance under gailey,played well early and turned it into a big payday. Then teams found out he couldn't push the ball to certain quads of the field. He's still getting a great. Nfl check as a backup,but he was undrafted For a reason also. Could case be like this? Could. Should Keenum continue to be the starter? Yes. Would or should the texans pass a qb in the 1st rd? No!
Ryan Fitzpatrick is Ryan Fitzpatrick and Case Keenum is Case Keenum.. they are their own man and two completely different players and neither has one to do with the other, other than both were undrafted players

As far as how does a QB go undrafted.. How does a Tom Brady go in the 6th round (nearly undrafted), how does a Bart Starr go in the 17th round. How many QBs went undrafted in this league who could start, but never did due just to the simple fact that they never got a chance to prove it, because they went undrafted.. we'll never know, but I'm pretty damn positive there were players just like that.

Just look at Arian Foster, if Tate doesn't get hurt and if Houston actually has a legit option at the position ahead of him.. does he get his chance to shine? If Schaub doesn't hit a career wall and if T.J. doesn't play like a UDFA.. does Case ever get a chance to prove if he can play or not?

I'm pretty sure just for those simple reasons alone, there's been UDFA QBs who never had the stars align for them and they rotted on a bench somewhere waiting for a chance that never came or simply fell through the cracks as they were cut after their first camp (Hello Kurt Warner.. who was lucky to get a rare second chance, thanks to a NFLe league that now doesn't even exist and have Trent Green go down and the stars aligned later on for him) Hell even Tom Brady had to have things happen that were out of his control in order for him to get his shot.

The only thing a higher draft round selection gets you is a increased chance to prove what you can do in this league, but once you get it and you prove it, nobody really gives a damn where you were drafted or where you went to school. Just like if you finally prove you can't do it, again... nobody gives a damn where you were drafted or where you went to school.

The odds are stacked against Keenum, nobody is going to doubt that, but it doesn't mean he can't beat them.. because they've been beat before.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 10-31-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2013   #488
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I disagree and I don't have to look any further than the bills. After jp losman fell on his face,they drafted trent edwards in the 3rd rdin 07. He looked pretty good for a few games. They entered 08 with a chance at flacco and they passed while the ravens moved up to get him. Well we know the story and the rule is unless you're sure your qb is the sanswer,you can't pass a guy who can be a franchise qb. Unless case looks like drew brees,they can't afford to pass a talented qb who might be a franchhise qb. The qb is the most important position and you can't hide that guy no matter the talent around him. Not to mention the texans have andrew luck in their division. If you don't catch up with him,the texans will be forever relugated to 2nd or 3rd place. Once the afc south was formed in 02,peyton manning won it every year except 1 time. its gonna happen like that again if the qb isn't question isn't solved.
And what round was Losman taken in? The draft is a crap shoot. UDFAs can play like high draft picks and high draft picks can play like UDFAs..

And no, Case doesn't have to play like Drew Brees.. Andrew Luck isn't even on that level yet, hell Drew Brees wasn't even Drew Brees until his 4th year in the league.. He played so bad his team picked up and went with another QB.

All Case has to do is flash and play like a NFL starter with promise for real growth in the future this season and he'll get another shot next year too.. At the most Houston would do is spend a mid round pick to back up the position like Seattle did with Russel Wilson (another QB the scouts missed out on). If Case just plays like I described this team has a HELL OF A LOT more holes to fill.. Like most of the offensive line, remember the last time we stuck a high round QB under center without having a quality line? How did that work out? I'm actually hoping that Case can even overcome it this season, hopefully his year of watching will help him.
Old 10-31-2013   #489
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121294 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ryan Fitzpatrick is Ryan Fitzpatrick and Case Keenum is Case Keenum.. they are their own man and two completely different players and neither has one to do with the other other than both were undrafted players

As far as how does a QB go undrafted.. How does a Tom Brady go in the 6th round (nearly undrafted), how does a Bart Starr go in the 17th round. How many QBs went undrafted in this league who could start, but never got a chance due just to the simple fact that they never got a chance to prove it, because they went undrafted.. we'll never know, but I'm pretty damn positive their were players just like that.

Just look at Arian Foster, if Tate doesn't get hurt and if Houston actually has a legit option at the position ahead of him.. does he get his chance to shine? If Schaub doesn't hit a career wall and if T.J. doesn't play like a UDFA.. does Case ever get a chance to prove if he can play or not?

I'm pretty sure just for those simple reasons alone, there's been UDFA QBs who never had the stars align for them and they rotted on a bench somewhere waiting for a chance that never came or simply fell through the cracks as they were cut after their first camp (Hello Kurt Warner.. who was lucky to get a rare second chance, thanks to a NFLe league that now doesn't even exist and have Trent Green go down and the stars aligned later on for him) Hell even Tom Brady had to have things happen that were out of his control in order for him to get his shot.

