Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-30-2013   #321
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Exactly right. Why? Because the Texans don't have the money to that's why.
No, because they weren't any good & they've been around too long (Ed Reed & Ahman Green were a little different & more exception than rule)

Quote:

The Ravens cut Huff because they've Elam, if the Texans cut Reed they don't have anyone nearly as good as Elam to replace him with.
We drafted Dj Swearinger... it's the same thing (not counting Manning's injury)

Quote:
No, I just don't drink the Kool Aid. The Kool Aid allows those who do drink it the ability to see that the Texans can do no wrong. To the contrary I am still able to maintain an objective point of view.

Uh, nope, you didn't

They signed Huff, drafted Elam.... you say they did a good job.

We signed Reed, drafted Swearinger... you say we mismanaged the cap.

You're right, I don't get it.
Old 10-30-2013   #322
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61508 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
You're right, I don't get it.
DJ is a SS and has replaced Manning not Reed, Reed is still playing FS (rather poorly)

Step away from the Kool Aid .....and you will.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #323
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 68788 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Easily, just go back and read DM's last 10 post, he lives in his own little world of make believe. Many of his explanations are done in the language of YADA.

Easily, the Ravens have Ozzie Newsome and the Texans don't.

Raven players and associated dead money if cut next off-season (in millions):
Suggs $4.6
Ngata $15
Yanda $6
Flacco $38
Rice $14
Webb $10
Oher $1.3
Dumervil $6
S Koch $1.2
McCLain $1.2
JimmySmith $1
Canty $1.3
Leach $1.4
Elam $4
Upshaw $1.4

Considering they are 20 players short of a 53 man roster and less than $10million under the cap next season (and not particularly young or talented), they are in a lot of trouble. Only McClain can be cut for a net savings of more than $1.5 million next year... Most of the players are upside down in their contracts. In other words, cutting them is more expensive than keeping them next year.

Meanwhile, the Texans are younger, have 36 under contract, are $ 5million under the cap and have the following situation:

JJoseph no dead money if cut ($11 mil cap savings if cut)
MSchuab $10 mil dead money ($4 mil in cap savings if cut)
CMyers no dead money if cut (possible savings of $7 mil)
OD $1 million dead money (possible savings of $6 mil if cut)
Manning $1 mil dead money if cut (savings of $4 million)
Ed Reed $1.3 mil dead money if cut (savings of $4 million possible)

*Only Deandre Hopkins, Swearinger, and B. Cushing would me more expensive to cut than to keep next year. This gives the Texans bargaining power, flexibility, and options next year. This is the way they began doing business a few years ago. It does limit their ability to spend crazy dollars each year, but it keeps them flexible and away from any significant trouble.

There is nothing imaginary about any of this.
Old 10-30-2013   #324
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61508 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Raven players and associated dead money if cut next off-season (in millions):
Suggs $4.6
Ngata $15
Yanda $6
Flacco $38
Rice $14
Webb $10
Oher $1.3
Dumervil $6
S Koch $1.2
McCLain $1.2
JimmySmith $1
Canty $1.3
Leach $1.4
Elam $4
Upshaw $1.4

Considering they are 20 players short of a 53 man roster and less than $10million under the cap next season (and not particularly young or talented), they are in a lot of trouble. Only McClain can be cut for a net savings of more than $1.5 million next year... Most of the players are upside down in their contracts. In other words, cutting them is more expensive than keeping them next year.

Meanwhile, the Texans are younger, have 36 under contract, are $ 5million under the cap and have the following situation:

JJoseph no dead money if cut ($11 mil cap savings if cut)
MSchuab $10 mil dead money ($4 mil in cap savings if cut)
CMyers no dead money if cut (possible savings of $7 mil)
OD $1 million dead money (possible savings of $6 mil if cut)
Manning $1 mil dead money if cut (savings of $4 million)
Ed Reed $1.3 mil dead money if cut (savings of $4 million possible)

*Only Deandre Hopkins, Swearinger, and B. Cushing would me more expensive to cut than to keep next year. This gives the Texans bargaining power, flexibility, and options next year. This is the way they began doing business a few years ago. It does limit their ability to spend crazy dollars each year, but it keeps them flexible and away from any significant trouble.

