Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time being.

TexansFight

Veteran
Damn you Rick. Crappy cap planning. Making us let go of key Offensive Lineman like Brisiel and Winston. Newton sucked last year and we didn't do anything to improve the right side of the line. Smith got RAPED by Ed Reed. That SOB is stealing money. We are set to lose even more depth after this season. As angry and upset I am at Kubiak, I am as furious with Rick Smith. He needs to go too.

You should go rub one out in the bathroom. You'll feel much better. Carrying that much anger isn't good for a person. Calm down.

Damn you Rick. Crappy cap planning. Making us let go of key Offensive Lineman like Brisiel and Winston. Newton sucked last year and we didn't do anything to improve the right side of the line. Smith got RAPED by Ed Reed. That SOB is stealing money. We are set to lose even more depth after this season. As angry and upset I am at Kubiak, I am as furious with Rick Smith. He needs to go too.

It's not his poor cap management that should get him sacked, it's his woeful ability to judge talent. This team is absolutely bereft of talent at positions across the board, especially in the trenches - both sides.

If you think Texans have somehow mismanaged the cap catastrophically, you're insane, or at the very least don't know what you're talking about. I'm sorry about this tone, but I'm tired of these threads popping up.

Well I can tell you how to save a couple of bucks, cut Ed Reeds sorry old ass.....

Next year without Reed and Schaub will be better and we won't be in any sort of cap hell. Sign Tate and you can cut Foster.

That will be 15 million in dead money for 2014 but you have replaced all three players and have no penalty moving forward.

If you think Texans have somehow mismanaged the cap catastrophically, you're insane, or at the very least don't know what you're talking about. I'm sorry about this tone, but I'm tired of these threads popping up.
I agree, but if they don't make some bold cap moves this off season it will have long term ramifications.

If Rick has done such a bang up job with the cap, how come we have LOST depth and talent the past few years. It would have been nice to have DeMeco or Brisiel this year. OUR SITUATION IS GOING TO GET WORSE NEXT YEAR.

Rick Smith completely blew the mid round picks this year. He is no sense of urgency and is not proactive enough. Even though he knows nothing about football, I would rather have Daryl Morey in charge of the Texans than Smith.

your right signing matt schaub and ed reed and Cushing ...not knocking that but he wont be on the field

those 3 will hurt his next year since that's like money down the drain

your right signing matt schaub and ed reed and Cushing ...not knocking that but he wont be on the field

Both Schaub and Reed are cuttable without major cap implications after this season. I'm not a huge fan of the Reed signing, but I'm sure that's something coaches wanted.

If you're knocking the Cushing signing, I'm not sure how to respond to that.

Both Schaub and Reed are cuttable without major cap implications after this season. I'm not a huge fan of the Reed signing, but I'm sure that's something coaches wanted.

"NOT knocking" jus saying that's now a sad thing wasted money and talent

You can cut Reed, jonathan joseph, and Manning with basically no penalty.

Schaub will only take up 3.5 million in cap space if you cut him in 2014 and 7 million in 2015. The cap situation is fine if you draft well.

You can cut Reed, jonathan joseph, and Manning with basically no penalty.

Schaub will only take up 3.5 million in cap space if you cut him in 2014 and 7 million in 2015. The cap situation is fine if you draft well.

I may have misunderstood you, but I think you're incorrect about Schaub. He has no guaranteed money beyond this year other than the prorated bonus ($3.5MM in both 2014, 2015, and 2016). So, if they cut him after this season, there is a $10.5MM dead money cap hit that can be spread over 2 years. If they take the full hit in 2014, they still SAVE $4MM over keeping Schaub on the roster

I hope case plays well enough to where we don't need a qb in round 1 next year. That would be huge as far as keeping the window open. We need OL, LB's corners...safeties...

If case can build on what he did today that'd be huge for this franchise.

Calm down... Rick is doing a fine job I think. In this day of the NFL, all of the good teams will have to make compromises due to the cap. Read the message boards from a few years ago, the fans were not ecstatic with Eric Winston. Even though he was a good run blocker, he was exposed alot in pass pro. Briesel was over paid to go to Oakland IMO, so I'm glad we didn't try to match his contract. Plus, Brooks has some promise at RG. Lets also not forget, Smith did try to fix the RT issue in the offseason. He drafted Williams and Quesenbery... unfortunately, we lose them both to injury.

It's not his poor cap management that should get him sacked, it's his woeful ability to judge talent. This team is absolutely bereft of talent at positions across the board, especially in the trenches - both sides.

I actually think this is his strength... he hits on talent more than he misses.

I hope case plays well enough to where we don't need a qb in round 1 next year. That would be huge as far as keeping the window open. We need OL, LB's corners...safeties...