The only thing a higher draft round selection gets you is a increased chance to prove what you can do in this league, but once you get it and you prove it, nobody really gives a damn where you were drafted or where you went to school. Just like if you finally prove you can't do it, again... nobody gives a damn where you were drafted or where you went to school.

The odds are stacked against Keenum, nobody is going to doubt that, but it doesn't mean he can't beat them.. because they've been beat before.
Old 10-31-2013   #490
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And what round was Losman taken in? The draft is a crap shoot. UDFAs can play like high draft picks and high draft picks can play like UDFAs..

And no, Case doesn't have to play like Drew Brees.. Andrew Luck isn't even on that level yet, hell Drew Brees wasn't even Drew Brees until his 4th year in the league.. He played so bad his team picked up and went with another QB.

All Case has to do is flash and play like a NFL starter with promise for real growth in the future this season and he'll get another shot next year too.. At the most Houston would do is spend a mid round pick to back up the position like Seattle did with Russel Wilson (another QB the scouts missed out on). If Case just plays like I described this team has a HELL OF A LOT more holes to fill.. Like most of the offensive line, remember the last time we stuck a high round QB under center without having a quality line? How did that work out? I'm actually hoping that Case can even overcome it this season, hopefully his year of watching will help him.
To me its better to have the cowboys situation with aikman/walsh or sd with brees/rivers than passing a franchise type talent and regret it like buffalo by passing flacco. If you take a qb with the 1st rd pick and keenum proves to be a starter then you can always trade keenum or the rookie and recoup the pick. The eagles got a 2nd for their backup feely and a 1st and a player for kolb. In a qb starved league,have depth or percieved qb talent is a bonus. The chiefs got a 2nd,the top of the rd 2nd for smith. The texans were offered a 3rd for rosencopter but didn't trade him because they weren't sure about schaubs health.
Old 10-31-2013   #491
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413120 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I disagree and I don't have to look any further than the bills. After jp losman fell on his face,they drafted trent edwards in the 3rd rdin 07. He looked pretty good for a few games. They entered 08 with a chance at flacco and they passed while the ravens moved up to get him. Well we know the story and the rule is unless you're sure your qb is the sanswer,you can't pass a guy who can be a franchise qb.
One example does not make a rule especially where the example is not analogous. Flacco was replacing nobody, oops actually he was replacing a "franchise QB" taken one spot away from him.

Many drafts there are zero or 1 franchise QB. Others several franchise QBs are taken who flop before you get to the best QB. Going back far enough to have some judgement:

2009 - Stafford
2008 - Ryan and Flacco (1 and 2)
2007 - None
2006 - Cutler (3rd QB taken)
2005 - Rodgers (2nd)
2004 - Eli, Rivers and Big Ben (1-3) - exceptional draft - Romo (18+)
2003 - None
2002 - None
2001 - Brees (2nd)
2000 - Brady (7th)

Now how many of those guys were drafted to replace anyone of substance? The only arguable ones are Rodgers after an epic slide in anticipation of the retirement of Favre and Rivers to replace a Brees who at the time had done nothing, So really none.

Where are the teams who successfully upgraded their healthy, young, at least Matt Schaub level QB - 92 QB rating? The NFL does not appear to be built on your rule.

Quote:
Unless case looks like drew brees,they can't afford to pass a talented qb who might be a franchhise qb.
Bad invocation of Brees - he had a 67.5 QB rating when they drafted Rivers.

For the record, prior to the season I was in favor of drafting a replacement for Schaub (even assuming the Texans were doing well and Schaub was playing to his norm) no later than the 3rd round and preferably earlier because of Schaub's age.
Old 10-31-2013   #492
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dalemurphy, I agree players are mis judged,but how does a qb go undrafted? I mean they said ryan fitzpatrick had one of the best chalkboard sessions ever. He stuck around,got his chance under gailey,played well early and turned it into a big payday. Then teams found out he couldn't push the ball to certain quads of the field. He's still getting a great. Nfl check as a backup,but he was undrafted For a reason also. Could case be like this? Could. Should Keenum continue to be the starter? Yes. Would or should the texans pass a qb in the 1st rd? No!
Steve DeBerg, drafted in the 10th rd ( #275 overall.)
Threw for 34,241 yards in his career.

Bill kenney, drafted in the 13th (#333 overall)
Threw for 17,277 yards.
One-time Pro-Bowler

Trent green, drafted in the 8th
Threw for 28,475 yards
Two-time PB

Doug Flutie, 11th rd
Pro bowler

Brian Sipe, 13th rd
23,714 yards, PB

The UDFA club:
Jake Delhome, Jon Kitna, Tony Romo, Kurt Warner,
Bart Star, Jack Kemp, Warren Moon, Tom Flores,
Jim Hart, Bobby Hebert, Dave Krieg, Jim Zorn.

