Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2013   #1
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "Texans' QB Case Keenum earns Chiefs' respect with Poise, Big Plays"

Quote:
Entering the Chiefs' 17-16 win over the Texans on Sunday, it seemed reasonable to think Houston's second-year quarterback would be in for a long day.
Not only would Case Keenum, a man who went undrafted in 2012 due to his perceived lack of arm strength and mobility, be making his first career start on the road, he would be doing it at a rejuvenated Arrowhead Stadium, against the NFL's most ferocious pass rush.

But by the end of the day, even though the Texans lost, let's just say Keenum had made it clear he wasn't the overwhelmed, wide-eyed kid they expected him to be.

“The guy can definitely move around back there, buy some time for his receivers to get open and he has the arm strength to make the big play down the field,” said Chiefs cornerback Sean Smith. “I found that out the hard way.”
Safety Quintin Demps, who played with Keenum last season in Houston, wasn't necessarily surprised by Keenum's strong day. Keenum, 25, was a scout team quarterback last season as he learned Houston's offense under coach Gary Kubiak, whom Demps regards as one of the league's best quarterback gurus.

Demps remembers seeing Keenum make enough plays against the first-string defense to think he should have been drafted.

“I told y'all Keenum can play,” Demps said. “He's gonna be good ... he's got good composure. He's like a fourth-year guy as a rookie. That's very rare.”

At the end of the day, the combination of the Chiefs' ferocious defense and Arrowhead Stadium won out, as Keenum ended up leading his team to only one first down (while taking four sacks) in the crucial fourth quarter.

But in the process, Keenum still won the respect of the Chiefs, at least three of whom mentioned his “promising future” when discussing his day afterward.

“He definitely came in and played better than I thought he would,” Smith said. “He showed a lot of poise and confidence back there.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/20...#storylink=cpy
Just as I predicted, Keenum had an outstanding performance in his NFL Debut
vs the Chiefs.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #2
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Texans' QB Case Keenum earns Chiefs' respect with Poise, Big Plays"

The fact that there was a chance he could have been on the PS, how do you bring Kubiak back next year? Icing on the cake for the countless dumb stuff Kubiak has done. The bane of my enjoyment for the Texans.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #3
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Texans' QB Case Keenum earns Chiefs' respect with Poise, Big Plays"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
The fact that there was a chance he could have been on the PS, how do you bring Kubiak back next year? Icing on the cake for the countless dumb stuff Kubiak has done. The bane of my enjoyment for the Texans.
31 other teams didn't draft Keenum just like 31 other teams didn't draft Arian Foster, but Kubiak managed to get them both signed and on his PS, brought them along/developed them, and eventually got them both on the field and playing in this league.
Old 10-21-2013   #4
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

I stand by my statement. They gave Schaub a more than fair contract when you can get equal or better play from your third stringer.

This organization does not make good decisions and I'm sure I don't have to explain.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #5
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

i mean...unless they don't like you personally for whatever reason, no other player is gonna say anything bad about another player...it's comical people keep bringing in these player quotes like they mean something.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #6
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
I stand by my statement. They gave Schaub a more than fair contract when you can get equal or better play from your third stringer.

This organization does not make good decisions and I'm sure I don't have to explain.
I'm thinking that Keenum just started coming into his own this year (not during his rookie year in 2012), which meant Schaub had already been resigned to his new contract. Am I right about that ?
Now resigning Schaub in 2012, to me that's a different issue and something that we might both second-guess a lot especially after Matt's performances in recent games.
Old 10-21-2013   #7
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

I was went into Sunday's game relatively indifferent. Keenam impressed me and it LOOKED like he impressed the Chiefs. After the two minute warning they could shoved the ball down our throats and put more points on the board, but instead they elected to run out the clock and beat a team by a point whom they were predicted to obliterate. My hat is off to both young Mr. Keenam for facing a hell of a football team and not blinking and to Coach Andy Reed for being a class act.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2013   #8
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 6353 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
I was went into Sunday's game relatively indifferent. Keenam impressed me and it LOOKED like he impressed the Chiefs. After the two minute warning they could shoved the ball down our throats and put more points on the board, but instead they elected to run out the clock and beat a team by a point whom they were predicted to obliterate. My hat is off to both young Mr. Keenam for facing a hell of a football team and not blinking and to Coach Andy Reed for being a class act.
I agree that Andy Reid isn't the type to run up the score, but they also had an obvious strategic reason not to score again. If they did, we would get the ball back down only 8.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #9
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want to start hearing this isht, again. It's what good teams say about bad teams.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Yes, he is and always has been. In addition to being a very good HC. If only we were lucky enough to get a coach as good as Reid
Old 10-21-2013   #11
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I don't want to start hearing this isht, again. It's what good teams say about bad teams.
This is a different circumstance. The Chiefs players gave Keenum no respect (Basically just loading up against the run and daring him to beat him) and he was making them pay for it. Once our running game fizzled out due to injuries it was really clear that the O-line couldn't handle their monster pass rush and that was all she really wrote.

