Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2013   #21
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This is just weird..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post

They overlook that for a reason... because it flat out is NOT true.

Case would've been invited to a camp if he didn't sign here. LMAO, seriously just because the guy was a UDFA does not mean that nobody had a eye on him, they simply didn't want to spend a draft on him (like Gary), but he would've been offered a try out by one of the other 31 teams.

Yeah the teams were forming a line for the texans to skip on him
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #22
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

They overlook that for a reason... because it flat out is NOT true.

Case would've been invited to a camp if he didn't sign here. LMAO, seriously just because the guy was a UDFA does not mean that nobody had a eye on him, they simply didn't want to spend a draft on him (like Gary), but he would've been offered a try out by one of the other 31 teams.
You need a mirror for your rolleyes. Keenam was undrafted. After that all 32 teams had an opportunity to pick up a phone and sign him to their team. So far as we know only Houston made that call. Then once he was waived in cut downs any team could claim him - none did. Then once he cleared waivers any team could have signed him to their practice squad. Then throughout the whole season any team could have grabbed him off the practice squad. All of that without spending a draft pick.
Old 10-18-2013   #23
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72567 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I wish Matt Schaub and the rest of the Texans got as much support as Case is getting right now.
Matt Schaub had PLENTY of support, after 7 years and only one playoff win, not to mention a second half collapse last year and a horrible start this season where you're setting NFL records for pick 6's the support runs dry.

And Texan fans support PLENTY of Texan players.

What you just posted has nothing to do with "support", it's called coddling. Schaub doesn't need to be coddled. I'll remember the good times, his professionalism, but it's time to move on. It's just time.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #24
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 5042 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After thinking about it further, here is the real reason why I think Keenum wasn't named the #2 QB coming out of camp and I can't really blame Kubiak for it.

He didn't want to put Keenum #2 behind a mentally soft and struggling (coming off last season) QB. He wanted to give Schaub every chance to succeed and rebound back to being a solid/above solid starting QB. If Keenum would've been #2 out of the gate, every time Schaub would've thrown a ball over his receiver's head, at his receiver's feet, or thrown a horrible pick at home, the boo birds would've came out calling for Case. Yates being listed at #2 was the protection buffer that Kubiak needed to give Schaub a legit chance to rebound without being hounded by fans in the crowd who would of wanted to see the hometown kid.

It didn't work though... Schaub played like **** still and still looked mentally broken throughout the early part of the season, then when he put in Yates for mop up duty, he fell on his face too. Against the Rams (which if Schaub would've been hurt or not) I believe Schaub was put on notice he was playing for his job. He played decent and completed some passes and avoided the pick.. then bam, he goes down and the crowd cheers. Kubiak throws Yates out there and he plays like **** again. I believe it was right then and there that Kubiak decided he was going to roll with Keenum.

This whole "Yates and Keenum will be splitting carries and then I'll name this week's starter" was probably just lip service to the media. It only took a couple of practices for him to come up and name his starter and I believe Keenum will remain his starter for the rest of the year. The fans have been done with Schaub and I think Kubiak is now too. His inability to stay healthy, inability to make chicken salad when things break down, and his habit of making horrible mistakes at the worst times have cost Kubiak dearly at key points in his Texans' coaching history. I think this 2-4 start (granted it wasn't always Schaub's fault, but Kubiak runs his offense and QBs.. only thing he can truly control) was the straw that broke Kubiak's back.

Outside of injury or absolute horrible play by Keenum, I honestly don't see Schaub returning as the starter this year for the Texans. I don't even think Keenum has to play out of this world to keep the job. I believe even if Keenum has growing pains and struggles at times, Kubiak will still stick with him as long as he's making enough positive plays along the way.
I think you're analysis is spot on. Kubiak was a back-up QB and understands what makes QBs tick. He didn't want to destroy Schaub's psyche...Schaub did that himself. Yates was a comfortable buffer, because he is Matt-lite. I'm praying Case plays great, but even if he doesn't I think he'll give us the best chance to win this weekend. I do believe we will all be entertained.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Case Keenum quickly convinced Kubiak he was the future. I think MS if he recovered from the mental meltdown from 2012 would be QB through 2014 whether he won SB or not. If he did, fans would be ok with Keenum starting 2015 knowing they were coming off a SB season in either '13 or '14. MS will be 34 going into 2015. I think Keenum was to be groomed next two years allowing Yates to get good enough to trade at some point. Not only did MS mess up the plan but so did Yates who had basically one game to shine but he drizzled instead. No one is calling for Yates to get more than one game. The hopefully positive thing will be if Keenum is ready now.

