Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2013   #41
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 140315 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bum Phillips passed away

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
My parents took us to that rally in the dome after the Oilers lost the AFC Championship, one of my earliest memories. RIP Bum, I loved listening to you on the radio before and after Oiler home games my Dad took me to later on when I was in junior high and high school. Hellva live you lived.
I was there too.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #42
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a sad day for Houston, and for Texas as a whole. I especially wish that Bum would've lived to see Bud Adams put in the ground.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #43
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 49584 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Semper Fidelis, Marine.

Quote:
I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same. That I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.
My God, he was an inspiration.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #44
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68808 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't an Oilers fan but I have so much respect for him as a football legend and as a man.

RIP.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #45
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Luv Ya Blue, Bum

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #46
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

My dad was a huge Oilers fan all the way until they moved, and now roots for the Texans. Bum Phillips was his favorite coach, so for christmas last year, I ordered his biography that was signed by him.

I asked them to put "The greatest coach in your life, is your dad". There was a typo in the order though, but his wife personally Emailed me, asking for the correction.

I was very touched by the personality of the order, and my dad was more than happy. He finally got his favorite coaches autograph. Thank you Bum, for all you have done. RIP

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #47
bigfan77801
Plebian

Rep Power: 375 bigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
1. Thank you for enlisting in the Corps after Pearl Harbor and coming home after the war after all the action you saw with Captains bars and a chest full of medals. Semper Fi.

2. Thank you for being a hell of a defensive coordinator and head coach who brought us The Tyler Rose, Dan Pastorini, Kenny Bourroughs, Karl Mauck and the Luv ya Blue era.

3. Thank you for making a kid from South Park in southeast Houston love and want to play the game of football.

4. Thank you for "Knocking on the Door" even though you never got to "kick the sum 3itch in."

& finally

5. Thank you for giving me, the City of Houston and virtually everyone on this board a love of the game of football that survived the man who didn't have the balls to call you into his office to fire you taking our team to Tennessee.

Coach were it not for the love of the game that you fostered in this city Bob McNair probably would have never toyed with the idea of bringing football BACK to the 4th largest city in America. For that I and everyone on this board is in your eternal debt and while we can't hope to repay you, we can thank you. We mourn your passing but celebrate your love of this great game. You will forever be "OUR" coach.
I Agree with everything, but #3 (since I am not from that part of Houston) 110%. Thank you sir for finding the words I lacked.
May God be with Wade and his family.
Old 10-19-2013   #48
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. Thank you for enlisting in the Corps after Pearl Harbor and coming home after the war after all the action you saw with Captains bars and a chest full of medals. Semper Fi.

You'll enjoy reading Bum's words Jesse - Link
Old 10-19-2013   #49
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The most iconic Coach in the history of Houston sports. If he's not the most iconic, it sure doesn't take long to call roll. Thanks for the memories.

http://youtu.be/pyGpzdnVMRE

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #50
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

There are certain people in life you wish you had the opportunity to grab a beer with and just talk to about all kinds of things in life and Bum has always been one of those guys to me.

Rest in Peace Coach!
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #51
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if the Texans would consider an OAB patch or helmet sticker?

Quote:
Bum PhillipsVerified account ‏@BumsCharities

Instead of flowers, please consider a donation to Bum's charity http://www.bumphillipscharities.com/donate #LuvYaBum

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #52
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 81301 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Character matters. Luv ya Blue.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #53
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 66263 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
My parents took us to that rally in the dome after the Oilers lost the AFC Championship, one of my earliest memories. RIP Bum, I loved listening to you on the radio before and after Oiler home games my Dad took me to later on when I was in junior high and high school. Hellva live you lived.
Quote:
I was there too.
Same here. Man, the memories.......

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #54
texdawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 2455 texdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respected

My sig line on a Browns message board for the last 4-5 yrs is a quote from Bum:

"Bum Phillips when asked why he takes his wife on road games-"She's too damn ugly to kiss goodbye"".

I always loved his sense of humor and bigger than life personality.

Much respect---RIP Bum
Old 10-19-2013   #55
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 148026 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. Went to bed early and saw this first thing this morning.

R.I.P. Bum, and thank you kindly.

Today I celebrate and remember the man, but with a heavy heart.

Too many thoughts, too much love to really say much at this point.
Old 10-19-2013   #56
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 64539 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

As I demonstrated in previous threads my mom is really good friends with one of Bum's daughters which has afforded me great signed stuff from Bum the last couple years.

That said, my mom told me this was about to happen earlier this week while he was in the hospital as I was getting inside information. However, I was not really allowed to say anything until he passed and it was public out of respect.

I wish I could have personally met the man and of course R.I.P. Bum!

My mom sent me some family pics passed to her by them that are pretty cool and include some "people" we would all recognize. Unfortunately again, have been instructed not to share but they are something I plan on getting printed up and framed.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #57
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48499 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Huge part of my childhood growing up ... Bum and the Luv Ya Blue days. My heart goes out to Wade and the entire Phillips family. Hey Bum, not sure if there is anything after we leave this earth ... don't personally believe there is. But ... if there is ... and competition is part of it at all ... go kick the son-of-a-***** in.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #58
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Loved that man! What a coach and what a good man. God blessed him with 90 years of life. Thanks for all the memories Bum and thank you for your service to this country. But most of all thank you for loving Jesus.

"I never scrimmage Oilers against Oilers...what for? Houston isn't on our schedule." (Source: The Book of Sports Lists)
Old 10-19-2013   #59
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 66263 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

one of my favorites:

-(referring to Miami Dolphins coach Don Shula) "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n."

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #60
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Knowing there were men like Bum Phillips shaped who I am today.

Thanks Bum!!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read