There is nothing imaginary about any of this.
See what I mean drs23, if the Ravens cut their entire team they will save $100 million and if the Texans cut half their team they will save $50 million.
Old 10-30-2013   #325
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
DJ is a SS and has replaced Manning not Reed, Reed is still playing FS (rather poorly)

Step away from the Kool Aid .....and you will.

Your hate has blinded you. I'm not drinking any kool-aid. Well, no more than usual. But the situations are similar & they were handled similarly.

They signed a player who was never good. A player who was a disappointment from the get go & released from one of the worst teams over the last decade. & he didn't play well.

They drafted a safety early in the draft as an insurance policy.

We signed a player that will most likely end up in the hall-of-fame. Maybe a bit past his prime, but we also drafted a safety early in the draft as an insurance policy. If push came to shove, Dj could start at SS & Manning could play FS(which I believe he's actually better at), but for whatever reason, the Texans feel comfortable with Shilo Keo at FS.

They gave huff a $1.5M signing bonus + $850,000 salary= $2.35M

We gave Reed a $2M signing bonus + $1M salary = $3M

There's not a lot of difference there.
Old 10-30-2013   #326
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
See what I mean drs23, if the Ravens cut their entire team they will save $100 million and if the Texans cut half their team they will save $50 million.
You read that wrong. If the Ravens cut those players, that money is accelerated into their 2014 cap. They're $100M in the hole if they cut those players.

If the Texans cut the listed players that $50M comes off the books, we save $50M. If those cuts are made, we're $150M ahead.
Old 10-31-2013   #327
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Your hate has blinded you.
You are confusing hate with a dose of reality. Not to worry, that is a common side effect of Texans Kool Aid

Quote:
You read that wrong.
Read it perfect. That was a dose of jockularity. Like Baltimore is going to cut all those guys. C'MON MAN
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2013   #328
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are confusing hate with a dose of reality. Not to worry, that is a common side effect of Texans Kool Aid

Read it perfect. That was a dose of jockularity. Like Baltimore is going to cut all those guys. C'MON MAN
Congratulations! You've started making me rethink my views on Rick Smith & Kubiak. Maybe I was wrong.

Maybe I should be supporting them instead of bashing them. Hmmm....
Old 10-31-2013   #329
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Congratulations! You've started making me rethink my views on Rick Smith & Kubiak. Maybe I was wrong.

Maybe I should be supporting them instead of bashing them. Hmmm....
You're better than that.....
Old 10-31-2013   #330
Oilers_57
Rookie

Rick Smith losing Mario for nothing --- that is Rick's legacy.

In playing devil's advocate to my own thought, what would have played out differently if we had signed Mario, or at least tagged him?

1) Not signed an extension for Schaub. #good
2) Not picked Montgomery with a compensatory pick that we wouldn't have had #better
3) Maybe not have picked Mercilus (I liked the pick of 59 to replace Barwin), addressing OL instead .
4) Not signed Reed because the other team couldn't have gotten a pass off anyway. #best

The question begs another question(s) on whether the Texans could have signed long-term:

1) Cushing (which I would do every day of the week and twice on Sunday)
2) Watt - well, had enough in store for Watt's payday when the day comes

I'd guess other teams would have figured it out, but I'm not a cap expert enough to run it on the back of a napkin. But, then again, I'm not paid to run those calculations, because I would then use a laptop and an HP calculator, and not a napkin.

So, in retrospect, in letting one of the best players on our team walk, for nothing, we have Schaub and Reed for near the same amount of money.

I hope Rick Smith gets shown the door. Actually, I hope that when he does, he goes to the Titans or Colts, or back to the Broncos.
Oilers_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #331
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 84230 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers_57 View Post

In playing devil's advocate to my own thought, what would have played out differently if we had signed Mario, or at least tagged him?

2) Not picked Montgomery with a compensatory pick that we wouldn't have had #better
3) Maybe not have picked Mercilus (I liked the pick of 59 to replace Barwin), addressing OL instead .
4) Not signed Reed because the other team couldn't have gotten a pass off anyway. #best

The question begs another question(s) on whether the Texans could have signed long-term:

I'd guess other teams would have figured it out, but I'm not a cap expert enough to run it on the back of a napkin. But, then again, I'm not paid to run those calculations, because I would then use a laptop and an HP calculator, and not a napkin.

So, in retrospect, in letting one of the best players on our team walk, for nothing, we have Schaub and Reed for near the same amount of money.