I think McNair has given Kubes rope because either MS recovered and team had a good season or McNair has a chance to be sitting on a goal mine with a home boy bring all sorts of goodies to McNair's pocket. Anyone think Case if successful could sell airtime or PSLs and boxes? What about national attention?
Old 10-18-2013   #26
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72567 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You need a mirror for your rolleyes. Keenum was undrafted. After that all 32 teams had an opportunity to pick up a phone and sign him to their team. So far as we know only Houston made that call. Then once he was waived in cut downs any team could claim him - none did. Then once he cleared waivers any team could have signed him to their practice squad. Then throughout the whole season any team could have grabbed him off the practice squad. All of that without spending a draft pick.
Wrong. I don't need a mirror. (see.. no mirror)

1.) Yes, he was undrafted... so what?
2.) Yes, the other 31 teams had a opportunity to pick up a phone and sign him to their team... who says someone didn't want to or wouldn't? So what's your point? I'm pretty sure when the team down the road called he stopped even fielding calls from other teams. I mean I'm sure the convienence of getting a opportunity in your own backyard was a high selling point.
3.) Case Keenum was part of the final cut down in camp, so why would another team claim a developmental project QB off waivers when the QB didn't go through camp with them, get to learn their playbook, and they already spent their own camp teaching their own signal callers? What you just described is actually pretty normal.
4.) Grabbing him off our practice squad.. see point 3.)

None of what you typed did anything to dispell the notion that if we didn't give Case a opportunity to come to camp that someone else wouldn't. This league is littered with teams signing Ufa's like Case to come to camp every year.. but somehow Gary was Case's "Obi One Ken obi" and his only hope. Again

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 10-18-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2013   #27
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wrong. I don't need a mirror. (see.. no mirror)

1.) Yes, he was undrafted... so what?
2.) Yes, all 31 teams had a opportunity to pick up a phone and sign him to their team... who says someone didn't? So what's your point? I'm pretty sure when the team down the road called he stopped even fielding calls from other teams. I mean I'm sure the convienence of getting a opportunity in your own backyard was a high selling point.
3.) Case Keenum was part of the final cut down in camp, so why the hell would another team claim a developmental project QB off waivers when the QB didn't go through camp with them, get to learn their playbook, and they already spent their own camp teaching their own signal callers? What you just described is actually pretty normal.
4.) Grabbing him off our practice squad.. see point 3.)

None of what you typed did anything to dispell the notion that if we didn't give Case a opportunity to come to camp that someone else wouldn't. This league is littered with teams signing Ufa's like Case to come to camp every year.. but somehow Gary was Case's "Obi One Ken obi" and his only hope. Again

Go ahead and ignore reality, it must be fun to live in fantasy land.
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2013   #28
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Yeah the teams were forming a line for the texans to skip on him
No they weren't

LOL, but that sure as hell would've been more likely than acting like the guy wouldn't have even been invited to a NFL camp if we didn't offer him a invite.
Old 10-18-2013   #29
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Have you people learned nothing from being fans for all of these years? lol TAKE IT EASY on your expectactions
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #30
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Have you people learned nothing from being fans for all of these years? lol TAKE IT EASY on your expectations
I don't really have expectations on how well Keenum will play, I just hope for the best.

The only thing I expect to happen is Keenum will get his shot.. if he doesn't run with it Houston will be drafting a QB very high next season. However regardless of what Keenum does or doesn't do, Schaub is done here and Yates won't be a starter.. reason why we'll be drafting a QB very high if Keenum doesn't capitalize on his chance.
Old 10-18-2013   #31
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
But Keenum didn't beat out Yates for the backup job...
Only bc Kubes is so loyal that he had to go with Yates since he was the QB that lead team to their first playoff game victory and had seniority.

Thx for posting op
Old 10-18-2013   #32
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59514 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
Only bc Kubes is so loyal that he had to go with Yates since he was the QB that lead team to their first playoff game victory and had seniority.

Thx for posting op
You think I don't know that sh!t? Jesus.
Old 10-18-2013   #33
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I wish Matt Schaub and the rest of the Texans got as much support as Case is getting right now.
Seriously MS is pathetic - just stop it. Cheering the injury was gross, but MS crapped in the bed repeatedly and we need to put him behind us.
Old 10-18-2013   #34
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
You think I don't know that sh!t? Jesus.
Relax, it's going to be alright. It should be quite obvious that I thought you might not know that

Jesus back at you

Last edited by MEGA SWATT; 10-18-2013 at 11:40 PM.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #35
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You need a mirror for your rolleyes. Keenam was undrafted. After that all 32 teams had an opportunity to pick up a phone and sign him to their team. So far as we know only Houston made that call. Then once he was waived in cut downs any team could claim him - none did. Then once he cleared waivers any team could have signed him to their practice squad. Then throughout the whole season any team could have grabbed him off the practice squad. All of that without spending a draft pick.
When you consider the sheer amount of UDFA's that end up on 90 man training camp rosters, combined with Chase's collegiate career, it's pretty unlikely that there weren't other teams wanting to bring him in as a UDFA had the Texans not made Case the offer - but as you said, it's something we'll likely never know with certainty.

What we do know is that The Texans and Gary Kubiak made the decision to offer him a free agent contract, they made the decision to give Case some playing time in his first preseason, they made the decision to put him on the practice squad, and keep him there his entire first season. They made the decision to sign him again for the 2013 90 man roster, the decision to let him compete for the backup job, the decision to include him on this season's 53 man roster, and the decision to start him this coming Sunday.

