Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who gets the start at QB after the buy?
Keenum 162 88.52%
Schaub 21 11.48%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2013   #441
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82097 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who gets the start at QB after the bye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I'm comparing his talent to the talent of those guys. There is a prototype to the kind of guy to run this system. Maybe case will be the next jeff garcia in this offense,I don't know. If he plays as well as garcia did in sf, is that good enough to contend for this division and a title? I'm not sure especially with luck in the same division.. I don't think they should pass a very talented qb thinking case could be like garcia either. Push comes to shove, you can trade case or the draft pick.
The next Jeff Garcia? Are you serious?
Old 10-30-2013   #442
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy_gt View Post
how are you going to compare case to elite qbs when he hasn't even played at home yet and hasn't had time to adjust? give the guy some room.

remember, case played the best among the other 7 teams this year against the chiefs. he's better than all those guys.

there's a thread on here with a bunch a people saying case would never start in the pros. there's a bunch of people that said case would miserably fail against the best defense in the chiefs and we'd be seeing pick 6's. case is short and he's going to have a lot of balls batted down.

i'll take a young case than those terrible plays favre and mcnabb has made at the end of their career. not saying case is the savior but he'll need some time to grow.
The fact that Leebig has to pull out some pretty good names to talk down Keenum is quite telling.

That's good compliment for you there, Case.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #443
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The fact that Leebig has to pull out some pretty good names to talk down Keenum is quite telling.

That's good compliment for you there, Case.
How is jeff garcia in sf a put down? 2 time pro bowler on merit and took sf to the playoffs.
Old 10-30-2013   #444
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
The next Jeff Garcia? Are you serious?
i dont know, garcia might be a good comparison, though case is infinitely more accurate. jeff at 25 years old, with proper coaching, in a tailor made system, and with today's weapons and rules might've been something special. as it was, he was a solid quarterback who took a declining 49'ers team as far as it would go and posted good QBR and TD/INT ratios on really bad teams. i think brees is another very similar player, though in more ideal situations.

to me case is exactly in that mold. the right combination of mobility outside of the pocket and especially inside, fantastic downfield touch, quick reads, just enough arm, and the guts and will power that makes a leader. kubiak would do well by going back in time to garcia, and sneaking looks into the saints' playbook. keenum can make serious moves with a somewhat "chaotic" gameplan - mixing in a ton of screens and draws, crossing routes, deep sideline and skinny posts, power runs, and rollouts. to make the most of a quarterback like keenum or garcia or brees, allow them to throw the kitchen sink at the defense. the disguise that we're familiar with from schaub isnt the correct approach with keenum IMO. he's much better off with a more diversified playbook.
Old 10-30-2013   #445
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82097 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i dont know, garcia might be a good comparison, though case is infinitely more accurate. jeff at 25 years old, with proper coaching, in a tailor made system, and with today's weapons and rules might've been something special. as it was, he was a solid quarterback who took a declining 49'ers team as far as it would go and posted good QBR and TD/INT ratios on really bad teams. i think brees is another very similar player, though in more ideal situations.

to me case is exactly in that mold. the right combination of mobility outside of the pocket and especially inside, fantastic downfield touch, quick reads, just enough arm, and the guts and will power that makes a leader. kubiak would do well by going back in time to garcia, and sneaking looks into the saints' playbook. keenum can make serious moves with a somewhat "chaotic" gameplan - mixing in a ton of screens and draws, crossing routes, deep sideline and skinny posts, power runs, and rollouts. to make the most of a quarterback like keenum or garcia or brees, allow them to throw the kitchen sink at the defense. the disguise that we're familiar with from schaub isnt the correct approach with keenum IMO. he's much better off with a more diversified playbook.
Brees or Garcia. Wonder which one I'd rather have...
Old 10-30-2013   #446
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How is jeff garcia in sf a put down? 2 time pro bowler on merit and took sf to the playoffs.
I didn't say anything about Garcia being a put down.

