Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who gets the start at QB after the buy?
Keenum 162 88.52%
Schaub 21 11.48%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2013   #461
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who gets the start at QB after the bye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
U don't have to believe my eyes ,use ur own. So tell me with a arm the same as wilson on the radar as you quoted he went undrafted because gms questioned his arm talent? No gm ever questioned wilson,cam,or manuels arm talent.
I'd be surprised if GMs were more worried about his arm than other factors. Keenum throws a nice ball.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #462
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
U don't have to believe my eyes ,use ur own. So tell me with a arm the same as wilson on the radar as you quoted he went undrafted because gms questioned his arm talent? No gm ever questioned wilson,cam,or manuels arm talent.
there are several reasons he went undrafted - "your eyes" being one of them. if you see a floater for 30 yards and a 10 yard out that doesnt have much zip, that is the definition. if someone else sees the same thing it becomes popular opinion and spreads like wildfire. a 60 yard strike followed by a 20 yard laser dont register because the conclusion is already reached. your eyes saw what scouts did - he didnt have enough arm despite having more than enough arm.

another is school history - from andre ware to kevin kolb. a UofH product isnt going to produce next level. another is the offense. a spread record breaker isnt going to make it because the hawaii and texas tech record breakers arent NFL caliber quarterbacks. another is his size. teams want a 6'5" 240lb prototype. another is his age. he was 2 years too old coming out of college. another is the system didnt have him pro ready and there wasnt an answer to whether he could adjust to being under the center.

there are many factors going into his not being drafted. do any of those speak to the quarterback he is or could become? i think not, but then again i'm not being paid to see these things.
Old 10-30-2013   #463
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'd be surprised if GMs were more worried about his arm than other factors. Keenum throws a nice ball.
I was wrong. Just looked up some scouting reports and it appears that arm-strength and a lack of pocket presence were his two biggest knocks.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #464
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Andrew luck scouting report: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012aluck.php
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #465
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
arm strength has to be the single worst critique of a quarterback. i'd take a healthy chad pennington over most of the quarterbacks playing today. either you can make throws or you cant, having a jamarcus russel or david carr cannon doesnt mean squat.
Old 10-30-2013   #466
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 28606 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I didn't say anything about Garcia being a put down.

As far as arm strength is concerned, give me a good reason why I should trust your eyes over a speed gun.

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2013/03/27/...ine-2008-2012/

I'm good with Keenum ball velocity at 55 mph.
Same as Russell Wilson;
One mile faster than EJ Manuel, the last first rounder.
One mile slower than Cam Newton, a previous number one overall pick.
From that link:

Quote:
Joe Flacco, Delaware 55
Isn't Flacco considered to have maybe the best arm in the league? Either this study is off, we're taking it out of context, of people don't know what they're talking about. Why would there ever be any doubt in Keenum's arm strength if these numbers are freely available?
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #467
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Keenum's list of converts grows

By John McClain

October 30, 2013

For the last two seasons, I've been besieged with emails from University of Houston fans extolling the talent and character of Texans quarterback Case Keenum.

There was no questioning Keenum's character, not after the fortitude he showed during six years at UH. He spent more time on campus than some professors.

I have to admit I didn't believe those loyal Cougars fans who never wavered in their conviction Keenum could succeed in the NFL. Every team bypassed him in every round of the draft. How could they all be so wrong so many times?

Keenum spent his rookie season on the practice squad. He was inactive behind Matt Schaub and T.J. Yates for the first six games this year.

Coach Gary Kubiak, offensive coordinator Rick Dennison and quarterbacks coach Karl Dorrell have a combined 57 years of NFL experience, but it wasn't until Oct. 20 they finally unleashed Keenum at Kansas City.

Great story in the offing

Now, though, after watching Keenum throw for 271 yards and a touchdown without an interception in a 17-16 loss to the unbeaten Chiefs and examining so many I-told-you-so comments from those same UH fans, I'm a believer. I think.

Keenum has a long way to go before he proves he can be successful on a consistent basis, but he's off to a good start. We're going to find out a lot more about his legitimacy in Sunday night's nationally televised game against Indianapolis at Reliant Stadium.

Keenum was impressive at Arrowhead Stadium with one week to practice. Now he's getting two weeks to prepare for the Colts.

His teammates like what they've seen.

"He's a natural-born leader," left tackle Duane Brown said. "Some guys just have that aura about them, that swagger. They rally guys together. People just naturally have a certain level of respect for them.

"He works hard. He's very vocal. He tries to get the energy level up in practice. That's good to see. I'm excited (to see) what he can do for us."

Will a star be born on NBC, or will the Texans suffer a sixth consecutive defeat and join Atlanta as the biggest disappointments of the NFL season?

If the Texans can upset the first-place Colts - and that's a big if considering what a disaster they've been - they have a chance to get on a roll. None of the next three opponents - Arizona, Oakland and Jacksonville - has a winning record.

Imagine what a terrific story it would be if Keenum ignites the Texans to a 6-5 record when New England visits Reliant Stadium.

We're getting ahead of ourselves, of course.

It would be helpful if Keenum had running backs Arian Foster and Ben Tate healthy. It would help if tight end Owen Daniels were ready to go and not stuck on injured reserve. And it would help if inside linebacker Brian Cushing and strong safety Danieal Manning weren't on injured reserve, too.

But the absence of the injured players makes the Keenum situation even more intriguing. He doesn't have healthy running backs or the Pro Bowl tight end. And the defense is short-handed without Cushing and Manning.

No. 1 pick a QB?

The coaches have high expectations for Keenum or he wouldn't be starting.