For all those questioning how the decision to start Case was made, think what you want about Kubiak, believe what you want about where McNair fits into this whole scenario, and base that on whatever psychic powers you may think you have when it comes to this stuff, but understand, that at pretty much any point from March of 2012 until today, if Gary Kubiak didn't want Case Keenum associated with the Houston Texans, it's pretty certain he wouldn't be.
Old 10-18-2013   #36
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Awesome post
Old 10-18-2013   #37
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
if Gary Kubiak didn't want Case Keenum associated with the Houston Texans, it's pretty certain he wouldn't be.
The same could be said for a lot players on this roster.

I'm not trying to discredit what Gary Kubiak has done for Case as every QB that has played under him has raved about him and what he's done for their career.. From Steve Young to Jake Plummer to even Sage Rosenfels.. they all speak highly of him till this day. However a lot of what you described, Keenum has also earned, the only thing that was given to him was a invite to camp. He earned a spot on the PS, then earned a roster spot when a lot of people here thought we were just going to sneak him on the PS again, now he's earned the opportunity to start. I credit Kubiak for rewarding him those opportunities, but Keenum still had to earn them.. they weren't given.

My problem is with those acting like Keenum would've had no chance of even stepping on the confines of a NFL practice field if it wasn't for Gary Kubiak and that's flat out ridiculous and asinine, of coarse he would have. There is a lot less accomplished players that get burn every year. We saw one here in Alex Brink who was actually drafted in the 7th round.

For people who even follow the NFL draft process, it's even impossible to say that nobody would've been willing to spend a late round flier on him. 7th round picks are nothing, but glorified UDFAs. A team could of told him, if you're there we'll take you and then said team saw a guy that they had a 5th to 6th round grade on fall and and that player was there when their 7th round pick came up. We hear about these type of stories all the time. This is why I put a lot of value difference between a late round pick and UDFA. We should of all learned this lesson with Arian Foster or how Jefferson outplayed every one of the OLBers we drafted this past draft. There's a multiple of ways to get in this league.

I highly doubt if Houston didn't sign Keenum coming out of college that he never would've got a look at in somebody's camp.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 10-19-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-19-2013   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
I think under any other coach, he would have.
agree we all know Kubes loyalty problems, i am shocked he did this. This is an obvious save your job and the season move. Glad he made it though.
Under any other coach he wouldn't have been signed at all. Amazing the Case crew seems to overlook that what talking about Gary and how he handles things
you dont know that for sure, he is a home town kid. You dont know what any other coach would of done.
But you do?

The point is Gary signed him as an UDFA, Gary signed him to the 53, Gary is giving him an opportunity to start this Sunday..... but that's not good enough? Some imaginary coach would have started Case from day one right? Probably drafted him with the #1 overall pick.

Kubiak should be getting Kudos, not criticism.
Old 10-19-2013   #39
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
everything he said was true including outplaying TJ Yates in the preseason. I mean it was close but not really. Offense flowed when Case was there.

The aura was strong.

Aura levels approaching 85.7%.

I think that's when Dre was first infected by it. Only reason why Yates was named #2 was because of Kubiak's seniority status philosophy.
Yes, the Force is strong with this one!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #40
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
But you do?

The point is Gary signed him as an UDFA, Gary signed him to the 53, Gary is giving him an opportunity to start this Sunday..... but that's not good enough? Some imaginary coach would have started Case from day one right? Probably drafted him with the #1 overall pick.

Kubiak should be getting Kudos, not criticism.
Is this is directed at me?, if it is you missed what this whole debate is even about or what I'm talking about, because I haven't been very critical of Kubiak.

I'm criticizing some of the posts that you quoted which say Keenum never would've been signed anywhere if Kubiak didn't give him a shot. Which is again ludicrous.

Gary/Smith (why we keep leaving this man's name out I don't understand.. he is the G.M.)

Gary and Smith just didn't "sign him to the 53 man roster spot".. He earned his way to a 53 man roster. I have no doubts they wanted him on the team, but his play made it impossible to try to get him through waivers again. Give the kid some credit, he earned his way here. Just like he earned his way to a PS spot his rookie season. He was given a "looksee" and has worked towards all the doors that are now opening for him.. whether he is able to step through that door is a different debate that isn't going to take place until after weeks of play.

As far as coaches starting him from day one and drafting him in the first round. People need to get off that too, Chances are this kid is not going to succeed, chances are he's going to fall flat on his face and not be our franchise QB so people really need to stop with the Drew Brees talk. However do I hope for a level of success anywhere near that you bet your ass I do.

Still though the odds are severely stacked against him, but they've always been and he's made it this far.. I'll just take a wait and see approach and hope he keeps overcoming the odds, he's pretty much Rocky Balboa at this point.. and that was a fantastic movie. Who doesn't love the underdog?

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 10-19-2013 at 12:50 AM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read