I'm sure I missed a name or two.
Add to that the list of late rounders who made good-great starters.

Add to that the list of guys who were heavy spot-starters, multiply by 22, and I believe it's you who needs to explain to us why so many teams missed on their picks.

Also, proclaiming that the Texans need to look for a QB in the first round is premature, I think.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #493
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

76Texan - with the scouting the have now,they're not missing qb with talent nearly as much. All those guys you list were at least 10 yrs ago which is a lifetime in the nfl. The most recent guy was tony romo who played at what eastern michigan or somewhere like that? Go look at the last 10 yrs of superbowl qbs and see where they where drafted. That is the real obejective right? Now if you want a guy to get you through a season or so, fine. The way the nfl is setup today and going forward ,your qb will have to makeup for faults in your team because of the salary cap restrictions. Its not like it used to be when you could build your team all the way up and just get a guy to manage the game. The dilfer ravens and johnson bucs wnt happen again that I can see. Look at the holes the last 5 sb qb had to overcome ie ol,rb,wr injuries and such. Unless you have a stacked team and you can win with a guy on his rookie deal,the qb is gonna have holes on the team. We've seen big ben,rodgers,and eli win sbs with avg o-line and minimum run games. That's the wrld we're in now.

Really what it boils down to is talent evaluation. If the coaches view keenum as a franchise qb,they better be right or you will get fired quickly. Same can be said of the 1st or 2nd rd qb. My thing is as I mentioned before,id rather have 2 chances at being right than 1. Dallas had aikman and drafted walsh with a 1st rd supp pick. After the wash out,they got a 1st rd pick for walsh. In sd after trading down and drafting brees with the 1st pick in the 2nd rd even with his struggless,they still drafted rivers. The turned out to be on both qbs ad should've gotten something more than the 3rd. Rd compensatory pick for brees. Qb is a commodity in this league. If case flashes enough to say he's a starter,but the team continue to struggle and the coach gm evealuate a player there as a franchise qb in the 1st rd,you can't pass him or you shouldn't pass him. Now we do know gms and coaches can talk themselves into believing the guy on the roser is the guy or the guy a the draft position is the guy. As long as your right,its not a problem. Trading a qb on a rookie deal who is performing can yield a lot. I mean pats got a 1st rd pick for matt cassell who went undrafted and green bay got a 1st for hassellback from seattle who was a 6th rd pick if I remember.

Last edited by leebigeztx; 10-31-2013 at 07:43 AM.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #494
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

No, I don't want to waste time with Cutler or Freeman. If we go after a QB in the first I want them to be in that mold. Prototypical size, big arm, athletic enough. If either of those guys had Kubiak working with them I think their careers would have been much different.

Freeman is still young enough that we may not know who he is, or what he can be, but I didn't care for the way he handled the Buccaneer thing. Ponder can be special, I think. Our guys aren't Percy Harvin, but they're pretty good after the catch. Ponder looks perfect for the WCO.

Keep in mind, I have no idea who these QBs are coming out in the draft. If you think one of those guys can be a franchise guy (& you don't believe Case can) then you've got to take him in the first. Otherwise, I'd rather bring in a stop-gap (with potential) like Ponder & get two of the following three; OT, OG, ILB, in the first & second round.
Old 10-31-2013   #495
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
76Texan - with the scouting the have now,they're not missing qb with talent nearly as much. All those guys you list were at least 10 yrs ago which is a lifetime in the nfl. The most recent guy was tony romo who played at what eastern michigan or somewhere like that? Go look at the last 10 yrs of superbowl qbs and see where they where drafted. That is the real obejective right? Now if you want a guy to get you through a season or so, fine. The way the nfl is setup today and going forward ,your qb will have to makeup for faults in your team because of the salary cap restrictions. Its not like it used to be when you could build your team all the way up and just get a guy to manage the game. The dilfer ravens and johnson bucs wnt happen again that I can see. Look at the holes the last 5 sb qb had to overcome ie ol,rb,wr injuries and such. Unless you have a stacked team and you can win with a guy on his rookie deal,the qb is gonna have holes on the team. We've seen big ben,rodgers,and eli win sbs with avg o-line and minimum run games. That's the wrld we're in now.

