Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cushing - will he play another play?

silvrhand

All Pro
Two left knee surgeries in the last two years, and we just signed him to a fantastic large contract.. I am not sure he plays another play after looking at that and if he is will he still be able to chase down plays..

/joy

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
I think he may try to rehab it, but i dont see him ever coming back. Poor guy he could of had a HOF career.

Oh and F you J Charles.

fiasco west

All Pro
We don't know what the injury is at this point, doesn't have to be a tear. It looked pretty bad though but still we don't know.

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
Their other running back cheap shotted JJ with a rib shot as well. This town is jinxed when it comes to football.

Didn't Demeco get hurt after his big contract?

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
We don't know what the injury is at this point, doesn't have to be a tear. It looked pretty bad though but still we don't know.
A few things:

1. As long as he has cartilage in the knee, the ACL can be repaired or rebuilt again and again... problem is that those injuries often include some cartilige loss.

2. I don't think this injury is an ACL... could be. It looked like a hyper-extension, which can be very painful but also can end up having minimal structural damage.

3. Or, with some hyper-extensions, it could the dreaded PCL tear (or triad), where almost everything gets ripped up.

... Hopefully, we will get good news that neither the Patella Tendon, PCL, or ACL were torn- possible (even given Cushing's reaction), though not likely

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
A few things:

1. As long as he has cartilage in the knee, the ACL can be repaired or rebuilt again and again... problem is that those injuries often include some cartilige loss.

2. I don't think this injury is an ACL... could be. It looked like a hyper-extension, which can be very painful but also can end up having minimal structural damage.

3. Or, with some hyper-extensions, it could the dreaded PCL tear (or triad), where almost everything gets ripped up.

... Hopefully, we will get good news that neither the Patella Tendon, PCL, or ACL were torn- possible (even given Cushing's reaction), though not likely
The way he was hit, I would not expect a patella tendon injury. (His past patella tendon surgery was on the right). Last year, he suffered a left ACL (expected from a hit from the back). I would be surprised if it were not an ACL and PCL this time (hit from the front).

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
So the extremely injury-prone Cushing is down again. From the way he looked when they helped him off the field, it looks llike he's out for the season this time. And to think we spent all that money extending his contract!

With Foster's hamstring issue as the starter, has there ever been anything more stupid than failing to suit up a 3rd running back for the game? Well, yes, the Tigers' manager pulling his starting pitcher was dumber. If allowed to pitch a complete game, Scherzer would have shut down the Red Sox the rest of the way. But you don't have to wonder how the world series will come out. The Cardinals don't lose when the chips are down.

I think the constant spread formation was a concession to what Keenum is used to. But he should have lined up as a man under center other than in the red zone. He could have run some play action rollouts and avoided the blitzers.

I think the fumble recovery at the end was actually a TD. Texans should have challenged it. If they give up a TD they have a chance to tie the game.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
The way he was hit, I would not expect a patella tendon injury. (His past patella tendon surgery was on the right). Last year, he suffered a left ACL. I would be surprised if it were not an ACL and PCL this time.
Yeah, I'm worried about the PCL... Whether the ACL is torn, I think, will depend on how tight of a replacement ACL he was working with. The combination of the surgeon's execution and also rehab, I know, has a significant impact on the elasticity and flexion of the ACL... If it was "loose", it could be fine. Best case- a "minor" PCL strain, not requiring surgery... I will hope for it.

toronto

Hall of Fame
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer2m
Sorry ... On Cushing -- It's a torn LCL and a broken leg. Again, will need surgery.
8:13 PM - 20 Oct 13 • Details

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer1m
So again ... Brian Cushing has a torn LCL and a broken leg. ACL is OK. Needs surgery. Done for the year.
8:14 PM - 20 Oct 13 • Details

Vance87

All Pro
So the extremely injury-prone Cushing is down again. From the way he looked when they helped him off the field, it looks llike he's out for the season this time. And to think we spent all that money extending his contract!
Hey assclown, let me dive at your kneecap when you plant it on the ground and when I destroy your ligaments I'll stand over you as you writhe in pain and call you injury prone.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
quote]

Have you seen the hits he has taken on that leg? Injury prone is not how I describe him. He will be back.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer2m
Sorry ... On Cushing -- It's a torn LCL and a broken leg. Again, will need surgery.
8:13 PM - 20 Oct 13 • Details

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer1m
So again ... Brian Cushing has a torn LCL and a broken leg. ACL is OK. Needs surgery. Done for the year.
8:14 PM - 20 Oct 13 • Details
If it's an LCL, it better not be a fragmented tibial plateau fracture like Spencer.

Premier

Rookie
some of you are full of ****.. we cut block in the zbs but when do our cuts look like that.. that looked like swearingers hit on keller.. **** is cheap if they have to outlaw cuts all together then so be it..