I think if you continue to see losses and this kind of stuff comes out then yeah you can go back to hankhill mode.
Old 10-21-2013   #12
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yes, he is and always has been. In addition to being a very good HC. If only we were lucky enough to get a coach as good as Reid
Amen to that brother.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #13
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
i mean...unless they don't like you personally for whatever reason, no other player is gonna say anything bad about another player...it's comical people keep bringing in these player quotes like they mean something.
What's comical is people that keep writing them off like they don't mean anything and for what reason? I know people in KC, they want to trade Alex Smith for Keenum. What people are saying isn't just lip service, they mean something.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #14
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
31 other teams didn't draft Keenum just like 31 other teams didn't draft Arian Foster, but Kubiak managed to get them both signed and on his PS, brought them along/developed them, and eventually got them both on the field and playing in this league.
When it comes to decision making as to whom should start as who is the best option like Arian Foster Case Keenum should have been starting if not week one definitely after the Seattle game. Kubiak is wasting another year by making dumb decisions.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstyle42 View Post
When it comes to decision making as to whom should start as who is the best option like Arian Foster Case Keenum should have been starting if not week one definitely after the Seattle game. Kubiak is wasting another year by making dumb decisions.
Kubiak excels at making dumb decisions.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #16
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
What's comical is people that keep writing them off like they don't mean anything and for what reason? I know people in KC, they want to trade Alex Smith for Keenum. What people are saying isn't just lip service.
What do you think they were going to say though? "oh, he made a few plays against us, but he's not that good & we proved it.." Even if he sucked, they still wouldn't have said that.

I mean c'mon, they're just being professionals...I just don't put alot of stock into quotes from active players of the opposing team....

These are the same guys who'll talk smack trying to get into a players' head before a game & then completely 180 after the game if that particular player has a good game against them....you gotta take those quotes with a grain of salt.
Old 10-21-2013   #17
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
What do you think they were going to say though? "oh, he made a few plays against us, but he's not that good & we proved it.." Even if he sucked, they still wouldn't have said that.

I mean c'mon, they're just being professionals...I just don't put alot of stock into quotes from active players of the opposing team....

These are the same guys who'll talk smack trying to get into a players' head before a game & then completely 180 after the game if that particular player has a good game against them....you gotta take those quotes with a grain of salt.
If you were just going to say something nice to say something nice, because you don't dislike a guy.. you'd simply say "yes, he played well". You wouldn't go into detail raving about his play or talked about how he looked like a 4 year vet as a rook or talked about how rare that is, so yes, the comments are telling and they mean something.
Old 10-21-2013   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Players will generally avoid being too negative about opposing players. At the same time it's rare that they will go too far in the other direction. Some of this is just general politeness while a few of the comments do border on being genuinely positive/impressed. People who like Keenum will see it all as affirmation of their beliefs. People who aren't sold on him will discount it and try to claim it is all meaningless. Nothing new here.
Old 10-21-2013   #19
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
If you were just going to say something nice to say something nice, because you don't dislike a guy.. you'd simply say "yes, he played well". You wouldn't go into detail raving about his play or talked about how he looked like a 4 year vet as a rook or talked about how rare that is, so yes, the comments are telling and they mean something.
Lol, you know damn well the media wasn't letting them get away with a simple ass response like that...Especially since i'm sure they had to field multiple questions about him...

& most of the time in those situations, players aren't going to **** on a player they just played, even he did suck.... unless they don't like him....It's usually players that aren't playing anymore (Derrick Ward) or players from other teams who come with the negative stuff.

I liken it to when Schaub got injured and a few cheered a few weeks back..... that's all you heard & seen the players talking about & it made them look like they were whinning......but it was really all the media asked them about & made it seem bigger & more negative than it actually was....I'm sure there was a little bit of that going on here as well.

Nevertheless, there are 52 guys on the other team...it's not that hard to find someone to say something good or bad about a situation.....if you're really trying to look anyway.
Old 10-21-2013   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Players will generally avoid being too negative about opposing players. At the same time it's rare that they will go too far in the other direction. Some of this is just general politeness while a few of the comments do border on being genuinely positive/impressed. People who like Keenum will see it all as affirmation of their beliefs. People who aren't sold on him will discount it and try to claim it is all meaningless. Nothing new here.
I've followed this game too long to not recognize "coach speak/player speak/lip service" when I see it.. This isn't it. General politeness is not saying "I told you he would be good and he looked like a 4 year vet". There's backups that have to make starts in this league all the time.. how often does a opposing team say those type of remarks in a attempt to just be polite?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read