I like Case, but I just wonder how will do once teams have tape on him.....

Agree completely! There's a lot of QB depth in this draft but there are none that are just automatic franchise-type starters. The Texans could pick up a good QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

On the other hand, there are some real stud OT's coming out. Bookending Duane Brown with Jake Matthews or Taylor Lewan would go a long way to solving the offensive line issues.

The Texans probably do need to take a QB in this draft but it shouldn't be their top priority.

I may have misunderstood you, but I think you're incorrect about Schaub. He has no guaranteed money beyond this year other than the prorated bonus ($3.5MM in both 2014, 2015, and 2016). So, if they cut him after this season, there is a $10.5MM dead money cap hit that can be spread over 2 years. If they take the full hit in 2014, they still SAVE $4MM over keeping Schaub on the roster

Must have been my wording. Our numbers agree.

:bravo:

I have never really understood all these recent contract extensions, well...maybe for Cushing, but investing in football players for the future is basically the same as playing the stock market or....eeeek...gambling?

The Ed Reed move just blew up in our faces. Hell, I'm wondering at this point why he's still even drawing a paycheck here at all. It seems like someone with the Texans should just go down to the locker room before practice next week and tell Ed to just go on home. He's not earning his money and at this point all he does is serve as a constant reminder of a) How far down he's really gone and b) How stupid the Houston Texans were for giving him money they could have spent on Glover Quinn.

Just send him home. Hell, keep paying him for the rest of the year if you want. Who really gives a ****? He's useless and needs to go.

Let it play out. The Cushing signing is tough. I'm not sure how the Texans could do anything but lock up Cushing. If Cushing doesn't get locked up, then they are stuck in a situation where either Watt or Cushing are likely to walk because we can only use the franchise tag on one. Watt's market value is out of the world, so the only way to get a reasonable deal done with Watt is to have the tag available for back to back years and strong arm him into a deal (still a monster deal but not what he could get in the open market). So, for that to happen, we need to take care of the guys we want here in two years now- and do it so that we have the cap space/room to franchise tag him (or that threat is meaningless).

Reed's deal is easy to get out from and it's still early to say it was a mistake. Though, I'm not loving it right now! Schaub's deal, I think, is also not difficult to get out from- either after this year or next.

Also, we are about to be free and clear from Antonio Smith's big number, Manning's, and OD's... The cap situation is pretty darn good, I think. We have no dead money in front of us, heading into next year. We should have another 9 or 10 picks and have a lot of talent and youth. And, if Keenum ends up as "the guy", we have him dirt cheap for a couple years- which creates cap opportunities and a strong bargaining position.

Let it play out. The Cushing signing is tough. I'm not sure how the Texans could do anything but lock up Cushing. If Cushing doesn't get locked up, then they are stuck in a situation where either Watt or Cushing are likely to walk because we can only use the franchise tag on one. Watt's market value is out of the world, so the only way to get a reasonable deal done with Watt is to have the tag available for back to back years and strong arm him into a deal (still a monster deal but not what he could get in the open market). So, for that to happen, we need to take care of the guys we want here in two years now- and do it so that we have the cap space/room to franchise tag him (or that threat is meaningless).

Reed's deal is easy to get out from and it's still early to say it was a mistake. Though, I'm not loving it right now! Schaub's deal, I think, is also not difficult to get out from- either after this year or next.

Also, we are about to be free and clear from Antonio Smith's big number, Manning's, and OD's... The cap situation is pretty darn good, I think. We have no dead money in front of us, heading into next year. We should have another 9 or 10 picks and have a lot of talent and youth. And, if Keenum ends up as "the guy", we have him dirt cheap for a couple years- which creates cap opportunities and a strong bargaining position.

Bolded is the only thing I disagree with you on. I was saying that in the first couple of weeks of the season but not anymore. We have 9 games remaining in 2013 and Ed Reed is a non-factor. It didn't work out. It's time to send him home and get a real safety.

Can we restructure Brian Cushing's contract this off-season? I suspect we will release Schaub after June 1 to save some cap space. Too early to speculate.

Bolded is the only thing I disagree with you on. I was saying that in the first couple of weeks of the season but not anymore. We have 9 games remaining in 2013 and Ed Reed is a non-factor. It didn't work out. It's time to send him home and get a real safety.

I agree he's worthless. I think our problem maybe that we just need bodies at the spot. I think Keo should be getting more reps. He has been playing better than I expected.

Sorry Paycheck, in this case I do know what I'm talking about. The Texans have done a very poor job of managing the salary cap since 2010. see below

Calm down... Rick is doing a fine job I think. In this day of the NFL, all of the good teams will have to make compromises due to the cap.