As far as arm strength is concerned, give me a good reason why I should trust your eyes over a speed gun.

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2013/03/27/...ine-2008-2012/

I'm good with Keenum ball velocity at 55 mph.
Same as Russell Wilson;
One mile faster than EJ Manuel, the last first rounder.
One mile slower than Cam Newton, a previous number one overall pick.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #447
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brees or Garcia. Wonder which one I'd rather have...
in the same time and situations, they may have been the same player. garcia holds the 49ers record for yardage in a season and is second in touchdowns - without rice and taylor. he did this at 30+ years old. to a lot of people jeff garcia is the epitome of "what could've been".

that's leaving the conversation though. what's being said is like garcia, young, brees, elway, etc ... keenum looks exactly like what a walsh WCO quarterback should look like. he has the exact same skillset.
Old 10-30-2013   #448
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
in the same time and situations, they may have been the same player. garcia holds the 49ers record for yardage in a season and is second in touchdowns - without rice and taylor. he did this at 30+ years old. to a lot of people jeff garcia is the epitome of "what could've been".
I never watched Garcia play so I can't speak to that, only his statistics and resume. Brees is miles ahead of him in this category. I'd much rather have Case become a Brees type than a Garcia type, for obvious reasons
Old 10-30-2013   #449
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As far as arm strength is concerned, give me a good reason why I should trust your eyes over a speed gun.

Same as Russell Wilson;
U don't have to believe my eyes ,use ur own. So tell me with a arm the same as wilson on the radar as you quoted he went undrafted because gms questioned his arm talent? No gm ever questioned wilson,cam,or manuels arm talent.
Old 10-30-2013   #450
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
U don't have to believe my eyes ,use ur own. So tell me with a arm the same as wilson on the radar as you quoted he went undrafted because gms questioned his arm talent? No gm ever questioned wilson,cam,or manuels arm talent.
I bet if Kolb wasn't such a colossal failure Keenum would have been drafted.

Had Kolb remained the starter in Philly & took that team into the play-offs, I bet Keenum would have been drafted on day 1.
Old 10-30-2013   #451
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I bet if Kolb wasn't such a colossal failure Keenum would have been drafted.

Had Kolb remained the starter in Philly & took that team into the play-offs, I bet Keenum would have been drafted on day 1.
So why did shannahan give up 2 #1s and a 2nd for rg3? Lienhart was a bum and 3yrs later jets moved up to get sanchez.
Old 10-30-2013   #452
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He can throw 50 yards into the wind, and he has the same velocity as Cam Newton and Joe Flacco, what more do you want?
Old 10-30-2013   #453
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He can throw 50 yards into the wind, and he has the same velocity as Cam Newton and Joe Flacco, what more do you want?

Are u being serious or are u playing?
Old 10-30-2013   #454
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd be surprised if GMs were more worried about his arm than other factors. Keenum throws a nice ball.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #455
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
there are several reasons he went undrafted - "your eyes" being one of them. if you see a floater for 30 yards and a 10 yard out that doesnt have much zip, that is the definition. if someone else sees the same thing it becomes popular opinion and spreads like wildfire. a 60 yard strike followed by a 20 yard laser dont register because the conclusion is already reached. your eyes saw what scouts did - he didnt have enough arm despite having more than enough arm.

another is school history - from andre ware to kevin kolb. a UofH product isnt going to produce next level. another is the offense. a spread record breaker isnt going to make it because the hawaii and texas tech record breakers arent NFL caliber quarterbacks. another is his size. teams want a 6'5" 240lb prototype. another is his age. he was 2 years too old coming out of college. another is the system didnt have him pro ready and there wasnt an answer to whether he could adjust to being under the center.