"I want to see him move forward," Kubiak said. "He's got to improve. Our team's got to improve around him."

Unless Keenum is injured or plays so poorly Kubiak has no other choice than to bench him, expect Keenum to start the rest of the season. The Texans must find out if he can be their quarterback or if they'll have to use their first-round pick on a prospect.
THE REST OF THE STORY
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-30-2013   #468
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208045 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

In response to the "Keenum went undrafted for a reason" argument - that's true. The reason is a lot simpler than y'all mental contortionists would like to admit. The reason is stunningly simple - you were WRONG.
Old 10-30-2013   #469
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Published scouting reports are humorous. They are often filled with miscalculations and thrown together without much thought. In that business, respect is essential. So, those publications tend to organize their analysis to fit in with conventional wisdom instead of actually representing an isolated perspective on a player.

Clearly, though, more than just the publications were turned off by Keenum. The question is "why" and are the issues legitimate and unsurmountable.

I think his size is what most likely dismissed him in the eyes of the NFL scouts... coming in below that minimum bar of 6 ft. 2 inches, without any eye-catching skills to supplement the lack of heighth was probably a deal-breaker.

I have no idea if he will become a good NFL QB. I hope so. What seemed clear is that he did not lack necessary arm strength, accuracy, or have any mechanical issues with his delivery. I also did not see his heighth as an issue.

Here is my biggest concern: his ability to throw in the pocket, from under center... He has to overcome footwork issues from a lack of experience under center and teams scheming for him and preparing to clutter the middle throwing lanes with bodies and arms... will he be able to see and also get passes away without being knocked down? I think that will be the biggest physical test.
Old 10-30-2013   #470
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58901 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are u being serious or are u playing?
What about that makes you think I'm playing?
Old 10-30-2013   #471
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Keenum holds the highest QB rating at Arrowhead this season.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #472
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Keenum holds the highest QB rating at Arrowhead this season.
Keenum is the best QB on the Texans right now. When you consider Schaub and Yates though, that's not exactly high praise. But until he proves it to me otherwise, I'm going to continue to believe that Keenum is the future of the Texans.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #473
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

NFL has keenum at 6'1".
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #474
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 17901 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Joe Montana
official height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
official weight: 205 lb.

Case Keenum
official height: 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)
official weight: 205 lb.

I doubt 3 hundredths of a meter will completely make or
break a quarterback's career.

And just for you guys jonesing for him:

Johnny Manziel (from draft scout)
official height: 5 ft 11.5 in
official weight: 210 lb.

One should never make more out of the numbers than
what they really are..

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #475
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Published scouting reports are humorous. They are often filled with miscalculations and thrown together without much thought. In that business, respect is essential. So, those publications tend to organize their analysis to fit in with conventional wisdom instead of actually representing an isolated perspective on a player.

Clearly, though, more than just the publications were turned off by Keenum. The question is "why" and are the issues legitimate and unsurmountable.

I think his size is what most likely dismissed him in the eyes of the NFL scouts... coming in below that minimum bar of 6 ft. 2 inches, without any eye-catching skills to supplement the lack of heighth was probably a deal-breaker.

I have no idea if he will become a good NFL QB. I hope so. What seemed clear is that he did not lack necessary arm strength, accuracy, or have any mechanical issues with his delivery. I also did not see his heighth as an issue.

Here is my biggest concern: his ability to throw in the pocket, from under center...
Quote:
He has to overcome footwork issues from a lack of experience under center and teams scheming for him and preparing to clutter the middle throwing lanes with bodies and arms... will he be able to see and also get passes away without being knocked down? I think that will be the biggest physical test.

I think that sums it up nicely.

Throwing on the move should be his strong suit, teams will scheme to minimize that.

Old 10-30-2013   #476
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
So why did shannahan give up 2 #1s and a 2nd for rg3? Lienhart was a bum and 3yrs later jets moved up to get sanchez.
RG3 didn't excel in Conference USA.

Lienart appeared to be on track in 2008.

Kolb was meh..... in 2011.

However, if you don't think Keenum's draft status was related to Kolb's performance, what's your theory? He's as tall as Wilson & Kaepernick, so it couldn't have been his height.
Old 10-30-2013   #477
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...hrowing-drills

Not the end all be all.
Old 10-30-2013   #478
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
there are several reasons he went undrafted -

his age. he was 2 years too old coming out of college.
I do believe it's as you stated, several reasons stacked against him. However, this one may end up working in our favor. Being a little more mature than you're average kid straight out of college... hopefully he'll improve by leaps & bounds as he sees NFL defenses in games that count.
Old 10-30-2013   #479
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58901 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Neither is that.

Quote:
For the 24-year-old, Monday was about showcasing his true abilities after being hampered by a hamstring injury at the NFL scouting combine in February. The Abilene native revealed that he strained his right hamstring running his second 40-yard dash at the combine and that it affected his throwing during drills. On Monday, there were no ill effects from the injury, as Keenum whizzed pass after pass to receivers on a variety of patterns, showed capable arm strength and displayed his athleticism with a 4.31-second time in the 20-yard shuttle and 6.89 seconds in the three-cone drill.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2012&genpos=QB
Old 10-30-2013   #480
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208045 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
If NFL teams based their evaluation of his arm strength on an injured performance, then they're as stupid as anyone who believes he doesn't have NFL caliber arm strength. And that is the reason he wasn't drafted. People are stupid when it comes to groupthink situations. They just parrot what the other guy said. The Texans were at least smart enough to take a look at him once he healed up and decided he was worth taking a flier on.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read