Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-20-2013   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why didn't we Hurry Up Offense at the End of the 1st Half?

With 2 TOs and certainly enough time to probably get the ball to FG distance, we just let the clock run down near the beginning of that series. If we did get a FG to finish out the half, passing the ball at the end of the game and chancing a sack resulting in a fumble would have been mute, in that we would have been the ones running to run the clock out at the end of the game. I am left somewhat in the dark over what happened at the end of the 1st half.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #2
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why didn't we Hurry Up Offense at the End of the 1st Half?

Because Kubiak has as much of a spine as a jellyfish and the balls of a gnat.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #3
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 44392 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
With 2 TOs and certainly enough time to probably get the ball to FG distance, we just let the clock run down near the beginning. If we did get a FG to finish out the half, passing the ball at the end of the game and chancing a sack resulting in a fumble would have been mute, in that we would have been the ones running to run the clock out at the end of the game. I am left somewhat in the dark over what happened at the end of the 1st half.
Conservative. Trying to protect a young player in a hostile environment? I think/hope Gary needs to gain confidence in Case before he changes the way he calls games. I honestly think he is so conservative and lost because of years of Schaub and his stupid decisions.....we constantly "give up" those points, same on 3rd and long, we almost ALWAYS run a draw.....its poor play calls because of FEAR of mistakes.
Old 10-20-2013   #4
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

That's just typical Kubiak. We had opportunities to score in this game, but Kubiak didn't take them.

We ran the ball at the end of the 1st half when we could've marched down the field and possibly gotten a field goal. We could've gone for it instead of taking a field when it was 4th down in the red zone. We could've activated Cierre Woods when we knew Arian Foster was not 100%.

We could've given Case protection when it was obvious the defense was blitzing rather than play empty sets and leaving Case completely exposed. We could've done a lot of things, and I'm left scratching my head. This is Kubiak. And this is what we'll have to deal with until he gets fired.
Old 10-20-2013   #5
ljhog
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respected

young QB in a hostile place deep in your own territory only down 4. no time to be stupid.
ljhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #6
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljhog View Post
young QB in a hostile place deep in your own territory only down 4. no time to be stupid.
No time to be conservative when that possible field goal would've made the difference between a W and L today. Case was slinging it around. You've got to have faith in your QB. He was playing very well in the first half and there was no reason to go into turtle mode.
Old 10-20-2013   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not going to fault kubiak for that.

He had Schaub who could not be trusted in those situations. Case is a second year player making his first start with all the things going against him...keenum has to earn the coaches trust in that situation. Also, you have to trust your defense.

I think if keenum keeps playing well kubiak would be more willing to let him go for it in those situations.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2013   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Gary can't do anything fast and his team is a reflection of that. He is literally the worst clock-managing coach I have ever been witness to. The tenure of this imbecile is maybe one of the darkest times ever in Houston football if only because we all know that this is going nowhere. I think his team knows it's going nowhere too. I think their collective play and inability to focus is a reflection of that.
Old 10-20-2013   #9
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

He had Schaub who could not be trusted in those situations. Case is a second year player making his first start with all the things going against him...keenum has to earn the coaches trust in that situation. Also, you have to trust your defense.

I think if keenum keeps playing well kubiak would be more willing to let him go for it in those situations.
In a regular situation, I would agree. But this team is on a 4 game losing streak, A team that was supposed to contend for a SB. They hadn't won a game in over a month. If their was a time to be aggressive, it was on that drive.
Old 10-20-2013   #10
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 89275 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With 2 TOs and certainly enough time to probably get the ball to FG distance, we just let the clock run down near the beginning of that series. If we did get a FG to finish out the half, passing the ball at the end of the game and chancing a sack resulting in a fumble would have been mute, in that we would have been the ones running to run the clock out at the end of the game. I am left somewhat in the dark over what happened at the end of the 1st half.
He didnt trust Case, until we got pretty good yards then he decided to try, to much time had already went by by then.
Old 10-20-2013   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
In a regular situation, I would agree. But this team is on a 4 game losing streak, about to let the playoffs get out of their reach. If their was a time to be aggressive, it was on that drive.
That's fine.

I don't agree with you, but we all have our opinions. Kubiak does plenty wrong, but I'm ok with that.
Old 10-20-2013   #12
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 151691 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
what i dont get is he went conservative, then tried to go for it in the end.
Because what Kubiak didn't account for was his team stumbling into some pretty good gains. Once that happened, after he neglected to use his time outs, he realized "oh shiznit, we could maybe get a field goal here" and then got a little more aggressive.

He wanted to run the clock out. But his offense accidentally picked up yardage and forced him into trying to get some points.

Kubiak is THE WORST.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

That might make sense, if it weren't for the fact that in the last 25 seconds of that 1st half series, he put it in "go" gear trying to get that FG distance.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #14
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21536 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

The only other time I've seen the offense play decent besides the first half today was when we ran the hurry up early in the season, and haven't had it since.....
Old 10-20-2013   #15
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak is a conservative coach... get over it. People keep complaining about the same stuff, he's not going to change.

On the road, young QB, against a good defense, only down 4, and we get the ball first in the 2nd half... with less than a minute left. Considering those circumstances, I'm ok with the call.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #16
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Kubiak is a conservative coach... get over it. People keep complaining about the same stuff, he's not going to change.

On the road, young QB, against a good defense, only down 4, and we get the ball first in the 2nd half... with less than a minute left. Considering those circumstances, I'm ok with the call.
And I'm not, and that's why I want him gone.
Old 10-20-2013   #17
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That might make sense, if it weren't for the fact that in the last 25 seconds of that 1st half series, he put it in "go" gear trying to get that FG distance.
He does this quite often, shouldn't be a surprise. He'll go with a conservative call initially, like a draw play and see the outcome of that play. If we gain good yardage, then he'll get a bit more aggressive to try to get the FG. If the draw gets stuffed, then he'll just let the clock run.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Made more sense to do it then. If case throws a deep pick with 25 seconds left it's not as bad as if he throws one on their end with a bunch of time on the clock.

Even if he doesn't throw a pick, a three and out and punt still leaves KC time to get in field goal range.

Like I said, I think if case becomes a star qb he'd put pedal to the metal more often. Jmo.
Old 10-20-2013   #19
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 24544 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
He plays not to lose, that's nothing new with Kubiak, he's not a winner, he's not the guy you want in a dark alley with you late at night. He already concedes defeat in his body language and his play calling.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013   #20
nut
All Pro

Rep Power: 165 nut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respected

kubiak. did I miss something?
nut is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read