Really what it boils down to is talent evaluation. If the coaches view keenum as a franchise qb,they better be right or you will get fired quickly. Same can be said of the 1st or 2nd rd qb. My thing is as I mentioned before,id rather have 2 chances at being right than 1. Dallas had aikman and drafted walsh with a 1st rd supp pick. After the wash out,they got a 1st rd pick for walsh. In sd after trading down and drafting brees with the 1st pick in the 2nd rd even with his struggless,they still drafted rivers. The turned out to be on both qbs ad should've gotten something more than the 3rd. Rd compensatory pick for brees. Qb is a commodity in this league. If case flashes enough to say he's a starter,but the team continue to struggle and the coach gm evealuate a player there as a franchise qb in the 1st rd,you can't pass him or you shouldn't pass him. Now we do know gms and coaches can talk themselves into believing the guy on the roser is the guy or the guy a the draft position is the guy. As long as your right,its not a problem. Trading a qb on a rookie deal who is performing can yield a lot. I mean pats got a 1st rd pick for matt cassell who went undrafted and green bay got a 1st for hassellback from seattle who was a 6th rd pick if I remember.
We also make a mistake when we assume a drafted QB that becomes great in one situation would also succeed in the others. Brady May never have surfaced,and certainly not as an all time great, if a set of weird circumstances don't happen. If the raiders drafted Montana, I doubt he would have looked anything like the guy bill Walsh developed. Similarly, there are guys that never reached their potential because of the situation they were in.

More than any position, there are so many factors that contribute to the development of a great QB that the first mistake often made is believing they can all be assessed or identified. Keenum'a potential ceiling is as uncertain as the next nine games. If he is part of a magical run, all of a sudden, players and coaches believe in him-even if his play is inconsistent.

Brady built his career on a mythology that existed only because of a Bledsoe injury, a snowy football game, absurd reversal on replay, and an impossible viniteri field goal. If that fumble wasn't overturned, is brady even in the league now? Does he ever get to a Super Bowl? Does his team and he, himself, ever have the confidence in him to overcome so much?
Old 10-31-2013   #496
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Leebig, let's have some numbers down first.

In the last ten years (not counting 2013), there were 31 QBs drafted in the first round.
These guys were given the starting spot and littered the NFL rosters such that there were some 14 (fourteen) more of them than non-first-round starters last year, yet the number of first-round QBs that made it to the big dance amounted to roughly the same as non-first-rounders.

That also held true for the previous ten years.

Who's to say that first round QBs give a team the best chance?
On top of that, if you trade out of the first round, you can get at least a second and a third, with which you can use to draft more lower round QBs, further enhancing the chance to find the right one (especially when you can't get a sure-fire franchise QB in the first.)

For this reason, I didn't even want to spend a first on guys like RG III and VY.
These guys need to make plays with their legs to be worthy of their draft status (VY more so than RG III). There's more of an injury risk with this type of QB; and you can be out of a lot of cap space if they go down.
Old 10-31-2013   #497
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Also, as you have said yourself, teams were getting good trade values for guys they drafted low and developed.
Why waste your first round draft pick when you're not really sold on them?
Old 10-31-2013   #498
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Also, as you have said yourself, teams were getting good trade values for guys they drafted low and developed.
I totally agree with Leebigeztx that I do not want the Texans to ignore the QB position early in the draft by placing too much faith/trust in Keenum, even if he looks good the rest of the year.

What I would want to avoid, to your point, is a mindset that is determined to go get a QB early in the draft that is not based on sound evaluation that he is a guy worthy of the pick and the time investment. The QB position, IMO, is very different that others. Almost any other position, a team can enter the draft determined to get their highest rated player at a position and have a reason to be confident that player will at least make the team better. QBs don't work that way.

I think the reason why teams miss on QBs in the draft so often is that they have predetermined to get one- overpay for him, while they really have no idea/reason to believe the player is likely to work out, but they don't want the fan base to freak out because QB wasn't addressed, and they don't fully explore other options in FA and in trade- which may be more costly in the short term but save the team four years of headaches and wheel-spinning.
Old 10-31-2013   #499
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Its not a waste if u get it right like sd and dallas did. As I said its evaluation. Starting with the cam newton class, it looks like carolina,cincy, and 49ers were right. The jury is still out on locker and ponder,gabbert is trash. Even withbthe failures of gabbert, jax cant afford to pass bridgewater or other qbs who may be rated as a franchise qb. A team can fool themselves like parcells did and take jake long 1st and decided to get chad henne in the 2nd passing on matt ryan. Well 5 yrs later, we seenhow thats worked out.
Old 10-31-2013   #500
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe some insight into Kubiak and what we saw with Schaub and what we may see from Case on Sunday.
Quote:

(on calling plays for QB Case Keenum now that he’s seen him play in a game)
“Well, I think I’m getting to know him more and more each day. Obviously, as a coach, you’ve got a big game plan and I learned from Coach (Bill) Walsh, you can give them all of the game plan you want, but it’s your job to do what they know and do what they do well. He’s got a big plan on his plate. I watch him throughout the course of the week and try to get a really good feel for what I know he’s confident with. I also, I’ve always done it with my quarterbacks, I give them my call sheet on Friday morning and I have them mark my call sheet how they like things. Between him giving me feedback and me watching him, we try to come up with the things he does best.”
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read