I hope Rick Smith gets shown the door. Actually, I hope that when he does, he goes to the Titans or Colts, or back to the Broncos.
you mean we're paying Schaub & Reed a combined $100 mill?
Old 10-31-2013   #332
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Good to see you back old man.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #333
Oilers_57
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Sorry, you are right. But, but, wait a minute, are we paying those guys $100MM per year? Is that the question? I was thinking that the contract value, divided by the length of the contract term, would give rise to a value per year. I was comparing those numbers with what we would have paid 90.

But you are right. Schaub is a bargain at any price.
Old 10-31-2013   #334
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68788 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Whether a rick smith fan or someone who thinks he should go, most people will agree that letting Mario Williams go was one of his best decisions!

No way a good organization would take on that guy at that salary. All of that "what if" nonsense about what the roster could be is pointless. Playing that game, what if the texans signed him before his 2011 season... Then they probably never draft Watt. How does that sound?

Notice that once Mario became available, he went to a horrible organization... Which says something about his value system as well as how the NFL values him.

Funny story... In 2011, I argued on this board that watt was nearly the same athlete physically as Mario... In response to Mario whining about possibly playing DE in a 3-4 defense... Mario supporters mocked me. Hmmm.
Old 10-31-2013   #335
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Sorry, you are right. But, but, wait a minute, are we paying those guys $100MM per year? Is that the question? I was thinking that the contract value, divided by the length of the contract term, would give rise to a value per year. I was comparing those numbers with what we would have paid 90.

But you are right. Schaub is a bargain at any price.
Reed and schaub a contract come to 60percent of Mario's. However, we can be rid of both players next season and add 8 million in cap space while doing so. The bonus Mario wanted would have stuck us with him for 5 years of his mediocrity.
Old 10-31-2013   #336
Oilers_57
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

Whether a rick smith fan or someone who thinks he should go, most people will agree that letting Mario Williams go was one of his best decisions!

No way a good organization would take on that guy at that salary. All of that "what if" nonsense about what the roster could be is pointless. Playing that game, what if the texans signed him before his 2011 season... Then they probably never draft Watt. How does that sound?

Notice that once Mario became available, he went to a horrible organization... Which says something about his value system as well as how the NFL values him.

Funny story... In 2011, I argued on this board that watt was nearly the same athlete physically as Mario... In response to Mario whining about possibly playing DE in a 3-4 defense... Mario supporters mocked me. Hmmm.

I don't think that you can go back in time. But along those lines, had we picked the good Johnson, over the bad Johnson, or picked Willis over the high school kid, we wouldn't have picked Cushing...Poof, I can play too.

I do think that if Rick signed Mario, there would have been ramifications. I'm just questioning his salary cap management since letting Mario go. I guess my point is that he has been so futile at management of the cap, we might as well have kept Mario, whether that was a prudent decision, or not.

Just because Watt was chosen, was not mutually exclusive to keeping Mario. Watt was the best pick there. Not everyone knew it at the time, but maybe you and Rick Smith, still some of us learned it later. For that I'll tip my hat to both of you.
Old 10-31-2013   #337
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 84230 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Good to see you back old man.
Thanks, been lurking occasionally but not much. Reading how many have changed their stance is interesting tho... l
Old 10-31-2013   #338
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 103671 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Cushing did sign a contract extension right before the season started.
Old 10-31-2013   #339
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't think that you can go back in time. But along those lines, had we picked the good Johnson, over the bad Johnson, or picked Willis over the high school kid, we wouldn't have picked Cushing...Poof, I can play too.

I do think that if Rick signed Mario, there would have been ramifications. I'm just questioning his salary cap management since letting Mario go. I guess my point is that he has been so futile at management of the cap, we might as well have kept Mario, whether that was a prudent decision, or not.

Just because Watt was chosen, was not mutually exclusive to keeping Mario. Watt was the best pick there. Not everyone knew it at the time, but maybe you and Rick Smith, still some of us learned it later. For that I'll tip my hat to both of you.

I didn't know much about Watt. After we drafted him, I researched him and saw he had similar size, speed, quickness, strength, etc.. as Mario has. I was responding to Mario complaining about moving to 3-4 DE- He wanted to be a playmaker. Funny! especially in light of what Watt did last year at the position.
Old 10-31-2013   #340
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

There was some talk that Mario's agent told Smith to not bother with an offer as he was going elsewhere.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read