there are many factors going into his not being drafted. do any of those speak to the quarterback he is or could become? i think not, but then again i'm not being paid to see these things.
Old 10-30-2013   #456
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'd be surprised if GMs were more worried about his arm than other factors. Keenum throws a nice ball.
I was wrong. Just looked up some scouting reports and it appears that arm-strength and a lack of pocket presence were his two biggest knocks.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #457
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Andrew luck scouting report: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012aluck.php
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #458
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
arm strength has to be the single worst critique of a quarterback. i'd take a healthy chad pennington over most of the quarterbacks playing today. either you can make throws or you cant, having a jamarcus russel or david carr cannon doesnt mean squat.
Old 10-30-2013   #459
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40389 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Same as Russell Wilson;
From that link:

Quote:
Joe Flacco, Delaware 55
Isn't Flacco considered to have maybe the best arm in the league? Either this study is off, we're taking it out of context, of people don't know what they're talking about. Why would there ever be any doubt in Keenum's arm strength if these numbers are freely available?
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #460
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197411 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Keenum's list of converts grows

By John McClain

October 30, 2013

For the last two seasons, I've been besieged with emails from University of Houston fans extolling the talent and character of Texans quarterback Case Keenum.

There was no questioning Keenum's character, not after the fortitude he showed during six years at UH. He spent more time on campus than some professors.

I have to admit I didn't believe those loyal Cougars fans who never wavered in their conviction Keenum could succeed in the NFL. Every team bypassed him in every round of the draft. How could they all be so wrong so many times?

Keenum spent his rookie season on the practice squad. He was inactive behind Matt Schaub and T.J. Yates for the first six games this year.

Coach Gary Kubiak, offensive coordinator Rick Dennison and quarterbacks coach Karl Dorrell have a combined 57 years of NFL experience, but it wasn't until Oct. 20 they finally unleashed Keenum at Kansas City.

Great story in the offing

Now, though, after watching Keenum throw for 271 yards and a touchdown without an interception in a 17-16 loss to the unbeaten Chiefs and examining so many I-told-you-so comments from those same UH fans, I'm a believer. I think.

Keenum has a long way to go before he proves he can be successful on a consistent basis, but he's off to a good start. We're going to find out a lot more about his legitimacy in Sunday night's nationally televised game against Indianapolis at Reliant Stadium.

Keenum was impressive at Arrowhead Stadium with one week to practice. Now he's getting two weeks to prepare for the Colts.

His teammates like what they've seen.

"He's a natural-born leader," left tackle Duane Brown said. "Some guys just have that aura about them, that swagger. They rally guys together. People just naturally have a certain level of respect for them.

"He works hard. He's very vocal. He tries to get the energy level up in practice. That's good to see. I'm excited (to see) what he can do for us."

Will a star be born on NBC, or will the Texans suffer a sixth consecutive defeat and join Atlanta as the biggest disappointments of the NFL season?

If the Texans can upset the first-place Colts - and that's a big if considering what a disaster they've been - they have a chance to get on a roll. None of the next three opponents - Arizona, Oakland and Jacksonville - has a winning record.

Imagine what a terrific story it would be if Keenum ignites the Texans to a 6-5 record when New England visits Reliant Stadium.

We're getting ahead of ourselves, of course.

It would be helpful if Keenum had running backs Arian Foster and Ben Tate healthy. It would help if tight end Owen Daniels were ready to go and not stuck on injured reserve. And it would help if inside linebacker Brian Cushing and strong safety Danieal Manning weren't on injured reserve, too.

But the absence of the injured players makes the Keenum situation even more intriguing. He doesn't have healthy running backs or the Pro Bowl tight end. And the defense is short-handed without Cushing and Manning.

No. 1 pick a QB?

The coaches have high expectations for Keenum or he wouldn't be starting.

"I want to see him move forward," Kubiak said. "He's got to improve. Our team's got to improve around him."

Unless Keenum is injured or plays so poorly Kubiak has no other choice than to bench him, expect Keenum to start the rest of the season. The Texans must find out if he can be their quarterback or if they'll have to use their first-round pick on a prospect.
THE REST OF THE STORY
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read