Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who gets the start at QB after the buy?
Keenum 162 88.52%
Schaub 21 11.48%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2013   #181
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who gets the start at QB after the bye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i agree to an extent, all i am saying is the ball was still in his hands. Had he pulled the ball into his body right after he caught it then it would of been a TD.
You may not have noticed, but once he caught it, instead of pulling it in immediately, he wasted movement unecessarily trying to re-position the ball in his hands.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #182
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
You may not have noticed, but once he caught it, instead of pulling it in immediately, he wasted movement unecessarily trying to re-position the ball in his hands.
Was not the greatest throw, was not the worst throw. Hopkins and kubiak both said that's a catch they expect him to make. Keenum said he expects to throw a better ball there.

But you're right looking at it from Hopkins perspective he could have pulled the ball into his body. I said that when it happened.

From keenums perspective he could have placed the ball better and given Hopkins an easier catch.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #183
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Was not the greatest throw, was not the worst throw. Hopkins and kubiak both said that's a catch they expect him to make. Keenum said he expects to throw a better ball there.

But you're right looking at it from Hopkins perspective he could have pulled the ball into his body. I said that when it happened.

From keenums perspective he could have placed the ball better and given Hopkins an easier catch.
Yep. It was not a great throw by Keenum. It was in the area, but not to the desired location. However, it hit Hopkins in the hands and he had it. You have to make that catch.

Both guys are young and talented. Both will do better next time.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #184
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Kubiak: ‘Matt’s our starting quarterback’

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...g-quarterback/

Case Keenum was solid in his NFL debut, a 17-16 loss at Kansas City, but he didn’t change coach Gary Kubiak’s mind about the starting position.

“Matt’s our starting quarterback,” Kubiak said of the veteran Schaub. “Case played this week.”

Kubiak said he would re-evaulate the position during the Texans’ bye week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Eff. Gary. Kubiak.
You're reading this quote as the final answer. There was more emphasis than normal by Kubiak on that "we're going to evaluate that position... err, we're going to evaluate every position..."

He's just following the press conference teachings of Bill Belichick, i.e., answer the press pukes' questions but provide as little real information as you can get away with.

This is just my SWAG (Scientific Wild-A$$ Guess) but I think Case starts the next game. Or if Schaub does start he's on a chain-type leash that has like four links in it.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #185
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
You're reading this quote as the final answer. There was more emphasis than normal by Kubiak on that "we're going to evaluate that position... err, we're going to evaluate every position..."

He's just following the press conference teachings of Bill Belichick, i.e., answer the press pukes' questions but provide as little real information as you can get away with.

This is just my SWAG (Scientific Wild-A$$ Guess) but I think Case starts the next game. Or if Schaub does start he's on a chain-type leash that has like four links in it.
I'm going with this assumption for now but if Kubiak throws Matt Schaub out there against the colts, I'll be in full blown pink/blue/yellow you name it fire Kubiak soap mode.
Old 10-22-2013   #186
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 80234 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
I'm going with this assumption for now but if Kubiak throws Matt Schaub out there against the colts, I'll be in full blown pink/blue/yellow you name it fire Kubiak soap mode.
Man I just don't know, how can a logical person watch the throws Case made and the movement case had and say Schaub is our best option...its just factually incorrect....case may not be the next best thing, but he is the best option we have right now.....let him finish the year and see if he is our top qb or if we need a first rounder.....give him the chance to earn the position going beyond this season
Old 10-22-2013   #187
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak better not even consider splitting reps again. Case deserves all the prep from this day on to be fully prepared.
Sponsored links
Old 10-22-2013   #188
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yes... There is no way Schaub will start against Indy. He knows it. Case knows it. Schaub knows it. However, he's not going to call Schaub out or create undo pressure for Case, etc... My guess is the big debate right now at Reliant is whether they should keep Schaub active or place him on I.R... IR solves one set of problems but creates another. I'm guessing Schaub stays active but won't be shocked with IR news.
Old 10-22-2013   #189
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 122341 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Man I just don't know, how can a logical person watch the throws Case made and the movement case had and say Schaub is our best option...its just factually incorrect....case may not be the next best thing, but he is the best option we have right now.....let him finish the year and see if he is our top qb or if we need a first rounder.....give him the chance to earn the position going beyond this season
Logical ? We are talking about Gary Kubiak here.....Since when besides this 1 week in starting Case over Yates has the man EVER been logical ?
Old 10-22-2013   #190
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 176918 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't understand why he would semi-commit to naming a starting quarterback AT ALL at the presser. It doesn't make any sense. Just say that you're evaluating every position. Don't put yourself in the position (and Matt in the position) of naming a starter if you intend on yanking the rug out from under Schaub.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #191
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

I don't know. Judging by the ones he caught vs Tennessee & the ones he caught in the preseason, looks like that's about where Hopkins "likes" it. Maybe a little bit higher, but I thought it was a good throw.