PapaL

Loose Screw
He was moving around pretty damn good too. Football is a tough sport and Cush is one tough SOB. He'll be rehabbing ASAP. You can bank on that.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Two left knee surgeries in the last two years, and we just signed him to a fantastic large contract.. I am not sure he plays another play after looking at that and if he is will he still be able to chase down plays..

/joy

That's pretty much the Texans M.O. isn't it. Sign them to a big contract and then watch them get injured, fall apart, or just plain start mailing it in. We have the worst luck when it comes to what players who choose to reward for their work and when we decide to do it.

HJam72

Hall of Fame

With Foster's hamstring issue as the starter, has there ever been anything more stupid than failing to suit up a 3rd running back for the game? Well, yes, the Tigers' manager pulling his starting pitcher was dumber. If allowed to pitch a complete game, Scherzer would have shut down the Red Sox the rest of the way. But you don't have to wonder how the world series will come out. The Cardinals don't lose when the chips are down.

I think the constant spread formation was a concession to what Keenum is used to. But he should have lined up as a man under center other than in the red zone. He could have run some play action rollouts and avoided the blitzers.

I think the fumble recovery at the end was actually a TD. Texans should have challenged it. If they give up a TD they have a chance to tie the game.
LOL:

You scored!

No, we didn't!!!

Yeah, you did!!

No!

:kubepalm:

Dishman

Miss Ya Blue
Hurts seeing Cushing hurt like that again. Going to hurt all over again when I wake up in the morning and remember. Best of luck to you, Cush! I hope you make it back on the field next season.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
maybe I would say but for another team but since he just signed that contract I guess we just have to bite the bullet hope he can rehab and come back next year

fiasco west

All Pro
That's pretty much the Texans M.O. isn't it. Sign them to a big contract and then watch them get injured, fall apart, or just plain start mailing it in. We have the worst luck when it comes to what players who choose to reward for their work and when we decide to do it.
:ouch:

Sure seems that way :/

This was a nasty game, going into the 4th quarter I was just hoping for it to end because it seemed like all of our best players were getting hurt. I thought luck would be on our side this one game considering the circumstances.

Lord Bills

Destruction
he needs to talk to kobe bryant and get kobe's german hook ups.

Kobe went to germany and got some knee procedure done that is banned in the U.S.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Wow, eff off. I've never had to add people to my ignore list until this season.

Premier

Rookie
first, we didnt have a challenge. second, under 2 minutes all reviews come from upsatirs. third, newtown downed him when he dove for the ball..

Yesterday

Waterboy
Cush will be back. Modern Medicine, special things can happen.

LCL usually doesn't require surgery (or so I've read). This is fantastic news for Cush.

F Jamaal Charles. That hit and he cheap shot JJ in the ribs, I now hate that guy.

Also, thank God it isn't the ACL again.

BleedsRocketRed

Open the Roof!
http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Health-Conditions/Lateral-Collateral-Ligament-LCL-Tears.aspx

:vincepalm:

Injury

The lateral collateral ligament is a thin band of tissue running along the outside of the knee. It connects the thighbone (femur) to the fibula, which is the small bone of the lower leg that turns down the side of the knee and connects to the ankle. Like the medial collateral ligament, the lateral collateral ligament's main function is to keep the knee stable as it moves through its full arc of motion.

Symptoms

Signs of a torn lateral collateral ligament include:

A feeling that the knee may give way under stress and isn't stable
A locking or catching in the joint when it is moved
Numbness or weakness in the foot may occur if the peroneal nerve, which is near the ligament is stretched during the injury or is pressed by swelling in surrounding tissues
Pain that can be mild or acute
Stiffness
Swelling and tenderness along the outside of the knee

Causes and Risk Factors

Tears to the lateral collateral ligament most often occur from a direct blow to the inside of the knee. This can stretch the ligaments on the outside of the near too far and may cause them to tear. This type of injury occurs in sports that require a lot of quick stops and turns such as soccer, basketball and skiing or ones where there are violent collisions such as football or hockey.

The ligament can also be injured by repeated stress that causes it to lose its normal elasticity. Most knee injuries are to the ligaments that support the knee, not the knee joint itself.

Diagnosis

Your doctor will generally ask you how the injury occurred, how your knee has been feeling since the injury and whether you have had other knee injuries. You may be asked about your physical and athletic goals to help your doctor decide on the best treatment for you.

Your injury will be classified as follows:

Grade 1 - Some tenderness and minor pain at the point of the injury. This means there have been small tears in the ligament.

Grade 2 - Noticeable looseness in the knee (the knee opens up about five millimeters) when moved by hand. There is major pain and tenderness on the inner side of the knee as well as swelling. This means there have been larger tears in the ligament, but it is not completely torn.

Grade 3 - Considerable pain and tenderness at the inner side of the knee; some swelling and marked joint instability. The knee opens up slightly less than half an inch when moved. A grade 3 LCL tear means the ligament is completely torn. There may also be a tear of the anterior cruciate ligament.