Rick is doing what he's told to do. Rick is to Gary what Scott Pioli was to Bill Belichick. The Texans have mortgaged the future every year since 2010. Each year since 2010 if the Texans haven't been over the cap to start the new year they don't have enough cap space to fill out the roster. Every year they restructure contracts to borrow money from future years to get 53 players under contract and 8 players signed to the practice squad.

In essence, the Texans have 8-10 players who make minimums ($500K-$900K per yr) instead of players with a higher value of $2-$4 million a year because they've borrowed that money from future years to get under the cap every year since 2010. Just so you know the Texans will be in the same position in 2014 they've been in the last 4 years. 2015 is worse. Currently the Texans will start 2014 approx. $8 mil under the cap. They will need $10-$12 to meet 2014 obligations. In contrast the Colts will start 2014 approx $40-$42 MILLION under the cap.

Every year it's the same scramble to find rookie/vet minimums that fit under the contract and the bottom of the roster is one of the weaker in the league. When you can only afford $500K per year player instead of $2-$4 million a year player you get the results you get. It will only get worse dur to all the injuries.

When Mario Williams became a free agent his $18 million salary came off the books YET the Texans started the new year only $3 million under the cap.

In order to sign Arian Foster to a long term contract at $8 mil a year the Texans had to release Winston, Lawrence, Lienart, Jones and trade Ryans. At the time Foster was a RFA and could've been tendered at $2 mil for the season saving $6 million. Because the Texans didn't have cap space they didn't have the cap space to sign Glover Quin and thought they could do better with Ed Reed.....I could go on and on and on......Here is a list of players that have been let go because of NO salary cap and have not been replaced by equal or better talent and that's BAD Salary Cap management..

Winston, Brisel, Dreessen, Ryans, Lawrence, Leach, Jones, Barwin, Casey, Quin and Mario.

The Texans need to clean house and have a fire sale in order for this team to be in a position to get better every year instead of band aids to maintain the status go or the all to familiar couple of steps backwards.

Sorry Paycheck, in this case I do know what I'm talking about. The Texans have done a very poor job of managing the salary cap since 2010. see below

Rick is doing what he's told to do. Rick is to Gary what Scott Pioli was to Bill Belichick. The Texans have mortgaged the future every year since 2010. Each year since 2010 if the Texans haven't been over the cap to start the new year they don't have enough cap space to fill out the roster. Every year they restructure contracts to borrow money from future years to get 53 players under contract and 8 players signed to the practice squad.

In essence, the Texans have 8-10 players who make minimums ($500K-$900K per yr) instead of players with a higher value of $2-$4 million a year because they've borrowed that money from future years to get under the cap every year since 2010. Just so you know the Texans will be in the same position in 2014 they've been in the last 4 years. 2015 is worse. Currently the Texans will start 2014 approx. $8 mil under the cap. They will need $10-$12 to meet 2014 obligations. In contrast the Colts will start 2014 approx $40-$42 MILLION under the cap.

Every year it's the same scramble to find rookie/vet minimums that fit under the contract and the bottom of the roster is one of the weaker in the league. When you can only afford $500K per year player instead of $2-$4 million a year player you get the results you get. It will only get worse dur to all the injuries.

When Mario Williams became a free agent his $18 million salary came off the books YET the Texans started the new year only $3 million under the cap.

In order to sign Arian Foster to a long term contract at $8 mil a year the Texans had to release Winston, Lawrence, Lienart, Jones and trade Ryans. At the time Foster was a RFA and could've been tendered at $2 mil for the season saving $6 million. Because the Texans didn't have cap space they didn't have the cap space to sign Glover Quin and thought they could do better with Ed Reed.....I could go on and on and on......Here is a list of players that have been let go because of NO salary cap and have not been replaced by equal or better talent and that's BAD Salary Cap management..

Winston, Brisel, Dreessen, Ryans, Lawrence, Leach, Jones, Barwin, Casey, Quin and Mario.

The Texans need to clean house and have a fire sale in order for this team to be in a position to get better every year instead of band aids to maintain the status go or the all to familiar couple of steps backwards.

Why would you EVER want to start every season $42MM under the cap? You're not making much sense. Clearly, the Texans aren't perfect, but in the recent past only the Ravens have come close to being perfect in that department, IMO, but that was before they gave Flacco $100MM contract.

Why would you EVER want to start every season $42MM under the cap? You're not making much sense. Clearly, the Texans aren't perfect, but in the recent past only the Ravens have come close to being perfect in that department, IMO, but that was before they gave Flacco $100MM contract.

uhhh because you want enough money for draft obligations and then most importantly Free Agency.