Had we seen some back-shoulder throws before now, I'd think that was an option, but it took us this long to come around to throwing a jump ball....

Baby steps.
Old 10-22-2013   #192
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You know I don't hate Schaub. But there's no way Kubiak can start Schaub.

He's coddled him long enough. The, "You're my guy." approach got us 4 losses in a row. That along with sub-par performance from the rest of the team.

We should be in the, "Sorry Matt, the kid gives us the better chance to win." mode.

Then it's up to Matt to get himself in the right frame of mind & be prepared to win his job back if he gets another opportunity. 1st team snaps aren't going to help him anyway.
Old 10-22-2013   #193
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

It's too bad Tonya Harding isn't a Texans fan, we wouldn't have to worry about Kubiak screwing this up.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #194
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Right, you'd have to throw qualifiers in there,
"Matt Schuab gives us the best chance to win if he's gotten over whatever he was suffering from & plays more aggressive than his norm."

"Matt Schaub gives us the best chance to win if Keenum doesn't take better care of the ball."
To assume those qualifiers to be true at this point, wouldn't be very smart. Schaub is in the position Keenum was in before Sunday. He's got to go out & prove he can handle the position & right now there's no reason to throw Matt out there if Case is healthy.
Old 10-22-2013   #195
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
Schaub would get killed by the fans if he started. I wouldnt do that to schaub after what he went through getting booed when he got hurt, the house and burger thing.
If Kubiak doesn't think Schaub is tougher than that, he never would have started him in the first place. He's the QB, he's got to be able to ignore "public scrutiny." He's got to be his own worse critic.

But right now, Schaub is like that gambler who thinks his luck is about to change.
Old 10-22-2013   #196
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Yes... There is no way Schaub will start against Indy. He knows it. Case knows it. Schaub knows it. However, he's not going to call Schaub out or create undo pressure for Case, etc... My guess is the big debate right now at Reliant is whether they should keep Schaub active or place him on I.R... IR solves one set of problems but creates another. I'm guessing Schaub stays active but won't be shocked with IR news.
IR would be both smart AND merciful, as whenever he is game ready again (and that is realistically not before 4-6 weeks post this type of injury), he will not be able to perform even as poorly as he did prior to this last injury.
Old 10-22-2013   #197
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Eh. The Hopkins throw shoulda been on his left shoulder and not his right. Keenum admitted that post game. But the Graham throw, I think maybe Graham is trained to run shallow to catch under-thrown balls from another certain QB on our roster that he was surprised it lead him perfectly and he shouldn't have stopped short.
Just as in college, Keenum always take the responsibility and put it on his shoulder.

Like I said in the All-encompassing Keenum thread; the ball was thrown to the right spot. Hopkins was tracking the ball from the get-go; he should have been able to use his body to shield the defender away.
A pair of 10-inch hands on the ball is AlWAYS a good throw.
Yes, a perfect throw would be a hair closer to Hopkins, a hair higher, and a hair, but this is the NFL, dude.

If Hopkins made that catch, everybody would have called it a GREAT throw.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #198
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I don't understand why he would semi-commit to naming a starting quarterback AT ALL at the presser. It doesn't make any sense. Just say that you're evaluating every position. Don't put yourself in the position (and Matt in the position) of naming a starter if you intend on yanking the rug out from under Schaub.
It's common practice for coaches to do an over-all evaluation during the bye week.
Old 10-22-2013   #199
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
IR would be both smart AND merciful, as whenever he is game ready again (and that is realistically not before 4-6 weeks post this type of injury), he will not be able to perform even as poorly as he did prior to this last injury.
Having Schaub on the bench is just fine (if he's healthy); sooner or later, Schaub will have to accept a backup/mentor role with some team.

We need Yates to run the scout team.
Old 10-22-2013   #200
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Having Schaub on the bench is just fine (if he's healthy); sooner or later, Schaub will have to accept a backup/mentor role with some team.

We need Yates to run the scout team.
Getting Schaub into the backup role gracefully seems to be the biggest sticking point. Kubiak and Schaub have a lot of history and respect for each other. It's all gonna be about saving face. But I do believe it will happen or Kubiak will be a players coach with no players.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read