If there is too much pain and swelling to accurately judge how serious the injury is, your doctor may recommend that you wear a light splint, apply ice and raise your knee. Once the swelling and pain have gone down somewhat, he or she can then make the diagnosis.

Your doctor may order a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan. An MRI has an accuracy rate of nearly 90% in determining whether and how badly a lateral collateral ligament has been torn. It is not very good, however, at detailing a partial tear.

Treatments:

Lateral collateral ligament tears do not heal as well as medial collateral ligament tears do. Grade 3 lateral collateral ligament tears may require surgery.

In some cases, all that is required is rest, wearing a brace, taking pain relievers such as ibuprofen and having physical therapy.

Your doctor may recommend that you wear a lightweight cast or brace that allows your knee to move backward and forward but restricts side-to-side movement. This is usually worn 72 hours. Depending on how well it reduces your pain and swelling, you may be able to start a rehabilitative program in a few days.

When the pain and swelling have gone down, you should be able to start exercises to restore strength and normal range of motion to your knee. If you still have soreness while doing these exercises, go slowly to prevent further irritation. It may take up to eight weeks to fully recover, depending on the grade of your injury.

If the lateral collateral ligament was torn where it attaches to the thighbone (femur) or shinbone (tibia), the surgeon will re-attach the ligament to the bone using large stitches or a metal bone staple.

If the tear happened in the middle of the ligament, the surgeon will typically sew the torn ends together.

If the damage was severe and cannot be repaired, your surgeon may reconstruct a tendon by using a graft taken from a tendon of your thigh muscles (quadriceps) or your hamstrings.

Lateral knee reconstruction is an open-knee procedure, and is not done arthroscopically. The tendon graft is passed through bone tunnels and fixed to the thighbone and lower leg bone (fibula) using screws or posts or with stitches tied around a post.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Hey assclown, let me dive at your kneecap when you plant it on the ground and when I destroy your ligaments I'll stand over you as you writhe in pain and call you injury prone.
Well you sorry namecaller, I was just stating the fact. Wasn't even talking to Cush.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The preliminary diagnosis as it stands now (without MRI) is LCL and fibula fracture. I suspect the MRI will be performed tomorrow in Houston. MRI may show cartilage damage and other ligament tear damage or other stress fracture that cannot be diagnosed by physical exam and plain x-rays alone. And I would not be so quick to rule out partial ACL or PCL either without MRI (even with this modality, partial tears can be sometimes missed).

utahmark

markbeth

I think the fumble recovery at the end was actually a TD. Texans should have challenged it. If they give up a TD they have a chance to tie the game
It was not a td. You might want to watch that again.

cbs1507

Waterboy
LOL:

You scored!

No, we didn't!!!

Yeah, you did!!

No!

:kubepalm:
I know that sound crazy what the guy said. but if you think about it then it makes sense. It 17-16. We had 0 time outs with around a minute left. KC got the ball to run the clock out. If they score the TD, then it's still a 1 possession game and we get a chance.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
The preliminary diagnosis as it stands now (without MRI) is LCL and fibula fracture. I suspect the MRI will be performed tomorrow in Houston. MRI may show cartilage damage and other ligament tear damage or other stress fracture that cannot be diagnosed by physical exam and plain x-rays alone. And I would not be so quick to rule out partial ACL or PCL either without MRI (even with this modality, partial tears can be sometimes missed).
Prognosis if it's just the fracture & LCL?

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Not to be THAT guy, BUT how much of the ligament injuries are due to steroids? I don't want to bash him, because I love Cush and could care less about what he did or didn't do, but honestly do steroids wear down the ligaments and make them easier to tear? Or is he really just THAT unlucky?

dtran04

Veteran
This should bump Reed inside and give Jefferson a shot at OLB. Bye week comes at the best time really.

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
The man busted his ass to get ready after last season. I doubt he's finished. He may not be the same but I think he'll be back. Good luck 56.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You mean sign them up after they've been injured severely and watch them get injured again. Rick's MO

silvrhand

All Pro
Not to be THAT guy, BUT how much of the ligament injuries are due to steroids? I don't want to bash him, because I love Cush and could care less about what he did or didn't do, but honestly do steroids wear down the ligaments and make them easier to tear? Or is he really just THAT unlucky?
If he was just running along and took a arrow to the knee then so be it I might be on that train too. But he had his foot planted and JC exploded into his leg, and basically destroyed it.

What happens if he doesn't play another down, how do career ending injuries get resolved with the salary cap?

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Cloak, given the nature of the injury, as it is being reported... If the fracture is only to the fibula... could the fibula be fractured from stress in a way similar to what happened to Spencer's tibia, where it sort of created a fault line into the knee itself and cut blood flow, causing knee tissue to die, etc...?

I realize the injury to the LCL and other possibilities still undetermined could mean serious consequences to the knee... However, I'm wondering about just the fibula and if a similar situation is possible/likely... because, it does look like a stress fracture and one that could have been violent enough to be much more than a hairline fracture.