Not all teams have the compulsive desire to lock up anybody/everybody as the Texans do.

Can you back up your claim with evidence?

Right now your comment looks like fanboy drivel.

Currently the Texans will start 2014 approx. $8 mil under the cap. They will need $10-$12 to meet 2014 obligations.

In contrast the Colts will start 2014 approx $40-$42 MILLION under the cap.

Because the Texans didn't have cap space they didn't have the cap space to sign Glover Quin and thought they could do better with Ed Reed.....I could go on and on and on......

4 million isn't a disparity worth mentioning. Most fans can name 20 million in cuts easily

Comparing the Texans to the Colts is worthless. The Colts bit the bullet and had nearly 40 million in dead money after their fire sale.

GC's contract was 1 million more guaranteed money for a 2 year longer contract and 1 million less for the 2013 cap hit. It was a wiff of talent evaluation, not a cap casualty.

uhhh because you want enough money for draft obligations and then most importantly Free Agency.

Not all teams have the compulsive desire to lock up anybody/everybody as the Texans do.

Uhhhh... If you're $42MM under the cap, it means you think you're not a very deep team. The fact the the Texans thing they're a deep team may mean that they're not very good in talent evaluation (if you disagree with the depth), but it doesn't have much to do with cap management. Their contracts have been structured in a way that allows them a way out without major issues.

If you're really criticizing the Cushing signing, I'm not sure to hot respond to that.

Edit: Plus the Colts have a QB on his rookie contract. Let's see what happens in 2 years.

Are you not watching SNF? The fact that the Colts have $40 mil to start 2014 not scare you? The Colts do have 24 contracts to replace. I would rather have $40 mil to replace 24 contracts than $8 million to replace 15 contracts like the Texans. That's almost $2 mil per player vs $500k per player. Even after signing Flacco to a $100 mil contract the Ravens were still able to sign 3 Pro Bowl FAs in the off season and just recently have traded for a 1st RD OT.

how can we cut schaub with no cap implications?!?!?!?!???

in '14 it's a 3mil hit, and '15 it's a whopping 7.5mil cap hit...

2015 is pretty major considering the cap is only 120ish.

Uhhhh... If you're $42MM under the cap, it means you think you're not a very deep team. The fact the the Texans thing they're a deep team may mean that they're not very good in talent evaluation (if you disagree with the depth), but it doesn't have much to do with cap management. Their contracts have been structured in a way that allows them a way out without major issues.

If you're really criticizing the Cushing signing, I'm not sure to hot respond to that.

If you're not criticizing the Cushing extension, I'm not sure how to respond to that.

Are you not watching SNF? The fact that the Colts have $40 mil to start 2014 not scare you? The Colts do have 24 contracts to replace. I would rather have $40 mil to replace 24 contracts than $8 million to replace 15 contracts like the Texans. Even after signing Flacco to a $100 mil contract the Ravens were still able to sign 3 Pro Bowl FAs in the off season and just recently have traded for a 1st RD OT.

I completely agree. This guy has no concept of cap management in the NFL. Just let him rot away in his moldy 1 bedroom mobile home.

how can we cut schaub with no cap implications?!?!?!?!???

in '14 it's a 3mil hit, and '15 it's a whopping 7.5mil cap hit...

2015 is pretty major considering the cap is only 120ish.

10.5 million is a large hit but if you take into consideration his replacement will make significantly less, it doesn't mean much. A first round draft pick, plus Schaubs dead money, would be millions less than having Schaub on the roster in 2014 and 2015.

I completely agree. This guy has no concept of cap management in the NFL. Just let him rot away in his moldy 1 bedroom mobile home.

Now I regret responding to you. You haven't brought much insight and are slinging personal insults.

10.5 million is a large hit but if you take into consideration his replacement will make significantly less, it doesn't mean much. A first round draft pick, plus Schaubs dead money, would be millions less than having Schaub on the roster in 2014 and 2015.

haha. 10.5 in dead money is a huge deal no matter how you spin it.

MSR

This is what I've been saying has been the root of the problem. With that said, a great draft which would include 5 major contributors in the OL/DL/DB's would help solve alot of those problems. History says we shouldn't expect this out of a Rick Smith draft class.

What's sad is, even if Case is the answer at QB at a very low cap number, the Texans will still have cap problems. The reason that Gary mortgaged the future is after he decided to sit out the 2010 offseason (Elective surgery, missed the combine, after a glorius 9-7 2009 season) and the team fell on its face. He had to mortgage the future to save his job. This org has been chasing its collective tail since then.

This is as plain as day and I dont understand why some very intelligent posters on this MB cant see the problem.

Back